Volleyball 2018

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
localvb
High Tide

First spring scrimmage was yesterday in the Hertz Center. What a great facility!
6 teams played including Tulane with 2 teams. Was incredible to see that much talent and depth in the spring. I’ve been in NOLA over 15 years and have never seen that before. The 2 freshmen who graduated in december and started at Tulane early this spring are going to be BIG TIME! The player from New York looks 6-4 and and can really hit it! The player from Florida is just 5’8 but jumps higher than anyone in the gym and is so fast!! The development of the returning players is really impressive in such a short time. Even with splitting the team Tulane won 13 of the 16 sets.
The team will have to overcome having so many freshmen and sophomores on the floor but man is the future bright!

Bigschtick
Riptide

Thank you for the report. Nice to have some optimism in a Tulane sport
for a change!
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
Show Me
Tsunami

Bigschtick wrote:Thank you for the report. Nice to have some optimism in a Tulane sport
for a change!
One more reason to be optimistic :)
https://youtu.be/kCT0Z23rcsc
dpm wave
Swell

Huh? Is Tulane playing oversees this year?
localvb
High Tide

Tulane sweeps all 4 matches today in Devlin against ULL and Nicholls. I only saw the 1st 2 matches before I had to go coach my club team. ULL is a good team that nearly won the Sunbelt last year and Tulane crushed them. The team continues to look very impressive. Looks like they are getting a really aggressive identity. So impressed with the incoming players!!
The team may be young this year but I predict they will win a lot of games.
DrBox
Riptide

Localvb, I noticed that assistant Meredith Schamun left. Any insight into the situation, her replacement, etc?
localvb
High Tide

Heard Meredith got the top assistant job at Villanova. I’m sure Coach Barnes will have many fine candates wanting to be on his staff.

Also, the team made some big strides this spring. I predict they will make the biggest jump by far in the AAC. Can’t wait to see the team in late August play at home!
localvb
High Tide

Some terrific recent news for the VB program. I heard who the new assistant is and I couldn’t be happier. Quality person and former great player at Tulane.

Also, I read on Prepvolleball.com that this 2018 class was ranked in the top 50 in the nation. Going to be some great talent joining the team with 5 signees.

The 2018 schedule looks really good hosting 2 tournaments and going to 2 Power 5 schools tournaments at Georgia Tech and Rutgers. Clemson and Villanova coming to NOLA!
Jaxwave
Swell

Can't believe how exciting it is to have a chance to have a pretty good volleyball team. Not trying to belittle the women or their sport (i have a daughter who played volleyball) but until Tulane gets the big sports right this is not going to move the donations needle for me.
localvb
High Tide

Jaxwave wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 4:52 am Can't believe how exciting it is to have a chance to have a pretty good volleyball team. Not trying to belittle the women or their sport (i have a daughter who played volleyball) but until Tulane gets the big sports right this is not going to move the donations needle for me.
Thanks for taking time and making such an intelligent thought out post.

Turn on the light in the room sometime and put away the whisky bottle.
Show Me
Tsunami

You gotta love social media! Two classic posts back to back!
:lol: :lol:
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

localvb wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 12:50 pm
Jaxwave wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 4:52 am Can't believe how exciting it is to have a chance to have a pretty good volleyball team. Not trying to belittle the women or their sport (i have a daughter who played volleyball) but until Tulane gets the big sports right this is not going to move the donations needle for me.
Thanks for taking time and making such an intelligent thought out post.

Turn on the light in the room sometime and put away the whisky bottle.
Jaxwave is DEAD ON ACCURATE.

Yes, we all want to win in all sports.

But Volleyball is a distant cousin to Football, men's and women's basketball, and even baseball. Yes, we want to win, but we could be national champions in volleyball and who would give a $hit compared to going 8-4 in football?
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
localvb
High Tide

Why would you come on a volleyball thread and post that is what is strange. It’s like I can hear your knuckles dragging the floor. WVB is now the top female sport being played by female athletes. We have a program ready to make some major noise. Now I know you may have not grown up with VB not being important in your section of the swamp and that’s ok. But if you take the time to come on a VB thread to talk about how other sports are more important, VB people would rather you just keep your lame ego filled comments on those threads.

Roll Wave in all sports.
wavemania
Surge

Well this may be Dannen's only great hire since coming to Tulane.
Show Me
Tsunami

wavemania wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 10:19 pm Well this may be Dannen's only great hire since coming to Tulane.
Except he was hired by Barbara Burke.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

localvb wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 7:08 pm Why would you come on a volleyball thread and post that is what is strange. It’s like I can hear your knuckles dragging the floor. WVB is now the top female sport being played by female athletes. We have a program ready to make some major noise. Now I know you may have not grown up with VB not being important in your section of the swamp and that’s ok. But if you take the time to come on a VB thread to talk about how other sports are more important, VB people would rather you just keep your lame ego filled comments on those threads.

Roll Wave in all sports.
Having a thread on the board does not make Women's Volleyball "the top female sport being played by female athletes". Women's basketball, and I'd argue softball, soccer, lacrosse and ice hockey are all played by more women athletes, and followed by MUCH larger audiences. I don't give a crap about what "VB people" think. Drag your knuckles on that.

Again, we all want women's volleyball to succeed. But don't over-rate where it stands in the pecking order.
Jaxwave
Swell

LVB, you know what, I will take your criticism and admit that maybe I was wrong to rain on your parade so I will apologize. I am a 1974 grad and a Tulane fan since mid sixties. It is just VERY frustrating that at this time women's volleyball is the sport we have to hang our hat on. My post was more an indictment of Tulane athletics rather than a belittling of volleyball. I should not have used your thread to make that point.
localvb
High Tide

Appreciate that Jax you are a standup guy and I do understand the local frustration with Tulane. But I see things changing across the board.

DFromCT if you look at national stats VB passed up WBB in 2014 as the top female team sport being played in the USA. And it’s rising almost 10x faster than any sport. It’s also the fastest growing spectator sport as well. (Nebraska avg 8500 fans a game). VB is not a hotbed in LA but it is blowing up around the nation and will get here to especially with a good program. My only motivation is to inform people because the VB community has been working on this around the nation for a while and its showing big time.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/197 ... rams-2010/
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

7.75 Million people attended women's D1 basketball games in 2017-18. The figures I found for D1 volleyball (admittedly are 2016-17) show that just barely over 2 million watched D1 women's volleyball..

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/w_volleyb ... Attend.pdf

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/w_basketb ... d/2017.pdf
localvb
High Tide

“Having a thread on the board does not make Women's Volleyball "the top female sport being played by female athletes". Women's basketball, and I'd argue softball, soccer, lacrosse and ice hockey are all played by more women athletes,”

So I proved to you that you were completely wrong. That volleyball is being played by more female athletes than all the team sports and your reply is to not even acknowldege it.

Going to have to end our conversation with this reply. I try to stay away from unreasonable people. Just here to give Tulane fans some good news.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

localvb wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 10:07 pm “Having a thread on the board does not make Women's Volleyball "the top female sport being played by female athletes". Women's basketball, and I'd argue softball, soccer, lacrosse and ice hockey are all played by more women athletes,”

So I proved to you that you were completely wrong. That volleyball is being played by more female athletes than all the team sports and your reply is to not even acknowldege it.

Going to have to end our conversation with this reply. I try to stay away from unreasonable people. Just here to give Tulane fans some good news.
Ok, so it's played by more than the other sports. I shouldn't have used the term "played" in the reply you quoted above. That was ignorant, I'll admit.

But is it WATCHED by more? Does it bring nearly the revenue? Does being played by so many make it the #1 women's sport? And since we were arguing two different points, isn't it ironic that, despite being played by so many women, it's dwarfed by women's basketball from an attendance standpoint.

I have always enjoyed your posts, localvb. I'm sorry if I rained on your parade. And yes, you may have proved me wrong, especially since I used the term "played". The other sports draw more but aren't as widely played. You won.
localvb
High Tide

Again you are wrong in your strange quest to belittle the sport volleyball. WBB averaged 1,538 fans a game. WVB averaged 1,145. Ahead of those other sports you mentioned. Also, what I'm pointing out is the trend over the last 5 years. VB attendance is growing the fastest and will pass up WBB within 5 years. Just like the participant numbers did.
As far as revenue. Another mistake by you. VB loses much less money than WBB. Only handful in each sport make money. WBB losses much more money.

WVB Is a great athletic sport. The #5 sport worlwide. Go watch 1 game this season and if you aren't very impressed with the athleticism and energy i'll buy you steak dinner.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

localvb wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 1:35 am Again you are wrong in your strange quest to belittle the sport volleyball. WBB averaged 1,538 fans a game. WVB averaged 1,145. Ahead of those other sports you mentioned. Also, what I'm pointing out is the trend over the last 5 years. VB attendance is growing the fastest and will pass up WBB within 5 years. Just like the participant numbers did.
As far as revenue. Another mistake by you. VB loses much less money than WBB. Only handful in each sport make money. WBB losses much more money.

WVB Is a great athletic sport. The #5 sport worlwide. Go watch 1 game this season and if you aren't very impressed with the athleticism and energy i'll buy you steak dinner.
You clearly didn't check the links I posted. 7.5 million people attended WBB games last season, compared to just over 2 million for WVB. TV viewership was equally skewered towards WBB.

I have absolutely nothing bad to say about the sport (WVB). Nothing. But I'd much rather go 8-4 in football than win a NC in volleyball. It's WAY more important, which has been what I've been trying to say all along. Enough.
DrBox
Riptide

Thanks for the updates, local.
I care about all Tulane sports. Yes some are more "important" in the grand scheme than others, I am interested in each.
Plese keep the updates coming.
localvb
High Tide

DfromCT wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 7:52 am
localvb wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 1:35 am Again you are wrong in your strange quest to belittle the sport volleyball. WBB averaged 1,538 fans a game. WVB averaged 1,145. Ahead of those other sports you mentioned. Also, what I'm pointing out is the trend over the last 5 years. VB attendance is growing the fastest and will pass up WBB within 5 years. Just like the participant numbers did.

You clearly didn't check the links I posted. 7.5 million people attended WBB games last season, compared to just over 2 million for WVB. TV viewership was equally skewered towards WBB.

I have absolutely nothing bad to say about the sport (WVB). Nothing. But I'd much rather go 8-4 in football than win a NC in volleyball. It's WAY more important, which has been what I've been trying to say all along. Enough.
Got it Capt O. Don’t think anyone ever said football wasn’t king. I love football and MBB and can’t wait till we are rocking in both soon!