Tulane/LSU baseball series

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
ajcalhoun
Swell

I'm tired of explaining why that's a bad idea.

God Bless Everyone!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

WF thinks it’s a good idea we partner with LSU otherwise we wouldn’t. We lose tit for tat with LSU. If we ever win that possibly could change. Don’t compound a baseball mistake by making one in football.
Remember the old saying, “keep your friends close keep your enemies closer”.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Aberzombie1892
Swell

mbawavefan12 wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:33 am Might be time to reconsider these LSU/Tulane football camps. LSU has camps all over the state offering locals chances to be seen by the LSU staff. I'd imagine if we partnered with a Michigan or Texas A&M more locals would show up to Yulman as they would get exposure that they did not ordinarily receive from LSU camps in other parts of the state. Clearly LSU doesn't care a lick about Tulane so why keep placating to their own selfish desires to keep everybody out of LA? I mean we are really not recruiting the same athletes so who cares what they want, especially when they won't even play us in the three sports that matter?
That's what I've been saying by day one, as, basically, the state has a culture that pressures/persuades good players to, more or less, automatically choose LSU if they receive an offer from them, and, if Tulane would like to change that culture, it would be worth while to introduce other teams into the marketplace by making those teams visible at local camps with Tulane. Once those good Louisiana players realize that they do not have to choose LSU and have other options, Tulane would be more likely to catch a few more good players in each recruiting class that would have otherwise committed to LSU (i.e. Foster Moreau, Lindsey Scott Jr., Russell Gage etc.).
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:10 am WF thinks it’s a good idea we partner with LSU otherwise we wouldn’t. We lose tit for tat with LSU. If we ever win that possibly could change. Don’t compound a baseball mistake by making one in football.
Well he initially agreed to camp with Michigan, if LSU was such a no brainer why did he not approach LSU first? Oh and WF isn;t infallible tmk.

I didn't say go ahead and do something with another school but that we should at least reconsider. I don;t see how it is this great benefit to camp with LSU and it is basically our only bargaining chip at this point.

I can at least understand why LSU won;t play TU in FBall but the baseball and Bball situation is a joke. Look at their Bball schedule last year, you telling me they couldn't replace one of the non-conf cupcake games with Tulane?

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... lsu-tigers
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

mbawavefan12 wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:39 am
tpstulane wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:10 am WF thinks it’s a good idea we partner with LSU otherwise we wouldn’t. We lose tit for tat with LSU. If we ever win that possibly could change. Don’t compound a baseball mistake by making one in football.
Well he initially agreed to camp with Michigan, if LSU was such a no brainer why did he not approach LSU first? Oh and WF isn;t infallible tmk.

I didn't say go ahead and do something with another school but that we should at least reconsider. I don;t see how it is this great benefit to camp with LSU and it is basically our only bargaining chip at this point.

I can at least understand why LSU won;t play TU in FBall but the baseball and Bball situation is a joke. Look at their Bball schedule last year, you telling me they couldn't replace one of the non-conf cupcake games with Tulane?

Tulane turned LSU down (Les Miles) when they wanted us as a partner. We partnered with Texas A&M and Houston instead. Meanwhile nine schools joined LSU during the satellite camps in Bossier City and in New Orleans. They included Louisiana-Lafayette, Louisiana-Monroe, McNeese, Southeastern, Southern, Grambling, Nicholls State, Northwestern State and Louisiana College. After Les was fired Coach O was open to partner with us. So WF agreed. I don’t think he thought LSU would. That’s why he asked Michigan first.
Tulane/LSU Camp also opens the doors to other coaching staffs around Louisiana, from Nicholls to Southern to Louisiana College etc.
Tulane Class of 1981
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:43 am

Tulane turned LSU down (Les Miles) when they wanted us as a partner. We partnered with Texas A&M and Houston instead. Coach O wanted to partner with us. So WF agreed. I don’t think he thought LSU would. They why he asked Michigan first.
Tulane/LSU Camp also opens the doors to other coaching staffs around Louisiana, from Nicholls to Southern to Louisiana College etc.
I don;t care about other schools.

I cannot believe that many recruits will prefer to attend one of the many LSU camps in Baton Rouge as opposed to attending a camp in NOLA. Now if we offered additional exposure (i.e. partnered with a Michigan or T A&M) I could see that more recruits would come to NOLA as opposed to just going to Baton Rouge, I don't see how that thought process is outrageous. But do remind me why having LSU on our campus provides some sort of great advantage. We have legit never beaten LSU for a recruit and I don;t see how they are the type to want to benefit Tulane by pushing non-LSU recruits to come play in Uptown?
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

mbawavefan12 wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:57 am

Tulane turned LSU down (Les Miles) when they wanted us as a partner. We partnered with Texas A&M and Houston instead. Coach O wanted to partner with us. So WF agreed. I don’t think he thought LSU would. They why he asked Michigan first.

I cannot believe that many recruits will prefer to attend one of the many LSU camps in Baton Rouge as opposed to attending a camp in NOLA. Now if we offered additional exposure (i.e. partnered with a Michigan or T A&M) I could see that more recruits would come to NOLA as opposed to just going to Baton Rouge, I don't see how that thought process is outrageous. But do remind me why having LSU on our campus provides some sort of great advantage. We have legit never beaten LSU for a recruit and I don;t see how they are the type to want to benefit Tulane by pushing non-LSU recruits to come play in Uptown?
I did some research.
This article says WF first invited LSU and they turned us down. Then they changed their mind when they found out we invited Michigan.
So they came. I have to assume if WF didn’t want them they wouldn’t be here.
https://www.nola.com/recruiting/index.s ... st_jo.html
A source stated that Tulane reached out to LSU for a joint venture this summer, but the Bayou Bengals declined the opportunity, under first year head coach Ed Orgeron, who is putting forth sweeping changes to LSU's summer camp schedule.
Tulane Class of 1981
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:02 am

I did some research.
This article says WF first invited LSU and they turned us down. Then they changed their mind when they found out we invited Michigan.
A source stated that Tulane reached out to LSU for a joint venture this summer, but the Bayou Bengals declined the opportunity, under first year head coach Ed Orgeron, who is putting forth sweeping changes to LSU's summer camp schedule.
First we partnered with A&M then apparently reached out to LSU the next year, so you are sort of making my point. . Eventually LSU agreed but if I remember correctly one stipulation was that if LSU agreed to camp with TU then TU could not camp with any other school.

Again, I could be wrong but I don;t see what the added benefit of camping with LSU as opposed to someone else. Not to mention, they treat us like $hit at every turn so who cares what they think. We are not going for the same recruits as Michigan so we are not hurting ourselves in anyway..
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

mbawavefan12 wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:13 am

I did some research.
First we partnered with A&M then apparently reached out to LSU the next year, so you are sort of making my point. . Eventually LSU agreed but if I remember correctly one stipulation was that if LSU agreed to camp with TU then TU could not camp with any other school.

Again, I could be wrong but I don;t see what the added benefit of camping with LSU as opposed to someone else. Not to mention, they treat us like $hit at every turn so who cares what they think. We are not going for the same recruits as Michigan so we are not hurting ourselves in anyway..
I’m for whatever WF wants. Currently he has LSU as a partner because he thinks it helps us. I’m good with that. Should HE decide we need another partner I’m good with that. I’d hate to see Dannen tell him no more LSU because they won’t come play us in baseball at Turchin. Can’t let a bad decision become another bad one for revenge.
Tulane Class of 1981
Aberzombie1892
Swell

How does Tulane benefit from camping with LSU over a team that LSU is afraid of getting a foothold in the state of Louisiana? Keeping LSU would make sense if Tulane and LSU were in competition for the same players, but that's just not the case.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:24 am

I did some research.

I’m for whatever WF wants. Currently he has LSU as a partner because he thinks it helps us. I’m good with that. Should HE decide we need another partner I’m good with that. I’d hate to see Dannen tell him no more LSU because they won’t come play us in baseball at Turchin. Can’t let a bad decision become another bad one for revenge.
Well this is a discussion board. You have certainly disagreed with our baseball coach's decision making in the past, what's the difference, I am curious?

Just saying that what WF thinks is 100% gospel is a bit lazy IMO. Perhaps Mr AJCalhoun can enlighten us again if he is not too busy.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

mbawavefan12 wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:32 am
tpstulane wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:24 am

I did some research.

Well this is a discussion board. You have certainly disagreed with our baseball coach's decision making in the past, what's the difference, I am curious?

Just saying that what WF thinks is 100% gospel is a bit lazy IMO. Perhaps Mr AJCalhoun can enlighten us again if he is not too busy.
FB camps are out of my comfort zone. I can only believe WF knows what he’s doing here. I may disagree at times with certain gameday decisions here and there but I’m not going to call him out on his choice of a partner for summer camp. That’s his call 100%.
We continue to climb in the recruiting rankings so it may be paying off.
Tulane Class of 1981
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

I just find it a bit odd that LSU feels the need to cancel a 100 year relationship in baseball all while using our stadium and location to help their FBall program and demanding we don't partner with anyone else.

They won't play us in Bball (despite agreeing to play a bunch of bums), won't play in FBall and now are dictating the baseball relationship all while they benefit from our FBall camp. I mean seriously.
TURVS71
Swell

mbawavefan12 wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:56 am I just find it a bit odd that LSU feels the need to cancel a 100 year relationship in baseball all while using our stadium and location to help their FBall program and demanding we don't partner with anyone else.

They won't play us in Bball (despite agreeing to play a bunch of bums), won't play in FBall and now are dictating the baseball relationship all while they benefit from our FBall camp. I mean seriously.
I was NEVER of fan of hosting a football camp with these clowns. I don't like the reasoning that we get to see recruits that may not be of 'sec" calibur but would be perfect for us! These clowns are only in it for one reason and one reason only, TO MAKE BIG BUCKS. We keep chasing these guys like they are the "hot girl" and we are almost begging for her to hang out with us. We need to focus our energies and time on getting into a P5 conference or helping the AAC to become P5 material. That is what is important in the long run and will dictate the future of college athletics. Sure, I will miss the home and home baseball games ESPECIALLY since we have DOMINATED them over the past several years. But this has not resulted in anything other than a temporary "high" from the win. We continue to sit home and have NO regional appearances. Maybe Troy Dannen did not handle the situation correctly, we don't know and weren't privy to all of the details. Let's move on and find a way to WIN. This WILL take care of EVERYTHING.
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
kookingkajun
Low Tide

And we thought that the gap between the end of baseball and the beginning of football was going to be boring!!!
sader24
Tsunami

We are not beating LSU out for kids anytime soon. Pairing with LSU brings more kids to the camp locally than any other pairing we could have. Many of those kids are not quite good enough to get a scholarship from LSU but believe they are or want to see if they can impress LSU at the camp. This gives us access to a lot of 2-3* guys we wouldn’t normally have that much access to including some borderline 4* guys that might fall through the cracks. LSU is already here recruiting and will always be. What goddamn sense does it make for us to bring in schools from other parts of the country and roll out the welcome mat to add to the number of schools recruiting in this state and let them possibly see a 2 or 3 star guy they don’t know about that we may be able to get and have them start stealing the guys not getting as much attention in Louisiana that make up the meat of our recruiting class. Do you think Michigan thinks they are coming in here and consistently outreceuiting LSU for 4 and 5 Star guys? Of course not, they are looking for speed from the South and guys that are a bit under the radar that would jump at opportunity to play at Michigan. You start bringing in outside schools and they start seeing the Mewelde Moore and Matt Forte’s in person at a camp it’s going to hurt us a hell of a lot more than LSU. Y’all are so damn demented by your hate of LSU that you would rather make bad decisions just to piss them off for a day than make good ones for Tulane. We are not on their level currently, I wish we were but we are not. The rules of the 50s-80s do not apply. They don’t need us for anything and there is no outrage at all within the state other than a few hundred Tulane fans at them dropping us. Not to mention you wouldn’t have as many kids at the camps and you are now giving access to Louisiana kids to coaches around the country who will one day be head coaches at smaller schools and head back here to recruit when they are.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

sader24 wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:43 pm We are not beating LSU out for kids anytime soon. Pairing with LSU brings more kids to the camp locally than any other pairing we could have. Many of those kids are not quite good enough to get a scholarship from LSU but believe they are or want to see if they can impress LSU at the camp. This gives us access to a lot of 2-3* guys we wouldn’t normally have that much access to including some borderline 4* guys that might fall through the cracks. LSU is already here recruiting and will always be. What goddamn sense does it make for us to bring in schools from other parts of the country and roll out the welcome mat to add to the number of schools recruiting in this state and let them possibly see a 2 or 3 star guy they don’t know about that we may be able to get and have them start stealing the guys not getting as much attention in Louisiana that make up the meat of our recruiting class. Do you think Michigan thinks they are coming in here and consistently outreceuiting LSU for 4 and 5 Star guys? Of course not, they are looking for speed from the South and guys that are a bit under the radar that would jump at opportunity to play at Michigan. You start bringing in outside schools and they start seeing the Mewelde Moore and Matt Forte’s in person at a camp it’s going to hurt us a hell of a lot more than LSU. Y’all are so damn demented by your hate of LSU that you would rather make bad decisions just to piss them off for a day than make good ones for Tulane. We are not on their level currently, I wish we were but we are not. The rules of the 50s-80s do not apply. They don’t need us for anything and there is no outrage at all within the state other than a few hundred Tulane fans at them dropping us. Not to mention you wouldn’t have as many kids at the camps and you are now giving access to Louisiana kids to coaches around the country who will one day be head coaches at smaller schools and head back here to recruit when they are.
Very well said sader.
Having grow up watching us play them home and home in every sport I agree 100%
You then have people saying why did we invite Michigan look at the La players they are getting now.
I trust WF on this one.
Tulane Class of 1981
Aberzombie1892
Swell

sader24 wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:43 pm We are not beating LSU out for kids anytime soon. Pairing with LSU brings more kids to the camp locally than any other pairing we could have. Many of those kids are not quite good enough to get a scholarship from LSU but believe they are or want to see if they can impress LSU at the camp. This gives us access to a lot of 2-3* guys we wouldn’t normally have that much access to including some borderline 4* guys that might fall through the cracks. LSU is already here recruiting and will always be. What goddamn sense does it make for us to bring in schools from other parts of the country and roll out the welcome mat to add to the number of schools recruiting in this state and let them possibly see a 2 or 3 star guy they don’t know about that we may be able to get and have them start stealing the guys not getting as much attention in Louisiana that make up the meat of our recruiting class. Do you think Michigan thinks they are coming in here and consistently outreceuiting LSU for 4 and 5 Star guys? Of course not, they are looking for speed from the South and guys that are a bit under the radar that would jump at opportunity to play at Michigan. You start bringing in outside schools and they start seeing the Mewelde Moore and Matt Forte’s in person at a camp it’s going to hurt us a hell of a lot more than LSU. Y’all are so damn demented by your hate of LSU that you would rather make bad decisions just to piss them off for a day than make good ones for Tulane. We are not on their level currently, I wish we were but we are not. The rules of the 50s-80s do not apply. They don’t need us for anything and there is no outrage at all within the state other than a few hundred Tulane fans at them dropping us. Not to mention you wouldn’t have as many kids at the camps and you are now giving access to Louisiana kids to coaches around the country who will one day be head coaches at smaller schools and head back here to recruit when they are.
This is a thoughtful response and makes a valid point in regard to bringing in competition, but, at the same time, it ignores the fact that 17/25 of the commits in Tulane's best class in recent memory (2018) were from outside of Louisiana, and, not only that, but the majority of commits in that class rated higher than 85.00 on 247 Composite were from outside Louisiana. Because that was the case, and, because Tulane's 2017 class only had 2 Louisiana players, Louisiana players currently do not make up the "meat" of Tulane's classes under Fritz, and Tulane experiencing additional exposure through co-hosting a camp with an elite program would be beneficial by bringing more players to see Tulane without causing too much damage as most elite programs already have bread and butter recruiting grounds, so they are not going to take -too- many players from this region without limiting their existing recruiting base.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Aberzombie1892 wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:54 pm
This is a thoughtful response and makes a valid point in regard to bringing in competition, but, at the same time, it ignores the fact that 17/25 of the commits in Tulane's best class in recent memory (2018) were from outside of Louisiana, and, not only that, but the majority of commits in that class rated higher than 85.00 on 247 Composite were from outside Louisiana. Because that was the case, and, because Tulane's 2017 class only had 2 Louisiana players, Louisiana players currently do not make up the "meat" of Tulane's classes under Fritz, and Tulane experiencing additional exposure through co-hosting a camp with an elite program would be beneficial by bringing more players to see Tulane without causing too much damage as most elite programs already have bread and butter recruiting grounds, so they are not going to take -too- many players from this region without limiting their existing recruiting base.
LSU host’s elite programs on their campus, actually several based on position group.
I am still trying to understand why we should playcate to lsu in every sport then turn around and give them access to our uptown real estate.
They just took a major dump on TU baseball, which was totally unwarranted; They r freakin weakday games. Give me a break.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Aberzombie1892 wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:54 pm
WF has said they started slow in La. This was expected because most of his staff didn’t have La ties. It takes time to build these relationships. Not going to happen overnight. Meanwhile he’s slowly building local ties. The fact that we will host 6 HS football games this fall will be a big benefit in that regard.
Tulane Class of 1981
sader24
Tsunami

I think if you look at the difference between Fritz's 1st class and 2nd, he's obviously gaining more of a foothold in Louisiana as he becomes more familiar with it. LSU is going to see every kid in this state that wants LSU to see them. That does not hold true for Texas Am, Michigan, or whoever. It might mean losing 1 kid a year we were going to get, it might mean losing 1 kid every few years, it might mean 3 kids in one year. However, it doesn't make any sense. It's just going back and forth with LSU when we don't have the ammunition to win that battle. The more people you bring into this state from around the country the more they are not only going to keep coming where they are currently at, but when they move to different schools they will continue to recruit here. It doesn't make any sense at this point other than to screw with LSU. Which is fun to say and do until it backfires on us. As for the baseball situation, we have been gouging their fans on the midweek Turchin game for years and they have been complaining about it for years. We went a step too far and paid the price for it. Their AD is an idiot and our AD doesn't understand or care about the baseball program so we have two guys who don't understand or care about the Tulane-LSU baseball rivalry so we get stupidity and bad things happen. Personally, I would not play them at Zephyr Field. Either Home and Home or nothing. If they want to add a 3rd game at Zephyr I would do that, but until that happens just play someone else. Go get a midweek 2 game series in Starkville or Oxford or Talahassee or wherever.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

sader24 wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:09 pm I think if you look at the difference between Fritz's 1st class and 2nd, he's obviously gaining more of a foothold in Louisiana as he becomes more familiar with it. LSU is going to see every kid in this state that wants LSU to see them. That does not hold true for Texas Am, Michigan, or whoever. It might mean losing 1 kid a year we were going to get, it might mean losing 1 kid every few years, it might mean 3 kids in one year. However, it doesn't make any sense. It's just going back and forth with LSU when we don't have the ammunition to win that battle. The more people you bring into this state from around the country the more they are not only going to keep coming where they are currently at, but when they move to different schools they will continue to recruit here. It doesn't make any sense at this point other than to screw with LSU. Which is fun to say and do until it backfires on us. As for the baseball situation, we have been gouging their fans on the midweek Turchin game for years and they have been complaining about it for years. We went a step too far and paid the price for it. Their AD is an idiot and our AD doesn't understand or care about the baseball program so we have two guys who don't understand or care about the Tulane-LSU baseball rivalry so we get stupidity and bad things happen. Personally, I would not play them at Zephyr Field. Either Home and Home or nothing. If they want to add a 3rd game at Zephyr I would do that, but until that happens just play someone else. Go get a midweek 2 game series in Starkville or Oxford or Talahassee or wherever.
Agree with everything stated here.
We’d be giving in to them by playing in the WPC not good.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I agree that we shouldn't do it at the WPC. That is just like playing them in BR. When we hosted our game against them there it was great. It's set up perfectly for tailgating and we had the majority of the crowd as we were the home team and controlled the ticket distribution. Now we will get a small allotment of crappy seats. To heck with that..
Last edited by winwave on Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:18 pm I agree that we shouldn't do it at the WPC. That is just like playing them in BR. When we hosted our game against them there it was great. It's set up perfectly for tailgating and we had the majority of the crowd as we were the home team and controlled the ticket distribution. Now we will get a small allotment of crappy seats. f**k that..
Yep
Tulane Class of 1981
Aberzombie1892
Swell

sader24 wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:09 pm I think if you look at the difference between Fritz's 1st class and 2nd, he's obviously gaining more of a foothold in Louisiana as he becomes more familiar with it. LSU is going to see every kid in this state that wants LSU to see them. That does not hold true for Texas Am, Michigan, or whoever. It might mean losing 1 kid a year we were going to get, it might mean losing 1 kid every few years, it might mean 3 kids in one year. However, it doesn't make any sense. It's just going back and forth with LSU when we don't have the ammunition to win that battle. The more people you bring into this state from around the country the more they are not only going to keep coming where they are currently at, but when they move to different schools they will continue to recruit here. It doesn't make any sense at this point other than to screw with LSU. Which is fun to say and do until it backfires on us. As for the baseball situation, we have been gouging their fans on the midweek Turchin game for years and they have been complaining about it for years. We went a step too far and paid the price for it. Their AD is an idiot and our AD doesn't understand or care about the baseball program so we have two guys who don't understand or care about the Tulane-LSU baseball rivalry so we get stupidity and bad things happen. Personally, I would not play them at Zephyr Field. Either Home and Home or nothing. If they want to add a 3rd game at Zephyr I would do that, but until that happens just play someone else. Go get a midweek 2 game series in Starkville or Oxford or Talahassee or wherever.
The issue is this: LSU dominates instate recruiting, and the state has a culture that fully encourages and supports that, but Tulane is not going to be able to break LSU's hold on the state on its own at this point, and, given that Fritz has shown that Tulane can recruit well without focusing on Louisiana recruits, Tulane is in a relatively unique position where it could weaken LSU's hold on in-state recruits by bringing in an outside program without doing so having a disproportionate negative effect on Tulane's recruiting since Tulane can apparently sign decent players without having to rely on signing Louisiana players. Honestly, this may be the first time in modern history that that has truly been the case, and it does make sense in the sense that Tulane is not going to weaken LSU's dominance in instate recruiting on its own. It's just not. However, once that recruiting is weakened, more decent in-state players would consider Tulane. Given that now, players with LSU offers don't choose Tulane, what does Tulane have to lose on that front?

As an example, if Texas A&M takes more Louisiana players, that means that it takes fewer Texas players, and, since Tulane has been signing a decent amount of Texas players over the last two cycles, it could expand more into Texas.