Tulane Athletics

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Wavetime
Swell

It really seems like everyone was somewhat surprised by the selection of TD, then fans were surprised again by his resume, attitude and enthusiasm.

Since us diehards are feeling positive, here is my wish list/dream for the Wave.

I'm hoping that TD comes in and hires a coach that can get good assistants that can really coach. I would like a spread offense, just because I think that our recruiting area can provide the athletes for it. However, what I really want is a winning program that can get us to the next level. I don't care if our new coach runs Bennie Ellender's offense or Rich Rod's. We have to play defense and be well coached. I don't mind losing to a team if we flat out get beat, but beating ourselves and/or not being mentally prepared is just not acceptable at this level on a consistent basis. I hope we not only can pay our new HC, but the assistants as well. Facility upgrades are a must.

The same goes for basketball. I think WBB is fine and the recruiting will continue to get better with the Hertz Center and playing AAC teams. MBB needs help. I really believe EC is just over his head. He is not afraid to change coaches and players, but our offense is stale and predictable. Maybe we need a talent upgrade, but I think we are lacking in coaching as well.

Baseball, I think coach Pierce is doing great so far.

As a department I'd love to get back into the SEC (hey, I can dream can't I), then the ACC. The Big 12 would just be fantastic as well. Then after we make the jump to a P5, what I would love more than anything else is to play the kittens 90 miles up north home and home every year. But not just play them, be competitive and beat them. They are our true rival and we are theirs. You do hear this from the older diehards and even from Bobby Hebert believe it or not. Our slip in athletics has helped their recruiting tremendously and they want to keep us down for this reason and others. They don't have a true rival except for us. Alabama has Auburn and Tennessee. Ole Miss has Miss. St. Texas A&M has Texas. Arkansas has the old SWC and many of their fans miss the Big 12. You get the point. Beating them in any sport is just awesome.

Anyway, that's my vision (dream). The only obstacle in our way is us.

wavemania
Surge

I am still not sold. I think there were better qualified candidates. Tulane took the route of the guy who knows how to BS the most. He has never hired a coach, he inherited most, if not all, of the winning coaches. That is like giving RD credit for keeping Lisa. I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, but I won't decide to renew season tickets until I see who his hire is. Needs to be a big tim slam dunk for me, otherwise I am done
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Wavetime wrote:It really seems like everyone was somewhat surprised by the selection of TD, then fans were surprised again by his resume, attitude and enthusiasm.

Since us diehards are feeling positive, here is my wish list/dream for the Wave.

I'm hoping that TD comes in and hires a coach that can get good assistants that can really coach. I would like a spread offense, just because I think that our recruiting area can provide the athletes for it. However, what I really want is a winning program that can get us to the next level. I don't care if our new coach runs Bennie Ellender's offense or Rich Rod's. We have to play defense and be well coached. I don't mind losing to a team if we flat out get beat, but beating ourselves and/or not being mentally prepared is just not acceptable at this level on a consistent basis. I hope we not only can pay our new HC, but the assistants as well. Facility upgrades are a must.

The same goes for basketball. I think WBB is fine and the recruiting will continue to get better with the Hertz Center and playing AAC teams. MBB needs help. I really believe EC is just over his head. He is not afraid to change coaches and players, but our offense is stale and predictable. Maybe we need a talent upgrade, but I think we are lacking in coaching as well.

Baseball, I think coach Pierce is doing great so far.

As a department I'd love to get back into the SEC (hey, I can dream can't I), then the ACC. The Big 12 would just be fantastic as well. Then after we make the jump to a P5, what I would love more than anything else is to play the kittens 90 miles up north home and home every year. But not just play them, be competitive and beat them. They are our true rival and we are theirs. You do hear this from the older diehards and even from Bobby Hebert believe it or not. Our slip in athletics has helped their recruiting tremendously and they want to keep us down for this reason and others. They don't have a true rival except for us. Alabama has Auburn and Tennessee. Ole Miss has Miss. St. Texas A&M has Texas. Arkansas has the old SWC and many of their fans miss the Big 12. You get the point. Beating them in any sport is just awesome.

Anyway, that's my vision (dream). The only obstacle in our way is us.
+1. Here's to hoping it all comes to fruition quicker than anyone could imagine.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Krash Kraddock
Trickle

Texas and Texas A&M no longer play... I am not so sure Arkansas misses their old SWC schools, they were convinced every official was against them in conference play. Tulane and LSU will both have new AD's, this may provide an opportunity to renew the series.
Wavetime
Swell

Krash Kraddock wrote:Texas and Texas A&M no longer play... I am not so sure Arkansas misses their old SWC schools, they were convinced every official was against them in conference play. Tulane and LSU will both have new AD's, this may provide an opportunity to renew the series.
That's the point. Many Big 12 fans were bothered when Texas A&M left as they were when Nebraska and Mizzou bolted. I have family that lived in northern Arkansas for many years and still have some in Little Rock. This is where I get that info from. I also have a very good friend who is a Mizzou die hard. There are many Mizzou fans that miss the Big 12. You just don't throw away over 100 years of tradition away that many generations of fans have appreciated and enjoyed and expect people to adjust like a light switch. Personally, I still don't think South Carolina and definitely not Mizzouri. But, hey, that's just me. Same goes for West Virginia in the Big 12. The power of money!
Krash Kraddock
Trickle

Wavetime wrote:
Krash Kraddock wrote:Texas and Texas A&M no longer play... I am not so sure Arkansas misses their old SWC schools, they were convinced every official was against them in conference play. Tulane and LSU will both have new AD's, this may provide an opportunity to renew the series.
That's the point. Many Big 12 fans were bothered when Texas A&M left as they were when Nebraska and Mizzou bolted. I have family that lived in northern Arkansas for many years and still have some in Little Rock. This is where I get that info from. I also have a very good friend who is a Mizzou die hard. There are many Mizzou fans that miss the Big 12. You just don't throw away over 100 years of tradition away that many generations of fans have appreciated and enjoyed and expect people to adjust like a light switch. Personally, I still don't think South Carolina and definitely not Mizzouri. But, hey, that's just me. Same goes for West Virginia in the Big 12. The power of money!
Geographically and traditionally I can understand their feelings, but Mizzou is better off in the SEC because of the bucks, the same for Arkansas, it is one long drive from UA and Mizzou to any of the SEC schools, except to drive to each others campust. Tradition in this day in age is "what have done for me in the last hour, and how much did I earn or how much did it cost" I doubt seriously Tulane will be invited back to the SEC, or the ACC, the Big 12 seems to be their geographical fit and a conference that sooner than later will be forced to expand.
Green Wave
Swell

wavemania wrote:I am still not sold. I think there were better qualified candidates. Tulane took the route of the guy who knows how to BS the most. He has never hired a coach, he inherited most, if not all, of the winning coaches. That is like giving RD credit for keeping Lisa. I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, but I won't decide to renew season tickets until I see who his hire is. Needs to be a big tim slam dunk for me, otherwise I am done
I think a major part of the job is retaining coaches. It is by far not the only thing but, it is an integral part to success.
ROLL WAVE!
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

wavemania wrote:I am still not sold. I think there were better qualified candidates. Tulane took the route of the guy who knows how to BS the most. He has never hired a coach, he inherited most, if not all, of the winning coaches. That is like giving RD credit for keeping Lisa. I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, but I won't decide to renew season tickets until I see who his hire is. Needs to be a big tim slam dunk for me, otherwise I am done
This is a program that has given anyone a valid reason to jump ship, but I don't think that's the case right now.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Green Wave wrote:
I think a major part of the job is retaining coaches. It is by far not the only thing but, it is an integral part to success.
Look at this fool right here trying to give credit to Rick Dickson as if "retaining" Stockton is somehow a win for him.

Can't you leave the program now that your "special" friend Rick is gone?
JerseyWave
Riptide

Green Wave wrote:
This guy is also pathetic. "Retain coaches"??? You mean like Conroy(6 Years) and Toledo(5 Years)? Retain coaches that keep losing and make excuses? Retain Rick Jones who mailed it in and couldn't adjust to the changing landscape of his sport. Retain CJ after it was obvious he had make changes in his program or fail. He chose fail.
LSU-MD
Low Tide

Texas and Texas A&M no longer play... I am not so sure Arkansas misses their old SWC schools, they were convinced every official was against them in conference play. Tulane and LSU will both have new AD's, this may provide an opportunity to renew the series.
Nope both Arkansas and Texas A&M are glad to be rid of UT and the little9 conference. After hearing some of the stuff that went down over the years I would not want my school anywhere near the Big12.
Green Wave
Swell

jonathanjoseph wrote:
Green Wave wrote:
Look at this fool right here trying to give credit to Rick Dickson as if "retaining" Stockton is somehow a win for him.

Love and kisses Troll.

So, you don't thing retaining good coaches is a good think or, are you just trolling my posts?
ROLL WAVE!
JTLiuzza
Swell

Green Wave wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
Green Wave wrote:

Love and kisses Troll.

So, you don't thing retaining good coaches is a good think or, are you just trolling my posts?
I don't believe there's a person you could ask, except maybe the fire marshall, who would not thing that retaining good coaches is a good think. What's that smiley you always use? :mrgreen:
The second commandment has not been abrogated.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Green Wave wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
Green Wave wrote:

Love and kisses Troll.

No, retaining the wrong coaches is not a good thin[g], when those coaches are Toledo, Conroy and CJ. When you are quoted as saying that it would be "irresponsible" not to give Bob Toledo a contract extension, you are an idiot.

The only bigger idiot is the utter fool who is trying to whitewash that obvious catastrophic failure many years later. Since I know you aren't smart enough to figure it out, JTS, I'm referring to you.
JTLiuzza
Swell

JerseyWave wrote:
Green Wave wrote:
This guy is also pathetic. "Retain coaches"??? You mean like Conroy(6 Years) and Toledo(5 Years)? Retain coaches that keep losing and make excuses? Retain Rick Jones who mailed it in and couldn't adjust to the changing landscape of his sport. Retain CJ after it was obvious he had make changes in his program or fail. He chose fail.
Don't forget Scelfo. Dickson held on to him with a death grip for 8 years. Why? That was Cowen's hand picked coach. Dickson was a lap dog from day one. Anyway, that's history. I hope things are going to be looking up.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

JerseyWave wrote:
Green Wave wrote:
If it was up to Tricky Ricky, we would still have CJ as HC. I have to believe that Fitts and/or the BOA decided CJ had to go, and forced Tricky to deliver the coup de grace on CJ. Tricky followed his orders, as he wasn't going to jeopardize his 8 month free ride.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

JTLiuzza wrote:
JerseyWave wrote:
Green Wave wrote:
Don't forget Scelfo. Dickson held on to him with a death grip for 8 years. Why? That was Cowen's hand picked coach. Dickson was a lap dog from day one. Anyway, that's history. I hope things are going to be looking up.

I understand former Tulane player Sam Scelfo, owner of Gambinos Bakery, had a hand / donation in influencing the decision
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Wavetime
Swell

golfnut69 wrote:
JTLiuzza wrote:
JerseyWave wrote:
Green Wave wrote:

I understand former Tulane player Sam Scelfo, owner of Gambinos Bakery, had a hand / donation in influencing the decision

That's my understanding also.
Green Wave
Swell

JTLiuzza wrote:
Green Wave wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
Green Wave wrote:

Love and kisses Troll.

I don't believe there's a person you could ask, except maybe the fire marshall, who would not thing that retaining good coaches is a good think. What's that smiley you always use? :mrgreen:
I don't think you can think JT. You and the guys(JW&JJ) are so bent from PTSD due to Tulane athletics there is no way you can carry on an objective conversation about Tulane. This is the only board in the country that has the arrogance to think they know more than the official in charge of setting capacity for stadiums. The ridiculous RD comments I just love. Take a straightforward answer and add a little paranoia and it comes out garbage talk.

JJ Cowen is no longer the President of Tulane. RD is no longer the AD. Don't you think it is time to move on from this?
ROLL WAVE!
JTLiuzza
Swell

Green Wave wrote:
JTLiuzza wrote:
Green Wave wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
Green Wave wrote:

Love and kisses Troll.

I don't think you can think JT. You and the guys(JW&JJ) are so bent from PTSD due to Tulane athletics there is no way you can carry on an objective conversation about Tulane. This is the only board in the country that has the arrogance to think they know more than the official in charge of setting capacity for stadiums. The ridiculous RD comments I just love. Take a straightforward answer and add a little paranoia and it comes out garbage talk.

JJ Cowen is no longer the President of Tulane. RD is no longer the AD. Don't you think it is time to move on from this?
There is no way on earth that I could ever rebut your rock solid presentation. You have me in a checkmate. I must rethink it all. I can't believe that I actually thought for a moment that you were simply an anonymous douche bag.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Green Wave wrote:
JTLiuzza wrote:
Green Wave wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
Green Wave wrote:

Love and kisses Troll.

LOL at the desperate fool grasping at straws still trying to talk about the fire marshall and stadium capacity.
ajcalhoun
Swell

jonathanjoseph wrote: LOL at the desperate fool grasping at straws still trying to talk about the fire marshall and stadium capacity.
I don't often agree with jj but, Green Wave, he is right. This Fire Marshal bullshit you insist upon bringing up constantly erases any credibility you might have on this forum.
God Bless Everyone!
JDTulane
Riptide

GW had credibility?
Jonathan
Riptide

Every one on the board has the right to express his or her opinion on the direction of Tulane athletics according to Steve.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

JDTulane wrote:GW had credibility?
Don't you go to his forum and play by his "rules"? You give him more than credibility.