Tulane loses Series to #20 UCONN

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Last edited by winwave on Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I would be surprised if all three games get played as scheduled. We have the rain coming through late afternoon and evening today, and again tomorrow afternoon.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
winwave
Top of the WAVE

The games today and tomorrow will be on ESPN3.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:57 pm The games today and tomorrow will be on ESPN3.
Cool thx!
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

And the weather man seems to be cooperating! Last night it was gloom and doom for 5 to 8 PM tonight, 80% chance of rain with thunderstorms (rare here in CT in April). Now it's down to 10% chance of rain and simply cloudy tonight and tomorrow.

Unfortunately I can't make it to Hartford or Storrs this weekend.

Roll Wave!
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
winwave
Top of the WAVE

They've been battling injuries but are getting most of them back for this series:

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m-ba ... 18aaa.html
torbida
Surge

tough loss 6-2 gave up 3 runs 1st inning and stranded a lot of runners esp. late in game. Gotta get next 2 for sure.
galvezwave
Swell

God forbid have a little hope :roll:
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

I couldn’t watch or listen but I got a text questioning a decision in the 9th. Did we really give away one of our remaining 3 outs to sac bunt down by 4 runs with no outs in the 9th?
Tulane Class of 1981
Houma de Wave
Swell

tpstulane wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:14 am I couldn’t watch or listen but I got a text questioning a decision in the 9th. Did we really give away one of our remaining 3 outs to sac bunt down by 4 runs with no outs in the 9th?
While I couldn’t believe we were bunting at all in that situation, I didn’t take it as a “Sac” bunt. We needed 3 base runners to give us a chance at one swing tying it up, but, please, a bunt? Drag or Sac - I couldn’t believe it.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Houma de Wave wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:29 am
tpstulane wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:14 am I couldn’t watch or listen but I got a text questioning a decision in the 9th. Did we really give away one of our remaining 3 outs to sac bunt down by 4 runs with no outs in the 9th?
While I couldn’t believe we were bunting at all in that situation, I didn’t take it as a “Sac” bunt. We needed 3 base runners to give us a chance at one swing tying it up, but, please, a bunt? Drag or Sac - I couldn’t believe it.
Ok. I assume the player did it on his own. Did it work out?
Tulane Class of 1981
torbida
Surge

Game #2 bases. loaded witherspoon grand slam! 5-0 Tulane
Wave755
Tsunami

:) Top of the 8th, Wave 5, UCONN 1.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Tulane evens the series with a 7-1 win. Gillies gave us a complete game. He got shook up a little in the 7th when their coach asked the ump to check his belt for a foreign substance. Gave up three straight hits but then reverted to form and shut them down the rest of the way. Spoon's grand slam gave us what we needed.
Wave755
Tsunami

Great game for Gillies!
Bigschtick
Riptide

Great win! Now get the series!
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
Houma de Wave
Swell

winwave wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:15 pm Gillies gave us a complete game. He got shook up a little in the 7th when their coach asked the ump to check his belt for a foreign substance.
...which, IMHO, was one of the lowest points in Jim Penders coaching career. He owes Keagan Gilles an apology. What a bush league move! Some will say, "Hey, that's baseball." But he was totally out of order.

With that move, does he think we will root for UConn if they make the regionals?

Gilles showed strength and endurance in getting the complete game win - I don't think Coach Jewett could have physically removed him from the mound.

Great win!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Houma de Wave wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:20 pm
winwave wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:15 pm Gillies gave us a complete game. He got shook up a little in the 7th when their coach asked the ump to check his belt for a foreign substance.
...which, IMHO, was one of the lowest points in Jim Penders coaching career. He owes Keagan Gilles an apology. What a bush league move! Some will say, "Hey, that's baseball." But he was totally out of order.

With that move, does he think we will root for UConn if they make the regionals?

Gilles showed strength and endurance in getting the complete game win - I don't think Coach Jewett could have physically removed him from the mound.

Great win!
+1,000,000
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Houma de Wave wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:20 pm

Great win!
Didn’t listen to the game. Why do you say it was out of order?
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Go watch the reply it’s still up on ESPN3. Skip to that point. 1hour 57min mark
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Personally I didn’t think much of it. It’s a mental thing if you let it rattle you. It just so happened that the top of their lineup finally got a few consecutive hits. The announcers kept crediting their coach for rattling Gillies. It wasn’t like he started walking people or something. He got through only giving up one run and continued to mow them down. But he does have a bad habit of going to his belt a lot before he delivers.
Tulane Class of 1981
Houma de Wave
Swell

As per The Hartford Courant, Penders said a couple of players on the bench told him about Gilles going to the belt, so he (Penders) went out and challenged it for the players; said he hadn’t done that in 15 years. He’s in his 15th year as head coach of UConn.
Wave755
Tsunami

Early start today 10:00 a.m. CDT; after two innings @ Storrs UCONN 4,Wave 1. :(
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Houma de Wave wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:46 am As per The Hartford Courant, Penders said a couple of players on the bench told him about Gilles going to the belt, so he (Penders) went out and challenged it for the players; said he hadn’t done that in 15 years. He’s in his 15th year as head coach of UConn.
I can believe that.
Tulane Class of 1981