Poll: Should we play LSU in Wally Pontif Classic

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Post Reply

Should we play LSU at the Wally Pontif Classic?

Yes
2
7%
No
25
93%
 
Total votes: 27
RollWaveRoll
Low Tide
Posts: 150
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:21 am
Status: Offline

Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:46 am

Testing this out....see if this works. Vote away!


User avatar
NOLABigSteve
Riptide
Posts: 3092
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:00 am
Location: New Orleans, LA
Contact:
Status: Offline

Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:50 am

Please vote on Twitter as well:
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
golfnut69
Green Wave
Posts: 7849
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Online

Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:59 am

and I hate like hell that the playground I grew up at is now named for Pontiff
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
User avatar
ajcalhoun
Swell
Posts: 1896
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:42 pm
Status: Offline

Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:20 pm

golfnut69 wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:59 am
and I hate like hell that the playground I grew up at is now named for Pontiff
I'm sure the kid would be happy to trade places with you.
Welcome to gotula.net, where it's never too late to mention Tanner Lee, Andy Cannizaro, Lindsey Scott Jr., Rich Rodriguez, David Pierce, or, of course, Scott Cowen. You see, no horse here is so dead that it cannot be beaten just a little bit more.
golfnut69
Green Wave
Posts: 7849
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Online

Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:23 pm

ajcalhoun wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:20 pm
golfnut69 wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:59 am
and I hate like hell that the playground I grew up at is now named for Pontiff
I'm sure the kid would be happy to trade places with you.
Just because U die, doesn't mean you have a building or a street named after you, there are several young men who died way before Pontiff, and the name was not changed because their parents did not pay off the right people. I may be incorrect and TPS may be of help, but if memory serves, Pontiff grew up playing at Lakeshore Playground...The Pontiff family did not think that Lakeshore was large enough for the name to be changed there, so Metairie Playground was targeted... I should change my original post from "hate" to "disappointed'
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 17864
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:15 pm

golfnut69 wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:23 pm
ajcalhoun wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:20 pm
golfnut69 wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:59 am
and I hate like hell that the playground I grew up at is now named for Pontiff
I'm sure the kid would be happy to trade places with you.
Just because U die, doesn't mean you have a building or a street named after you, there are several young men who died way before Pontiff, and the name was not changed because their parents did not pay off the right people. I may be incorrect and TPS may be of help, but if memory serves, Pontiff grew up playing at Lakeshore Playground...The Pontiff family did not think that Lakeshore was large enough for the name to be changed there, so Metairie Playground was targeted... I should change my original post from "hate" to "disappointed'
Not sure. But this says he grew up playing at Metairie Playground.
http://www.wallypontiffjr.org/playgroun ... ation.html
Wally Pontiff Jr. starred in baseball and basketball at Metairie Playground from age 8 to 15. He graduated from Jesuit High School in New Orleans where he batted .471 in his senior season.
Stadiums get old, winning never does.
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Green Wave
Posts: 7849
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Online

Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:07 pm

tpstulane wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:15 pm
golfnut69 wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:23 pm
ajcalhoun wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:20 pm
golfnut69 wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:59 am
and I hate like hell that the playground I grew up at is now named for Pontiff
I'm sure the kid would be happy to trade places with you.
Just because U die, doesn't mean you have a building or a street named after you, there are several young men who died way before Pontiff, and the name was not changed because their parents did not pay off the right people. I may be incorrect and TPS may be of help, but if memory serves, Pontiff grew up playing at Lakeshore Playground...The Pontiff family did not think that Lakeshore was large enough for the name to be changed there, so Metairie Playground was targeted... I should change my original post from "hate" to "disappointed'
Not sure. But this says he grew up playing at Metairie Playground.
http://www.wallypontiffjr.org/playgroun ... ation.html
Wally Pontiff Jr. starred in baseball and basketball at Metairie Playground from age 8 to 15. He graduated from Jesuit High School in New Orleans where he batted .471 in his senior season.
TPS...thanks for that link... There were many kids who grew up at Metry playground who were excellent students and had success at their chosen sport.... that said, I do not think any building or public venue should be named after anyone, if you don't pay to have it built or developed, it doesn't get your name
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Profoundwizard
Swell
Posts: 1109
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:50 pm
Status: Offline

Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:24 pm

golfnut69 wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:07 pm
tpstulane wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:15 pm
golfnut69 wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:23 pm
ajcalhoun wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:20 pm
golfnut69 wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:59 am
and I hate like hell that the playground I grew up at is now named for Pontiff
I'm sure the kid would be happy to trade places with you.
Just because U die, doesn't mean you have a building or a street named after you, there are several young men who died way before Pontiff, and the name was not changed because their parents did not pay off the right people. I may be incorrect and TPS may be of help, but if memory serves, Pontiff grew up playing at Lakeshore Playground...The Pontiff family did not think that Lakeshore was large enough for the name to be changed there, so Metairie Playground was targeted... I should change my original post from "hate" to "disappointed'
Not sure. But this says he grew up playing at Metairie Playground.
http://www.wallypontiffjr.org/playgroun ... ation.html
Wally Pontiff Jr. starred in baseball and basketball at Metairie Playground from age 8 to 15. He graduated from Jesuit High School in New Orleans where he batted .471 in his senior season.
TPS...thanks for that link... There were many kids who grew up at Metry playground who were excellent students and had success at their chosen sport.... that said, I do not think any building or public venue should be named after anyone, if you don't pay to have it built or developed, it doesn't get your name
It’s a silly thing to be upset over
golfnut69
Green Wave
Posts: 7849
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Online

Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:12 pm

Profoundwizard wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:24 pm
golfnut69 wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:07 pm
tpstulane wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:15 pm
golfnut69 wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:23 pm
ajcalhoun wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:20 pm
golfnut69 wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:59 am
and I hate like hell that the playground I grew up at is now named for Pontiff
I'm sure the kid would be happy to trade places with you.
Just because U die, doesn't mean you have a building or a street named after you, there are several young men who died way before Pontiff, and the name was not changed because their parents did not pay off the right people. I may be incorrect and TPS may be of help, but if memory serves, Pontiff grew up playing at Lakeshore Playground...The Pontiff family did not think that Lakeshore was large enough for the name to be changed there, so Metairie Playground was targeted... I should change my original post from "hate" to "disappointed'
Not sure. But this says he grew up playing at Metairie Playground.
http://www.wallypontiffjr.org/playgroun ... ation.html
Wally Pontiff Jr. starred in baseball and basketball at Metairie Playground from age 8 to 15. He graduated from Jesuit High School in New Orleans where he batted .471 in his senior season.
TPS...thanks for that link... There were many kids who grew up at Metry playground who were excellent students and had success at their chosen sport.... that said, I do not think any building or public venue should be named after anyone, if you don't pay to have it built or developed, it doesn't get your name
It’s a silly thing to be upset over
I knew there was a money trail someplace...I played ball with Barry Bordelon and was coached by Elton Lagasse at EJ
https://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf ... t_111.html
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Sunamiwave
Ripple
Posts: 21
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:42 pm
Status: Offline

Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:17 pm

Heck no we should never play them at Zephyr. If Dannen allows this game to go forward with Tulane playing in the WPC in 2020 we will never get LSU to ever come back to Turchin. I still can’t believe Dannen told LSU yes to this but hopefully he will change his mind if he hears from enough Tulane fans on this.
User avatar
RobertM320
Tsunami
Posts: 6494
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:18 pm
Location: Destrehan, LA
Contact:
Status: Offline

Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:54 pm

Sunamiwave wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:17 pm
Heck no we should never play them at Zephyr. If Dannen allows this game to go forward with Tulane playing in the WPC in 2020 we will never get LSU to ever come back to Turchin. I still can’t believe Dannen told LSU yes to this but hopefully he will change his mind if he hears from enough Tulane fans on this.
I agree with this. I also know there's been talk of us being the permanent opponent in the WPC. It would keep us playing every year and we wouldn't have to go to the Box either, Not sure what I think of that proposal. Probably against that as well.
"ASK AND YE SHALL RECEIVE! HANG EM AND BANG EM! HANG EM AND BANG EM!"-- Todd Graffagnini
User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 17864
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:25 am

Here’s why we should not get tied down with that game. We are visitors.
https://www.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/2018 ... strybutton
Stadiums get old, winning never does.
Tulane Class of 1981
Post Reply