OSU coach gets 3 game suspension

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Meyer put on paid leave while the matter is investigated:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/urban-meye ... 23593.html

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:49 pm Meyer put on paid leave while the matter is investigated:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/urban-meye ... 23593.html
does OSU have Les Miles' phone number ?
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Top of the WAVE

LOL. I hope so.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:09 pm LOL. I hope so.
+1
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
RobertM320
Green Wave

There's a possibility this thing gets really messy. I was listening to Steve Gorman on the radio this afternoon, and they were discussing it. Seems that the wife that was beaten sent out texts in 2015 to all the wives of the coaches on the staff, informing them of what was going on, including photos. You know they would have brought it up to their husbands. So all these guys knew and didn't report it. Meyer's wife actually works as a nurse at the OSU clinic. She'll lose her job because she's required by Title IX rules to report it. Since this was in 2015, they were bringing up the other coaches that were there at the time who may end up affected by this. One was the guy who is now HC at Rutgers, the other was Luke Fickell, the HC at Cincinnati. Will be interesting to see how this story develops. No telling what condition the program may be in when we play them if a bunch of these guys get suspended or fired.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Even if Urban Meyer is fired the day before we play them, I'd still be inclined to lay the points. This doesn't change the roster, and OSU is not going to fire the whole staff this close to the start of the season.

Then again, maybe they'll pay us the $1.5 million and cancel their season. Who knows?
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

OSU will talk the PC thing, but do they have the balls to fire Meyer, in this day and age abuse of any kind should not be tolerated, hell abuse of any kind should never HAVE been tolerated, The ole Urban Legend has been a slow learner or at best a remedial student, his time to go is now...OSU, show us you have the "Nuts" to fire Meyer

http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... ng-scandal

https://www.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/2018 ... le_of.html
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Wave755
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:26 pm OSU will talk the PC thing, but do they have the balls to fire Meyer, in this day and age abuse of any kind should not be tolerated, hell abuse of any kind should never HAVE been tolerated, The ole Urban Legend has been a slow learner or at best a remedial student, his time to go is now...OSU, show us you have the "Nuts" to fire Meyer

http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... ng-scandal

https://www.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/2018 ... le_of.html
Urban Meyer is toast, the stream of text messages to Meyer's wife from the assistant Zach Smith's wife spell Urban Meyer's doom. If OSU didn't intend on firing him he would not be on "paid administrative leave," 30 days before OSU's first game of the year. No one will ever believe his wife didn't tell him of what was going on with Zach Smith.
RobertM320
Green Wave

DfromCT wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:17 pm Even if Urban Meyer is fired the day before we play them, I'd still be inclined to lay the points. This doesn't change the roster, and OSU is not going to fire the whole staff this close to the start of the season.

Then again, maybe they'll pay us the $1.5 million and cancel their season. Who knows?
If the let Meyer go, they pretty much have to let every other coach that was there at the time go as well. They all knew about it. It very well could be most of the staff.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:05 pm
DfromCT wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:17 pm Even if Urban Meyer is fired the day before we play them, I'd still be inclined to lay the points. This doesn't change the roster, and OSU is not going to fire the whole staff this close to the start of the season.

If the let Meyer go, they pretty much have to let every other coach that was there at the time go as well. They all knew about it. It very well could be most of the staff.
IF that were the case, I'd imagine they would keep him on Leave and sometime in November announce he's been terminated, then fire the staff at season's end, maybe even decline a bowl game. The alternative, to fire the whole staff in August, would probably mean cancelling the season. That would be taking the high ground, but would also be very costly to OSU. I don't see it happening, but you never know.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Pretty soon we can rename this thread..."OSU Coach LEAVING "

http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... estigation
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

golfnut69 wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:16 am Pretty soon we can rename this thread..."OSU Coach LEAVING "

http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... estigation
Thanks for posting this. There's no shortage of candidates that were NOT on OSU's staff when the allegations took place in 2015. Greg Schiano has been a head coach in the NFL and at Rutgers, where he enjoyed success. The interim HC, who is the OC, joined the staff last year. My point being they could fire Urban Meyer (and possibly some of the assistants) but still have a season. I don't think Meyer coaches a game this season, and is done at Ohio State, possibly done for his career.
Show Me
Tsunami

15 years ago I saw a worker hit his wife at a party but didn’t report it. Can I lose my job since I’m now his boss. Should I go to HR and report him and save my job or should I fire him for something he did 15 years ago? Should I take no action and wait for his wife to report me for not reporting it?
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Show Me wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:56 am 15 years ago I saw a worker hit his wife at a party but didn’t report it. Can I lose my job since I’m now his boss. Should I go to HR and report him and save my job or should I fire him for something he did 15 years ago? Should I take no action and wait for his wife to report me for not reporting it?
Just resign before it goes public. :mrgreen:
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Wave755
Tsunami

Show Me wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:56 am 15 years ago I saw a worker hit his wife at a party but didn’t report it. Can I lose my job since I’m now his boss. Should I go to HR and report him and save my job or should I fire him for something he did 15 years ago? Should I take no action and wait for his wife to report me for not reporting it?
But in Urban Meyer's case Zach Smith's wife claims in 2015 she even texted pictures to Urban Meyer's wife showing those injuies of physical abuse by Smith. No one will ever believe Meyer's wife didn't tell Meyer about the allegations against Smith or fail to show Meyer the pictures texted by Smith's wife.

And, I believe under Title 9, not just OSU department rules, Meyer was obligated to make a report?
greenphantom
Swell

Unless something more comes out, I think he will be suspended but not fired.
Wave755
Tsunami

greenphantom wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:46 pm Unless something more comes out, I think he will be suspended but not fired.
I think the test will be “knowledge,” if Meyer had knowledge of the abuse allegations against Smith, OSU has no choice but to fire him. And, the termination will be “for cause,” so OSU will contend it owes Meyer nothing on the remainder of his contract. And, the NYT reports the Title 9 reporting requirement was even recited and included in Meyer’s contract.

And, if Meyer lied about this for his latest press conference?
Wave755
Tsunami

Full Interview: Courtney Smith Discusses Domestic Violence Allegations

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3qX5NpgGDA&t=912s

Meyer is done, but maybe OSU will do some kind of settlement with him just to quickly, fully and finally resolve this mess rather than simply a cold, "you're fired for cause." But, if so, Meyer won't get his $38 million, that's for sure.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

This is a touchy situation. Proving he knew or didn't know that one of his assistants was abusive to his wife will not be easy. At the same time, if OSU takes the high road, he's toast. If they want the $$ that goes along with winning and getting to the ESPN final four, they'll keep him. His track record, with all the recruiting issues and behavior issues with players at Florida and OSU will not help. I think he's gone.
Wave755
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:19 pm This is a touchy situation. Proving he knew or didn't know that one of his assistants was abusive to his wife will not be easy. At the same time, if OSU takes the high road, he's toast. If they want the $$ that goes along with winning and getting to the ESPN final four, they'll keep him. His track record, with all the recruiting issues and behavior issues with players at Florida and OSU will not help. I think he's gone.
Should Urban Meyer throw his wife Shelley “under the bus”? From the text messages from Smith’s wife Courtney together with photographs to Meyer’s wife Shelley, we know conclusively Shelley knew? Are we to believe from 2015 to 2018 Shelley told Urban nothing of this? For a lawsuit Shelley and Urban would have to testify under oath both at deposition and trial. A trier of fact, either judge or jury, will find as not credible Shelley and Urban testifying she, Shelley, didn’t tell Urban of Courney Smith’s texts and telephone calls.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Can a wife be forced to testify against her husband?

Is this a case that would go to trial over Urban Meyer's knowledge or lack thereof? I think not. It's an OSU investigation and will probably become an NCAA (holier than thou until it cost the NCAA $$) investigation.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Wave755 wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:22 pm
DfromCT wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:19 pm This is a touchy situation. Proving he knew or didn't know that one of his assistants was abusive to his wife will not be easy. At the same time, if OSU takes the high road, he's toast. If they want the $$ that goes along with winning and getting to the ESPN final four, they'll keep him. His track record, with all the recruiting issues and behavior issues with players at Florida and OSU will not help. I think he's gone.
Should Urban Meyer throw his wife Shelley “under the bus”? From the text messages from Smith’s wife Courtney together with photographs to Meyer’s wife Shelley, we know conclusively Shelley knew? Are we to believe from 2015 to 2018 Shelley told Urban nothing of this? For a lawsuit Shelley and Urban would have to testify under oath both at deposition and trial. A trier of fact, either judge or jury, will find as not credible Shelley and Urban testifying she, Shelley, didn’t tell Urban of Courney Smith’s texts and telephone calls.
I may be incorrect, but I think there is an incident when Urban and Shelley asked Courtney not to file a criminal complaint, that they would get her husband counseling and have him over to their home for Bible Study....this just in...an interview with Zac Smith, he admits Meyer knew about the alleged abuse......
Wave755
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:28 pm Can a wife be forced to testify against her husband?

Is this a case that would go to trial over Urban Meyer's knowledge or lack thereof? I think not. It's an OSU investigation and will probably become an NCAA (holier than thou until it cost the NCAA $$) investigation.
As a general rule no, but Shelley as a nurse for the program is bound by the same Title 9 reporting requirement as Urban. And, I would assume for an OSU administrative hearing they would both be questioned and at trial the husband-wife privilege can be waived. A jury would expect that they both testify.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Wave755 wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:45 pm
DfromCT wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:28 pm Can a wife be forced to testify against her husband?

As a general rule no, but Shelley as a nurse for the program is bound by the same Title 9 reporting requirement as Urban. And, I would assume for an OSU administrative hearing they would both be questioned and at trial the husband-wife privilege can be waived. A jury would expect that they both testify.
in an interview with ABC this afternoon, Coach Smith admitted that Urban knew about the alleged abuse...it was on the 6pm news here in Austin
Wave755
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:48 pm
Wave755 wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:45 pm

in an interview with ABC this afternoon, Coach Smith admitted that Urban knew about the alleged abuse...it was on the 6pm news here in Austin
Smith interviewed right now on ESPN.