Tulane Athletics

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

anEngineer wrote:At one point during this season, the AAC had 4 teams in the top 25. Those teams had victories over P5 schools in order to get there. Eventually, those teams all had to play each other and somebody had to lose. Not being a P5 school gets you knocked down a lot farther when you lose to another non-P5 school, but there are still 3 top 25 AAC's now. The point is that if the AAC continues to grow, show strength from top to bottom and hold it's own against P5, the AAC schools will all be absorbed by P5 or it will become a P6. Remember, it was essentially a P6 when the Big East had football. Tulane just needs steady growth toward competitiveness in the AAC and the conference stuff will work itself out. TV dollars follow winners.
Correct. Good post.

jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

winwave wrote:
GreenLantern wrote:
winwave wrote:Let me say this about his 'across the street" comment. Many there that day cheered loudly when he said that. Some of those people post here. They are a large part of the problem.
I've often wondered about the 'across the street' challenge and what the context was for the quote. Was he responding to people that were being critical of his decision-making or was he telling those who didn't like Tulane's W-L record to go elsewhere?
Lantern I was so pissed off sitting there listening to that lying a**hole that I don't recall at exactly what point he uttered it. It just came across as "hey we are doing good by our teams and if you don't believe it go across the street".
The context doesn't even matter. It's just completely inappropriate in any context, and symbolic of the diseased state of affairs where Cowen/Dickson felt entitled to do with the program(s) what they wished, and we were welcome to go across the street if we felt otherwise.

Troy Dannen has already said, explicitly, "we need everyone to accomplish what we want to accomplish", which is the exact opposite. You will never hear Dannen utter "if you don't like it you can walk across the street" or anything like it.

If Rick Dickson had integrity, he would forgo the last 6 months of paychecks and ask that the few hundred thousand dollars be redirected towards the assistant coaching salary pool.
tufinal4
High Tide

There is a ton to digest from the past 2 weeks. It is mind bending. This AD and president is exactly what's been needed at Tulane since the days under President Sheldon Hackney and our ADs in the 1970s. We were committed then to winning in the exact same way that we're hearing now. As a 1982 graduate who watched 3 winning seasons, 3 wins over LSU in 4 years, and 2 bowl games vs. Penn St (Liberty) and Arkansas (Hall of Fame / Outback) while in school, I am of the generation that has steadfastly refused to believe we can't do it, because we actually lived through it and saw it happen in modern times.

I believe the new academic majors and financial commitment to first rate football operations are legitimate. I think donors will be asked to contribute to new football facilities before much more time passes, as an early phase part of the pending $1 billion new university capital campaign Tulane is about to make public. I think that our new AD, and his top right hand person Barbara Burke, have that material in hand to show to candidates in NY. It doesn't take a year plus to build out new locker rooms, meeting rooms and weight / training facilities.

I believe Troy Dannen will get a top quality coach. He's had nothing but quality coaches his entire career and knows what to look for. He's pretty clearly said he would prefer a candidate with substantive head coaching experience with an overall solid plan for a successful program, so that's what he's going to do unless some top flight assistant knocks his socks off. This means that successful head coach candidates like Fritz, Carey, and Satterfield have a leg up. I'm ok with this because I now trust what's going on, for the first time in a long, long time.

What Scott Cowen did to athletics during his tenure should disgust all of us. I've never trusted him since the review, his actions are all you have to look to:
-He made himself the first sitting president in Tulane history to have a seat on the board of administrators
-He starved the athletics budget after the review, knew what effect it would have and couldn't care less
-He openly referred to athletics as a "recreational pursuit", and stood at the podium at the Tulane Business Forum and declared that the multi billion dollar business that is college athletics was "unsustainable"
-He forced an academic focused Tulane Model on the athletic department

Rick Dickson's only crime was eventually conceding to all of this and allowing himself to be worn down. When he arrived, he declared we'd only take 1-1 deals from all opponents. He made this happen during that period. He led the mother of all battles to save major college athletics in 2003 and won it, he felt absolutely betrayed and stabbed by Cowen over that. He got a 10 year, home & home scheduled with LSU in 2006.

Then, that all began to change. People don't change all by themself that much. Cowen wore him down. Dickson had a domineering boss who micro managed all departments at Tulane, including his. I blame Cowen 95% and Dickson 5% for what happened over the last 12 years. This fish truly rotted at the head.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

tufinal4 wrote:There is a ton to digest from the past 2 weeks. It is mind bending. This AD and president is exactly what's been needed at Tulane since the days under President Sheldon Hackney and our ADs in the 1970s. We were committed then to winning in the exact same way that we're hearing now. As a 1982 graduate who watched 3 winning seasons, 3 wins over LSU in 4 years, and 2 bowl games vs. Penn St (Liberty) and Arkansas (Hall of Fame / Outback) while in school, I am of the generation that has steadfastly refused to believe we can't do it, because we actually lived through it and saw it happen in modern times.

I believe the new academic majors and financial commitment to first rate football operations are legitimate. I think donors will be asked to contribute to new football facilities before much more time passes, as an early phase part of the pending $1 billion new university capital campaign Tulane is about to make public. I think that our new AD, and his top right hand person Barbara Burke, have that material in hand to show to candidates in NY. It doesn't take a year plus to build out new locker rooms, meeting rooms and weight / training facilities.

I believe Troy Dannen will get a top quality coach. He's had nothing but quality coaches his entire career and knows what to look for. He's pretty clearly said he would prefer a candidate with substantive head coaching experience with an overall solid plan for a successful program, so that's what he's going to do unless some top flight assistant knocks his socks off. This means that successful head coach candidates like Fritz, Carey, and Satterfield have a leg up. I'm ok with this because I now trust what's going on, for the first time in a long, long time.

What Scott Cowen did to athletics during his tenure should disgust all of us. I've never trusted him since the review, his actions are all you have to look to:
-He made himself the first sitting president in Tulane history to have a seat on the board of administrators
-He starved the athletics budget after the review, knew what effect it would have and couldn't care less
-He openly referred to athletics as a "recreational pursuit", and stood at the podium at the Tulane Business Forum and declared that the multi billion dollar business that is college athletics was "unsustainable"

Rick Dickson's only crime was eventually conceding to all of this and allowing himself to be worn down. When he arrived, he declared we'd only take 1-1 deals from all opponents. He made this happen during that period. He led the mother of all battles to save major college athletics in 2003 and won it, he felt absolutely betrayed and stabbed by Cowen over that. He got a 10 year, home & home scheduled with LSU in 2006.

Then, that all began to change. People don't change all by themself that much. Cowen wore him down. Dickson had a domineering boss who micro managed all departments at Tulane, including his. I blame Cowen 95% and Dickson 5% for what happened over the last 12 years. This fish truly rotted at the head.
Great post. I agree wholeheartedly with most all of your post.

1) The "internal push to hire Burke" vs "Dannen" decision at the Board level was an earthquake. Because it's clear that new blood and a fresh approach won out over a clear plan for the Cowen Doctrine to continue in earnest.

2) Dannen looks like a home run. I think you nailed it when you said: "I'm ok with this because I now trust what's going on, for the first time in a long, long time." Agree 1000%.

3) Cowen is the worst. Top to bottom. A narcissist of the highest order and worse, an idiot, a lethal combination.

4) You are right that Dickson had no chance with Cowen and that the fault is mostly his. But I will not absolve Dickson from falling into line and playing along. Sorry, but many people quit when they know they are being set up to fail or don't believe that the direction being given is the right one. Dickson wasn't doing charity work, he has been taking a large paycheck for a long time in return for playing along with the Cowen Circus. It's just gross. And that judgment is made before mentioning the lack of effort or results from any part of his department.
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

jonathanjoseph wrote:
tufinal4 wrote:There is a ton to digest from the past 2 weeks. It is mind bending. This AD and president is exactly what's been needed at Tulane since the days under President Sheldon Hackney and our ADs in the 1970s. We were committed then to winning in the exact same way that we're hearing now. As a 1982 graduate who watched 3 winning seasons, 3 wins over LSU in 4 years, and 2 bowl games vs. Penn St (Liberty) and Arkansas (Hall of Fame / Outback) while in school, I am of the generation that has steadfastly refused to believe we can't do it, because we actually lived through it and saw it happen in modern times.

1) The "internal push to hire Burke" vs "Dannen" decision at the Board level was an earthquake. Because it's clear that new blood and a fresh approach won out over a clear plan for the Cowen Doctrine to continue in earnest.

2) Dannen looks like a home run. I think you nailed it when you said: "I'm ok with this because I now trust what's going on, for the first time in a long, long time." Agree 1000%.

3) Cowen is the worst. Top to bottom. A narcissist of the highest order and worse, an idiot, a lethal combination.

4) You are right that Dickson had no chance with Cowen and that the fault is mostly his. But I will not absolve Dickson from falling into line and playing along. Sorry, but many people quit when they know they are being set up to fail or don't believe that the direction being given is the right one. Dickson wasn't doing charity work, he has been taking a large paycheck for a long time in return for playing along with the Cowen Circus. It's just gross. And that judgment is made before mentioning the lack of effort or results from any part of his department.
The only good thing I can say about Cowen was that he did raise the academics at the school and the apex being the 2010/11 undergrad cycle. Besides that.... not that much.... He also had great views on alcohol from my memory.... :lol:
winwave
Top of the WAVE

jonathanjoseph wrote:

Cowen was certainly a good part of the problem. RD was too. He came here w/the reputation of being lazy and a liar. He cemented that w/his well known penchant for preferring the tennis court to the office during working hours. If he was not so disengaged there never would have been a review or at the least he would have known it was going on. He cemented his rep as a liar when he claimed he did a poll and Tulane fans wanted the football games at 1:00. He also had a poor rep as to hiring coaches and we know how that went here. Washington State fans were glad to be rid of him and we know why.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
JDTulane
Riptide

Cowen gave us convocation and graduation. I know they come at an expense but well worth it IMHO. A school as old and storied as Tulane, IN NEW ORLEANS, deserves good parties to bring in and send out the fine accomplished.

But man did he fuck up athletics.
galvezwave
Swell

Will Tulane ever be good in any sport ever again? Someone give me something. Lie to me. It's a legitimate question
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

galvezwave wrote:Will Tulane ever be good in any sport ever again? Someone give me something. Lie to me. It's a legitimate question
I’d take a winning season or just average in anything at this point. I was thinking just one win at Oxford. Couldn’t get it. :oops:
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Jaxwave
Swell

galvezwave wrote:Will Tulane ever be good in any sport ever again? Someone give me something. Lie to me. It's a legitimate question
Ok I’ll say yes but only as it applies to G5. We will never be competitive against P5 teams on a consistent basis. The system is rigged in their favor and the caliber of athlete P5 teams recruit in all major sports is significantly better than G5 recruits. We can compete occasionally to win the conference but to be honest with you even that will be an uphill battle. The shame of it is that Tulane’s fan base is made up of older generations who remember some better days against better competition and they just aren’t excited seeing matchups against AAC teams. I don’t anticipate Tulane ever filling Yulman consistently.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Jaxwave wrote:
Ok I’ll say yes but only as it applies to G5. We will never be competitive against P5 teams on a consistent basis. The system is rigged in their favor and the caliber of athlete P5 teams recruit in all major sports is significantly better than G5 recruits. We can compete occasionally to win the conference but to be honest with you even that will be an uphill battle. The shame of it is that Tulane’s fan base is made up of older generations who remember some better days against better competition and they just aren’t excited seeing matchups against AAC teams. I don’t anticipate Tulane ever filling Yulman consistently.
Excellent point!
Tulane Class of 1981
galvezwave
Swell

im done with delusions. Just want a serviceable AAC athletic department at this point and wondering if that's even possible. I don't ever remember being so non competitive across the board. Dannon , help please. Jax, I'd be estatic to be a good G5.
Jaxwave
Swell

galvezwave wrote:im done with delusions. Just want a serviceable AAC athletic department at this point and wondering if that's even possible. I don't ever remember being so non competitive across the board. Dannon , help please. Jax, I'd be estatic to be a good G5.
Galvez, how old are you? I am 65 and remember some real excitement about Tulane football. Unless we win the AAC, go undefeated and make a BCS bowl, I have a hard time staying interested enough to make any effort other than the internet to support Tulane athletics.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Galvez I wish I had something for you. Most of us are happy with the new people in place in administrative and coaching roles. It is looking like the hole that was dug in the 70 years before their arrival is too much to overcome. Even thought the current cast means well I don't know if they really get what it takes to win consistently against quality opposition. Hopefully they shock us.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
galvezwave
Swell

Jaxwave wrote:
galvezwave wrote:im done with delusions. Just want a serviceable AAC athletic department at this point and wondering if that's even possible. I don't ever remember being so non competitive across the board. Dannon , help please. Jax, I'd be estatic to be a good G5.
Galvez, how old are you? I am 65 and remember some real excitement about Tulane football. Unless we win the AAC, go undefeated and make a BCS bowl, I have a hard time staying interested enough to make any effort other than the internet to support Tulane athletics.
I'm 47. I was in attendance for the last 3 wins over lsu in football. But I'm different than most of the old schoolers. I would be excited and spend money to see a football team compete in the AAC. I have no issue at all with our conference mates. Honestly we don't deserve them and are quite lucky they let us in.
Jaxwave
Swell

galvezwave wrote:
Jaxwave wrote:
I'm 47. I was in attendance for the last 3 wins over lsu in football. But I'm different than most of the old schoolers. I would be excited and spend money to see a football team compete in the AAC. I have no issue at all with our conference mates. Honestly we don't deserve them and are quite lucky they let us in.
You are absolutely correct. We are more a CUSA level athletic program than an AAC.
galvezwave
Swell

winwave wrote:
Galvez I wish I had something for you. Most of us are happy with the new people in place in administrative and coaching roles. It is looking like the hole that was dug in the 70 years before their arrival is too much to overcome. Even thought the current cast means well I don't know if they really get what it takes to win consistently against quality opposition. Hopefully they shock us.

I'm also happy with our current coaches . I don't know that we could do better. I also don't know if they're up to the task. I think Fritz has the best chance.
Show Me
Tsunami

galvezwave wrote:
winwave wrote:

I'm also happy with our current coaches . I don't know that we could do better. I also don't know if they're up to the task. I think Fritz has the best chance.
Recruiting is the lifeblood of college sports. Fritz has recruited well. That program is on the verge of turning. Dunleavy loses his two best players and recruiting hasn’t been good enough to move the needle. Jewett signed a big class but it wasn’t highly rated. Maybe they surprise too early to tell. Let’s wait and see.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Show Me wrote:
galvezwave wrote:
winwave wrote:

Recruiting is the lifeblood of college sports. Fritz has recruited well. That program is on the verge of turning. Dunleavy loses his two best players and recruiting hasn’t been good enough to move the needle. Jewett signed a big class but it wasn’t highly rated. Maybe they surprise too early to tell. Let’s wait and see.
I am going to turn 56 in March. I've followed the Green Wave since 1980, arriving on campus in 1981. I honestly didn't think much of Tulane Athletics when I got to New Orleans. But it became part of who I am. I bleed Olive Green and Sky Blue.

I think all three sports (Football, mens Basketball and Baseball) are going to turn it on in the next 2-5 years. I believe in Fritz, Dunleavy and Jewitt. Maybe Lucy comes and pulls the ball away (again) and I'm being the same naive Tulane fan that I've always been, but I truly think we have the right coaches in place in the sports that matter.

I also support Lisa Stockton, but think she has to recruit with one goal in mind: We're going to be the team to give UConn it's first AAC loss. As I discussed with her on 9/4/2014 (Yulman day) the teams in the Big East that dealt with UConn had the tremendous opportunity to raise themselves to the UConn Womens Basketball level. Rutgers was first, then Notre Dame and later Duke. Become competitive with UConn, and later have a legitimate chance to beat them every now and then, and you'll be a NCAA tournament team every year, with a shot at the final 4. Lisa needs to take that approach, thus far she hasn't.

But there's nothing holding Tulane Athletics back more than Tulane Administration. Everyone needs to be committed to winning and having a beautiful "front porch" as much as the houses in the Garden District. Tulane Athletics should contribute to the bottom line and draw better academic ratings over the longer term. This is a HUGE reason why Cowen was a failure. Complete and utter failure (and lets not forget the covert $15-20 million deficit he rang up his last few years).
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
IM42lane
Swell

Jaxwave wrote:
galvezwave wrote:
Jaxwave wrote:
You are absolutely correct. We are more a CUSA level athletic program than an AAC.
Just lurking on this point for now. I will be 66 in March, 2018. Your points are well-taken. ROLL GREEN WAVE !!!!
Regards,
"Pete" Madere
HoustonWave
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote:
Show Me wrote:
galvezwave wrote:
winwave wrote:

I am going to turn 56 in March. I've followed the Green Wave since 1980, arriving on campus in 1981. I honestly didn't think much of Tulane Athletics when I got to New Orleans. But it became part of who I am. I bleed Olive Green and Sky Blue.

I think all three sports (Football, mens Basketball and Baseball) are going to turn it on in the next 2-5 years. I believe in Fritz, Dunleavy and Jewitt. Maybe Lucy comes and pulls the ball away (again) and I'm being the same naive Tulane fan that I've always been, but I truly think we have the right coaches in place in the sports that matter.

I also support Lisa Stockton, but think she has to recruit with one goal in mind: We're going to be the team to give UConn it's first AAC loss. As I discussed with her on 9/4/2014 (Yulman day) the teams in the Big East that dealt with UConn had the tremendous opportunity to raise themselves to the UConn Womens Basketball level. Rutgers was first, then Notre Dame and later Duke. Become competitive with UConn, and later have a legitimate chance to beat them every now and then, and you'll be a NCAA tournament team every year, with a shot at the final 4. Lisa needs to take that approach, thus far she hasn't.

But there's nothing holding Tulane Athletics back more than Tulane Administration. Everyone needs to be committed to winning and having a beautiful "front porch" as much as the houses in the Garden District. Tulane Athletics should contribute to the bottom line and draw better academic ratings over the longer term. This is a HUGE reason why Cowen was a failure. Complete and utter failure (and lets not forget the covert $15-20 million deficit he rang up his last few years).
Absolute bullseye, D.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

to sum up all of the above, I will quote a NOLA Sportcaster ...'Tulane's biggest issue is....TULANE" !
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
galvezwave
Swell

Show Me wrote:
galvezwave wrote:
winwave wrote:

I was surfing last night and stopped on the Memphis /Uconn game. Watching this game is actually what prompted my original post. Tulane cannot physically match up with these 2 middle of the road AAC teams. Recruiting. Add a ray-shard Allen to our current team and it would change everything. 1 guy.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

galvezwave wrote: I was surfing last night and stopped on the Memphis /Uconn game. Watching this game is actually what prompted my original post. Tulane cannot physically match up with these 2 middle of the road AAC teams. Recruiting. Add a ray-shard Allen to our current team and it would change everything. 1 guy.
Basketball is the easiest sport to fix. Like you said sometimes only one player can do it. LSU may be cheating but in Wade’s first year he has landed the #3 class in the country. Should they come out clean they will turn it around right away with that class. They currently have two 5 star’s and two 4 star kids coming in on his 4 available scholarships. That’s incredible if it holds up. Over the years we’ve seemed to recruit too many projects and try to develop them. That takes too long if ever to work out.
https://247sports.com/college/lsu/Seaso ... ll/Commits
Tulane Class of 1981
MicMan
Swell

golfnut69 wrote:to sum up all of the above, I will quote a NOLA Sportcaster ...'Tulane's biggest issue is....TULANE" !

This x 1000.