Seat Licenses/Priority Seating Charge

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
GreenLantern
Riptide

A few days ago I heard mentioned the possibility of seat license requirements for renewing season ticket holders. I decided I would discuss this with my Tulane account representative and what better time than when I called to renew my basketball season tickets. I managed to go through all five stages of the Elisabeth Kübler-Ross' model for dealing with grief (DENIAL-ANGER-BARGAINING-DEPRESSION-ACCEPTANCE) in only one 15 minute phone call with the ticket office.

"This can't be happening! Why those a**holes will alienate the pitifully small remaining fan base with one policy change. Maybe I can send a few emails and the administration will reconsider. Oh sh*t...I probably will have to give up some or all of my season tickets. Oh well, I gave up baseball this year, basketball will show no improvement this year and Fritz is certain to leave after he has a great season".

See what I did there? In five sentences I was able to address all five phases of the grief thing and have begun to move on. You should too.

Oh by the way, my account rep said that there WILL be 'town hall' meetings to discuss the ticket seat licensing and they would probably be held within the next few weeks. I'm a cynical guy, but this sounds a lot like placating the masses: request their feedback, make them feel a part of the process, and then do what you wanted anyway.
Last edited by GreenLantern on Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Aberzombie1892
Swell

Does anyone know the pricing for the seat licenses?
GreenLantern
Riptide

Aberzombie1892 wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:08 pm Does anyone know the pricing for the seat licenses?
The Tulane account rep indicated that many options were to be discussed and suggestions heard before a decision was made. He indicated that some of the ideas included 1)licensing for each family for all season tickets (football, basketball, etc.), and 2) licensing for each sport.

I would be very surprised if a decision had not been already made by administration and the town-meeting strategy intended solely to placate those few remaining, worrisome, diehard fans.

I gave my two-cent opinion which was: if Tulane does not wish to alienate any remaining fans, their top three priorities must be:
  • Winning games
  • winning games
  • winning games
If and only if this happens, the fans will come in such numbers as to resolve any financial problems.
Sunamiwave
High Tide

You don’t need a MBA from Tulane to know that the athletic department should cancel their seat license plans until football and basketball have at least a couple of years of continuous success. As things currently stand, if Tulane goes forward with this they will further suppress demand, which will result in even sparser crowds and fewer season ticket holders than we have now. All one needs is basic common sense to know how this will turn out. Only at Tulane!!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Is there an official "Seat License" Test U have to take...I want to make sure I sit in the proper position and not fly by the "seat" of my pants
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I appreciate and share your take on this lantern. I spoke to someone higher than our ticket reps about this. They too claim the plan is a work in progress. At this point it would be something along the lines of your GWC donation being apportioned to each sport that you want a season ticket for. They didn't have a much better explanation than that other than to claim it wouldn't make you have to put up more than you do now. I'l have to see that to believe that.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

With next to zero demand for tickets, seat licenses would be the end of many season ticket holder purchases. We need to win and win big and regularly to create demand. If and when we have demand, seat licenses MIGHT not drive off our fans. Right now it would kill the fan base that, quite frankly, should be rewarded for their loyalty rather than pinched for their dollars.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Tulane is in a tough spot here. Nobody wants to pay more and Tulane would rather not have to do it. The problem it’s faced with is that there’s a need to somehow replace the Yulman stadium pledges that are soon to be rolling off. To compete with the other AAC schools and to become attractive to a P5 conference it must greatly increase the financial support it currently receives outside of its university support. Unfortunately it’s currently the same diehard fans that attend and donate all they can now. The only way to change this is to broaden the base by winning.
I’m hoping that if winning occurs people will be ok paying more but unless that happens many may choose re-evaluate support for certain sports. This has been talked about many times in the past but has never been followed through on. I believe until we have the demand this may not work out as intended. We can’t afford to chase off any fans at this stage. A lot will be riding on this football season. So we’ll know soon after that.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
galvezwave
Swell

DfromCT wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:53 pm With next to zero demand for tickets, seat licenses would be the end of many season ticket holder purchases. We need to win and win big and regularly to create demand. If and when we have demand, seat licenses MIGHT not drive off our fans. Right now it would kill the fan base that, quite frankly, should be rewarded for their loyalty rather than pinched for their dollars.
These buffoons aren’t fooling anyone. I thought we were progressing towards a more forward thinking athletic department but it’s the same bs. Scared to death to simply allow the programs to EARN their support on the field. The mere threat of a half decent season and these idiots roll out this license wet blanket shit 42 days before kickoff of the most promising season in many many years. Fleece the dying diehards one more time before fritz wins and bolts for Kansas and replace him with the head water boy. We’re trying to get excited about a football season, assholes.
galvezwave
Swell

tpstulane wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:19 pm Tulane is in a tough spot here. Nobody wants to pay more and Tulane would rather not have to do it. The problem it’s faced with is that there’s a need to somehow replace the Yulman stadium pledges that are soon to be rolling off. To compete with the other AAC schools and to become attractive to a P5 conference it must greatly increase the financial support it currently receives outside of its university support. Unfortunately it’s currently the same diehard fans that attend and donate all they can now. The only way to change this is to broaden the base by winning.
I’m hoping that if winning occurs people will be ok paying more but unless that happens many may choose re-evaluate support for certain sports. This has been talked about many times in the past but has never been followed through on. I believe until we have the demand this may not work out as intended. We can’t afford to chase off any fans at this stage. A lot will be riding on this football season. So we’ll know soon after that.
People pay to see teams that are worth a fuck
Bearwave
High Tide

galvezwave wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:25 pm
tpstulane wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:19 pm Tulane is in a tough spot here. Nobody wants to pay more and Tulane would rather not have to do it. The problem it’s faced with is that there’s a need to somehow replace the Yulman stadium pledges that are soon to be rolling off. To compete with the other AAC schools and to become attractive to a P5 conference it must greatly increase the financial support it currently receives outside of its university support. Unfortunately it’s currently the same diehard fans that attend and donate all they can now. The only way to change this is to broaden the base by winning.
People pay to see teams that are worth a f**k
This is the absolute truth.
Bears are Ready to Rhule! Sic'em
wavemania
Surge

Does anyone in the athletic department have a degree in marketing or finance? WTF are they thinking? I was considerimg getting season tickets again for the first time in 3 years. Well, if this goes through , I will gladly stay home and watch the games on TV instead. This is insane
winwave
Top of the WAVE

What I have told them and others need to tell them is that Tulane dug this hole and it's on Tulane to foot the bill to get out of it. They want to say this is what everybody else does. They also want to hide behind "we are spending millions more than we were before". I told them that's low bar syndrome since they have so underfunded for so long. I told them they aren't everybody else as no one has done so many stupid things to damage all of their programs like Tulane has. If you don't want this to happen bombard TD with calls, emails and whatever other forms of communication you choose. Don't act, don't complain.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
RollWaveRoll
Low Tide

Another example of how out of touch admin is to its own fanbase. Seat license will definitely happen in future and it should if we want to take that next step and be in running of P5. But Tulane is about 10 years of straight bowls, 10 NCAA tourneys and 10 regionals all in next 10 years to have the size and fanbase growth for it to even be practical to implement. Until then this shouldn’t even talked about. May be the final nail in the coffin.
galvezwave
Swell

wavemania wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:29 pm Does anyone in the athletic department have a degree in marketing or finance? WTF are they thinking? I was considerimg getting season tickets again for the first time in 3 years. Well, if this goes through , I will gladly stay home and watch the games on TV instead. This is insane
Well, I planned on buying tickets at the gate anyway. There’ll only be about 17,000 available seats .
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Announcement coming next week.
Won’t be implemented until 2019 FB season.
Not going be called a seat license per se but something along the lines of donation requirement per ticketed sport.
Either way a donation will be required per season ticket per sport depending on seat location. The better the seat the higher the required donation. So the more tickets you buy the higher your donation will be required depending on your seat location. :(
I would expect now if Tulane fails to win in any sport that sport will not be supported as they are currently supported. I would also expect it’s going to hurt basketball and baseball most.
People that currently have more than two seats are most likely to be the first to cut back.
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:11 pm Announcement coming next week.
Not going be called a seat license per se but something along the lines of donation requirement per ticketed sport.
Either way a donation will be required per season ticket per sport depending on seat location. The better the seat the higher the required donation. So the more tickets you buy the higher your donation will be required depending on your seat location. :(
I would expect now if Tulane fails to win in any sport that sport will not be supported as they are currently supported. I would also expect it’s going to hurt basketball and baseball most.
People that currently have more than two seats are most likely to be the first to cut back.
Screw them... I purchased Season Tickets, just like I have for the past too many years to count...have not reached me yet...contacted the ticket office, they are useless ...License, I'll give them a license !!!!
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Heard that last night. Incredibly stupid.
Show Me
Tsunami

Tulane must be winning and have tremendous ticket demand and selling out in all sports to implement this new attempt at extortion.
Oh wait wrong school. :roll:
HoustonWave
Tsunami

That sounds very similar to how the Westfeldt Club seating works now. I do know that they are trying to figure away around some of the new deduction limits included in Trump's tax law--not sure if that will be doable.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

HoustonWave wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:04 pm
That sounds very similar to how the Westfeldt Club seating works now. I do know that they are trying to figure away around some of the new deduction limits included in Trump's tax law--not sure if that will be doable.
Except now it will be each seat each sport you’ll have a donation minimum per ticket. Right now one donation covers all sports and seats.
It’s a way of getting more blood out of the turnip.
Tulane Class of 1981
HoustonWave
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:07 pm
HoustonWave wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:04 pm
Except now it will be each seat each sport you’ll have a donation minimum per ticket. Right now one donation covers all sports and seats.
It’s a way of getting more blood out of the turnip.
That will backfire on them, especially for the other sports. If it's down to specific tickets, then there is no need to buy season tickets, just pick the games you want to see--another reason it could backfire.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:50 am Here ya go:

https://tulanegreenwave.com/splash.aspx?id=splash_40
:oops:
phpBB [video]
Tulane Class of 1981
Show Me
Tsunami

winwave wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:50 am Here ya go:

https://tulanegreenwave.com/splash.aspx?id=splash_40
Probably like most fans I enjoy good seats. I currently buy 2 tickets in football, 2 basketball and 3 for baseball. I will not move seats to pay less. I’ll have to drop some now. I’m not going to donate another penny to any losing sport. So much for building your fan base. How is this going to increase season ticket sales?