Tulane/LSU baseball series

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Show Me
Tsunami

nawlinspete wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:34 am
Sunamiwave wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:31 pm I would much rather see Tulane get to a regional every year and College World Series every few years than worry about a mid week regular season game against LSU. The fact that Joe Alleva cancelled the series is on him and LSU. Tulane has done nothing wrong. Let’s beef up the schedule and RPI by adding teams like TCU, Ole Miss, and Florida State to our schedule. Forget about the losers upriver.
This is the way to go. Great strategy and great post. But we must also win consistently and raise our RPI on our own.
There’s not another team in America that we could play on a Wednesday night sellout the stadium, be on TV and make over $100,000. Try again. This is on Dannen. And then he’s going to have the gall to tax my seat to makeup for his shortcomings. I don’t think so.

Wave755
Tsunami

This is on Dannen, but just the same I sincerely hope Alleva is fired together with Orgeron after this season and following 2020 we can reboot our relationship for baseball.

LSU’s inferiority complex to Tulane as a university is well deserved. This is on Dannen but the fact we have won 5 of the last 6 is a factor as well. LSU’s refusal to play us even in basketball other than for an “exhibition game” shows their true position for lack of sportsmanship for what had been one of the nation’s great rivalry for all sports. Yet, I don’t blame LSU for ending the football rivalry, that is on Cowen.

For baseball we gave them an excuse to do what they have wanted to do for years now and LSU “took it.” A local like Arnie Fielkow never would have made Dannen’s mistake as A. D.

Sadly, any successor to Alleva will probably maintain the LSU policy that, “if we boycott Tulane athletics for long enough, it just might go away.”
kookingkajun
Low Tide

Please don't tell me that you really think that LSU ended this because Tulane won 5 of 6?
LSU goes after championships in baseball. PM says that over and over. SEC regular season, SEC Tourney Regional s, Supers and NC.
We are not a pimple on LSU's butt, du
Tulane's biggest problem is Tulane throughout the years. From leaving the SEC to making a High School stadium.
This is on both sides but Tulane will suffer the most financially. It won't hurt the fans in viewing the game like football and basketball. since we can see them play at The Shrine.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

This isn't about us winning 5 of the last 6. It's about TD trying to fleece their fans by trying to make them pay to see it. Their AD understands that he works for their fans . Ours doesn't.

This also isn't about being reliant on LSU. This is about our greatest and longest rivalry. A game that always filled the place and had a great atmosphere. Our fans don't get that that much in any sport. There is no opponent that can come close to bringing all of that. None.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Show Me
Tsunami

kookingkajun wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:17 am Please don't tell me that you really think that LSU ended this because Tulane won 5 of 6?
LSU goes after championships in baseball. PM says that over and over. SEC regular season, SEC Tourney Regional s, Supers and NC.
Tulane's biggest problem is Tulane throughout the years. From leaving the SEC to making a High School stadium.
This is on both sides but Tulane will suffer the most financially. It won't hurt the fans in viewing the game like football and basketball. since we can see them play at The Shrine.
Yea. It we be on TV. :lol:
Show Me
Tsunami

winwave wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:18 am This isn't about us winning 5 of the last 6. It's about TD trying to fleece their fans by trying to make them pay to see it. Their AD understands that he works for their fans . Ours doesn't.

This also isn't about being reliant on LSU. This is about our greatest and longest rivalry. A game that always filled the place and had a great atmosphere. Our fans don't get that that much in any sport. There is no opponent that can come close to bringing all of that. None.
Excellent post! Dannen confirms himself as a small time thinker from Iowa comes in and screws up the longest rivalry (1893) in his 2nd year.
Wave755
Tsunami

winwave wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:18 am This isn't about us winning 5 of the last 6. It's about TD trying to fleece their fans by trying to make them pay to see it. Their AD understands that he works for their fans . Ours doesn't.

Alleva wanted to end this baseball rivalry from the day he became LSU A. D.

I have many LSU friends and family who hate Alleva and can’t wait to get rid of him. A bad 2018 football season and all Hell will break out in B.R.

Alleva is sitting on a keg on dynamite, and the 2018 LSU football season just might be the spark.

And yes, in regard to Dannen, “pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered.”
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

The way to solve this is to propose playing them in a weekend series home and home after Alleva is fired. I’d even do a 2 for 1. Or you could play one in BR, 1 at Turchin and 1 at the Shrine. It would be a huge money maker and a big win for the fans. That could be only possible if we started winning and have a decent RPI. I know Tulane would be open for this. LSU fans probably could get excited as well. The greatest example would be 2001 Zephyr Field series. Of course the biggest obstacle is Alleva. After he’s fired it may be possible.
And oh yea all games would have to be televised. :x
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
RollWaveRoll
Low Tide

tpstulane wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:55 am The way to solve this is to propose playing them in a weekend series home and home after Alleva is fired. I’d even do a 2 for 1. Or you could play one in BR, 1 at Turchin and 1 at the Shrine. It would be a huge money maker and a big win for the fans. That could be only possible if we started winning and have a decent RPI. I know Tulane would be open for this. LSU fans probably could get excited as well. The greatest example would be 2001 Zephyr Field series. Of course the biggest obstacle is Alleva. After he’s fired it may be possible.
That would be awesome, but we don’t even have to be good to do that. It’s no secret that LSU non conference is the weakest schedule year in year out in the country.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

RollWaveRoll wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:09 pm
tpstulane wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:55 am The way to solve this is to propose playing them in a weekend series home and home after Alleva is fired. I’d even do a 2 for 1. Or you could play one in BR, 1 at Turchin and 1 at the Shrine. It would be a huge money maker and a big win for the fans. That could be only possible if we started winning and have a decent RPI. I know Tulane would be open for this. LSU fans probably could get excited as well. The greatest example would be 2001 Zephyr Field series. Of course the biggest obstacle is Alleva. After he’s fired it may be possible.
That would be awesome, but we don’t even have to be good to do that. It’s no secret that LSU non conference is the weakest schedule year in year out in the country.
Actually it wasn’t that bad. ND, Texas and Hawaii
Tulane Class of 1981
Wavetime
Swell

Show Me wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:06 pm
Sunamiwave wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:31 pm I would much rather see Tulane get to a regional every year and College World Series every few years than worry about a mid week regular season game against LSU. The fact that Joe Alleva cancelled the series is on him and LSU. Tulane has done nothing wrong. Let’s beef up the schedule and RPI by adding teams like TCU, Ole Miss, and Florida State to our schedule. Forget about the losers upriver.
Series not canceled. LSU wants TV exposure so they will no longer come to New Orleans and play Tulane. They not interested in being streamed when about 98% of their games are on TV. This happened on Dannen’s watch. And two straight losing seasons are on Dannen’s watch. Worst since the 1960’s. Accept that fact.
Regionals are great but let’s at least get a winning season at this point.
I agree with what you are saying, but this was inevitable. LSU was looking for an excuse to get out. They only want to play us in the non big 3 sports. Water Polo, bring it on, Track - sure,,,anything that can hurt them recruiting wise,,,,no way, not worth the risk. We've had their number lately in baseball so it was just a matter of time.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Agree as I have been proposing that idea for years on here. Play a three game weekend series the last weekend of non-conference play . Play one here, one there and on at the Shrine. Alternate the home team at the Shrine year to year.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Wavetime
Swell

kookingkajun wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:17 am Please don't tell me that you really think that LSU ended this because Tulane won 5 of 6?
Yes - to a degree. If you don't think LSU keeps an eye on Tulane for recruiting then I believe you are wrong. LSU wants us to go away so they can dominate the state. They want us to be Southeastern, ULL etc. in every sport.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Wave755 wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:48 am

Alleva wanted to end this baseball rivalry from the day he became LSU A. D.

I have many LSU friends and family who hate Alleva and can’t wait to get rid of him. A bad 2018 football season and all Hell will break out in B.R.

Alleva is sitting on a keg on dynamite, and the 2018 LSU football season just might be the spark.

And yes, in regard to Dannen, “pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered.”
If he wanted to do it all along he would have done it. There was nothing stopping him. TD's decision pissed off LSU's fan base and so Alleva reacted the way he did at their request.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Wavetime wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:43 pm
winwave wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:29 am
golfnut69 wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:18 pm
winwave wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:31 pm
golfnut69 wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:16 pm
winwave wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:46 pm
golfnut69 wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:28 pm
tpstulane wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:41 pm Funny. I was reading their board and they want to replace us with USM. That’s who I thought we could replace them with.
Bring on Vegas, Baby....as in StarkVegas !!!!!...better yet....an idea for the ages, Tulane and UNO team up for a tag team baseball match against Auburn and 'Bama...or Texas and TCU...shades of the bush challenge...this is a "no brainer" for Dixie Beer to sponsor...play all games at the shrine on airline, one ticket is an all day pass ...really wanna piss off LSU make it a triple header and include Southeastern, then add an additional road team...you can either get pisser or the pissee...time to make a decision
golf those Busch Challenges were fun and it would be nice to see something like that again but it won't happen for a couple of reasons. The first is those other teams aren't going to jeopardize their relationship with LSU. The second is the Dome is no longer available. The games were guaranteed to get played back then. Though I would note if you somehow found willing partners you could have Tulane and UNO's stadiums in play as back-ups to make up rainouts.
Win...then do not invite any SEC teams, these other conferences could give a ratzz azz less about LSU.....do you think the people in Michigan, Oklahoma, California, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, Oregon, Arizona, give a good sh*t what LSU thinks, they don't, They would love an early season three day week end in warm weather...and teh Dome is no longer available because of that carpetbagger Tom Benson, he made sure NOLA would never get a Major League team
golf- you misunderstood my post. I was talking about UNO and SELA not wanting to jeopardize their series with lSU.
Yes I did, and my apologies for doing so....not sure how much SELA and UNO depend on LSU ...U may be correct and it is their end all , be all, but it may be time for them to start thinking outside of the (alex) Box
No apology necessary. Everybody's fired up about this and rightfully so. It's just Tulane being Tulane.
I agree that it's Tulane being Tulane, but this is also LSU being LSU. There are 2 sides to this story. Every sport that we are competitive in LSU want's to slam the door (except Football). We all know why this is the case. If LSU wasn't so worried about us then why do they always do this? Of course it's money, but that's #2 in this equation (in my opinion). Say what you want about the fans and our ticket prices and TV etc, it's money and recruiting.....

Screw them. TD, this is a wake up call!!!
If it was about being worried about us they would have ended the baseball series in the late 90's, early 2000's. TD made a horrific decision and now we the fans will pay the price.
Wave755
Tsunami

winwave wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:26 pm
Wavetime wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:43 pm
winwave wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:29 am
golfnut69 wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:18 pm
winwave wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:31 pm
golfnut69 wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:16 pm
winwave wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:46 pm
golfnut69 wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:28 pm
tpstulane wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:41 pm Funny. I was reading their board and they want to replace us with USM. That’s who I thought we could replace them with.
Bring on Vegas, Baby....as in StarkVegas !!!!!...better yet....an idea for the ages, Tulane and UNO team up for a tag team baseball match against Auburn and 'Bama...or Texas and TCU...shades of the bush challenge...this is a "no brainer" for Dixie Beer to sponsor...play all games at the shrine on airline, one ticket is an all day pass ...really wanna piss off LSU make it a triple header and include Southeastern, then add an additional road team...you can either get pisser or the pissee...time to make a decision
golf those Busch Challenges were fun and it would be nice to see something like that again but it won't happen for a couple of reasons. The first is those other teams aren't going to jeopardize their relationship with LSU. The second is the Dome is no longer available. The games were guaranteed to get played back then. Though I would note if you somehow found willing partners you could have Tulane and UNO's stadiums in play as back-ups to make up rainouts.
Win...then do not invite any SEC teams, these other conferences could give a ratzz azz less about LSU.....do you think the people in Michigan, Oklahoma, California, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, Oregon, Arizona, give a good sh*t what LSU thinks, they don't, They would love an early season three day week end in warm weather...and teh Dome is no longer available because of that carpetbagger Tom Benson, he made sure NOLA would never get a Major League team
golf- you misunderstood my post. I was talking about UNO and SELA not wanting to jeopardize their series with lSU.
Yes I did, and my apologies for doing so....not sure how much SELA and UNO depend on LSU ...U may be correct and it is their end all , be all, but it may be time for them to start thinking outside of the (alex) Box
No apology necessary. Everybody's fired up about this and rightfully so. It's just Tulane being Tulane.
I agree that it's Tulane being Tulane, but this is also LSU being LSU. There are 2 sides to this story. Every sport that we are competitive in LSU want's to slam the door (except Football). We all know why this is the case. If LSU wasn't so worried about us then why do they always do this? Of course it's money, but that's #2 in this equation (in my opinion). Say what you want about the fans and our ticket prices and TV etc, it's money and recruiting.....

Screw them. TD, this is a wake up call!!!
If it was about being worried about us they would have ended the baseball series in the late 90's, early 2000's. TD made a horrific decision and now we the fans will pay the price.
Alleva didn’t become LSU A.D. until April, 2008. Pulling the plug on the Tulane-LSU baseball game immediately post-Katrina would have been viewed as an “act of treason” against both NewOrleans and Louisiana. And, we were ranked no. 1 for most of 2005. From 2008 until we hired Dave Pierce, LSU totally dominated us in baseball. Skip Bertman was a whole different breed of A.D. for LSU.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

So he's had since 2008 and didn't do it until TD's horrific decision. Sorry but this isn't about is being competitive.
Sunamiwave
High Tide

I don't see how we can accept Lsu's offer of playing in the Wally Pontiff Classic at Zephyr Field. That would set a bad precedent and "normalize" us playing them once a year at a neutral site instead of home and away games against them each season. We need to wait it out until LSU fires Alleva due to his hiring of Ed Orgeron.
Show Me
Tsunami

The facts are it happened on Dannen’s watch so he owns it.
It’s the worst thing that has ever happened to Tulane baseball for now.
Wave755
Tsunami

Sunamiwave wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:55 pm I don't see how we can accept Lsu's offer of playing in the Wally Pontiff Classic at Zephyr Field. That would set a bad precedent and "normalize" us playing them once a year at a neutral site instead of home and away games against them each season. We need to wait it out until LSU fires Alleva due to his hiring of Ed Orgeron.
They are offering us ULALA’s place at the Pontiff Classic. This is an insult, we should just say, “no.”
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Wally P Sr was a neighbor of Rick Jones. He would always ask Rick to play in the Wally P Classic. Rick would say he would only do so if it would be renamed the Retif/Pontiff Classic and both foundations would split the profits. For those that don’t know Milt and the Mickey Retif Foundation were our foundation. Wally refused so that’s why Tulane was never involved under Jones.
Playing in the WP Classic is not the solution. I hope we don’t settle for this.
Wave755 is right it’s an insult to Tulane fans.
Tulane Class of 1981
nawlinspete
Riptide

With our Athletic Department budget somewhere in the $25,000.000 range the loss of revenue from losing 'a payday game' in baseball is ludicrous and literally a drop in the proverbial bucket .

Of much greater concern is that we start winning in all we do. Our FB and MBB revenues are critical. These programs MUST be turned around, soon. Dannen's and our fates are totally dependent on these programs being turned around .
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
Show Me
Tsunami

nawlinspete wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:47 pm With our Athletic Department budget somewhere in the $25,000.000 range the loss of revenue from losing 'a payday game' in baseball is ludicrous and literally a drop in the proverbial bucket .

Of much greater concern is that we start winning in all we do. Our FB and MBB revenues are critical. These programs MUST be turned around, soon. Dannen's and our fates are totally dependent on these programs being turned around .
What planet are you on. It loses millions a year. That’s why they going to tax your seat.
Dannen so desperate he was happy he made $5000 on the LSU game stream.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Might be time to reconsider these LSU/Tulane football camps. LSU has camps all over the state offering locals chances to be seen by the LSU staff. I'd imagine if we partnered with a Michigan or Texas A&M more locals would show up to Yulman as they would get exposure that they did not ordinarily receive from LSU camps in other parts of the state. Clearly LSU doesn't care a lick about Tulane so why keep placating to their own selfish desires to keep everybody out of LA? I mean we are really not recruiting the same athletes so who cares what they want, especially when they won't even play us in the three sports that matter?
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

mbawavefan12 wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:33 am Might be time to reconsider these LSU/Tulane football camps. LSU has camps all over the state offering locals chances to be seen by the LSU staff. I'd imagine if we partnered with a Michigan or Texas A&M more locals would show up to Yulman as they would get exposure that they did not ordinarily receive from LSU camps in other parts of the state. Clearly LSU doesn't care a lick about Tulane so why keep placating to their own selfish desires to keep everybody out of LA? I mean we are really not recruiting the same athletes so who cares what they want, especially when they won't even play us in the three sports that matter?
I agree. The moment LSU announces that they're ending the home and home series with Tulane, Tulane should announce that we've ended camp with LSU, and are now partnering with UT, TxA&M, Michigan or, better yet, Alabama.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V