Tulane/LSU baseball series

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:18 pm
winwave wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:31 pm
golfnut69 wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:16 pm
winwave wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:46 pm
golfnut69 wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:28 pm
tpstulane wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:41 pm Funny. I was reading their board and they want to replace us with USM. That’s who I thought we could replace them with.
Bring on Vegas, Baby....as in StarkVegas !!!!!...better yet....an idea for the ages, Tulane and UNO team up for a tag team baseball match against Auburn and 'Bama...or Texas and TCU...shades of the bush challenge...this is a "no brainer" for Dixie Beer to sponsor...play all games at the shrine on airline, one ticket is an all day pass ...really wanna piss off LSU make it a triple header and include Southeastern, then add an additional road team...you can either get pisser or the pissee...time to make a decision
golf those Busch Challenges were fun and it would be nice to see something like that again but it won't happen for a couple of reasons. The first is those other teams aren't going to jeopardize their relationship with LSU. The second is the Dome is no longer available. The games were guaranteed to get played back then. Though I would note if you somehow found willing partners you could have Tulane and UNO's stadiums in play as back-ups to make up rainouts.
Win...then do not invite any SEC teams, these other conferences could give a ratzz azz less about LSU.....do you think the people in Michigan, Oklahoma, California, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, Oregon, Arizona, give a good sh*t what LSU thinks, they don't, They would love an early season three day week end in warm weather...and teh Dome is no longer available because of that carpetbagger Tom Benson, he made sure NOLA would never get a Major League team
golf- you misunderstood my post. I was talking about UNO and SELA not wanting to jeopardize their series with lSU.
Yes I did, and my apologies for doing so....not sure how much SELA and UNO depend on LSU ...U may be correct and it is their end all , be all, but it may be time for them to start thinking outside of the (alex) Box
No apology necessary. Everybody's fired up about this and rightfully so. It's just Tulane being Tulane.

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
msdos
Swell

TPS is almost always accurate, and if that story is accurate it is a disgrace.

I seriously doubt the revenue made from the stream is more than what Cox would have given us. Even if it did, why risk the possibility of the greatest college baseball rivalry?

This move hurts the fans and hurts the baseball program. But, I guess we know how Troy feels about baseball after his last stop. This sucks, because baseball was about the last Tulane sport I cared about anymore and I am watching it get destroyed before my eyes.
Jaxwave
Swell

Combined with the lack of success of his coaching hires, are we seeing the beginning of the end of Troy Dannen? I then ask the follow up question, “In this NCAA environment and lack of fan base, is it even possible for Tulane athletics to be successful?”
Jaxwave
Swell

You really can’t make up the stupidity of Tulane athletics over the years.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

When U hire people from parts of the country who cannot spell 'Metry' or "Chalmation" what more can U expect...they have zero in depth knowledge of regional rivalries and their histories...Until Tulane, once again "hires local" in it's athletic support staff, we will continue to see some questionable decisions
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

msdos wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:46 am TPS is almost always accurate, and if that story is accurate it is a disgrace.

I seriously doubt the revenue made from the stream is more than what Cox would have given us. Even if it did, why risk the possibility of the greatest college baseball rivalry?

This move hurts the fans and hurts the baseball program. But, I guess we know how Troy feels about baseball after his last stop. This sucks, because baseball was about the last Tulane sport I cared about anymore and I am watching it get destroyed before my eyes.
It was a amateurish decision then that turned into unacceptable one now.
With the type of product we’ve put on the field the last two seasons we were fortunate that anyone would even want to televise us. I can’t even blame LSU on this one. We gave them a reason in the future not to come to NOLA and they gladly took it.
Now our baseball coach has to find two high RPI midweek replacement games. Good luck with that. Not to mention the $125K that we won’t replace losing this game. Do we bow down and travel to BR in a 4 for 1? Of course not. Once again we did this to ourselves.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

PLEASE tweet, email, text, do whatever to get your message directly to Troy Dannen on this one. Posting gripes and moans here does absolutely nothing. @TU_Dannen will get your tweet delivered to his account. It's easy enough to find his email address (though a subordinate probably manages that) and many of you have other access.

This is really a travesty, and we have to let Troy know how we feel. Clearly, due to the attention the baseball games get/got Troy knows that the rivalry is meaningful. He may be from Iowa, but he's not ignorant.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:10 am PLEASE tweet, email, text, do whatever to get your message directly to Troy Dannen on this one. Posting gripes and moans here does absolutely nothing. @TU_Dannen will get your tweet delivered to his account. It's easy enough to find his email address (though a subordinate probably manages that) and many of you have other access.

This is really a travesty, and we have to let Troy know how we feel. Clearly, due to the attention the baseball games get/got Troy knows that the rivalry is meaningful. He may be from Iowa, but he's not ignorant.

Unfortunately it’s too late for that. LSU dealing from strength. When we become a consistent Regional/Super Regional and occasional CWS team then we can deal from strength. They have nothing to gain coming to NOLA with no TV losing to a low RPI team with a losing record.
Best we now going to get is Metairie possibly every year where it’s their home game and revenue for Wally P or a 4 for 1 in BR. No thanks.
We decline a TV offer and we wonder why the media doesn’t cover us.
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

It might be too late to save the series, but Troy needs to know how much this means to us, and how disappointed we are with how he's handling baseball in general.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Good point!
I’m extremely disappointed. It was the one game on the schedule you knew we’d have a big time home atmosphere with a longtime rival with solid media coverage, tailgating and overall fun. Now that’s gone.
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

It will be interesting to see how FEW season tickets we sell to any sport. Why would anyone buy season tickets when you can buy single game tickets (or have them given to you free outside the event) because we're never close to selling out?
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

I guess we will find out soon enough. Of course it will be a disaster if the losing continues.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

If they follow through on that it will be the end of Tulame athletics.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
GreenLantern
Riptide

I must have been daydreaming and missed something. Has an announcement been made on this or is this speculation?
exflash
High Tide

I hope we continue a H&H with the wave.......at present we play LSU in the WP Classic and their game in Lafayette is a total red out as just about all seats except Sro are seasonally sold........it was hell to finally get them to Lafayette however.......hopefully we can return to top form next year but baseball in the state is very good.....btw I thought S'Eastern was the best team in the state!!!
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

WIth no demand, it would be idiotic to try to ask for this. Only at Tulane.
Wavetime
Swell

winwave wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:29 am
golfnut69 wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:18 pm
winwave wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:31 pm
golfnut69 wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:16 pm
winwave wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:46 pm
golfnut69 wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:28 pm
tpstulane wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:41 pm Funny. I was reading their board and they want to replace us with USM. That’s who I thought we could replace them with.
Bring on Vegas, Baby....as in StarkVegas !!!!!...better yet....an idea for the ages, Tulane and UNO team up for a tag team baseball match against Auburn and 'Bama...or Texas and TCU...shades of the bush challenge...this is a "no brainer" for Dixie Beer to sponsor...play all games at the shrine on airline, one ticket is an all day pass ...really wanna piss off LSU make it a triple header and include Southeastern, then add an additional road team...you can either get pisser or the pissee...time to make a decision
golf those Busch Challenges were fun and it would be nice to see something like that again but it won't happen for a couple of reasons. The first is those other teams aren't going to jeopardize their relationship with LSU. The second is the Dome is no longer available. The games were guaranteed to get played back then. Though I would note if you somehow found willing partners you could have Tulane and UNO's stadiums in play as back-ups to make up rainouts.
Win...then do not invite any SEC teams, these other conferences could give a ratzz azz less about LSU.....do you think the people in Michigan, Oklahoma, California, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, Oregon, Arizona, give a good sh*t what LSU thinks, they don't, They would love an early season three day week end in warm weather...and teh Dome is no longer available because of that carpetbagger Tom Benson, he made sure NOLA would never get a Major League team
golf- you misunderstood my post. I was talking about UNO and SELA not wanting to jeopardize their series with lSU.
Yes I did, and my apologies for doing so....not sure how much SELA and UNO depend on LSU ...U may be correct and it is their end all , be all, but it may be time for them to start thinking outside of the (alex) Box
No apology necessary. Everybody's fired up about this and rightfully so. It's just Tulane being Tulane.
I agree that it's Tulane being Tulane, but this is also LSU being LSU. There are 2 sides to this story. Every sport that we are competitive in LSU want's to slam the door (except Football). We all know why this is the case. If LSU wasn't so worried about us then why do they always do this? Of course it's money, but that's #2 in this equation (in my opinion). Say what you want about the fans and our ticket prices and TV etc, it's money and recruiting.....

Screw them. TD, this is a wake up call!!!
RollWaveRoll
Low Tide

Other board is saying our tv contract for our own home game was not the same structure as what LSU got from same cable company for there own home game. We wanted fair deal. LSU fans please forgive us for wanting to do what we want on our own home games.

I don’t know what’s true, but if that is and they won’t agree to fair deal and they don’t want to play us because of said fair deal, then that’s on LSU and I’m ok with it. Then again I see other side of arguement too, where it’s not that much money let’s not shake the hornets nest so we can keep this game going even though we have a bad deal.
Show Me
Tsunami

RollWaveRoll wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:02 pm Other board is saying our tv contract for our own home game was not the same structure as what LSU got from same cable company for there own home game. We wanted fair deal. LSU fans please forgive us for wanting to do what we want on our own home games.

I don’t know what’s true, but if that is and they won’t agree to fair deal and they don’t want to play us because of said fair deal, then that’s on LSU and I’m ok with it. Then again I see other side of arguement too, where it’s not that much money let’s not shake the hornets nest so we can keep this game going even though we have a bad deal.
It’s been the same deal for years. LSU brings the eyeballs and ad dollars. They are the only reason we get on TV. Bottom line Dannen killed something that has worked well for years in his second year. We lose our biggest payday and now our fans can’t watch Tulane play LSU on our campus. He got greedy for $5,000 streaming dollars he loses $130,000 per year forever.
Scott Cowen would be proud.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I had been meaning to start a thread about the fact that this is the last year for those Glazer Club commitments and what would happen next. If he follows through on that he will end up being a worse AD than RD and I never dreamed that would be possible.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Good idea. Start one. I have a family commitment right now but when I get back I’ll be adding my opinion for sure.
Tulane Class of 1981
Sunamiwave
High Tide

I would much rather see Tulane get to a regional every year and College World Series every few years than worry about a mid week regular season game against LSU. The fact that Joe Alleva cancelled the series is on him and LSU. Tulane has done nothing wrong. Let’s beef up the schedule and RPI by adding teams like TCU, Ole Miss, and Florida State to our schedule. Forget about the losers upriver.
Sunamiwave
High Tide

And if we’re criticizing Dannen for his performance as AD I would be much more critical of his lack of fundraising and new physical plant projects that we have not yet raised the money for and built like a football ops center building. This LSU baseball issue would be near the bottom of my list in terms of importance.
Show Me
Tsunami

Sunamiwave wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:31 pm I would much rather see Tulane get to a regional every year and College World Series every few years than worry about a mid week regular season game against LSU. The fact that Joe Alleva cancelled the series is on him and LSU. Tulane has done nothing wrong. Let’s beef up the schedule and RPI by adding teams like TCU, Ole Miss, and Florida State to our schedule. Forget about the losers upriver.
Series not canceled. LSU wants TV exposure so they will no longer come to New Orleans and play Tulane. They not interested in being streamed when about 98% of their games are on TV. This happened on Dannen’s watch. And two straight losing seasons are on Dannen’s watch. Worst since the 1960’s. Accept that fact.
Regionals are great but let’s at least get a winning season at this point.
nawlinspete
Riptide

Sunamiwave wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:31 pm I would much rather see Tulane get to a regional every year and College World Series every few years than worry about a mid week regular season game against LSU. The fact that Joe Alleva cancelled the series is on him and LSU. Tulane has done nothing wrong. Let’s beef up the schedule and RPI by adding teams like TCU, Ole Miss, and Florida State to our schedule. Forget about the losers upriver.
This is the way to go. Great strategy and great post. But we must also win consistently and raise our RPI on our own.
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .