Seat Licenses/Priority Seating Charge

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
GreenLantern
Riptide

Show Me wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:26 am Probably like most fans I enjoy good seats. I currently buy 2 tickets in football, 2 basketball and 3 for baseball. I will not move seats to pay less. I’ll have to drop some now. I’m not going to donate another penny to any losing sport. So much for building your fan base. How is this going to increase season ticket sales?
If a casual fan is willing to accept poor seats and is interested in season tickets for only a single sport, this could slightly increase ticket sales. The real casualties will be those of us who care enough about the program to read, write, and talk about Tulane sports daily and support the program by purchasing season tickets for multiple sports. For example, my annual donation will increase by more than threefold.

This marketing strategy clearly carries the message that "there are so few season ticket subscribers who support multiple sports that you are of little concern to our overall action plan." So thank you very much and pony up and shut up.

Like you, I may be much less patient with poor or declining programs by purchasing multiple season tickets, no matter how much I love my alma mater. Those of us who purchased an additional one or two tickets will probably reconsider this. Also, corporate buyers that purchase multiple season tickets as a goodwill gesture and for giveaways will be disheartened by this. Hope this strategy works, but I don't see it happening.
nawlinspete
Riptide

All we have to do from now on is, to revise Nike slogan, JUST WALK UP ten minutes before game time.

This Dannen stupidity GUARANTEES empty stadia....
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

GreenLantern wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:24 am
Show Me wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:26 am Probably like most fans I enjoy good seats. I currently buy 2 tickets in football, 2 basketball and 3 for baseball. I will not move seats to pay less. I’ll have to drop some now. I’m not going to donate another penny to any losing sport. So much for building your fan base. How is this going to increase season ticket sales?
If a casual fan is willing to accept poor seats and is interested in season tickets for only a single sport, this could slightly increase ticket sales. The real casualties will be those of us who care enough about the program to read, write, and talk about Tulane sports daily and support the program by purchasing season tickets for multiple sports. For example, my annual donation will increase by more than threefold.

This marketing strategy clearly carries the message that "there are so few season ticket subscribers who support multiple sports that you are of little concern to our overall action plan." So thank you very much and pony up and shut up.

Like you, I may be much less patient with poor or declining programs by purchasing multiple season tickets, no matter how much I love my alma mater. Those of us who purchased an additional one or two tickets will probably reconsider this. Also, corporate buyers that purchase multiple season tickets as a goodwill gesture and for giveaways will be disheartened by this. Hope this strategy works, but I don't see it happening.
I do 4 seats every year and now with this “seating license” I’m going to be able to only do 2 seats per year. Good luck filling the stadium Tulane...

On a side note, do we still have reps in here on the fan committee? If so, maybe they can help make a stink.
GreenLantern
Riptide

And to continue on my soapbox, this new marketing strategy will exacerbate another of my hotbutton issues and that is seat poaching. I hardly ever go to a game when I do not observe or are directly affected by poachers. Arrive fifteen minutes late? Someone will have claimed your seats. At halftime, spend an additional few minutes visiting and socializing in the food court before returning to your assigned seating....poached.

Why should people pay premium license fees for good seats when they can and will simply sit whereever they wish? The increased seat licenses will greatly worsen this problem. The better your seats, the worse the problem with poachers.

Note to administration: paying a few dollars to maintain a security monitor at each gate entrance and checking tickets throughout the entire game will diminish this problem. It would also be nice to have a monitor in each section that observes and (politely) challenges folks who are clearly moving from one area to another.
anEngineer
Riptide

Maybe I am missing something. I don't see anything with regard to the prices of the tickets. It's hard to make decisions about how much you are willing to spend unless you have all of the information. I fully agree that basing donations per seat instead of some abitrary group of seats makes sense, but some of the information seems to be missing.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

anEngineer wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:17 am Maybe I am missing something. I don't see anything with regard to the prices of the tickets. It's hard to make decisions about how much you are willing to spend unless you have all of the information. I fully agree that basing donations per seat instead of some abitrary group of seats makes sense, but some of the information seems to be missing.
I doubt the price of tickets will go down any. If so, the required donation will more than make up for it. At the end of the day, it is going to cost more $ to see a Tulane game.
Roll Wave!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

we are all familiar with the term "walk on"...I will now be a "walk up' and since I live almost 600 miles from campus, the likely hood of me "walking up", anytime soon is ZERO ...so Tulane will now lose my season ticket(s) revenue and the count towards attendance.....and while I am on my rant....my 2018 Season Tickets have yet to be delivered !!!!
Last edited by golfnut69 on Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Show Me
Tsunami

Once again Tulane finds a way to punish loyalty. I’ll never forgive them for taking away my home plate seats in baseball that now go empty. They should teach a course on how to runoff fans because they are the best in the business at this. I suspect many current season ticket holders will be forced to cut back or pay more for a piss poor product. This move will kill any demand for new season ticket purchases.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

NOLABigSteve wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:18 pm
anEngineer wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:17 am Maybe I am missing something. I don't see anything with regard to the prices of the tickets. It's hard to make decisions about how much you are willing to spend unless you have all of the information. I fully agree that basing donations per seat instead of some abitrary group of seats makes sense, but some of the information seems to be missing.
I doubt the price of tickets will go down any. If so, the required donation will more than make up for it. At the end of the day, it is going to cost more $ to see a Tulane game.
I stand corrected.
https://twitter.com/TulaneAthletics/sta ... 2467496960
Roll Wave!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

NOLABigSteve wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:46 pm
NOLABigSteve wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:18 pm
I stand corrected.
https://twitter.com/TulaneAthletics/sta ... 2467496960
I look forward to the $50 season tickets! :mrgreen: ;)
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
TURVS71
Swell

Still a bit confused. Per seat? I have 6 football season tickets for which I pay well over $1,000. So another $600?
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

TURVS71 wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:11 pm Still a bit confused. Per seat? I have 6 football season tickets for which I pay well over $1,000. So another $600?
Possibly. Check the pic posted on the Stadium sections. Depending on your seat location. Remember Baseball and Basketball will also require their own separate donations.
Tulane Class of 1981
Wavetime
Swell

Does anyone know how many other AAC teams have seat licenses?
RobertM320
Green Wave

I would have to think that a good number of people with season tickets in multiple sports are on this board. Is there ANYONE who can say they're the "average priority seating ticket holder" that's actually going to save the $1000? Anyone?
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Show Me
Tsunami

RobertM320 wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:59 pm I would have to think that a good number of people with season tickets in multiple sports are on this board. Is there ANYONE who can say they're the "average priority seating ticket holder" that's actually going to save the $1000? Anyone?
They must really think we’re idiots. Why do it then if it’s going to cost them a $1000 per Priority ticket holder? If you buy multiple sports it will cost more. The example they gave was only football.
Oh to answer your question I’ll drop a bunch of tickets and get my $1000 savings.
This is what you do when your AD fails at raising money. You tax your diehard supporters.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:59 pm I would have to think that a good number of people with season tickets in multiple sports are on this board. Is there ANYONE who can say they're the "average priority seating ticket holder" that's actually going to save the $1000? Anyone?
Do we have next year's ticket prices yet?
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Show Me wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:24 pm
They must really think we’re idiots. Why do it then if it’s going to cost them a $1000 per Priority ticket holder? If you buy multiple sports it will cost more. The example they gave was only football.
Oh to answer your question I’ll drop a bunch of tickets and get my $1000 savings.
This is what you do when your AD fails at raising money. You tax your diehard supporters.
Exactly. No way they're doing it to give up revenue. If they are then that reflects even more poorly on TD. :roll:
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
GreenLantern
Riptide

winwave wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:33 pm Do we have next year's ticket prices yet?
I'm going to make a leap of faith and guess that there is no ever-loving way that anyone would be so stupid as to raise prices in addition to implementing the new seat license fees.
ajcalhoun
Swell

GreenLantern wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:56 pm I'm going to make a leap of faith and guess that there is no ever-loving way that anyone would be so stupid as to raise prices in addition to implementing the new seat license fees.
Watch Tulane say "Hold my beer!"
God Bless Everyone!
anEngineer
Riptide

winwave wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:33 pm
I agree. It's impossible to fully assess the situation until the full seat AND ticket prices are announced. If ticket prices are getting shifted to Green Wave Club donations, it could actually be somewhat of a tax benefit.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

anEngineer wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:27 pm
winwave wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:33 pm
I agree. It's impossible to fully assess the situation until the full seat AND ticket prices are announced. If ticket prices are getting shifted to Green Wave Club donations, it could actually be somewhat of a tax benefit.
That would be nice. I doubt that's the case though as there has been discussion that recent tax changes are going to eliminate such donations as a tax deduction.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

It’s not tax deductible. You are paying more for a better seat. So you are in turn getting something of value for your money. Because of this it is not considered a donation for tax purposes. If you give straight to the GWC with no benefits that would be considered tax deductible. In this case you are just paying more for a better seat. It also kills a company match donation. Since it’s not considered a donation corporations won’t be able to match for tax purposes.
Bottom line it’s a ticket hike that the IRS isn’t going to pickup. You alone are going to be paying more for your good seat.

Winwave is correct. Google search:
All contributions to Athletics are considered gifts to the University and are credited at full value for purposes of the donor's gift record at the University. As of January 2018, a contribution that entitles the donor to purchase tickets is no longer deductible as a charitable contribution for income tax purposes, according to IRS Code.

Consult your tax advisor for more information.
https://blog.case.org/2018/01/26/the-co ... ow-so-far/
What does the new law do?

Preston Quesenberry: The new law essentially replaces the 80 percent in the 80/20 rule with 0 percent. This means that, as of Jan. 1, 2018, donors who make a contribution to or for the benefit of a college or university in exchange for the right to purchase tickets or seating at an athletic event in the university’s stadium can no longer take a charitable deduction on 80 percent of the contribution.

The law clearly states that, “no charitable deduction will be allowed for any amount” of these contributions.
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

The rest of the Story or just plain Propaganda....your choice

https://www.greenwaveclub.com/per-seat-home
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:20 pm The rest of the Story or just plain Propaganda....your choice

https://www.greenwaveclub.com/per-seat-home
Interesting they are having Town Hall meetings on this. Maybe the NIMBYS can stop it. :mrgreen:
Tulane Class of 1981