Tulane Athletics

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote:I agree with MBA: It's back to the same old "capacity" versus seating discussion. I'll let GreenWave think he's won; I'm done with it knowing that the Advocate was told to deliver 25K papers to have one on every seat and plenty of surplus on 9/6/14. Who cares what capacity is? If they can't put butts in the seats, it's all Charlie Brown teacher talk anyway.

More importantly, the big takeaway I got from watching the Troy Dannen press conference was that he wants to take his new Athletics Department to the same place most of us want to go. He vetted the AD Selection Committee and President Fitts, and allegedly got the answer he was looking for: that they all want to win. I'm excited to have someone that cares about winning running the Athletics Dept. It will be interesting to see if the BOA and President give the support needed. It will also be interesting to see how greater New Orleans responds if/when Tulane has seriously competitive teams in the big three sports.

I'm also very concerned about lack of corporate sponsorship, and think getting some of the bigger local corporations on board (not the local ambulance company, but Oil/Gas and Oilfield Services companies, along with the other largest and most profitable entities operating in New Orleans) is going to be a huge factor in becoming a serious Big 12 or ACC candidate. Selling ad space that announces first downs by saying "Hilliard gains 12, good for another XYZ Sponsor Tulane First Down" isn't going to get us there, and may even do more damage. It brands us as small time.
The students would picket if we got on board with major oil as a big time sponsor.

GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

mbawavefan12 wrote:
GreenPuddleSplash wrote:Just curious as to why we're talking about stadium seating when we have trouble filling it in the first place? I know I am new to these boards, so forgive me for the confusion.

I think Mr. Dannen was a good hire. Not great, but good enough to hopefully right the ship. He brings a lot of energy and is asking the right questions. It really does seem like he understands that football and business are related. It seems like he isn't blind or tone deaf to the idea that if he wants the athletic department to generate revenue, then there must be results on the field. I'm pretty sure he is aware that many of us who have purchased season's tickets for the last 2 years, are on the fence on whether to renew for this upcoming season or not. Having 2 seasons of un-watchable football is enough and I think Mr. Dannen gets it (or at least I hope he does).

However, just like the others, I will wait to see who they hire before making a decision on whether to renew for year 3 at Yulman.
You don;t build for today, you build for where you want to go. Not saying we should have a 45k stadium, but instead 30-35k seats with the foundation in place to expand, competitive locker rooms, offices, meeting rooms and training facilities. Not 24k seats that will cost a fortune to expand in the current footprint/NIMBY agreement along with next to nothing in support assets. This effect coaching hires and recruiting, not to mention bottom line if we ever righted the ship. In the end it is what it is and we need to move forward and force expansion.
I agree with you wholeheartedly. You have to build the foundation before you can expand upon it. We already have the bare basics: new stadium and practice facilities, so we can only go up from here. As for our stadium capacity, in the two seasons of going to games, the only game I can remember that was close to "sell out" capacity was opening day and inaugural game for Yulman. Since then, I would say homecoming was the closest we got to filling the stadium and even then, it was maybe half full (being generous). I am positive that once Tulane football starts winning, the rest will take care of itself, especially attendance, however, we got to figure out how to win games and be competitive in our conference that is already producing mini powerhouses like Houston, Memphis, and Temple. We just need our Fuentes like coach to bring us back and I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
OUG
Riptide

mbawavefan12 wrote:
DfromCT wrote:I agree with MBA: It's back to the same old "capacity" versus seating discussion. I'll let GreenWave think he's won; I'm done with it knowing that the Advocate was told to deliver 25K papers to have one on every seat and plenty of surplus on 9/6/14. Who cares what capacity is? If they can't put butts in the seats, it's all Charlie Brown teacher talk anyway.

More importantly, the big takeaway I got from watching the Troy Dannen press conference was that he wants to take his new Athletics Department to the same place most of us want to go. He vetted the AD Selection Committee and President Fitts, and allegedly got the answer he was looking for: that they all want to win. I'm excited to have someone that cares about winning running the Athletics Dept. It will be interesting to see if the BOA and President give the support needed. It will also be interesting to see how greater New Orleans responds if/when Tulane has seriously competitive teams in the big three sports.

I'm also very concerned about lack of corporate sponsorship, and think getting some of the bigger local corporations on board (not the local ambulance company, but Oil/Gas and Oilfield Services companies, along with the other largest and most profitable entities operating in New Orleans) is going to be a huge factor in becoming a serious Big 12 or ACC candidate. Selling ad space that announces first downs by saying "Hilliard gains 12, good for another XYZ Sponsor Tulane First Down" isn't going to get us there, and may even do more damage. It brands us as small time.
The students would picket if we got on board with major oil as a big time sponsor.
You can't get Tulane students to care enough about anything to picket it in enough numbers to matter. Hell, they don't even care enough about football to go to the games. And the types that would hate the oil and gas connection enough to whine about it certainly don't go to games.
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

OUG wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:

You can't get Tulane students to care enough about anything to picket it in enough numbers to matter. Hell, they don't even care enough about football to go to the games. And the types that would hate the oil and gas connection enough to whine about it certainly don't go to games.
I mean as long as it isn't BP sponsoring TAF then I think the students would be ok with it... But I think you're absolutely right, tulane students don't really care or will care about football until it's relevant again.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

GreenPuddleSplash wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
GreenPuddleSplash wrote:Just curious as to why we're talking about stadium seating when we have trouble filling it in the first place? I know I am new to these boards, so forgive me for the confusion.

I think Mr. Dannen was a good hire. Not great, but good enough to hopefully right the ship. He brings a lot of energy and is asking the right questions. It really does seem like he understands that football and business are related. It seems like he isn't blind or tone deaf to the idea that if he wants the athletic department to generate revenue, then there must be results on the field. I'm pretty sure he is aware that many of us who have purchased season's tickets for the last 2 years, are on the fence on whether to renew for this upcoming season or not. Having 2 seasons of un-watchable football is enough and I think Mr. Dannen gets it (or at least I hope he does).

However, just like the others, I will wait to see who they hire before making a decision on whether to renew for year 3 at Yulman.
You don;t build for today, you build for where you want to go. Not saying we should have a 45k stadium, but instead 30-35k seats with the foundation in place to expand, competitive locker rooms, offices, meeting rooms and training facilities. Not 24k seats that will cost a fortune to expand in the current footprint/NIMBY agreement along with next to nothing in support assets. This effect coaching hires and recruiting, not to mention bottom line if we ever righted the ship. In the end it is what it is and we need to move forward and force expansion.
I agree with you wholeheartedly. You have to build the foundation before you can expand upon it. We already have the bare basics: new stadium and practice facilities, so we can only go up from here. As for our stadium capacity, in the two seasons of going to games, the only game I can remember that was close to "sell out" capacity was opening day and inaugural game for Yulman. Since then, I would say homecoming was the closest we got to filling the stadium and even then, it was maybe half full (being generous). I am positive that once Tulane football starts winning, the rest will take care of itself, especially attendance, however, we got to figure out how to win games and be competitive in our conference that is already producing mini powerhouses like Houston, Memphis, and Temple. We just need our Fuentes like coach to bring us back and I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
If we had a season like Houston the place would be busting at the seems and we would have lost tons of money. And look at Houston, they had horrendous attendance and built a 40k stadium with all teh bells and whistles cause they are serious about getting in the B12. They didn't even sell out the stadium for the championship game but they know that you build for the future and to make sure you can attract the best coaches/players. No one shows up to Tu cause we have sucked for two years.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

That won't happen. If we are able to sell sponsorships for 1st downs that necessarily means there is excess demand for TU Football ad inventory. If we are able to sell such sponsorships, it's because Dannen and Coach TBD are killing it.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

mbawavefan12 wrote:

Interesting point. But yes expect Dannen to begin a major outreach to local corporate interests, and it just so happens that much of it is related to oil & gas. Also, students may have cried wolf with the protesting with the Yoga class at the Canadian university.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

OUG wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:

http://www.nola.com/education/index.ssf ... fuels.html
ajcalhoun
Swell

mbawavefan12 wrote: No one shows up to Tu cause we have sucked for two years.
Two? We've had twelve winning seasons in the last sixty-five and in six of those we were one game over .500.
God Bless Everyone!
JTLiuzza
Swell

Green Wave wrote:
JTLiuzza wrote:
Green Wave wrote:
JTLiuzza wrote:
Green Wave wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
Green Wave wrote:
wavemania wrote:I am still not sold. I think there were better qualified candidates. Tulane took the route of the guy who knows how to BS the most. He has never hired a coach, he inherited most, if not all, of the winning coaches. That is like giving RD credit for keeping Lisa. I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, but I won't decide to renew season tickets until I see who his hire is. Needs to be a big tim slam dunk for me, otherwise I am done
I think a major part of the job is retaining coaches. It is by far not the only thing but, it is an integral part to success.
Look at this fool right here trying to give credit to Rick Dickson as if "retaining" Stockton is somehow a win for him.

Can't you leave the program now that your "special" friend Rick is gone?
Love and kisses Troll.

So, you don't thing retaining good coaches is a good think or, are you just trolling my posts?
I don't believe there's a person you could ask, except maybe the fire marshall, who would not thing that retaining good coaches is a good think. What's that smiley you always use? :mrgreen:
I don't think you can think JT. You and the guys(JW&JJ) are so bent from PTSD due to Tulane athletics there is no way you can carry on an objective conversation about Tulane. This is the only board in the country that has the arrogance to think they know more than the official in charge of setting capacity for stadiums. The ridiculous RD comments I just love. Take a straightforward answer and add a little paranoia and it comes out garbage talk.

JJ Cowen is no longer the President of Tulane. RD is no longer the AD. Don't you think it is time to move on from this?
There is no way on earth that I could ever rebut your rock solid presentation. You have me in a checkmate. I must rethink it all. I can't believe that I actually thought for a moment that you were simply an anonymous douche bag.
Cop out! :mrgreen:
Isn't a cop out essentially a chickensh!t? That slur really stings coming from someone who lacks the nuggets to step from behind the curtain of internet anonymity.
The second commandment has not been abrogated.
JTLiuzza
Swell

mbawavefan12 wrote:

How would they get to the protest, on their bicycles? ;) To me what the students picket is irrelevant.
JTLiuzza
Swell

ajcalhoun wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
OUG wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
JDTulane wrote:GW had credibility?
Don't you go to his forum and play by his "rules"? You give him more than credibility.
GW is not JtS.

Unless you have evidence of that, which you should share.

Otherwise, these accusations get really lame.
He's not? Says who? This is a social media forum, not a court of law.

Let's assume he's not JTS for a second, he's still one of the Dickson's lackeys sent out to whitewash the record and confuse fans. On the off chance it's not JTS, it's still someone who deserves to be treated with a lack of respect. That being said, we know who it is.
Hitchens's razor: The burden of proof or onus in a debate lies with the claim-maker, and if he or she does not meet it, the opponent does not need to argue against the unfounded claim. "What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence."
I make the claim that I love my wife. I cannot provide scientific proof. Hitchens was an ass.
Green Wave
Swell

JTLiuzza wrote:
ajcalhoun wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
OUG wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
JDTulane wrote:GW had credibility?
Don't you go to his forum and play by his "rules"? You give him more than credibility.
GW is not JtS.

Unless you have evidence of that, which you should share.

Otherwise, these accusations get really lame.
He's not? Says who? This is a social media forum, not a court of law.

Let's assume he's not JTS for a second, he's still one of the Dickson's lackeys sent out to whitewash the record and confuse fans. On the off chance it's not JTS, it's still someone who deserves to be treated with a lack of respect. That being said, we know who it is.
Hitchens's razor: The burden of proof or onus in a debate lies with the claim-maker, and if he or she does not meet it, the opponent does not need to argue against the unfounded claim. "What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence."
I make the claim that I love my wife. I cannot provide scientific proof. Hitchens was an ass.
I love people seeking to defame other people here with no proof. It is hilarious. They will go to great depths to reason that it is ok to do so if it fits with their agenda.

JJ is not married to your wife JT. You are. If JJ said you don't love your wife, why am I going to believe him?

You have no credibility when you seek to justify why you don't have to have any proof to defame someone.
ROLL WAVE!
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

The way I see it you are either a supporter of the Cowen/Dickson regime and all their workings, which the vast majority of Tulane alumni are (mostly due to apathy) or you are a supporter of radical change. Based upon a single press conference, Troy Dannen is an agent for the change that most of us that post here pray for. If you are still clinging to the "Tulane Model" (for athletic failure) and defending Cowen and Dickson, you are an agent working against the change that must take place in order for Tulane Athletics to survive.

Anyone that thinks Rick Dickson was a positive influence on Tulane Athletics is invited to take a walk across the street.

That "game is over." :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
JDTulane
Riptide

I'm hopeful all of us "across the streeters" get to rejoin the rank n file after this head coach announcement. I hope you all plan to do the same!!
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

JDT, I would not include you in that group of apathetic alumni. I will, however, include my three closest friends from Tulane (and housemates on Pine St. for 3 years) all of whom are HUGE sports fans. They're more typical of the Tulane alumni than those of us that post here. They just don't care, even though they went to every game as students. A large percentage of the students didn't even bother to go when I was an undergrad.

We were all invited by Rick Dickson to take the walk across the street if we didn't like the way he was doing things. That, and the "we don't measure success by wins and losses" are two of the most absurd comments I've ever heard an AD make.

It's time to move on. Lets hope the future holds unprecedented success for Tulane Athletics.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Let me say this about his 'across the street" comment. Many there that day cheered loudly when he said that. Some of those people post here. They are a large part of the problem.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

JDTulane wrote:I'm hopeful all of us "across the streeters" get to rejoin the rank n file after this head coach announcement. I hope you all plan to do the same!!
No one here has gone across the street. We have continued to fight to see Tulane finally reach its full athletic potential. Cheers to all the great Tulane fans here.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

winwave wrote:
JDTulane wrote:I'm hopeful all of us "across the streeters" get to rejoin the rank n file after this head coach announcement. I hope you all plan to do the same!!
No one here has gone across the street. We have continued to fight to see Tulane finally reach its full athletic potential. Cheers to all the great Tulane fans here.
Where are we supposed to "walk across the street" to? Boots? Palms?
OUG
Riptide

winwave wrote:Let me say this about his 'across the street" comment. Many there that day cheered loudly when he said that. Some of those people post here. They are a large part of the problem.
Who?
anEngineer
Riptide

At one point during this season, the AAC had 4 teams in the top 25. Those teams had victories over P5 schools in order to get there. Eventually, those teams all had to play each other and somebody had to lose. Not being a P5 school gets you knocked down a lot farther when you lose to another non-P5 school, but there are still 3 top 25 AAC's now. The point is that if the AAC continues to grow, show strength from top to bottom and hold it's own against P5, the AAC schools will all be absorbed by P5 or it will become a P6. Remember, it was essentially a P6 when the Big East had football. Tulane just needs steady growth toward competitiveness in the AAC and the conference stuff will work itself out. TV dollars follow winners.
GreenLantern
Riptide

winwave wrote:Let me say this about his 'across the street" comment. Many there that day cheered loudly when he said that. Some of those people post here. They are a large part of the problem.
I've often wondered about the 'across the street' challenge and what the context was for the quote. Was he responding to people that were being critical of his decision-making or was he telling those who didn't like Tulane's W-L record to go elsewhere?
winwave
Top of the WAVE

OUG wrote:
Who?
I'm not going to name them. I just wanted to remind them as they were especially brutal in their treatment of those of us who quickly saw through the jokebook. This quote has been brought up a lot lately and it just brings back bad memories.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

anEngineer wrote:At one point during this season, the AAC had 4 teams in the top 25. Those teams had victories over P5 schools in order to get there. Eventually, those teams all had to play each other and somebody had to lose. Not being a P5 school gets you knocked down a lot farther when you lose to another non-P5 school, but there are still 3 top 25 AAC's now. The point is that if the AAC continues to grow, show strength from top to bottom and hold it's own against P5, the AAC schools will all be absorbed by P5 or it will become a P6. Remember, it was essentially a P6 when the Big East had football. Tulane just needs steady growth toward competitiveness in the AAC and the conference stuff will work itself out. TV dollars follow winners.
We all hope it plays out that way. However a lot of those top teams are losing key players and/or coaches so it will be interesting to see if the conference can do as well next year. Hopefully it does and accomplishes what we hope for.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

GreenLantern wrote:
I've often wondered about the 'across the street' challenge and what the context was for the quote. Was he responding to people that were being critical of his decision-making or was he telling those who didn't like Tulane's W-L record to go elsewhere?
Lantern I was so pissed off sitting there listening to that lying asshole that I don't recall at exactly what point he uttered it. It just came across as "hey we are doing good by our teams and if you don't believe it go across the street".