Kody Hoese a Dodger

The board for former Green Wave players and coaches.
chain gang x man
Swell

Kody Hoese decided to return to Tulane for his junior season after being drafted by the Kansas City Royals
Last edited by chain gang x man on Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Houma de Wave
Swell

Good news. Good kid. We need his leadership and his bat.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Way to go, Kody.

He didn't burn bridges, and handled this in a professional manner. I hope that, even if he leaves after his Junior year, he gets a Tulane degree. He'll be a success if this is how he handles himself away from the game, which is where the lion's share of his life will be spent, unless he becomes a coach.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
GreenLantern
Riptide

https://twitter.com/GreenWaveBSB/status ... 7584719872
chain gang x man
Swell

https://www.nola.com/tulane/2019/04/mee ... harts.html
One lesson Dave Griffin teaches most young baseball players is about the high failure rate in the sport. Most at-bats will result in outs, and strikeouts can be common.

With Kody Hoese, none of that applied. Not because he never failed — the current Tulane baseball standout made his share of outs. But one way he separated himself from many of the other 13-year-olds who came to Griffin’s 7,000-square foot hitting facility in Griffith, Indiana, was his temperament. He never got too down after failure. Never too excited after success.

It’s what made the current 21-year-old a rather bland interview subject after his three home runs in one game against Lamar this season. It’s what allows him to remain consistent enough at the plate to string together a 19-game hitting streak that lasted up to Sunday, before he posted another five hits and two home runs Tuesday against UNO.

Coaches who worked with Hoese in the past scan his 2019 stat line and note the 14 home runs against 11 strikeouts with a .400 batting average through 29 games and come away with the assessment that he’s having the kind of season that could make him a high-round MLB Draft pick this June.

Others tend to agree. Perfect Game put him on its Midseason All-American team released Wednesday. Last week, D1baseball.com listed him as the second-best third baseman in the country.

“That (home run-to-strikeout ratio) is a big number right there,” said Sean Laird, a former South Alabama baseball player who coached Hoese for two summers with the Indiana Bulls travel team. “That’s showing he can see the ball in the zone. He’s not getting himself out and when he gets his pitch, he’s crushing the ball.”

Hoese always had quick bat speed. In the 21 seasons Brian Jennings has coached baseball at Griffith High School, Hoese is one of two players to begin his freshman season as an every-game varsity starter. Coaches from then remember the high-school shortstop for his rail-thin body frame with quick wrists that made him a solid contact hitter. They all knew the power numbers would come as he grew into his body, which now measures at 6-foot-4 and 200 pounds.

Griffin, who coached Hoese on a local travel team, likened Hoese as a child to five-time All-Star shortstop Troy Tulowitzki for his rangy play at shortstop.

“He always had good hands,” said Griffin, the operator of the baseball facility that has three long hitting cages along with two pitching areas.

Whenever Hoese is home for the summer or holidays, he comes and goes as he pleases at the hitting facility. To enter, he uses the passcode on the keyless entry pad. Maybe a dozen or so other baseball players have that code, Griffin said.

“I’m a big proponent of hitting off the high tee, going the other way, staying up the middle,” said Griffin, who worked with Hoese for some of his early hitting lessons. “Not just getting in there to see how far you can hit it to left field or hit the top net all the time. I’m more about teaching guys how to hit and how to hit certain pitches and you know, staying within your swing.”

Hoese no longer has the high leg kick that helped him time-up the pitches he faced in high school. Previous coaches said how the quicker pitches Hoese faces in college caused him to eliminate any unneeded motion before and during his swing. He’s always had a level swing, and the home-run power came only as he put on more muscle through the years.

At Tulane, his home-run totals have gone up from zero as a freshman to five as a sophomore to now 14, which has him two behind Hunter Bishop of Arizona State for the national lead.

Sue Hoese, Kody’s mother, said people in the neighborhood remember seeing Kody and his dad, Dave, play baseball in the front yard when Kody was 3 years old. Dave played baseball in high school and spent one fall with the Indiana University baseball team but did not make the in-season roster.

Still, he passed along whatever he knew about baseball to the point where his son held a passion for the sport. Both parents said they never pressured Hoese into playing the sport. He also played basketball and made the high school varsity team as a freshman but decided after that first season to put all his athletic focus on baseball.

Hoese could have stayed near home and played in college at Purdue or Indiana. He also held an offer from Arkansas — going there would have put him in the the SEC with former Indiana Bulls teammate Zack Thompson, now a pitching ace for Kentucky — but he wanted to play most of his games in the far south like Laird did when he went from Kokomo, Indiana, to South Alabama.

His next move is likely to come this summer. The Kansas City Royals selected Hoese in the 30th round last June as a draft-eligible sophomore, but with two seasons of college eligibility remaining, he remained unsigned.

Certainly, Hoese has stayed on the radar of the Royals and just about every other professional baseball organization. Multiple observers believe Hoese will be a top-10-round selected player this June, with one assessment putting him in the pool of sandwich picks between the first and second rounds. It’s all guesswork, of course, as draft positions in baseball are sometimes based on things other than talent.

Much of that draft positioning will be based on what Hoese does over the next couple months. He’s the regular No. 2 hitter in the lineup and an every-game third baseman. He’s a player Tulane coach Travis Jewett never has to consider leaving out of the lineup.

“Probably a future major leaguer,” the coach said.

Whatever happens next will come in due time. Just like everything else in Hoese’s baseball career, it has occurred with patience and perspective. Being patient and staying calm, it’s what he’s best at.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

On the watchlist for The Golden Spikes award:

https://www.nola.com/tulane/2019/04/tul ... -list.html
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I'm pretty sure Hoese was drafted last spring but decided to come back. Smart decision as his stock is skyrocketing this year. If he finishes the season as strong as he's started, he'll be a drafted high enough to get a signing bonus that could set him up for life (if invested wisely.) Hopefully he goes on to bigger (and more lucrative) things at the next levels.

When he arrived at Tulane he and Sal Gozzo were fighting to step into the big void when Alamais went pro. Gozzo proved to pick it better at short, and Hoese is obviously the better hitter (and has turned into a respectable 3B IMHO). He's having a year for the ages at the plate.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

This young man is literally printing money for himself with this season. If he keeps it up, he'll be a very high draft pick. And clearly, as much as we ALL bemoan some of the coaching, he's come a long way since his Freshman year.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Heard part of Jewett's radio show tonight, and he and Graff were talking about Hoese. TJ says that pretty much every team has asked about him, and as he put it, some saying "but he wont be there when we pick at # 24 or whatever". Is he going to go that high?
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

He's 100% absolutely projecting high first round right now.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

1st Rd Yankees if he’s still there.
https://www.perfectgame.org/Articles/Vi ... icle=16352
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 6:29 pm 1st Rd Yankees if he’s still there.
https://www.perfectgame.org/Articles/Vi ... icle=16352
Last year their mock draft V2 had 2 picks accurate, numbers 1 and 3. They had about a dozen of the first 35 picks in their first round (there's compensatory picks that are counted as first round picks.) in the mock draft. I laugh at mock drafts for that reason. A couple of weeks ago, some "experts" were doing full 7 round mock NFL drafts!! As I told my buddy, we could have 14 players (friends) for a touch football game and I couldn't tell you who was getting picked in the last couple of picks!

The biggest "expert" for NFL drafts has been, for a very long time, Mel Kyper. Mel is wrong and very wrong often. Best example: his reaction when the Colts picked Marshall Faulk:

"This is why the Colts are drafting in the lottery every year."

As we all know, Faulk went on to a first ballot Hall of Fame career.

I'm pretty sure that Zion Williamson is going #1 in the upcoming NBA draft, but I haven't watched a full NBA game in a long, long time. Possibly 20 years. What do I know? What do the "experts" know? The GM's must play their cards very close to their chests.

I hope Hoese goes a lot higher, and I'm thinking he will. But I'm no "expert" and wouldn't venture a guess as to where he lands.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Good for him if it happens. One thing they are likely wrong about is that he will be an above average defender. His reaction time to balls hit to either side of him is noticeably bad. He's going to need a lot of work there. As to mock drafts I don't think anybody takes them seriously. They get that it's for our entertainment. Keep 'em coming.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

No words needed
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

High hopper tps. I'm talking about hard hit balls on the ground to either side of him. Where you sit you don't have the dead on view I do. Everybody sitting back there has commented on it. Look based on his hitting I think he'll get picked in the first and certainly hope he does. He'll get every opportunity to improve in the field. . Hope it turns out well and we get an everyday MLB player.
Profoundwizard
Swell

If he continues to hit like he has his defense won’t matter. They’ll find somewhere he can play. 1st base, DH, OF etc.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

That's true. Hope it works out well for him.
chain gang x man
Swell

winwave wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 10:09 pm High hopper tps. I'm talking about hard hit balls on the ground to either side of him. Where you sit you don't have the dead on view I do. Everybody sitting back there has commented on it. Look based on his hitting I think he'll get picked in the first and certainly hope he does. He'll get every opportunity to improve in the field. . Hope it turns out well and we get an everyday MLB player.
I wish we would play more no doubles defense. Coaches have Kody playing too far off the line. Hard hit balls to his right go for doubles. Position him to take away the doubles. Hard hit balls to his left are held to singles. Take away the doubles
chain gang x man
Swell

https://tulanegreenwave.com/news/2019/5 ... honor.aspx

Amateur athlete in GNO for the month of April
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Vote for Kody:

https://www.usabaseball.com/golden-spik ... inees/2019

Early and often. It let's you vote up to 25 times a day.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 9:56 pm Vote for Kody:

https://www.usabaseball.com/golden-spik ... inees/2019

Early and often. It let's you vote up to 25 times a day.
I put my 25 votes in. I hope the fan voting is one of many categories used as our fan base is ill equipped to stuff the ballot box compared to some of the others.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Kody is the AAC Player of the year. Roper, Haskin and Niemann made 2nd team AAC. Congrats to all. Good luck to Kody and Huddie on getting the National Awards.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

AAC story:

http://theamerican.org/news/2019/5/20/t ... -year.aspx

Can't believe Haskin didn't get Newcomer of the Year. He's a five tool player. What a joke.