SBNATION on The Wave

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:22 am It would be a fatal mistake to go back to our run centric ways. It failed and the staff finally recognized it and opened up the offense and we made a run at a Bowl game. This staff has the fundamentals and the discipline down pat. What they need to show is imagination and the willingness to take some risk .They have not done that all since being here. Hilliard should have been utilized more in open space. Badie's abilities in space were ignored. Glenn hasn't been utilized. They put that on ball security but we wouldn't know since he has hardly touched it.

We'll know right off the bat if this staff has stepped up its game. Dauphine should have an electric first game against this defense. They were really bad last year and will be worse this year as they lost their two best players who were both drafted, One in the 2nd round. I am still concerned about our RB's. Bradwell runs too straight up and has gotten too big. He does have time to get his form down and his body right. Huderson is small. I hope he can endure a full season. Dauphine will be good on the edges and in space if the staff is doing their jobs.

Our chance to win this year will be to win shootouts. Though we were fortunate to get Johnson at DT and he came in early so he will be able to contribute this season. Our second best DL signee, Wright, also came in early. So there is some hope there.

If we are going to win meaningful games and have a meaningful season it starts with winning this game.
We try to win a shootout with Wake and we'll lose by double digits, hands down.

" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
winwave
Top of the WAVE

We try to hold the ball and we get crushed and there will be nobody at the games the rest of the year.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I'm not saying we abandon the passing game and run 60 times, pass 10 times. I'm saying we cannot try to get into a shoot out with a team that was 17th in the nation in Total Offense and figures to be better this year. They run plays at about a 12 second interval, our D will be gassed by the start of the second half, and they'll put up HUGE numbers against us in that scenario. I'm sure the coaching staff already knows this, even though you don't.
ajcalhoun
Swell

DfromCT wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:42 am I'm sure the coaching staff already knows this, even though you don't.
God Bless Everyone!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:42 am I'm not saying we abandon the passing game and run 60 times, pass 10 times. I'm saying we cannot try to get into a shoot out with a team that was 17th in the nation in Total Offense and figures to be better this year. They run plays at about a 12 second interval, our D will be gassed by the start of the second half, and they'll put up HUGE numbers against us in that scenario. I'm sure the coaching staff already knows this, even though you don't.
There offense won't be better especially when they play us with those replacements in their first game. Just b/c we open the offense up doesn't mean we'll score all that quickly it just means we'll score. I hope the staff isn't as scared as you.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

ajcalhoun wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:20 am
DfromCT wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:42 am I'm sure the coaching staff already knows this, even though you don't.
LOl. AJ you have to consider the source in these matters.
Ruski
Swell

DfromCT wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:40 pm
Ruski wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:35 pm
Cincy has a lot of talent that should be starting to blossom.....they beat us last year in Fickell's first year with a garbage roster.....at home..... 38% is generous

Memphis is returning almost everything but QB and RB.....most importantly Norvell is back....they might be beatable but 40% is too high

Houston now has Kendal Briles....we'll see if it's enough to offset Applewhite

USF is always gonna be overhyped to me until Strong really shows he can do something with his own talent

Agree for the most part with you tho
Ruski, If they had a garbage roster last year, how is there a lot of talent that should be starting to blossom? Did someone take out the trash? :mrgreen: ;)
Their 2017 class was huge with tons of talent, a few 4stars that got downgraded after they chose Cincy. #1 class in AAC for 2018, about on par with Wisconsin. Fickell is cycling his talent in and cycling Tubberville's trash out the door.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:23 am
DfromCT wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:42 am I'm not saying we abandon the passing game and run 60 times, pass 10 times. I'm saying we cannot try to get into a shoot out with a team that was 17th in the nation in Total Offense and figures to be better this year. They run plays at about a 12 second interval, our D will be gassed by the start of the second half, and they'll put up HUGE numbers against us in that scenario. I'm sure the coaching staff already knows this, even though you don't.
There offense won't be better especially when they play us with those replacements in their first game. Just b/c we open the offense up doesn't mean we'll score all that quickly it just means we'll score. I hope the staff isn't as scared as you.
Their offense has an experience backup QB stepping into the starting role. Their coaching staff is every bit as good and well respected as ours. They're predicted to be a top 40 team, and a contender in the ACC this year. You analyze by looking at what they lost from last years team; every team loses players every year, that's the nature of the beast. MOST, if not ALL forecasts point to this being the best Wake Forest team in a very long time. We will be 10+ point underdogs at home.

Why would I be scared? I'm not taking the field. I'm just pointing out what I learned in about 45 minutes of researching THIS YEARS Wake Forest team. They're going to be pretty damned good.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I don't think they'll turn out as good as predicted. I doubt they contend in the ACC with that defense. We'll have to agree to disagree.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

SBnation predicts Wake will be the 35th strongest team in the nation for a reason.

Honestly, we had these exact same conversations 2 years ago when we played Wake, which was predicted to be #74 this time that year (and finished #60), and we all saw how that turned out. Wake is much better now than it was then, even with the loss of some starters, but, that being said, is Tulane much better than it was then (i.e. not just better balanced - overall better)?
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Yeah. We should have won that game. If Rounds doesn't trip over himself we win.