Tulane/LSU baseball series

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
User avatar
Show Me
Riptide
Posts: 2905
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:24 pm
Location: Saint Bernard
Status: Offline

Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:16 pm

2ndGenWave wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:13 pm
Anyone who blames Dannen for this is insane. LSU tickets have been $35 for the past decade. Cox did not want to televise this game until late and then offered half the amount they offered LSU for the same game a month earlier. LSU clearly offered crazy terms ie 1 for 5 home games.

Pauly M's comments today show what was obvious for anyone to see: LSU has decided they don't want to play anymore. At some point, you cannot roll over and take it from the people in BR and ENOUGH IS ENOUGH.

It doesn't mean I'm not pissed: but be pissed at the corndog conspiracy not anything on our end. It ALSO doesn't mean that the TV situation wasn't botched or that our handling of things is perfect, but this decision was made long ago by people who subsist on purple and yellow koolaid.
Well how come Dannen doesn’t give a public statement? LSU gave theirs now it’s our turn.


mbawavefan12
Tsunami
Posts: 5217
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:17 pm
Status: Offline

Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:17 pm

DaveBrownStreak wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:18 pm
Manure-es “reason” for the end of the baseball season:

Paul Mainieri on end of #Tulane-LSU baseball series: "I just feel like it's time for me to treat Tulane like I treat everyone else in the state. If they want to play us here every year, we'll go there every five years." Says the home rivalry has reached it course.

If Tulane has any interactions with them, then shame on us. No basketball, no games at Zephry and by ALL means NO Co-Football Camps ! NOTHING!!! They should not be allowed on campus for any reason ....
Wow he just took a huge dump on Tulane baseball.
Profoundwizard
Swell
Posts: 1141
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:50 pm
Status: Offline

Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:19 pm

2ndGenWave wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:13 pm
Anyone who blames Dannen for this is insane. LSU tickets have been $35 for the past decade. Cox did not want to televise this game until late and then offered half the amount they offered LSU for the same game a month earlier. LSU clearly offered crazy terms ie 1 for 5 home games.

Pauly M's comments today show what was obvious for anyone to see: LSU has decided they don't want to play anymore. At some point, you cannot roll over and take it from the people in BR and ENOUGH IS ENOUGH.

It doesn't mean I'm not pissed: but be pissed at the corndog conspiracy not anything on our end. It ALSO doesn't mean that the TV situation wasn't botched or that our handling of things is perfect, but this decision was made long ago by people who subsist on purple and yellow koolaid.
I don’t believe that for a second.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami
Posts: 5217
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:17 pm
Status: Offline

Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:26 pm

2ndGenWave wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:13 pm
Anyone who blames Dannen for this is insane. LSU tickets have been $35 for the past decade. Cox did not want to televise this game until late and then offered half the amount they offered LSU for the same game a month earlier. LSU clearly offered crazy terms ie 1 for 5 home games.

Pauly M's comments today show what was obvious for anyone to see: LSU has decided they don't want to play anymore. At some point, you cannot roll over and take it from the people in BR and ENOUGH IS ENOUGH.

It doesn't mean I'm not pissed: but be pissed at the corndog conspiracy not anything on our end. It ALSO doesn't mean that the TV situation wasn't botched or that our handling of things is perfect, but this decision was made long ago by people who subsist on purple and yellow koolaid.
I actually agree with this.....you don't cancel a 100+ year relationship over one stupid streaming incident. This isn't like Fball as TU baseball is competitive and there are plenty of non-conf slots to fill.

One thought, maybe the other LA publics and/or the budget makers complained to LSU about why TU gets special treatment. Rather than cave to the other schools, it was just easier to treat TU like everyone else.

Oh and call it spite, but it is absurd that we continue to let them use our campus and location to recruit in FBall. I still see no compelling reason not to partner with another big time program. Honestly the way they treat TU is just embarrassing at this point. Pretty sure they didn't do us any favors with the new hospital either.
User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 18020
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:05 pm

Show Me wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:16 pm
2ndGenWave wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:13 pm
Anyone who blames Dannen for this is insane. LSU tickets have been $35 for the past decade. Cox did not want to televise this game until late and then offered half the amount they offered LSU for the same game a month earlier. LSU clearly offered crazy terms ie 1 for 5 home games.

Pauly M's comments today show what was obvious for anyone to see: LSU has decided they don't want to play anymore. At some point, you cannot roll over and take it from the people in BR and ENOUGH IS ENOUGH.

It doesn't mean I'm not pissed: but be pissed at the corndog conspiracy not anything on our end. It ALSO doesn't mean that the TV situation wasn't botched or that our handling of things is perfect, but this decision was made long ago by people who subsist on purple and yellow koolaid.
Well how come Dannen doesn’t give a public statement? LSU gave theirs now it’s our turn.
He’s at the AAC media day in Newport talking FB. Maybe he does after it’s over or at some point. He’s probably not going to want to distract from FB for now.
Stadiums get old, winning never does.
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Tsunami
Posts: 6430
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:34 pm

Mainieri made it clear he'd only do a 5 for 1 home game series with Tulane. F them. I take back any blame I placed on TD for this. LSU is playing bully with Tulane. Send them a message and move on. Did we enjoy the longtime rivalry? Absolutely. Could we schedule other SEC or other baseball powerhouses in their stead? Absolutely. Will it have the same drawing power as LSU? Absolutely not. But baseball is a DISTANT third in the pecking order a long way behind basketball and of course football. F them.

I agree that we should end the co-hosting of FB camps immediately. Fritz said that we get about 600 players to that camp and about 10% of them are "bona fide D1 players". Bring in Alabama and that number probably goes up, and it spits in LSU's face.

I'm all for helping LSU's arch rival. They (LSU) took a dump on us, let's get back at them the best way we can. More so with Alabama than LSU, we don't compete for the same athletes. Bleaux Tigers.
Last edited by DfromCT on Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
Sunamiwave
Ripple
Posts: 49
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:42 pm
Status: Offline

Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:39 pm

That’s a real slap in the face by Mainieri to say he wants to drop Tulane to the level of every other in-state school. I will be pissed if Dannen agrees to play in LSU’s Wally Pontiff Classic in Metairie. That should not happen. We either have one home and away game against them each year or nothing. Also, bring in Alabama and Nick Saban for the annual football camp and give LSU the boot. Additionally, since Mainieri is such good buddies with Blake Dean at UNO let’s kick UNO off our schedule too. Mainieri agreed to play UNO in two fall ball games. One at LSU and one at UNO. I think it’s fair to assume that Mainieri didn’t ask us if we were interested.
Wave755
Riptide
Posts: 2821
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:04 pm
Status: Offline

Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:00 pm

DfromCT wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:34 pm
Mainieri made it clear he'd only do a 5 for 1 home game series with Tulane. F them. I take back any blame I placed on TD for this. LSU is playing bully with Tulane. Send them a message and move on. Did we enjoy the longtime rivalry? Absolutely. Could we schedule other SEC or other baseball powerhouses in their stead? Absolutely. Will it have the same drawing power as LSU? Absolutely not. But baseball is a DISTANT third in the pecking order a long way behind basketball and of course football. F them.

I agree that we should end the co-hosting of FB camps immediately. Fritz said that we get about 600 players to that camp and about 10% of them are "bona fide D1 players". Bring in Alabama and that number probably goes up, and it spits in LSU's face.

I'm all for helping LSU's arch rival. They (LSU) took a dump on us, let's get back at them the best way we can. More so with Alabama than LSU, we don't compete for the same athletes. Bleaux Tigers.
+1, and what now do we have to lose anyway, women's basketball and volleyball? Realistically, there was nothing left of the Tulane-LSU rivalry but baseball and now that is gone.

And, is this what happens when you win 5 of your last 6 against LSWho?
sader24
Tsunami
Posts: 5494
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:35 pm
Status: Offline

Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:25 pm

After reading PM’s statement my opinion is to quit playing them altogether. Don’t go there and don’t go to Zephyr. However, you can’t do this in a vacuum. The reason they are able to pull this BS on us is bc our baseball program is a shadow of what it once was. They are treating us like what we’ve become, a college baseball also ran. If we aren’t going to play them we need to make sure the baseball program is a Top 25 program again. I do agree PM just gave Dannen a perfect opportunity to garner full support from Tulane fans on this but it requires 2 things 1) Refusing to play them anywhere unless a Home and Home yearly series is offered. 2) getting the program back to an acceptable level of success. Postseason every season.
DfromCT
Tsunami
Posts: 6430
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:34 pm

I think EVERY Tulane fan in the fine state of Louisiana should point out to LSU fans that we won 5 of the last 6 games against them. So they took their baseball, went home and chose not to play us.

Drop out of the game in 2020 at as late a date as possible. Tell them we won't play them unless they split the gate, then drop out one week before if they refuse. Let them get Nichols State or Southern at the last minute, or have no game, boo hoo hoo.
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
golfnut69
Green Wave
Posts: 8124
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Offline

Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:40 pm

DfromCT wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:34 pm
I think EVERY Tulane fan in the fine state of Louisiana should point out to LSU fans that we won 5 of the last 6 games against them. So they took their baseball, went home and chose not to play us.

Drop out of the game in 2020 at as late a date as possible. Tell them we won't play them unless they split the gate, then drop out one week before if they refuse. Let them get Nichols State or Southern at the last minute, or have no game, boo hoo hoo.
I know TPS maybe even Sader may have this info...I am pretty sure that over the last 5 years, the results in games played against each other and in tournament pay (Golf) Tulane's record against LSU is one hell of alot better than most think...track and swimming maybe the exceptions, volleyball, womens basketball, baseball, womens golf have been very competitive
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 18020
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:22 pm

sader24 wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:25 pm
After reading PM’s statement my opinion is to quit playing them altogether. Don’t go there and don’t go to Zephyr. However, you can’t do this in a vacuum. The reason they are able to pull this BS on us is bc our baseball program is a shadow of what it once was. They are treating us like what we’ve become, a college baseball also ran. If we aren’t going to play them we need to make sure the baseball program is a Top 25 program again. I do agree PM just gave Dannen a perfect opportunity to garner full support from Tulane fans on this but it requires 2 things 1) Refusing to play them anywhere unless a Home and Home yearly series is offered. 2) getting the program back to an acceptable level of success. Postseason every season.
Excellent post! I agree 100%
Take off a few years. After Alleva gets canned and we get our program back on track revisit the home and home. It would set a bad precedent should we accept the WPC. We’ll never get them back Uptown once they get use to that.
As to the money split on the game here’s how it works. The majority of the proceeds go to the WPFoundation. The remaining is split equally between LSU and Tulane. But that’s probably just going to cover our expenses. And the Babycakes may get a cut on parking, concessions and some tickets as well. In the past the WP Foundation has donated part of its proceeds back to LSU baseball so there you go. IMO Tulane does not benefit playing in this game. As a Tulane fan I won’t attend. I’d rather play an extra game vs ULL/SELA every year. Unless they agree to a home and home like we’ve done for decades.
IMO for Mainieri to say I am going to treat Tulane like all the other schools is a slap at us. Every recruit will see this and especially locally ones. We need a statement out of Tulane saying we are not all the other state schools. We are Tulane and if we don’t play home and home we don’t play at all.
Stadiums get old, winning never does.
Tulane Class of 1981
User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 18020
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:21 pm

Home and home now dead
https://www.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/2018 ... leans_news
Here’s their reason per Mainieri:
Tulane's decision to turn down an offer from Cox to televise this past season's game in New Orleans and then produce a streaming pay-per-view telecast didn't sit well with Mainieri, as did the ticket price.

"For years and years, our fans have had issues with (Tulane) overcharging for a game," Mainieri said. "If we're playing there once every five years, that's OK. But if you're playing there annually, they are kind of gouging your fans.

"The fans can choose not to go and watch the game on TV. This year, they didn't have the option to watch to TV (without paying a fee to Tulane).

"That was disappointing to us. That had a bit of effect of re-evaluating our whole scheduling philosophy."
To clarify Rick Jones would have played if the game was renamed Retif/Pontiff Foundation Classic and proceeds were to be split evenly with the Mickey Retif Foundation which is the Tulane chosen one.
Stadiums get old, winning never does.
Tulane Class of 1981
glennc
Low Tide
Posts: 137
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:03 am
Status: Offline

Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:43 pm

Who the f*(^&% does lsu thunk they are. they should play all state schools on their schedule on a one for one basis. Reafirms why I hate them so much. in the past i use to pull for them when they played ULL because of ULL insisting hat they are university of Louisiana. No more . go UL when you play that no good bastard manieri.
User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 18020
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:49 pm

glennc wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:43 pm
Who the f*(^&% does lsu thunk they are. they should play all state schools on their schedule on a one for one basis. Reafirms why I hate them so much. in the past i use to pull for them when they played ULL because of ULL insisting hat they are university of Louisiana. No more . go UL when you play that no good bastard manieri.
The do it because others let them. We need to stand up and refuse to play them at all until it’s a home and home. And if the rest did that they’d have to travel outside of Louisiana to play midweek games. Unfortunately I doubt UNO, Southern and a few others wouldn’t stand up to them on this.
Stadiums get old, winning never does.
Tulane Class of 1981
User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 18020
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:02 pm

Our beat writer:
Stadiums get old, winning never does.
Tulane Class of 1981
User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 18020
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:50 pm

Great interview with TD here. The last 12 mins or so he gets into the Tulane LSU baseball topic.
https://m.soundcloud.com/user-774038550 ... media-days
Stadiums get old, winning never does.
Tulane Class of 1981
User avatar
TURVS71
Swell
Posts: 1535
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:01 am
Status: Offline

Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:46 pm

I find it very ironic that lsu (not caps on purpose) has a hissy fiit over NOT televising a “meaning mid week game. (Their words). Maybe we didn’t handle it exactly right but my opinion has begun to shift as I feel we cannot cater to them. I would love the payday but as you can see by Maineris comments. There is and probably for a long time been no respect for Tulane ...so it’s done ..don’t play them in anything or co-sponsor anything with them. We need to focus on ourselves. In 2005 , we would have STILL been ranked No.1 even if we didn’t play them
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
DfromCT
Tsunami
Posts: 6430
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:49 pm

tpstulane wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:50 pm
Great interview with TD here. The last 12 mins or so he gets into the Tulane LSU baseball topic.
https://m.soundcloud.com/user-774038550 ... media-days
I enjoyed listening to this, Troy is no dummy. Certainly an uptick from RD, but we all knew that.

The one thing I didn't like was his criticism of UCF for declaring their football team national champions. He did say he got a kick out of the Tulane '98 champions t-shirts we have. But I would have preferred him mentioning that there is no recognized National Champion in D1 football by the NCAA and that "the playoff" is an ESPN created event. UCF beat the only team that beat BOTH of the participants in the ESPN invitational finale. They have every right to claim their championship, MUCH more so than our always loved 1998 team.

I also find it odd that he said outright "had Tulane not won 5 of the last 6 (baseball vs. LSU) games we wouldn't be having this discussion." That's something I'd love to have him address in a press conference rather than in an interview with (lets face it) a Tulane specific media with a tiny following.

That being said, I always walk away from listening to a Troy Dannen interview thinking of how much better off Tulane is with him as our AD than the previous AD.
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
RollWaveRoll
Low Tide
Posts: 151
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:21 am
Status: Offline

Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:59 pm

Was great interview. His thoughts on wpc and us playing in it are wrong though. It is an LSU event and they invited us to play there......no thank you. Has nothing to do with a neutral game. It’s not. It is an LSU controlled event, it’s there event, nothing neutral about it, it’s an LSU foundation. Say no thanks.

Which brings me to my next point, I’ve always thought we should host our own tourney here in Nola. Like the Minute Maid classic or the Tony Gwynn classic with 6-8 teams. If done correct it would probably be the best non conf tourney in the country and would attract the best of best.
Sunamiwave
Ripple
Posts: 49
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:42 pm
Status: Offline

Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:06 pm

I’m surprised Dannen would go along with us playing in LSU’s game, the WPC, at Zephyr Field. Seems like a big cave in to LSU. As another poster previously mentioned, Rick Jones would have required that half the funds go to the Milt Retif Foundation. Hopefully Tulane fans will make their feelings known to Dannen on this issue.
winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 12662
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:19 pm

sader24 wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:25 pm
After reading PM’s statement my opinion is to quit playing them altogether. Don’t go there and don’t go to Zephyr. However, you can’t do this in a vacuum. The reason they are able to pull this BS on us is bc our baseball program is a shadow of what it once was. They are treating us like what we’ve become, a college baseball also ran. If we aren’t going to play them we need to make sure the baseball program is a Top 25 program again. I do agree PM just gave Dannen a perfect opportunity to garner full support from Tulane fans on this but it requires 2 things 1) Refusing to play them anywhere unless a Home and Home yearly series is offered. 2) getting the program back to an acceptable level of success. Postseason every season.
Absolutely agree. I told him we shouldn't play them at Airline. Unfortunately those that he listens to told him that that was the best choice. I told him they were definitely wrong. Hopefully he comes to his senses. People need to tell him straight up they aren't buying tickets to go there to LSU's home game.
High School Stadium Gets You High School Football
User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 18020
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:39 pm

Guerry defending the Wave
Stadiums get old, winning never does.
Tulane Class of 1981
Jaxwave
Surge
Posts: 916
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:14 pm
Status: Offline

Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:56 pm

The reason why Dannen won’t jump on the UCF national championship bandwagon is the same reason no non P5 AD would back it, they aspire to get a P5 high paying gig and therefore don’t want to piss off the P5 schools. What was absolute BS is the former UCF coach Frost not fully endorsing it.
DfromCT
Tsunami
Posts: 6430
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:31 pm

Jaxwave wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:56 pm
The reason why Dannen won’t jump on the UCF national championship bandwagon is the same reason no non P5 AD would back it, they aspire to get a P5 high paying gig and therefore don’t want to piss off the P5 schools. What was absolute BS is the former UCF coach Frost not fully endorsing it.
I didn't know he didn't fully endorse it. That is TOTAL BS. Especially after the UCF AD, knowing Frost and his staff were moving on to Nebraska, still paid all the bonuses that were included in their contracts for winning a national championship.
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
Post Reply