Tulane/LSU baseball series

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
sader24
Tsunami

Thoughts: It's amazing how much more tuned in he is to just about everything than Dickson. Especially what individual fans are saying and thinking. Just by being engaged he changed my opinion about the whole situation in a few days. Dickson would've acted like we were all idiots, engaged nobody and been disliked and not trusted for years like he was. My opinion after to listening to the interview would be to agree to the 2020 deal and say nothing else on the matter until after the 2020 season. If it's a situation where it works for us and benefits us then continue to play it. If it does not we should walkaway with no worries after 2020 and be creative like some here have suggested trying to schedule a Big Classic. I think he accepted the offer on the WPC because he honestly believed our fans would rather play them there than not at all and he was trying to act in the fans best interest. I also think that he listens to the fans enough that if 2020 isn't a positive for us he will pull out of it. His view on football scheduling is certainly refreshing considering what we had before. I still hate the FCS games, but thats what just about everyone is doing these days. I'm sold on a lot of what he has to say, I'm still not sold on Dunleavy and Jewett. I hope I'm wrong on both accounts, but I haven't seen alot to push me off that opinion thus far.

netshorty
Surge

DfromCT wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:49 pm That being said, I always walk away from listening to a Troy Dannen interview thinking of how much better off Tulane is with him as our AD than the previous AD.
The frustrating part is that he says the right things but it hasn't translated to winning. I also felt all 3 of his hires seemed solid. But he must admit mistakes and fix them asap. He is in a particularly tough position now with basketball. He has to not only admit he made a mistake but must fire a high profile coach. This should be done after this upcoming dismal season.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

It was a great interview. TD is amazing compared to Dickson. He gets it, now we can only hope he made the right hires. These are my comments, read if you please:

1) LSU not benefiting playing TU in a home/home is a little off base. For one it provides another opportunity for local (and north shore) LSU grads to see the team locally. Also this idea that everything has to be about "benefiting" is sort of the antithesis of the spirit of athletics. Not everything has to be about money, tradition does matter. TU is the largest private employer in the largest city in the state, a healthy TU = a healthy NOLA and this helps LSU in many ways as well.

2) Just brainstorming, but why haven't we setup a 3 game weekend series with Vandy? Hell, why doesn't Vandy visit us during the week when they come down for a an SEC series and we can return the favor when we play Memphis or someone else close.

3) Being stubborn on TU baseball TV "rights" should not be rationalized. It was a bad choice that gave LSU an excuse all while adding very little revenue and actually shut out many TU fans from being able to watch the game. I can understand keeping TV rights in FBall or Bball, but this is baseball, your not going to make much and are just going to piss off people on both sides of the aisle. Comparing TU keeping their baseball right to OU keeping FBall rights is a apples to oranges.

4) LSU negotiated the terms of their baseball relationship with TU over freakin emails? That is totally unprofessional.

5) Love that TD was clear that TU is a step above the rest of the LA schools (outside of LSU of course). It's true both from an academic, historical, financial and most of all conference standpoint.

6) I actually think we should play the classic in 2020 and then re-assess. People are just so hurt by the way LSU treated TU that we are angry. Give them that game for our fans and see where things go. It really isn't the end of the world if we play them every year in Metairie, just as long as they don't expect a game in Baton Rouge as well.

7) Love that he stuck it to them with the comment that this would never happen if we had not won 5/6 vs LSU. He has guts and is clearly not going to be LSU's whipping boy. Also love they he has offered other creative opportunities for LSU in Bball. They talk about "student athletes" but in the end it is only about $$$$, it's so sad. Rice plays UH every year in every sport. ECU gets games home/away with NC schools. BC plays UConn. USF and USF gets games with other Florida P5 schools. CInci plays Xavier. SMU plays TCU. Penn State played Temple in FBall in Philly. I don't see how this is different. What is LSU so afraid of in baseball, if they want an in state recruit they will get him over TU in 90% of the cases. Its so petty.

8) I don't like avoiding ULL. Like Miami in the 80's, play anyone anytime. Losing a game against ULL is not going to crush recruiting, beating them cements our status. Solid athletic programs don't run and hide.

9) He talks to Shawn King every other week? Really? What the hell do they discuss, I just found that odd and maybe a bit of an over exaggeration. Just a small meaningless thought on my part.

10) Didin't understand why he felt the need to crap on the UCF national championship stuff. Personally I find it all a bit cheesy but no need to make a negative public statement. At a min it is fun to watch Saban squirm and get pissed about UCF claims.

11) Gets all his info from social media and twitter, that was a bit scary.
Show Me
Tsunami

A couple of things here. First off Dickson was Cowen’s waterboy. Mainieri is Alleva’s. You know how bad it looks on him scared to play Tulane in Nola?
Dannen is just a typical AD. The bar was set so low under Cowen/Dickson that people can’t judge.
Bottom line none of his hires have won anything. Not even a winning season. Talk is cheap. Show Me the W’s then I’ll praise. Until then he’s done nothing but talk a good game. He just had the most storied baseball rivalry in the country end on his watch. Is baseball better for it? Of course not.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Show Me wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:04 am A couple of things here. First off Dickson was Cowen’s waterboy. Mainieri is Alleva’s. You know how bad it looks on him scared to play Tulane in Nola?
Dannen is just a typical AD. The bar was set so low under Cowen/Dickson that people can’t judge.
Bottom line none of his hires have won anything. Not even a winning season. Talk is cheap. Show Me the W’s then I’ll praise. Until then he’s done nothing but talk a good game. He just had the most storied baseball rivalry in the country end on his watch. Is baseball better for it? Of course not.
Isn't that a little over the top? C'mon, man, outside of Louisiana very few sports fans even know that LSU and Tulane play a baseball game. I get that you don't like Dannen, but you're also making things up to prove your dislike is well placed.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
kookingkajun
Low Tide

LSU is not scared to play Tulane. They will be playing them in the WPC. Both fan bases come away 10.00 a ticket cheaper.
Also why would LSU want to split the gate for the MRF? That would mean that WPC would only get half of what they were getting. Adding Tulane will not increase ticket sales.
I get want CPM was saying but don't agree with it. As stated in the Godfather; it's business not personal.
Bottom line is that if we keep playing in the WPC, we become their bitch. 1 and done.
Show Me
Tsunami

kookingkajun wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:49 am LSU is not scared to play Tulane. They will be playing them in the WPC. Both fan bases come away 10.00 a ticket cheaper.
Also why would LSU want to split the gate for the MRF? That would mean that WPC would only get half of what they were getting. Adding Tulane will not increase ticket sales.
I get want CPM was saying but don't agree with it. As stated in the Godfather; it's business not personal.
Bottom line is that if we keep playing in the WPC, we become their bitch. 1 and done.
Scared to play at Tulane in Nola. Yes they will play at LSU or Metairie (LSU advantage all day) He loses it’s bad he wins he’s supposed to.
Last edited by Show Me on Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Show Me
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:20 am
Show Me wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:04 am A couple of things here. First off Dickson was Cowen’s waterboy. Mainieri is Alleva’s. You know how bad it looks on him scared to play Tulane in Nola?
Isn't that a little over the top? C'mon, man, outside of Louisiana very few sports fans even know that LSU and Tulane play a baseball game. I get that you don't like Dannen, but you're also making things up to prove your dislike is well placed.
Outside of Louisiana I couldn’t tell you what other rivals have been going on since 1936 uninterrupted. I bet none. How many other two rivals drew over 25K for a baseball game? Baseball at Tulane was big at one time. No longer I guess.
I’m ok what TD is doing for FB but he’s been a disaster for Tulane baseball. Basketball I’m indifferent. Dunleavy may end up being the answer but he’s probably going to have another losing season without his top two scorers. I know Troy is not expecting much in basketball this year based on that SoundCloud interview.
Sunamiwave
High Tide

Anyone know if Troy Dannen is having any success at fundraising. As bad as Rick Dickson was at least he knew how to raise funds and schmooze the high money donors. Of course he left the average fan out in the cold. I remember near the beginning of his tenure Dannen was talking about a new football ops center that is critically needed. Has anyone heard if Dannen is having success raising money for this? Fundraising is a critical component of Dannen’s job and he needs to be successful with this.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Rick Dickson was good at fundraising? WHAT? Didn't he announce the goal of raising the last $10 million needed to pay off the stadium at opening day in 2014, and then NEVER reached that goal? Other than hitting board members and being on the road constantly, I don't know that he would have covered his own expenses.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Show Me wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:02 pm Outside of Louisiana I couldn’t tell you what other rivals have been going on since 1936 uninterrupted. I bet none. How many other two rivals drew over 25K for a baseball game? Baseball at Tulane was big at one time. No longer I guess.
I’m ok what TD is doing for FB but he’s been a disaster for Tulane baseball. Basketball I’m indifferent. Dunleavy may end up being the answer but he’s probably going to have another losing season without his top two scorers. I know Troy is not expecting much in basketball this year based on that SoundCloud interview.
Rutgers and Princeton, St. Johns and Seton Hall, Stanford and USC, Cal-Berkeley, UCLA, etc. OU vs. OSU, Nebraska, UT, etc. Clemson and South Carolina. There's a whole lot of rivalries that are at least as big as Tulane vs. LSU, many of which have been with teams that were regularly ranked higher than Tulane or LSU. LSU is a johnny come lately in college baseball, Yes, since the mid 1980's they've been regulars at the CWS (Tulane has NOT). But to call the Tulane vs. LSU rivalry as the biggest in college sports is going over the top. And I was at the game in the Superdome that set the record. BFD.

We don't own the baseball rivalry monopoly. We are about 30-35th in attendance, at a FRACTION of what the top 5 draw for baseball. It is an important sport at Tulane, but we've WAY over-emphasized it's importance. Win in Football and Basketball and it means a million times more than winning multiple CWS Titles.
chain gang x man
Swell

Make sure every LSU fan sees this video over and over
Post it on your twitter accounts and your Facebook accounts
https://twitter.com/greenwavebsb/status ... 1312716800
nawlinspete
Riptide

Solution to the "baseball problem":

Eliminate baseball, it does not move the needle an iota. Use the funding where it will do some good, FB, MBB, WBB.
This would also free up land for an OPS CENTER, YULMAN, and the MEDIA CENTER Dannen spoke of. How is fundraising going, Troy ?

After way too long starving FB and BB (both) it is about time we had the gumption to call the "baseball is important" crusade completely misguided.

Every ounce of blood, sweat, money and tears must be invested, in Athletics, in FB and BB (both). This will enhance us not only in athletics but also in increased national reputation and in increased interest in Applications and Admissions.

Baseball does nothing for us.
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

chain gang x man wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:14 pm Make sure every LSU fan sees this video over and over
Post it on your twitter accounts and your Facebook accounts

https://mobile.twitter.com/greenwavebsb ... 1312716800
Done!

Thank you.
Show Me
Tsunami

nawlinspete wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:32 pm Solution to the "baseball problem":

Eliminate baseball, it does not move the needle an iota. Use the funding where it will do some good, FB, MBB, WBB.
This would also free up land for an OPS CENTER, YULMAN, and the MEDIA CENTER Dannen spoke of. How is fundraising going, Troy ?

After way too long starving FB and BB (both) it is about time we had the gumption to call the "baseball is important" crusade completely misguided.

Every ounce of blood, sweat, money and tears must be invested, in Athletics, in FB and BB (both). This will enhance us not only in athletics but also in increased national reputation and in increased interest in Applications and Admissions.

You may get your wish in the next few years. Remember Dannen killed baseball at his last stop. Dropping LSU would make it easier since it kills much of the baseball fanbase interest. And his hiring of a bad coach has further eroded fan interest and support. A few more years of apathy and losing and it will be easy to kill it. Par for the course maybe we can replace it with women’s softball. On the bright side I’ll save $1,000 a year if they kill it.
Bearwave
High Tide

nawlinspete wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:32 pm Solution to the "baseball problem":

Pumping money into those won’t make them powers. Tulane FB is no better than 4th best program in the state. That certainly doesn’t move any needles. Basketball is laughable. Baseball at least was a regional program on a very consistent basis and made 2 CWS’s. The other sports can’t sniff post season.
Bears are Ready to Rhule! Sic'em
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Bearwave wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:55 pm Tulane FB is no better than 4th best program in the state.
Sorry but the BS flag is thrown on your post. Fourth best program in the state?? What other programs have beaten us lately? U-La-La didn't beat us last time we played. Their sister University UL-M was also blown away at their stadium last time we played them. Same goes true for LaTech ,and the others. LSU may fall behind the Wave this year (though I'll admit they've been way ahead for a long time). But who else in state is better right now?

Where the hell do you come up with this? Are you a Tulane fan? And oh by the way, when was the last time the Bears made the playoffs? 7 years is a long time to go, but as a Tulane fan you learn to persevere.
Last edited by DfromCT on Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

The popcorn is tasty.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Profoundwizard
Swell

DfromCT wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:37 pm
Bearwave wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:55 pm Tulane FB is no better than 4th best program in the state.
Sorry but the BS flag is thrown on your post. Fourth best program in the state?? What other programs have beaten us lately? U-La-La didn't beat us last time we played. Their sister University UL-M was also blown away at their stadium last time we played them. Same goes true for LaTech ,and the others. LSU may fall behind the Wave this year (though I'll admit they've been way ahead for a long time). But who else in state is better right now?

Where the hell do you come up with this? Are you a Tulane fan? And oh by the way, when was the last time the Bears made the playoffs? 7 years is a long time to go, but as a Tulane fan you learn to persevere.
Not saying that I agree with bear wave but if you look at the records in football in the last 5-10 years ULL probably has a better record than us. They’ve won their conference a few times and even beat us on the field 2-3 times. Now obviously we have been in a much better conference than they have.

I guess the other school aside from LSU that’s been more successful lately is La Tech. Sonny Dykes had some good teams and Skip Holtz has followed that up with some success as well.
Bearwave
High Tide

1. LSU and they are so far above the rest it isn't funny
2. La Tech- Dykes has them improving steadily
3. ULL
4. Tulane- sure the ACC is better than the Sunbelt but what exactly has the wave done in the ACC in football? They may get better under Fritz but will never be a player in the grand scheme of football

I've probably been to more Tulane games than many on here, going back to the 60's. Quit going to football when we passed over Rich Rod for fricking Scelfo. Poured more sweat on the baseball field for 20 years than I care to remember. Watching the decline is baseball has been hard. Yes some rules were changed but other privates around the country have it figured out and are winning.
When my kid went to an out of state college in 2014(Private school in the Big XII) and I went to some sporting events there it opened my eyes wide as to how sad the state of Tulane athletics was.
Bears are Ready to Rhule! Sic'em
Wave755
Tsunami

Bearwave wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:07 am

3. ULL
4. Tulane- sure the ACC is better than the Sunbelt but what exactly has the wave done in the ACC in football? They may get better under Fritz but will never be a player in the grand scheme of football

I've probably been to more Tulane games than many on here, going back to the 60's. Quit going to football when we passed over Rich Rod for fricking Scelfo. Poured more sweat on the baseball field for 20 years than I care to remember. Watching the decline is baseball has been hard. Yes some rules were changed but other privates around the country have it figured out and are winning.
When my kid went to an out of state college in 2014(Private school in the Big XII) and I went to some sporting events there it opened my eyes wide as to how sad the state of Tulane athletics was.
Wow, you really are drinking the "ULALA Kool-Aid." :lol:

For 2018 Rivals ranks Tulane's recruiting class 65; ULALA is unranked since outside of the top 100. For 2018 247 ranks Tulane's class 67, ULALA 120.

And, ULALA ended the 2017 season losing to Appy St. 63-14..

And instead, our 20 to 17 victory over Houston last year was simply a preview for this season under Coach Fritz.

And please don't tell me, you believe ULALA as an institution will shortly be accorded Association of American Universities (AAU) status, in addition to only Tulane for Louisiana? :P
Pepper
Swell

After a few days, I say screw them. Our football & basketball teams have survived without scheduling them, baseball won't miss a beat. I've seen their mid-week crowds. They won't draw anybody better but that's their problem. I wouldn't play them at Zephyr either. On a side note, I'd love to cancel this football camp bs with them and bring in Bama. They would shit their pants.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Pepper wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:04 pm After a few days, I say screw them. Our football & basketball teams have survived without scheduling them, baseball won't miss a beat. I've seen their mid-week crowds. They won't draw anybody better but that's their problem. I wouldn't play them at Zephyr either. On a side note, I'd love to cancel this football camp bs with them and bring in Bama. They would sh*t their pants.
Wow. What a great idea!
You think they hate Saban now I could only imagine should that occur.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
kookingkajun
Low Tide

Wave755 wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:25 am
Bearwave wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:07 am

3. ULL

Wow, you really are drinking the "ULALA Kool-Aid." :lol:

For 2018 Rivals ranks Tulane's recruiting class 65; ULALA is unranked since outside of the top 100. For 2018 247 ranks Tulane's class 67, ULALA 120.

And, ULALA ended the 2017 season losing to Appy St. 63-14..

And instead, our 20 to 17 victory over Houston last year was simply a preview for this season under Coach Fritz.

And please don't tell me, you believe ULALA as an institution will shortly be accorded Association of American Universities (AAU) status, in addition to only Tulane for Louisiana? :P
Why do you have to bring up academics in a sports forum? I really wouldn't go there with bragging on how smart Tulane is......leaving SEC, picking Selfo, not picking AC etc.
For a "smart school" Tulane has made some stupid decisions...just saying.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

kookingkajun wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:57 pm

Why do you have to bring up academics in a sports forum? I really wouldn't go there with bragging on how smart Tulane is......leaving SEC, picking Selfo, not picking AC etc.
For a "smart school" Tulane has made some stupid decisions...just saying.
Here’s the Board in charge when we left the SEC
Could be the worst financial decision ever made in collegiate athletic history.
GT leaving not as bad since they were able to join the ACC.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981