Forum/Server Upgrade & Theme Update

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
User avatar
NOLABigSteve
Riptide
Posts: 3041
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:00 am
Location: New Orleans, LA
Contact:
Status: Offline

Thu May 03, 2018 9:03 pm

DfromCT wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 5:28 pm
Hey, Steve,
I don't know if other's have this same experience, but when I'm writing a reply in a thread, the washout makes it difficult to read, particularly difficult to see punctuation. I don't know if the fixes you applied have affected the reply area. THANKS!
Can you take a screenshot or something? I want to see what you’re talking about. Also, on what device/browser are you experiencing this?


Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
DfromCT
Tsunami
Posts: 5863
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Fri May 04, 2018 7:52 am

I cannot take a screen shot, but this is being done on a laptop, using Chrome.
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your ongoing support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
User avatar
NOLABigSteve
Riptide
Posts: 3041
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:00 am
Location: New Orleans, LA
Contact:
Status: Offline

Fri May 04, 2018 9:07 am

DfromCT wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 7:52 am
I cannot take a screen shot, but this is being done on a laptop, using Chrome.
I'm on a MacBook Air 11". Looks fine on Chrome, Firefox, and Safari. Perhaps take a pic of your screen with your phone and send it to me. I don't know, just need to see what you are talking about.

Anyone else experiencing this?
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
User avatar
GreenLantern
Swell
Posts: 1583
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:41 pm
Status: Offline

Sun May 06, 2018 5:59 pm

Hi Steve,

I do the majority of my recreational web surfing on an IPad using Chrome or Safari. The screenshot below is a typical of what I get when there are a number of nested quotes. In this example, it was necessary to scroll down 6-8 screenfuls before getting to the last and relevant comment. It appears that the cause of the issue is the date/time of each quote. Both browsers fully render the date string which causes the comment text to collapse to one or two chars in width.

Thanks for all you do. Please don't waste a lot of time thinking about this. I can always go to my desktop computer to read the entire topic.


Image
User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 17435
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

Sun May 06, 2018 6:22 pm

GreenLantern wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 5:59 pm
Hi Steve,

I do the majority of my recreational web surfing on an IPad using Chrome or Safari. The screenshot below is a typical of what I get when there are a number of nested quotes. In this example, it was necessary to scroll down 6-8 screenfuls before getting to the last and relevant comment. It appears that the cause of the issue is the date/time of each quote. Both browsers fully render the date string which causes the comment text to collapse to one or two chars in width.

Thanks for all you do. Please don't waste a lot of time thinking about this. I can always go to my desktop computer to read the entire topic.


Image
Same thing here on iPhone. The old setup didn’t do this.
Stadiums get old, winning never does.
Tulane Class of 1981
User avatar
NOLABigSteve
Riptide
Posts: 3041
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:00 am
Location: New Orleans, LA
Contact:
Status: Offline

Sun May 06, 2018 8:16 pm

Ok, I totally forgot about this issue y'all brought up last week. Looking now.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
User avatar
ajcalhoun
Swell
Posts: 1799
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:42 pm
Status: Offline

Sun May 06, 2018 9:48 pm

Hey, just letting you know this happens on my android using chrome as well. When I respond to a post I generally only quote the relevant text I'm responding to so to mitigate the problem but I can't expect everyone to do the same. (But I wish they would.)
Welcome to gotula.net, where it's never too late to mention Tanner Lee, Andy Cannizaro, Lindsey Scott Jr., Rich Rodriguez, David Pierce, or, of course, Scott Cowan.
DfromCT
Tsunami
Posts: 5863
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Mon May 07, 2018 6:32 am

ajcalhoun wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 9:48 pm
Hey, just letting you know this happens on my android using chrome as well. When I respond to a post I generally only quote the relevant text I'm responding to so to mitigate the problem but I can't expect everyone to do the same. (But I wish they would.)
+1,000,000
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your ongoing support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
User avatar
NOLABigSteve
Riptide
Posts: 3041
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:00 am
Location: New Orleans, LA
Contact:
Status: Offline

Mon May 07, 2018 11:24 am

Ok, I've reduced the thickness of the green border on the left, and the padding on the left and right of the quoted responses. For heavily nested threads, this will help claim some screen real estate. I've looked at it on an iPhone X, MacBook Air 11", and desktop PC, but not yet my iPad. The date DOES NOT show up on my iPhone, but let me check the iPad when I get home. After figuring out the date, there is not much else I can do without heavily modifying this theme. Right now, I've got unlimited nested quotes when responding to a message, but perhaps I can also reactivate a threshold... say no more than 3 nested quotes? (That was the default). Give me your thoughts. Again, let me see what I can do about the date, I'm just not seeing it on the iPhone, but understand that the iPad is a different resolution.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
User avatar
NOLABigSteve
Riptide
Posts: 3041
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:00 am
Location: New Orleans, LA
Contact:
Status: Offline

Mon May 07, 2018 11:28 am

DfromCT wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 5:28 pm
Hey, Steve,
I don't know if other's have this same experience, but when I'm writing a reply in a thread, the washout makes it difficult to read, particularly difficult to see punctuation. I don't know if the fixes you applied have affected the reply area. THANKS!
I've also looked at this, and the gray background is the same across the board for the site... I can't just target that one element at the moment. The text color in the text area comes across as black too on all of the devices that I have checked.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
User avatar
GreenLantern
Swell
Posts: 1583
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:41 pm
Status: Offline

Mon May 07, 2018 1:15 pm

Much mo' bettah. After your changes, the first image below is portrait orientation and the second is landscape. Both are very readable. Now folks can continue to nest 10-12 quotes. :)

Image
Image
User avatar
NOLABigSteve
Riptide
Posts: 3041
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:00 am
Location: New Orleans, LA
Contact:
Status: Offline

Mon May 07, 2018 2:44 pm

GreenLantern wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 1:15 pm
Much mo' bettah. After your changes, the first image below is portrait orientation and the second is landscape. Both are very readable. Now folks can continue to nest 10-12 quotes. :)

Image
Image
Awesome. Quoting you, See what I did there.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
Post Reply