USNWR

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
RobertM320
Green Wave

We could just have one thread for spreads for the whole year. We could use it to discuss the line on our games, as well as other conference members. No reason we have to start a new one every week. Because it would continue to be updated it would always show in the latest topics section. Anyone interested would know where to look.

"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
winwave
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote:We could just have one thread for spreads for the whole year. We could use it to discuss the line on our games, as well as other conference members. No reason we have to start a new one every week. Because it would continue to be updated it would always show in the latest topics section. Anyone interested would know where to look.
You'd still have three conversations going on each week. The spread thread belongs in the game week thread. Injuries and the such get discussed in the game thread and it affects the spread. I get the separate score prediction thread as every site does that but the spread thread is a bit much.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Like there's not always more than 3 conversations going at any one time?
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
winwave
Top of the WAVE

But those are in the same thread. :mrgreen:
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Looks like Fitts is trying to right Cowen's wrongs:

https://news.tulane.edu/pr/tulane-expan ... te-program
The Tulane School of Science and Engineering is embarking on a new curriculum that will include certificate programs in electrical, mechanical, materials, and computational engineering.

Under the program, students majoring in engineering physics may choose one of the four concentrations, enabling them to graduate with both a bachelor’s degree in engineering physics and a certificate in their specialty area.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

RobertM320 wrote:Looks like Fitts is trying to right Cowen's wrongs:

The Tulane School of Science and Engineering is embarking on a new curriculum that will include certificate programs in electrical, mechanical, materials, and computational engineering.

Under the program, students majoring in engineering physics may choose one of the four concentrations, enabling them to graduate with both a bachelor’s degree in engineering physics and a certificate in their specialty area.
That's exactly right. This is exactly what's needed to be competitive going forward. Not only were humanities degrees becoming worthless, but an MBA without some kind of engineering (even basic CS) was rapidly becoming worthless too. And medical degrees with engineering backgrounds are also very important in the medical field going forward.

Bravo, President Fitts. Well played.
JerseyWave
Riptide

Of course, look what he did with the Wilson Center early in his second year as Tulane President....Dickson, CJ, Momic and Conroy all gone!!! The House cleaning is complete!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

jonathanjoseph wrote:

That's exactly right. This is exactly what's needed to be competitive going forward. Not only were humanities degrees becoming worthless, but an MBA without some kind of engineering (even basic CS) was rapidly becoming worthless too. And medical degrees with engineering backgrounds are also very important in the medical field going forward.

Bravo, President Fitts. Well played.
Amen. My father in law a (Tulane Engineering grad) may finally come back to the $$$ fold.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Aberzombie1892
Swell

netshorty wrote:
Show Me wrote:I thought we’d get swept so winning one kept us from going winless for the week. Beat LSU and I’ll be happy again.
See how well conditioned we are for LBS. We expect nothing (no way we win any games this series) and when we win one game and we can comfort ourselves and say, we did better than expected. We do this in every sport. My favorite is hoops: "We doubled last year's win total". The good news is that next year we may return to 6 or 7 wins meaning we'll see the potential for another doubling of wins in 2019-20...woo hoo...
But that’s par for the course at this point for Tulane stakeholders.

As another example, US News just released the latest grad school rankings, and the Freeman school is Unranked. Hopefully, next year it will make it to the 90’s.

https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-sc ... eman-01099
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
netshorty wrote:
Show Me wrote:I thought we’d get swept so winning one kept us from going winless for the week. Beat LSU and I’ll be happy again.
See how well conditioned we are for LBS. We expect nothing (no way we win any games this series) and when we win one game and we can comfort ourselves and say, we did better than expected. We do this in every sport. My favorite is hoops: "We doubled last year's win total". The good news is that next year we may return to 6 or 7 wins meaning we'll see the potential for another doubling of wins in 2019-20...woo hoo...

As another example, US News just released the latest grad school rankings, and the Freeman school is Unranked. Hopefully, next year it will make it to the 90’s.

The Freeman School has deemphasized the MBA program, just as many other schools are beginning to do. Freeman is ahead of the curve on this, just as they build new specialized graduate programs. The USNWR is behind the times on this, as they solely focus on MBA programs rather than masters programs in finance, energy, data analytics, etc. MBA enrollment throughout the country in plummeting, as students prefer these newer specialized programs. Eventually USNWR will figure out what's going on, and I'm sure Freeman will suddenly rebound in the rankings at that time.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Aberzombie1892
Swell

HoustonWave wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:
netshorty wrote:

The Freeman School has deemphasized the MBA program, just as many other schools are beginning to do. Freeman is ahead of the curve on this, just as they build new specialized graduate programs. The USNWR is behind the times on this, as they solely focus on MBA programs rather than masters programs in finance, energy, data analytics, etc. MBA enrollment throughout the country in plummeting, as students prefer these newer specialized programs. Eventually USNWR will figure out what's going on, and I'm sure Freeman will suddenly rebound in the rankings at that time.
It's really hard to see Tulane's MBA unranked (87 enrolled full time) with Duke at 11 (882 enrolled full time), Emory at 20 (352), Rice at 23 (228), WashU at 23 (272), Vanderbilt at 26 (347), SMU at 48 (222), TCU at 54 (91), Baylor at 59 (96), and Miami at 65 (126). MBA enrollment may be decreasing nationally, but programs like Tulane's were supposed to be able to whether that decrease due to their reputation, and, even if Tulane's reputation was not enough to compensate, enrollment should have remained comparable to similar programs nearby. The enrollments at Rice, Vanderbilt, and SMU are particularly striking when compared to Tulane's.

I understand what you are saying and it's fine if Tulane doesn't want to submit any info for US News rankings, but it shouldn't submit info for areas where it thinks that it would be ranked decent enough (Law), but then not submit info for areas where it would have a relatively embarrassing result (Medical/Business).

As an aside, has Tulane ever rebounded in any rankings other than the "National" category?
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Talk about thread drift!
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote:Talk about thread drift!
I fixed that. :mrgreen:
Tulane Class of 1981
Wave755
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote:
Thank you, TPS. It is amazing how often athletics and academics are somehow conflated on this forum?
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Wave755 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
Thank you, TPS. It is amazing how often athletics and academics are somehow conflated on this forum?
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote:
Wave755 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
AMEN!

Like our USNWR ranking, or bar pass rate has ANYTHING to do with success on the gridiron or other field of play.
Wave755
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
Wave755 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
AMEN!

Like our USNWR ranking, or bar pass rate has ANYTHING to do with success on the gridiron or other field of play.
Yes, even Tulane's 91.07% pass rate for the July 2017 bar examination is not relevant to tonight's baseball game. :D
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Wave755 wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
Wave755 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
AMEN!

Yes, even Tulane's 91.07% pass rate for the July 2017 bar examination is not relevant to tonight's baseball game. :D
Nor do recruits give a $hit about it. In any sport. It's irrelevant.
Wave755
Tsunami

Let’s just hope one day we have a football team the law school can be proud of. :megagrin:
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Wave755 wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
Wave755 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
AMEN!

Neither is Freeman's Master of Finance program, which is rated by the Financial Times as the #10 program in the Americas. In fact, nothing can currently help our baseball program as long as Jewett is still calling fashion signals from the dugout.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote:
Wave755 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
I should have included this in my original response to your post, tps.

I think that happens because we "win" more often in the academic areas than we do in athletics, by a wide margin. That being said, if we had a strong athletics department, like, say Stanford, Notre Dame, Northwestern, and even mediocre ones like BC, for example, we'd be much better off as a University. The "Front Porch" matters, it gives the potential buyer (students AND recruits) their first impression of the house. And sometimes it's hard to get past that first impression if the front porch looks like it's falling off the house.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

DfromCT wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
Wave755 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:

I think that happens because we "win" more often in the academic areas than we do in athletics, by a wide margin. That being said, if we had a strong athletics department, like, say Stanford, Notre Dame, Northwestern, and even mediocre ones like BC, for example, we'd be much better off as a University. The "Front Porch" matters, it gives the potential buyer (students AND recruits) their first impression of the house. And sometimes it's hard to get past that first impression if the front porch looks like it's falling off the house.
It always come back to money -
Tulane doesn't compete in sports because of money.
Tulane doesn't compete with other high profile academic institutions in most areas because of money.
Tulane doesn't attract the best professors and student body because of money.
Tulane doesn't offer many cutting edge degree programs because of money.
Tulane doesn't submit info to US News for 2/3 of the quantifiable US news grad school rankings (business/medicine) because of money.
Etc.

If only Tulane had more money - another $3-4 Billion to be exact.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
Wave755 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:

Tulane doesn't compete with other high profile academic institutions in most areas because of money.
Tulane doesn't submit info to US News for 2/3 of the quantifiable US news grad school rankings (business/medicine) because of money.
Etc.

The $20-30 million/year from a P5 conference Cowen/Dickson screwed us out of by mis-playing the opportunity following the magical season of football in 1998 sure would help. We would have had TCU's spot in the Big 12, or a spot in the ACC had Cowen hired Rich Rodriguez and our football team gone bowling 3 or 4 years in a row. But instead the CowDick regime made it clear that Tulane wasn't concerned with winning or really being competitive at the highest levels of NCAA athletics.

The University continues to struggle to overcome the CowDick regime. Its' scars will be very, very long lasting. And isn't it a coincidence that the last few years of Cowen, the University lost $15-20 million/year?

My Birthday Wish: Tulane sever all ties with Scott Cowen and wake up to the damage his Presidency inflicted.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

DfromCT wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
Wave755 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:

Etc.

The $20-30 million/year from a P5 conference Cowen/Dickson screwed us out of by mis-playing the opportunity following the magical season of football in 1998 sure would help. We would have had TCU's spot in the Big 12, or a spot in the ACC had Cowen hired Rich Rodriguez and our football team gone bowling 3 or 4 years in a row. But instead the CowDick regime made it clear that Tulane wasn't concerned with winning or really being competitive at the highest levels of NCAA athletics.

The University continues to struggle to overcome the CowDick regime. Its' scars will be very, very long lasting. And isn't it a coincidence that the last few years of Cowen, the University lost $15-20 million/year?

My Birthday Wish: Tulane sever all ties with Scott Cowen and wake up to the damage his Presidency inflicted.
I don't know. Blaming Cowen for Tulane not being in a P5 is easy, but, in reality, how would things have turned out different? Tulane wasn't getting in the B1G, SEC, ACC, or PAC12 due to geography issues, so the only conference available was the Big 12. When the Big 12 expanded, it was going to add a Texas team regardless due the desire to retain 4 Texas programs after Texas A&M left, and so that left the Big 12 with one spot remaining. Even if Tulane had been generally bowl eligible after the 1998 season, would it have been as relevant or valuable as state flagship WVU coming out of a previous Power conference, a recent Orange Bowl win, and not winning less than 8 games in any season during the 2003-2011 period? That would be a tough sell even if Tulane generally won 8 games in a non-power conference.
MicMan
Swell

Stone cold logic. ^^^^^^

That'll never fly here :)