Tulane loses to LSU 10-4

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami
Posts: 5197
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:17 pm
Status: Offline

Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:15 am

winwave wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
winwave wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
Profoundwizard wrote:We had enough pitchers.
Jewett should have found someone who could catch and paid them to do it. No excuse for how poorly prepared they were last year.
I played ball up north and have several friends who also played. A lot of lesser programs in the north don;t even utilize all their scholarships and the programs are severely under funded, yet I have legit never heard a coach say they couldn't scrimmage. You find a way, move players around, recruit short term walk ons. My point, I think coach used that as a bull$hit excuse, you figure out a way to get it done. There are plenty of capable non-scholarship students at Tulane that would have loved to participate in anyway. Hell, you can hire people off the street to come pitch or catch. Unless something changes fast, this coach either isn't ready or isn't capable of running a top25 type program or consistent tourney team, it's obvious. The allure of Vandy recruiting clouded TD's vision.
Yeah. There are just so many good arms hanging around Tulane's campus that could take the mound and prepare the team to play D-1 baseball. :roll:
It's just for a few innings now and then. Also, there are a myriad of former players and instructors.
You get so dramatic, as if they had no healthy arms. Even if they had 10 arms, that's about 100 innings a week to play with, that isn't enough? We frequently had minor league players, former players etc. come practice with us and that was freakin Massachusetts, I can only believe that there are a litany in the NOLA area. As for the talent, well I am sure there are plenty of TU students capable of catching a pitcher, hell I could catch if need be and I am an out of shape bum.
Not a few innings now and then. Fall ball is a compressed period of time. A team normally has 18-20 healthy arms in the fall to practice with. We had 11. That's just a fact. As I have said throughout this thread there is a lot to legitimately criticize. I have done so. There's no reason to make stuff up to add to it.

Funny how when you first came here when legitimate criticism's were made of our athletic program you were all"all is well". Now you're jumping off the ledge. Oh the drama.
Your post is full of false information.

First came here....? I have over 5000 posts, you want to go back to 2010?

18-20 arms necessary for a fall camp, come on. You been through a fall camp?


User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 17869
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:17 am

winwave wrote:
Pepper wrote: Again Tulane's worst enemy is Tulane.
That's been the case for almost 70 years now and unfortunately it looks like it always will be .
Sad but true.
Stadiums get old, winning never does.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 12301
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:49 am

mbawavefan12 wrote:
winwave wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
winwave wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
Profoundwizard wrote:We had enough pitchers.
Jewett should have found someone who could catch and paid them to do it. No excuse for how poorly prepared they were last year.
I played ball up north and have several friends who also played. A lot of lesser programs in the north don;t even utilize all their scholarships and the programs are severely under funded, yet I have legit never heard a coach say they couldn't scrimmage. You find a way, move players around, recruit short term walk ons. My point, I think coach used that as a bull$hit excuse, you figure out a way to get it done. There are plenty of capable non-scholarship students at Tulane that would have loved to participate in anyway. Hell, you can hire people off the street to come pitch or catch. Unless something changes fast, this coach either isn't ready or isn't capable of running a top25 type program or consistent tourney team, it's obvious. The allure of Vandy recruiting clouded TD's vision.
Yeah. There are just so many good arms hanging around Tulane's campus that could take the mound and prepare the team to play D-1 baseball. :roll:
It's just for a few innings now and then. Also, there are a myriad of former players and instructors.
You get so dramatic, as if they had no healthy arms. Even if they had 10 arms, that's about 100 innings a week to play with, that isn't enough? We frequently had minor league players, former players etc. come practice with us and that was freakin Massachusetts, I can only believe that there are a litany in the NOLA area. As for the talent, well I am sure there are plenty of TU students capable of catching a pitcher, hell I could catch if need be and I am an out of shape bum.
Not a few innings now and then. Fall ball is a compressed period of time. A team normally has 18-20 healthy arms in the fall to practice with. We had 11. That's just a fact. As I have said throughout this thread there is a lot to legitimately criticize. I have done so. There's no reason to make stuff up to add to it.

Funny how when you first came here when legitimate criticism's were made of our athletic program you were all"all is well". Now you're jumping off the ledge. Oh the drama.
Your post is full of false information.

First came here....? I have over 5000 posts, you want to go back to 2010?

18-20 arms necessary for a fall camp, come on. You been through a fall camp?
Not false at all. That was what you constantly posted back then. As far as the arms necessary that's the numbers we had always had and we were far short of it last year.
Yulman is where Tulane athletics went to be buried! Tulane is small time for all time. It's time to put Tulane athletics in it's small space in life.
DfromCT
Tsunami
Posts: 6250
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:56 am

I think MBA is simply calling Jewett out on his BS. MBA played D1 baseball at a program that had nothing close to the resources Tulane puts into baseball. I think he knows a bit more about college baseball and how to get around obstacles than most of us here. If finding enough arms to scrimmage can be done at smaller private Universities in the North, it can certainly be done at Tulane.
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
Profoundwizard
Swell
Posts: 1110
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:50 pm
Status: Offline

Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:56 am

18-20 might be what we normally have but it’s not a necessity for fall ball. They play like 3-4 games a week. Usually only 7 innings. You don’t need 18-20 arms for that.
winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 12301
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:02 am

We'll have to agree to disagree.
Yulman is where Tulane athletics went to be buried! Tulane is small time for all time. It's time to put Tulane athletics in it's small space in life.
McWave
Low Tide
Posts: 136
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:45 am
Status: Offline

Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:26 pm

DfromCT wrote:I think MBA is simply calling Jewett out on his BS. MBA played D1 baseball at a program that had nothing close to the resources Tulane puts into baseball. I think he knows a bit more about college baseball and how to get around obstacles than most of us here. If finding enough arms to scrimmage can be done at smaller private Universities in the North, it can certainly be done at Tulane.
What "smaller private universities in the North" with similar tuition costs have had any success in baseball? I can not think of many. Maybe St. John's but tuition is lower ($40k) and lower average ACT (25) scores make academic scholarships easier to award to athletes.
HoustonWave
Swell
Posts: 1502
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:27 pm
Status: Offline

Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:42 pm

tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:
Pepper wrote: Again Tulane's worst enemy is Tulane.
That's been the case for almost 70 years now and unfortunately it looks like it always will be .
Sad but true.
And because of it, the lost opportunities and financial benefits have been huge over those 70 years.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
DfromCT
Tsunami
Posts: 6250
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:01 pm

McWave wrote:
DfromCT wrote:I think MBA is simply calling Jewett out on his BS. MBA played D1 baseball at a program that had nothing close to the resources Tulane puts into baseball. I think he knows a bit more about college baseball and how to get around obstacles than most of us here. If finding enough arms to scrimmage can be done at smaller private Universities in the North, it can certainly be done at Tulane.
What "smaller private universities in the North" with similar tuition costs have had any success in baseball? I can not think of many. Maybe St. John's but tuition is lower ($40k) and lower average ACT (25) scores make academic scholarships easier to award to athletes.
We're talking about the ability to scrimmage and find arms to pitch scrimmages in the fall. It doesn't matter what success they've had or haven't had. That wasn't the argument.

But since you brought it up, Duke, Seton Hall, St. Johns, and that school in South Bend, IN (that's WAY tougher to get into than Tulane and has a much better academic reputation) have had some pretty damned good baseball teams.
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
Wave755
Riptide
Posts: 2691
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:04 pm
Status: Offline

Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:32 pm

Happy to report; Final - Vandy 4, LSWho 2. :)
Hornetswave
Low Tide
Posts: 160
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:00 pm
Location: new orleans
Status: Offline

Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:43 am

yippie Go Vandy!!!!!!
Wave755
Riptide
Posts: 2691
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:04 pm
Status: Offline

Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:27 am

Hornetswave wrote:yippie Go Vandy!!!!!!
Elite private schools need to “stick together”! :1thumb: :2thumbs: :lolgreen:
Wave755
Riptide
Posts: 2691
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:04 pm
Status: Offline

Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:20 pm

Hornetswave wrote:yippie Go Vandy!!!!!!
Vandy takes series from LSWho, 2 games to 1. So Hornetswave, a "double yippie" to those Commodores! :D
Post Reply