Interesting Athlon Rankings

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Interesting to see UAB ranked better than Tulane by 6 spots, and their coach with a little bit bigger margin in the coaching rankings over Willie Fritz (59 to 49). Although these are meaningless rankings used to fill pages and generate interest during the dog days, we cannot just write down a W for the UAB game. It's a road game (which Tulane typically struggles in) against a hungry team that will give us everything they have. That's really the swing game or the season. We must go 3-1 in OOC play..
Last edited by DfromCT on Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Aberzombie1892
Swell

DfromCT wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:58 am
Interesting to see UAB ranked better than Tulane by 6 spots, and their coach with a little bit bigger margin in the coaching rankings over Willie Fritz (59 to 49). Although these are meaningless rankings used to fill pages and generate interest during the dog days, se cannot just write down a W for the UAB game. It's a road game (which Tulane typically struggles in) against a hungry team that will give us everything they have. That's really the swing game or the season. We must go 3-1 in OOC play..
I agree. Tulane has yet to put together a season where it consistently defeats -bad- teams, so it's difficult to assume that Tulane would managed to do so in a random season. That's not meant as a shot at UAB, but it is meant as an honest assessment of how many wins Tulane has left on the table under Fritz and CJ due to not being able to defeat teams that weren't that good.

If Tulane finishes less than 3-1 in OOC, a bowl may be off the table, and, what's worse, a 1-3 OOC record is still within the realm of possibility with @Ohio State, @UAB, and Wake Forest. Wake, in particular, may be using a different starter at QB, but it has one of the most experienced offensive lines in the ACC (i.e. four redshirt seniors that are all potential All-ACC selections), and that doesn't sit well since it gives the new Wake QB a margin of error especially given Tulane's turnover on defense.
galvezwave
Swell

Clark had a tommy Bowden like rise in the ranks. If he wins 10+ he’ll be moving on . That’s a dangerous game on the road. IMO, escaping that game with a W and going to The horse shoe 3-0 would be massive. Massive. It would at least be a story heading into the game. Fritz will have to have them focused, if they’re thinking about Ohio state , we’ll get fleeced in Birmingham. Assuming we’re fortunate enough to beat wake of course.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

We are Tulane. We can never assume a W and no one does.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
galvezwave
Swell

winwave wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:21 pm We are Tulane. We can never assume a W and no one does.
Ha of course. My expectations are a little elevated . Which is extremely foolish on my part. I’ll be extremely disappointed if we don’t leave Ohio 2-2 at worst.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

galvezwave wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:07 pm
winwave wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:21 pm We are Tulane. We can never assume a W and no one does.
Ha of course. My expectations are a little elevated . Which is extremely foolish on my part. I’ll be extremely disappointed if we don’t leave Ohio 2-2 at worst.
I've got no problem with expectations. In fact I should have concluded my post above with that. The UAB coach has done a good job. I respect that he stayed the course when they pulled the rug from underneath him. He can coach. However I expect us to win that game like you do. Of course we have to be ready. That goes without saying for any team. Teams not being ready is why you have upsets
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.