Tulane/LSU baseball series

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Wave755
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:15 am
Show Me wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:09 am
DfromCT wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:35 am
Show Me wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:35 pm LSU baseball takes center stage tonight. Bregman MLB All Star MVP with go ahead HR in the 10th. :oops:
Yes, the whole baseball world is talking about how he went to LSU. Not really, though.
If you lived down here you’d understand.

https://www.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/2018 ... rt_m-rpt-2

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/sports/lsu/
Yes, so 2% of the country, or probably .02% (because a whole lot of folks don't give a damn) actually hear that the ASG MVP (and many, if not a majority of baseball fans don't care about the All Star Game) actually put Bregman and LSU together this morning.

There's a slew of bigger stories: 10 home runs by 5 different players on each team. Machado trade. Leonard trade in NBA (I could care less). But trust me, 99.9999% of sports fans have no clue that Bregman went to LSU.

And I don't doubt that a few folks in Louisiana are talking about him being an LSU product. But that's far from "LSU takes center stage".
Louisiana only has 4,684,333 (2017 est.) people, about 1/2 of the Los Angeles TV market. But, the local media, in these the "dog days of summer," did play up the Hell out of Bregman at the All-Star Game and his performance the day before at the ASG Home Run Derby.

winwave
Top of the WAVE

Wave755 wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:50 am
Wave755 wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:46 am
winwave wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:40 pm
RobertM320 wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:41 am
winwave wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:14 pm So he's had since 2008 and didn't do it until TD's horrific decision. Sorry but this isn't about is being competitive.
Or you can say, he didn't do it until we started beating them. Perspective.
Not about perspective. It's about reality. We have had other periods of beating them and the series wasn't canceled.
True, but Skip Bertman was LSU AD from 2001 to 2008, not that "creep" Alleva. And, we have won five of the last six, and we put on quite a celebration when beat LSWho at Turchin on April 18th?
It's a sport where we have always been competitive with them. This has nothing to do with winning 5 of the last 6. It has to do with the decision our AD made that gave them an out to dump us in the one sport we still played our rival in regularly. But it's your right like many other Tulanians to bury your head in the sand and ignore reality.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Wave755
Tsunami

winwave wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:48 pm
Wave755 wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:50 am
Wave755 wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:46 am
winwave wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:40 pm
RobertM320 wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:41 am
winwave wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:14 pm So he's had since 2008 and didn't do it until TD's horrific decision. Sorry but this isn't about is being competitive.
Or you can say, he didn't do it until we started beating them. Perspective.
Not about perspective. It's about reality. We have had other periods of beating them and the series wasn't canceled.
True, but Skip Bertman was LSU AD from 2001 to 2008, not that "creep" Alleva. And, we have won five of the last six, and we put on quite a celebration when beat LSWho at Turchin on April 18th?
It's a sport where we have always been competitive with them. This has nothing to do with winning 5 of the last 6. It has to do with the decision our AD made that gave them an out to dump us in the one sport we still played our rival in regularly. But it's your right like many other Tulanians to bury your head in the sand and ignore reality.
It took 2 a-holes for this to happen, the a-hole syntergy of Alleva & Dannen. Bertman would have been a voice for reason.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

LSU baseball press conference Monday. I’m guessing they will probably take the high road and say they are playing 3 road games in Minute Maid Park and didn't have room to play Tulane next season. But will resume playing the Wave in the WPC the following year and continue thereafter whenever possible.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

want people in the seats....bring in Notre Dame for an April, 3 game series.....
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Profoundwizard
Swell

golfnut69 wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:51 pm want people in the seats....bring in Notre Dame for an April, 3 game series.....
Teams begin playing conference series in March.

We played ND in 2013 for our 1st home series. The crowds were fine but nothing special
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Profoundwizard wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:02 pm
golfnut69 wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:51 pm want people in the seats....bring in Notre Dame for an April, 3 game series.....

We played ND in 2013 for our 1st home series. The crowds were fine but nothing special
Then play them again, and once again, the crowds will be fine...if ND does not work, bring in Oklahoma or Oklahoma State, hell bring them both...Tulane plays 2 games against OU and one against OSU.......UNO plays 2 against OSU and one against OU....the games will be played at Turchin and at UNO.... One game in the afternoon the other at night...the third game will be a double header and can be hosted by Tulane one year and UNO the next or maybe played on Airline....
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Profoundwizard
Swell

golfnut69 wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:24 pm

Then play them again, and once again, the crowds will be fine...if ND does not work, bring in Oklahoma or Oklahoma State, hell bring them both...Tulane plays 2 games against OU and one against OSU.......UNO plays 2 against OSU and one against OU....the games will be played at Turchin and at UNO.... One game in the afternoon the other at night...the third game will be a double header and can be hosted by Tulane one year and UNO the next or maybe played on Airline....
Unfortunately There aren’t many fan bases traveling in large numbers for college baseball. We need to schedule good opponents and also have a good team. Unless we’re playing LSU, we have to be the draw to get fans in the seats.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Profoundwizard wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:17 pm
golfnut69 wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:24 pm

Unfortunately There aren’t many fan bases traveling in large numbers for college baseball. We need to schedule good opponents and also have a good team. Unless we’re playing LSU, we have to be the draw to get fans in the seats.
OU and OSU fan base travels...I mean what the hell else is there to do in Oklahoma....for that matter the metro DFW area is overrun by OU and OSU Fans, so the commute is not that far by car and and easy Southwest Plane ride from either OKC or DFW....let's get one thing clear, LSU could give one damn less if Tulane survives in any sport, and in fact gives one damn less if NOLA survives...the only reason WPC is played on Airline is because Pontiff is from metro NOLA, no other reason...it is high time Tulane fans and administration come to this realization and begin thinking of other ways to generate revenue....depending on LSU for anything is madness
Last edited by golfnut69 on Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Show Me
Tsunami

Tulane and Dannen getting beat up on this. WWL radio now.
Bearwave
High Tide

Rightfully so.
Bears are Ready to Rhule! Sic'em
cajunfanatico
Swell

Show Me wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:18 pm Tulane and Dannen getting beat up on this. WWL radio now.
What was the gist of the comments?
ajcalhoun: Nobody here gives a flying fuck about UL-L and the Sunbelt Conference.
Wave755
Tsunami

Talking about it on NOLA sports right now, Cox 116
Wave755
Tsunami

And, at 10:00 p.m on WLAE, Cox 14 inside sports with Eric Asher airs, which might be the same show as on Cox 116 now.

And, on channel 116 they took Dannen’s side on the baseball mess saying LSU was being childish.
Show Me
Tsunami

cajunfanatico wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:55 pm
Show Me wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:18 pm Tulane and Dannen getting beat up on this. WWL radio now.
Greed on Tulane’s part.
1) They raise ticket prices for this game to $35 normally it’s midweek game prices are $5-10.
2) They double the parking charges from $5 to $10
3) They blocked free TV and made LSU fans buy a stream to watch the game.

They’ve put up with the first two for years but the pay for stream greed while turning down free TV was over the top greed.
Wavetime
Swell

Show Me wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:09 am
Greed on Tulane’s part.
1) They raise ticket prices for this game to $35 normally it’s midweek game prices are $5-10.

They’ve put up with the first two for years but the pay for stream greed while turning down free TV was over the top greed.
It's a two way street. Yep, we were greedy and they were petty.
Pepper
Swell

Wavetime wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:25 pm
Show Me wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:09 am
Greed on Tulane’s part.

It's a two way street. Yep, we were greedy and they were petty.
I'd like to see 3 midweek games against USM (1 here, 1 there and 1 in Biloxi).
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

We can discuss the relevancy, but LSU uses surge pricing for Football (not sure on Bball and baseball). They also use surge pricing for parking tmk. Maybe Bama and Georgia should ask the SEC to cancel all further games at Tiger Stadium :lol:

http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle.db ... LID=177298

All Other Seats (non season tics I believe)/Upper Level Seats

Sept. 8 Southeastern La. $25 $15
Sept. 22 Louisiana Tech $25 $15
Sept. 29 Ole Miss $50 $45
Oct. 13 Georgia $125 $115
Oct. 20 Mississippi St. $55 $45
Nov. 3 Alabama $125 $115
Nov. 17 Rice $20 $10
Wave755
Tsunami

mbawavefan12 wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:01 pm We can discuss the relevancy, but LSU uses surge pricing for Football (not sure on Bball and baseball). They also use surge pricing for parking tmk. Maybe Bama and Georgia should ask the SEC to cancel all further games at Tiger Stadium :lol:

Nov. 3 Alabama $125 $115
Nov. 17 Rice $20 $10
Last night on Inside New Orleans Sports Eric Asher and Kaare Johnson said essentially the same thing.
Show Me
Tsunami

Wave755 wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:27 pm
mbawavefan12 wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:01 pm We can discuss the relevancy, but LSU uses surge pricing for Football (not sure on Bball and baseball). They also use surge pricing for parking tmk. Maybe Bama and Georgia should ask the SEC to cancel all further games at Tiger Stadium :lol:

Nov. 3 Alabama $125 $115
Nov. 17 Rice $20 $10
Last night on Inside New Orleans Sports Eric Asher and Kaare Johnson said essentially the same thing.
Big difference. FB and SEC conference games.
We’re talking a midweek baseball game that was slated for free TV. We got greedy and wanted them to pay for our stream to watch.
That was just a little too much to stomach.
Wave755
Tsunami

Show Me wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:13 pm
Wave755 wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:27 pm

Nov. 3 Alabama $125 $115
Nov. 17 Rice $20 $10
Big difference. FB and SEC conference games.
We’re talking a midweek baseball game that was slated for free TV. We got greedy and wanted them to pay for our stream to watch.
That was just a little too much to stomach.
Hopefully LSU fans will not be willing to “stomach” losing in football this season to Miami, Auburn, Florida, Georgia and, as always, Alabama while Orgeron’s “verbal commit” recruiting class heads for the “lifeboats” all resulting in Alleva getting fired.

A local like Arnie Fielkow would never have made Dannen’s mistake; but Dannen was just stupid, Alleva is in bad faith for seizing Dannen’s error of judgment to end a baseball rivalry begun in the 19th century.

The rivalry will never return as long as Alleva is LSU AD.
DaveBrownStreak
High Tide

Manure-es “reason” for the end of the baseball season:

Paul Mainieri on end of #Tulane-LSU baseball series: "I just feel like it's time for me to treat Tulane like I treat everyone else in the state. If they want to play us here every year, we'll go there every five years." Says the home rivalry has reached it course.

If Tulane has any interactions with them, then shame on us. No basketball, no games at Zephry and by ALL means NO Co-Football Camps ! NOTHING!!! They should not be allowed on campus for any reason ....
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DaveBrownStreak wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:18 pm Manure-es “reason” for the end of the baseball season:

Paul Mainieri on end of #Tulane-LSU baseball series: "I just feel like it's time for me to treat Tulane like I treat everyone else in the state. If they want to play us here every year, we'll go there every five years." Says the home rivalry has reached it course.

If Tulane has any interactions with them, then shame on us. No basketball, no games at Zephry and by ALL means NO Co-Football Camps ! NOTHING!!! They should not be allowed on campus for any reason ....
here's an idea...form a coalition of state schools and not play LSU...one "pay day " every 5 years is a joke....
2ndGenWave
High Tide

Anyone who blames Dannen for this is insane. LSU tickets have been $35 for the past decade. Cox did not want to televise this game until late and then offered half the amount they offered LSU for the same game a month earlier. LSU clearly offered crazy terms ie 1 for 5 home games.

Pauly M's comments today show what was obvious for anyone to see: LSU has decided they don't want to play anymore. At some point, you cannot roll over and take it from the people in BR and ENOUGH IS ENOUGH.

It doesn't mean I'm not pissed: but be pissed at the corndog conspiracy not anything on our end. It ALSO doesn't mean that the TV situation wasn't botched or that our handling of things is perfect, but this decision was made long ago by people who subsist on purple and yellow koolaid.
Show Me
Tsunami

DaveBrownStreak wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:18 pm Manure-es “reason” for the end of the baseball season:

Troy they just gave you an out. Take it!
Don’t. I repeat Don’t play them in the Pontiff game now. Please. That’s an embarrassing remark by them. No doubt that’s right from Alleva’s mouth.