Tulane Wins Game 2 against LSU

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
MicMan
Swell

As long as a small but vocal group of Tulane fans insist on displaying their insecurity and inferiority complex where all things LSU are concerned, nothing will change.

Wave755
Tsunami

MicMan wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:33 pm As long as a small but vocal group of Tulane fans insist on displaying their insecurity and inferiority complex where all things LSU are concerned, nothing will change.
Inferiority complex to LSWho? :lol: :P :D
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:13 pm I think most would disagree with your take. This is Tulane v. LSU. It's always a meaningful game. A lot of our disengaged fans will tune in. Then throw in the fact thar it may cost us the series in the future and it's a big deal.
It's baseball. Yes, there's a very passionate group of maybe 2k fans that care. "Most" were at the game. If Tulane football starts 3-0, or even 0-3, or frankly any record three games into the season, will we still be talking about whether or not it was a better decision to put the Tulane LSU baseball game last April on TV or stick it to the LSU fans that had to pay $6.95 to watch if they didn't come to Turchin?

"Most" might be most loyal, die hard Tulane baseball fans. That's a small group of a small fan base. Time to turn the page, take a deep breath, and move on. And I'm sure that same "most" will kick the crap out of this post. That's why they're the die hard Tulane baseball fan base. That doesn't mean they're "most" of the undersized Tulane fan base at large.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Show Me
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:34 pm
winwave wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:13 pm I think most would disagree with your take. This is Tulane v. LSU. It's always a meaningful game. A lot of our disengaged fans will tune in. Then throw in the fact thar it may cost us the series in the future and it's a big deal.
It's baseball. Yes, there's a very passionate group of maybe 2k fans that care. "Most" were at the game. If Tulane football starts 3-0, or even 0-3, or frankly any record three games into the season, will we still be talking about whether or not it was a better decision to put the Tulane LSU baseball game last April on TV or stick it to the LSU fans that had to pay $6.95 to watch if they didn't come to Turchin?

"Most" might be most loyal, die hard Tulane baseball fans. That's a small group of a small fan base. Time to turn the page, take a deep breath, and move on. And I'm sure that same "most" will kick the crap out of this post. That's why they're the die hard Tulane baseball fan base. That doesn't mean they're "most" of the undersized Tulane fan base at large.
Dannen penny wise, dollar foolish and hates baseball. Why didn’t he block Cox from televising our Tulane LSU home volleyball match last week? Would he block Tulane LSU women’s basketball at Devlin? Or the men’s should we ever play again? Of course not.
He made a huge mistake turning down TV to sell a few $6 All Access that went pirated anyway. He’s coming from a small time N Iowa program where he killed baseball. That’s a fact.
Jewett should be furious that happened.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

That 2,000 is the same 2,000 at our football and basketball games. So no it's not just baseball centric fans. It is our fan base. I've made it clear that I understand that in the grand scheme of things college baseball is a minor sport. This is more about the rivalry which means everything to our entire fan base. This was the AD that was supposed to be able to get us back to playing them in the sports that matter. No we won't play them home and away in football anymore but the goal should be to get some semblance of a regular schedule against them . In basketball it could be once a year trading the home and away. By doing this he may have blown all chances of that. It's a big deal and a major fuck up. If he has any sense he apologizes to our fan base and LSU.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Show Me
Tsunami

winwave wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:32 am

That 2,000 is the same 2,000 at our football and basketball games. So no it's not just baseball centric fans. It is our fan base. I've made it clear that I understand that in the grand scheme of things college baseball is a minor sport. This is more about the rivalry which means everything to our entire fan base. This was the AD that was supposed to be able to get us back to playing them in the sports that matter. No we won't play them home and away in football anymore but the goal should be to get some semblance of a regular schedule against them . In basketball it could be once a year trading the home and away. By doing this he may have blown all chances of that. It's a big deal and a major f**k up. If he has any sense he apologizes to our fan base and LSU.
+1000
What irks me the most is we’re starting to play decent again and we beat them but it went mostly unnoticed since no TV. I’m worried about the repercussions this decision could have with the TV media and LSU. Tulane should NEVER turn down TV in any sport period. It’s plain stupid. It’s like we turned down 3 hours of free TV advertising. As bad as Dickson was even he would never do that.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

My biggest concern would be LSU refuses to come to NOLA and play us. That would cost Tulane it’s biggest baseball payday and would really hurt our baseball program. Counting ticket sales, suite sales, parking and concessions we probably gross in the $125,00-$150,000 ballpark for this one game. They’ve done it in basketball and football already. Wouldn’t be surprised if they did it in baseball.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Wave755
Tsunami

I remember many years ago when even Skip Bertman threatened to end the Tulane-LSU baseball rivalry because he said, “there was nothing in it for LSU” and Tulane was simply using LSU’s rabid fan base for the game to finance it’s baseball program.

In fairness to LSU, it now appears to everyone Dannen said no to CST in hope of selling 10,000 pay for views to LSU fans for the game. LSU has now lost 5 of its last 6 baseball games to Tulane. The LSU Daily Reveille refused to even report Wednesday’s game result. LSU is a no class act with a deep feeling of inferiority to Tulane as a university, give LSU an excuse to end the rivalry and they will take it.

And yes, Dannen’s decision to say no to CST was “no class,” to say the least. The Tulane-LSU rivalry should be “celebrated” for the state and broadcast as an event for as many Louisianaians as possible to enjoy. Thanks to Dannen’s incompetence and lack of understanding for Louisiana athletic tradition, the state missed witnessing a great and spirited Louisiana rivalry game.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

You sure that was Bertman? His two daughters went to Tulane and when he was AD he signed the 10 year home and home series with us for football. Sounds more like Joe Dean.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Wave755
Tsunami

Yep, it was Bertman. He became LSU’s Baseball HC in 1984. The statement was made many years ago, probably in the late 80’s or early 90’s?

But I think we agree, when Dannen does stunts like saying no to CST for the LSU game, he is playing with fire.

This year LSU baseball played at ULALA for the first time in many years. LSU lost. I wonder if they will play there again next year? Dannen needs to be careful, LSU hasn’t played us even in M basketball for many years now (not counting last year’s scrimmage “charity game”).
Wave755
Tsunami

And by the way, LSU was swept by So. Carolina this weekend : 11-0; 11-4 and 8-6. So, they are probably blaming us for that too for making them stay up after their bedtime this past Wednesday night. ;)
Dave breslin
Swell

The view,especially from Joe “redneck” Dean was, if I don’t win I’ll take my ball and go home. Beat them and they will leave. It’s their prerogative. Tradition and the old college try is passé. It’s all about money.
Wave755
Tsunami

Dave breslin wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:21 pm The view,especially from Joe “redneck” Dean was, if I don’t win I’ll take my ball and go home. Beat them and they will leave. It’s their prerogative. Tradition and the old college try is passé. It’s all about money.

Thankfully Skip Bertman does still value tradition. When we played them in B.R. last month there were many empty seats @ Alex Box Stadium but LSU still agrees to home & home.

Dannen needs to reciprocate for respecting tradition. But, carpetbaggers like Cowen knew nothing of our traditions and cared not to learn of them. Let’s hope Dannen is different. We need to give Dannen feedback on the CST screwup so nothing like this ever happens again.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

I found this info in my archives from a conversation I had awhile back with Rick Jones:
1997 Zephyr Field opens with great crowds. Rick Jones starts thinking about how Tulane baseball could grow its interest along with its budget. Rick goes to AD Sandy B. and asks if he could move the LSU game to Zephyr if Skip would agree. Her response was as long as it didn’t cost us more. Jones meets up with Rob Couing (Zephyr owner at the time) and on a handshake agrees that Tulane would get ticket sales and the Zephyrs would get parking and concessions. Skip agrees but states that Joe Dean wanted $1,000 to pay for their bus trip for which Tulane did. Before a packed house Jason Sparks hits a big league homer and the Wave wins and brings home over $150K. The Z’s make a ton on parking and concessions and as always it was on TV. Later that summer Rick gets a call from Skip who thanks him for the idea of playing there but is told that Joe Dean says for LSU to go back to Zephyr they have to have $30K. Rick replies, “Skip it’s my home game if you told me that we were playing your home game in New Iberia I wouldn’t ask for more money and he said I know but my AD says we got to have $30K”. So Rick bypasses Sandy and goes straight to Rob Couing who laughs and says no problem just go up a dollar on tickets and the Z’s will go up a quarter on beer and that is how to generate additional funds to pay LSU and not cut into our money. So Tulane did raise the ticket price and the game was on TV of course. The following year Couing sold the team and the new owners from out of town saw the crowds for the 2001 Super Regional and told Tulane that they were going to take parking, concessions and 2500 prime seats from dugout to dugout. So only then did Rick Jones and Rick Dickson go to Doug Thornton and cut the deal the same they had with Couing with the Superdome. That 2002 game drew over 28,000 baseball fans in the Superdome which at that time was the largest crowd in college baseball history. Tulane baseball made over $300K for that one game. After that the Zephyrs came back with their hat in their hand so in ‘03 the Wave goes back and plays LSU three games, (one at Zephyr, one in the Dome and one in BR) While LSU makes $60K Tulane makes over $400K. In 2005 Tulane LSU packs Zephyr for ESPN’s National TV audience and the owner of the Wave cap company asks Rick Jones if Tulane would wear a special cap (the pinwheel) which they did and two weeks later the owner calls Jones up telling him that they can’t keep up with the orders saying TV exposure drives the train. After that TV appearance Jones was told numerous times from recruits who watched the TV broadcast that they loved that team that wore white Pumas (Jake Gautreau’s idea) and it really helped the Wave in recruiting. Tulane left Zephyr in ‘08 and played LSU in the new Turchin only because the of way the new owners treated Tulane after Katrina. But the bottom line was yes we helped LSU financially, but our program made a lot of money and we used the tv exposure to help our program flourish ⚾️
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

The Baby Cakes have new owners now. That was a lot better tailgating atmosphere. It's really become dead in our lot now. Plus they won't let us use the neutral ground. What would be great is a three game weekend series with one game in each teams stadium and then one at The Shrine on Airline . Alternate the home team atThe Shrine. Then no excuses about midweek pitching. Alas we may not be playing them at all anymore.

As to that Sparks Home Run- Wow. Just Wow. Will always remember that special moment.
Show Me
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:25 pm I found this info in my archives from a conversation I had awhile back with Rick Jones:
1997 Zephyr Field opens with great crowds. Rick Jones starts thinking about how Tulane baseball could grow its interest along with its budget. Rick goes to AD Sandy B. and asks if he could move the LSU game to Zephyr if Skip would agree. Her response was as long as it didn’t cost us more. Jones meets up with Rob Couing (Zephyr owner at the time) and on a handshake agrees that Tulane would get ticket sales and the Zephyrs would get parking and concessions. Skip agrees but states that Joe Dean wanted $1,000 to pay for their bus trip for which Tulane did. Before a packed house Jason Sparks hits a big league homer and the Wave wins and brings home over $150K. The Z’s make a ton on parking and concessions and as always it was on TV. Later that summer Rick gets a call from Skip who thanks him for the idea of playing there but is told that Joe Dean says for LSU to go back to Zephyr they have to have $30K. Rick replies, “Skip it’s my home game if you told me that we were playing your home game in New Iberia I wouldn’t ask for more money and he said I know but my AD says we got to have $30K”. So Rick bypasses Sandy and goes straight to Rob Couing who laughs and says no problem just go up a dollar on tickets and the Z’s will go up a quarter on beer and that is how to generate additional funds to pay LSU and not cut into our money. So Tulane did raise the ticket price and the game was on TV of course. The following year Couing sold the team and the new owners from out of town saw the crowds for the 2001 Super Regional and told Tulane that they were going to take parking, concessions and 2500 prime seats from dugout to dugout. So only then did Rick Jones and Rick Dickson go to Doug Thornton and cut the deal the same they had with Couing with the Superdome. That 2002 game drew over 28,000 baseball fans in the Superdome which at that time was the largest crowd in college baseball history. Tulane baseball made over $300K for that one game. After that the Zephyrs came back with their hat in their hand so in ‘03 the Wave goes back and plays LSU three games, (one at Zephyr, one in the Dome and one in BR) While LSU makes $60K Tulane makes over $400K. In 2005 Tulane LSU packs Zephyr for ESPN’s National TV audience and the owner of the Wave cap company asks Rick Jones if Tulane would wear a special cap (the pinwheel) which they did and two weeks later the owner calls Jones up telling him that they can’t keep up with the orders saying TV exposure drives the train. After that TV appearance Jones was told numerous times from recruits who watched the TV broadcast that they loved that team that wore white Pumas (Jake Gautreau’s idea) and it really helped the Wave in recruiting. Tulane left Zephyr in ‘08 and played LSU in the new Turchin only because the of way the new owners treated Tulane after Katrina. But the bottom line was yes we helped LSU financially, but our program made a lot of money and we used the tv exposure to help our program flourish ⚾️
Amazing the amount of money this series has generated in the past for Tulane. But what’s really worrisome is the small thinking AD we have is more interested in making a few extra $6.95 subscriptions at the risk of jeopardizing the biggest money maker Tulane baseball currently has.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Tim, I would email those notes to Dannen. He probably has no idea that the Baseball series with LSU has generated so much revenue in the past, so he's not thinking about ways to maximize the value of those games for both teams. If both teams do well with innovative thinking such as Rick Jones showed, it's better for the rivalry and for both programs. It's certainly something that would keep the series alive.

Maybe Dannen could go back to LSU, admit the faux pas, and have a plan that helps everyone for a three game series (as suggested above) with one game on each campus and one at Zephyr Field (or the Dome). Do it on a pre-conference weekend.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:57 am Tim, I would email those notes to Dannen. He probably has no idea that the Baseball series with LSU has generated so much revenue in the past, so he's not thinking about ways to maximize the value of those games for both teams. If both teams do well with innovative thinking such as Rick Jones showed, it's better for the rivalry and for both programs. It's certainly something that would keep the series alive.

Maybe Dannen could go back to LSU, admit the faux pas, and have a plan that helps everyone for a three game series (as suggested above) with one game on each campus and one at Zephyr Field (or the Dome). Do it on a pre-conference weekend.
The ‘01 Super Regional (TU vs LSU) generated $503K for the NCAA. That’s still the most in NCAA history and the Sunday game is still the highest rated TV college baseball game on record. On top of that there were 3K people watching in the parking lot because the fire marshal had to finally stop the walk up crowds. Bottom line TV didn’t hurt what has to be rated as one of the top sporting events in Louisiana history.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

After the latest renovation to the Dome baseball cannot be played there any longer.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:16 pm After the latest renovation to the Dome baseball cannot be played there any longer.
aaahhhh...The good ole days of the Busch Challenge.... ole Tom Benson made sure major league baseball would not be a competitor for the entertainment dollar, after he got his way the with renovations to the Dome....I wonder if the State of Louisiana was in his will so that 30 million he "borrowed" so he could buy the Saints would be repaid
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:16 pm After the latest renovation to the Dome baseball cannot be played there any longer.
Yes. :cry:
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

This would be good. Rumor of Alleva out.

https://thehayride.com/2018/04/going-ad ... athletics/
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:36 am This would be good. Rumor of Alleva out.

I don't know how much getting Alleva out would help Tulane, but if it opened the door for Tulane playing LSU in football on an annual basis, I'd be happy. It's interesting to note that there's rumors of LSU football season ticket sales declining by as much as 15-20%. That's a whole lot of fans looking for something to do on Saturdays. Most aren't going to consider a Tulane game, but the longer LSU struggles, the better chance we have of re-building our fan base.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Interesting to see that our Tulane Scott Ballard is a member of their Board of SUPERVISORS.
Tulane Class of 1981
IM42lane
Swell

DfromCT wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:51 am
tpstulane wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:36 am This would be good. Rumor of Alleva out.

I don't know how much getting Alleva out would help Tulane, but if it opened the door for Tulane playing LSU in football on an annual basis, I'd be happy. It's interesting to note that there's rumors of LSU football season ticket sales declining by as much as 15-20%. That's a whole lot of fans looking for something to do on Saturdays. Most aren't going to consider a Tulane game, but the longer LSU struggles, the better chance we have of re-building our fan base.
Most of the LSU people that I know HATE Joe Alleva as much as we hated Rick Dickson. An admin shake-up in Red Stick would not surprise me at all.
Regards,
"Pete" Madere