Tulane loses a tough one to ULL in 11, 5-2

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
wavemania
Surge

It is widely assumed that a former player of a coach is considered his protege. As far as $$, there are ways to work it out. Problem is the Tulane administration doesn't care to. Very easy to do- if a LA kid meets tops, then Tulane can say that any student athlete who meets tops can qualify for 100% tuition if that is covered at a LA public university. If tops only covers 90% at said college, then Tulane covers 90%.

galvezwave
Swell

wavemania wrote:It is widely assumed that a former player of a coach is considered his protege. As far as $$, there are ways to work it out. Problem is the Tulane administration doesn't care to. Very easy to do- if a LA kid meets tops, then Tulane can say that any student athlete who meets tops can qualify for 100% tuition if that is covered at a LA public university. If tops only covers 90% at said college, then Tulane covers 90%.
Yes. Tulane simply doesn’t want to win bad enough.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Actually Tulane can't do that b/c it has to be the same for all students.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

When people talk of a protégé's it is in the singular. It is the person who was mainly responsible for their training in a particular area. You don't have multiple people running around claiming that person X is their protégé.

As to Kerr he would be a self made man. He never coached under anyone else. He helped the owner of the Suns buy the team and became the GM. He later became the Warriors coach.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Wave755
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote:nothing to get excited about..we all know this is exhibition season and the real Games do not begin until late May and the first week of June.. I know ole Travis will have us in gear by then !?!?!?!?!?
Thank you 'Nut, I am hardly sold on Jewett but you are correct, this is the preseason, and weekday games in March are practically "scrimmage games."

And, if Massey hadn't blown up in 1.1 innings on Saturday, we may well have swept Purdue last weekend. I am nowhere close to sold on Jewett but losing an 11 inning Tuesday night game in March isn't exactly the end of the world either.
Profoundwizard
Swell

winwave wrote:When people talk of a protégé's it is in the singular. It is the person who was mainly responsible for their training in a particular area. You don't have multiple people running around claiming that person X is their protégé.

As to Kerr he would be a self made man. He never coached under anyone else. He helped the owner of the Suns buy the team and became the GM. He later became the Warriors coach.
Semantics.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

I am going to check but I think there are some PEE schools that do not sponsor Baseball...Iowa State dropped the sport about 15 years ago
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Pepper
Swell

It can be done. You could have financial aid and scholarship programs for students for a variety of non athletic reasons (need based, merit based, increasing diversity, veteran programs, etc).

This is from Tulane's website regarding TOPS: "TOPS is a scholarship program funded by the state of Louisiana. Students who have been Louisiana residents for at least two years and have graduated from a Louisiana high school are eligible to apply for TOPS. The maximum award at Tulane is the average Louisiana public college tuition and may include a stipend for students with higher grade point averages and/or ACT scores."

Take 11.7 of the scholarship plus the TOP's portion(20K at LSU) and Tulane becomes that more attractive.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Jake Gautreaux brought in a highly rated class on his last go around. It can be done it just takes a lot of hard work and skill finding players that can pass, play and pay. The problem we face is that that same player is coverted by the other privates in a similar high tuition situation and some public’s. The head baseball coach at Tulane must also be skilled in negotiating the financial hurdles that are placed on him. As tuition rises it just makes it more difficult to find those 3 P’s. We signed a bunch of JC’s to fill needs quickly but also because they can better afford two years of tuition vs 4 years.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
galvezwave
Swell

golfnut69 wrote:I am going to check but I think there are some PEE schools that do not sponsor Baseball...Iowa State dropped the sport about 15 years ago
Not to piss off any baseball guys. I like baseball too, but that piece of land would have better suited Tulane athletics with a 8,000 seat arena, parking garage and an IPF squeezed in there somewhere . Losing baseball (something we haven’t ever really had) is a massive waste of money and space. I know, crazy talk.
Pepper
Swell

galvezwave wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:I am going to check but I think there are some PEE schools that do not sponsor Baseball...Iowa State dropped the sport about 15 years ago
Not to piss off any baseball guys. I like baseball too, but that piece of land would have better suited Tulane athletics with a 8,000 seat arena, parking garage and an IPF squeezed in there somewhere . Losing baseball (something we haven’t ever really had) is a massive waste of money and space. I know, crazy talk.
Could we have blown up Foglemen, played off-campus for a year and built a nice arena on that site? just asking.
galvezwave
Swell

Pepper wrote:
galvezwave wrote:
Could we have blown up Foglemen, played off-campus for a year and built a nice arena on that site? just asking.
I think I read somewhere that fogelman is a historic building that can’t be torn down?? Anyway, I shouldn’t be picking on baseball. We lose at everything.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

Pepper wrote:It can be done. You could have financial aid and scholarship programs for students for a variety of non athletic reasons (need based, merit based, increasing diversity, veteran programs, etc).

This is from Tulane's website regarding TOPS: "TOPS is a scholarship program funded by the state of Louisiana. Students who have been Louisiana residents for at least two years and have graduated from a Louisiana high school are eligible to apply for TOPS. The maximum award at Tulane is the average Louisiana public college tuition and may include a stipend for students with higher grade point averages and/or ACT scores."

Take 11.7 of the scholarship plus the TOP's portion(20K at LSU) and Tulane becomes that more attractive.
TOPS could quite literally disappear this year due to Jindal and all those in the state legislature that either supported him or were scared of him. It's unclear as to whether studies have been done on TOPS, but it stands to reason that after the last TOPS reduction, some families that have options would not be willing to send their children instate on the idea that TOPS would always be there.

As for Tulane itself, it doesn't have the resources to accomplish all of those goals. Tulane's current priority for its general scholarship fund is offering merit scholarships to students with high test scores, and, because that strategy is working for the purposes of US News, it's unlikely that Tulane would change that anytime soon.
price and Tulane would offer $25k/year).
Pepper
Swell

TOPS could quite literally disappear this year due to Jindal and all those in the state legislature that either supported him or were scared of him. It's unclear as to whether studies have been done on TOPS, but it stands to reason that after the last TOPS reduction, some families that have options would not be willing to send their children instate on the idea that TOPS would always be there.

As for Tulane itself, it doesn't have the resources to accomplish all of those goals. Tulane's current priority for its general scholarship fund is offering merit scholarships to students with high test scores, and, because that strategy is working for the purposes of US News, it's unlikely that Tulane would change that anytime soon.
price and Tulane would offer $25k/year).[/quote]

Like I said, Tulane doesn't want to play on a level playing field. Built in-excuses.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Pepper wrote:It can be done. You could have financial aid and scholarship programs for students for a variety of non athletic reasons (need based, merit based, increasing diversity, veteran programs, etc).

Pepper that is being done as far as the players that qualify for it. I'm not sure how it's calculated at Tulane but I don't think they get $20k. Hope they do but from past conversations about it I don't think it amounts to that much. The above poster was saying that Tulane should just make up a rule that if a player qualifies for TOPS then they would automatically get 100% of their tuition covered. That can't be done without saying it applies to all students at Tulane that qualify.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote:Jake Gautreaux brought in a highly rated class on his last go around. It can be done it just takes a lot of hard work and skill finding players that can pass, play and pay. The problem we face is that that same player is coverted by the other privates in a similar high tuition situation and some public’s. The head baseball coach at Tulane must also be skilled in negotiating the financial hurdles that are placed on him. As tuition rises it just makes it more difficult to find those 3 P’s. We signed a bunch of JC’s to fill needs quickly but also because they can better afford two years of tuition vs 4 years.
According to a recent post by rollwave11 next years class has a higher original rating than even that class had. Hopefully they are correct. Jewett has said on more than one occasion that he has told he tells his coaches not to apologize about the cost. He knows what they are facing and he has his plan in place to try and deal with it. May he succeed.
Pepper
Swell

Pepper that is being done as far as the players that qualify for it. I'm not sure how it's calculated at Tulane but I don't think they get $20k. Hope they do but from past conversations about it I don't think it amounts to that much. The above poster was saying that Tulane should just make up a rule that if a player qualifies for TOPS then they would automatically get 100% of their tuition covered. That can't be done without saying it applies to all students at Tulane that qualify.[/quote]

My point is there is a way. All of these bright minds should be able to remedy this.
cajunfanatico
Swell

Wave755 wrote:
GreenLantern wrote:About time for the ULaLa trolls to show up... particularly if we don’t have our best game.
True, even though they claim to “like” Tulane, at lease CajunTroll (Cajunfanatico) makes such a claim and Flasher (exflash) alleges his mother went to Tulane about a 100 years ago, they have shown very little interest in Tulane athletics of late, even after our best football recruiting class in about 15 or even 20 years? And, it seems even though they “like” Tulane, they only post on this forum during bad times for the Wave? Could it be we have heard so little from the ULALA Trolls because the “Cajun Knute Rockne,” Mark Hudspeth, was fired this season and ULALA’s football recruiting class is ranked 124? https://247sports.com/Season/2018-Footb ... amRankings

And, after losing to "mighty" Texas-Arlington in the "mighty" Sunbelt basketball tournament last week, they truly expect to get blown-out by LSWho @ B. R. tomorrow night?

Oh well, if the Wave has a bad mid-week game tonight I am sure CajunTroll and Flasher will crawl out from under the rocks they live under to again post our forum.

I swear, for a guy who claims he doesn't care about the Cajun program, you know more about it than I. That must be one tiny dick you got there.
ajcalhoun: Nobody here gives a flying fuck about UL-L and the Sunbelt Conference.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

so far it looks like the following PEE schools do not have baseball Colorado, Iowa State, Syracuse, Wisconsin...now where is all of that money going ?
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
cajunfanatico
Swell

Wave755 wrote:they have shown very little interest in Tulane athletics of late, even after our best football recruiting class in about 15 or even 20 years? And, it seems even though they “like” Tulane, they only post on this forum during bad times for the Wave?
We only post on this forum during the bad times for the Wave? LOL. I've hardly posted here over the last year or so. Are you telling me I should have because of the program's success in football and basketball, or because of the football recruiting class?
ajcalhoun: Nobody here gives a flying fuck about UL-L and the Sunbelt Conference.
Wave755
Tsunami

cajunfanatico wrote:
Wave755 wrote:they have shown very little interest in Tulane athletics of late, even after our best football recruiting class in about 15 or even 20 years? And, it seems even though they “like” Tulane, they only post on this forum during bad times for the Wave?
We only post on this forum during the bad times for the Wave? LOL. I've hardly posted here over the last year or so. Are you telling me I should have because of the program's success in football and basketball, or because of the football recruiting class?
O K Cajun Troll, back under the rock from whence you came! :D
cajunfanatico
Swell

Wave755 wrote:
cajunfanatico wrote:
Whence you came, not "from whence you came", numbnut. Geez, Tulane diploma and all. :roll:
Wave755
Tsunami

cajunfanatico wrote:
Wave755 wrote:
cajunfanatico wrote:
Whence you came, not "from whence you came", numbnut. Geez, Tulane diploma and all. :roll:
Adios Cajun Troll, and I am glad we at least agree you live under a rock!!! :lol:
ajcalhoun
Swell

Wave755 wrote: Adios Cajun Troll, and I am glad we at least agree you live under a rock!!! :lol:
That "Cajun Troll" is a better poster than you. Why do you feel the need to be such a lousy host? Why can't you welcome discussion from fans of other schools? You are an insecure baby who brings nothing to this board except gambling odds. You are the one I wish would go away.
God Bless Everyone!
Wave755
Tsunami

ajcalhoun wrote:
Wave755 wrote: Adios Cajun Troll, and I am glad we at least agree you live under a rock!!! :lol:
That "Cajun Troll" is a better poster than you. Why do you feel the need to be such a lousy host? Why can't you welcome discussion from fans of other schools? You are an insecure baby who brings nothing to this board except gambling odds. You are the one I wish would go away.
Mr. Calhoun, Roll Wave Roll!!! :D