Volleyball 2018

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
ccap05
Surge

This is really cool. I enjoy your VB notes and hope to take in a match when I get back to NOLA.

golfnut69
Wild Pelican

congrats to the young ladies !!!!
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
McWave
High Tide

Were does TUVB need to be (RPI?) to participate in a post season?

Glad to see this years success.
alumniwave
Low Tide

This is exactly what I thought this program would do when they hired Coach Barnes. Great recruiter along with Coach Yale and a great motivator x/0 coach.

This top 25 win could get them in the NCAA’s if they can win 5-6 of their last 7. They need to be in the top 55 rpi. Right now they are around 75. They are clearly in the NIT with this win.
So exciting to see!!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

alumniwave wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:42 pm
This top 25 win could get them in the NCAA’s if they can win 5-6 of their last 7. They need to be in the top 55 rpi. Right now they are around 75. They are clearly in the NIT with this win.
So exciting to seeing !!
It’s officially called the NIVC in Volleyball where 64 additional teams get in. So if your in the top 128 you’ll probably have a great chance at postseason. This is only the 2nd year of the NIVC. It started last November 2017.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I know little about volleyball, but imagine that any post season would be great for the women to grow into a contender on the national stage. We need the Athletics Department to promote vb more and start getting good crowds, and demand for a men's team. We have a great coach and should be able to do well with another great recruiting class.

ROLL WAVE!
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
galvezwave
Swell

Can’t thank these ladies enough. Just because you have Tulane across your chest doesn’t mean you have to lose. Proof
localvb
High Tide

tpstulane wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:56 am
So exciting to seeing !!
It’s officially called the NIVC in Volleyball where 64 additional teams get in. So if your in the top 128 you’ll probably have a great chance at postseason. This is only the 2nd year of the NIVC. It started last November 2017.
The NIVC only took 32 teams last year, the 1st year. The website says 48 teams this year.
I’m sure the team’s eyes are on the NCAA’s. But some tough games ahead so 1 thing at a time:)
Exciting!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

localvb wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:27 am
tpstulane wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:56 am
So exciting to seeing !!
The NIVC only took 32 teams last year, the 1st year. The website says 48 teams this year.
I’m sure the team’s eyes are on the NCAA’s. But some tough games ahead so 1 thing at a time:)
Exciting!

i got 64 from here:
https://volleyballmag.com/nivc/
COLUMBUS, Ohio — 64 more Division I teams just got the opportunity to play postseason volleyball.

Starting in November 2017, the National Invitational Volleyball Championship, which was announced Thursday at the AVCA Convention, will take the best team available from the 32 Division I conferences that did not get berths in the NCAA Tournament.
So if it’s 48 then that means 112 post season teams. We still should get in.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
localvb
High Tide

Just saw this on Twitter. Tulane VB was undefeated in October. Another program 1st.
They have a dangerous road trip to Houston and SMU this weekend. Going for win #8/9 I’m a row.
Roll Wave!
localvb
High Tide

Tulane Volleyball wins #8 in a row at Houston to up their record to 20-7.

They play SMU in Sunday and they are undefeated at home.
Keep Rolling Wave!!
Ruski
Swell

According to HeroSports, we're a good team in a mediocre conference:

UCF #27 (#23 by AVCA)
Cincy #39
Tulsa #72
Tulane #73
USF #96
SMU #128
UCONN #173
Houston #181
Temple #183
ECU #191
Memphis #196

Conference Rankings:
1 Pac-12
2 Big Ten
3 Big 12
4 SEC
5 WCC
6 ACC
7 Big West
8 MVC
9 The American
10 WAC

I know volleyball isn't a major sport by any means but there have definitely been times that I watch the SEC network for a bit to see them spandex shorts! Would be nice if the bottom half of the conference stepped up a bit.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Wow. Hard to believe as a conf we're below the MVC and Big West. I realize a lot of the west coast schools play VB pretty well, so not surprised to see the WCC there.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

congrats ladies.....on to SMU, the extension campus of Southwestern U here in Georgetown TX
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
localvb
High Tide

Ruski you cited an obscure source that’s so out of date they don’t even have Wichita State listed who has been innoir conference for 2 years.
The only rating system that matters for the NCAA is the RPI. Where UCF is #9,
UC #23, WSU #47, Tulsa #48 Tulane #74. And the AAC is the 7th rated conference in the country. Out of 32 conferences.

Also, to update you, Volleyball is the premier women’s sport played by more athletes than any other female team sport. (Including WBB). And in many areas dominates in attendance as well. It’s by far the hottest female sport as far as growth (not just spandex, knuckle dragger).
localvb
High Tide

Tulane VB has a huge test today at 1pm at SMU. SMU is undefeated at home. Tulane is rolling. Something has to give. Of their final 6 matches this is the 2nd toughest match left.
They get Cincinatti again on the road.

Roll Wave!
RobertM320
Green Wave

Just checked in on Twitter. Tulane has taken the first two sets against SMU, and is leading 17-12 in the third set. Let's hope they can close this out!
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
localvb
High Tide

Huge sweep 3-0 Vs SMU!!!!!!!

Puts Tulane in 3rd place and closer to the dance!!!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Damn....GREAT GOING LADIES !!!!!!!... I'm tellin' ya, these are great matches to go to...your kids or grandkids will love them
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Thanks for the update. Great to hear. Keep Rolling VB Wave.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
alumniwave
Low Tide

That’s another big time W.
This win in the metroplex area is not only a great W but for recruiting it will speak volumes. It was such a dominant win over SMU that many of the top players in the area will be impacted.
This is the hotbed of club volleyball and Coach Barnes and his staff just won some big recruiting wars down the road.
localvb
High Tide

Just watched the press conference from today. I agree with coach when he says that the gyms on the road are full and Devlin gym is empty and Tulane is having the historic season. This is one of the best teams ever to play at Tulane especially considering they are starting 4 freshmen.
This is a huge weekend for Tulane athletics. Great to see all the publicity. Hopefully there will be some full venues for Volleyball and Football.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I hope they are both filled too. Unfortunately they won't be. As for football the only time Yulman has been filled was the opening game. The last two wins have excited the few of us here but it hasn't gotten anyone else's attention. Homecoming usually draws a bigger than usual crowd but the pricing is keeping some away.

As for VB I'm not sure what's historic about it. The program had some success here and there but nothing big so it wouldn't take a lot to do better. More importantly I often wonder if we still have a sports information department. There has been nothing in the paper or on TV about this historic season. They could just send their game stories to the Advocate and ask them to print them as they do with other stories. In those cases the Advocate just list them as staff reports. This isn't a VB town. Plus I think they are going against the HS playoffs. They do get coverage in print and on TV. There's been no advertising that I'm aware of.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
localvb
High Tide

As far as “historic” there are several things this team has done for the first time:
Best record since joining the AAC.
Longest win streak ever in AAC.
First time going undefeated in October in history.
Highest ranked defense ever at #7 in the nation.
Most all conference weekly picks ever.
And more.
This all done with 4 freshmen in the starting lineup which make it that much more special in my opinion.

As far as media you are 100% correct. The TV ( sports news),Papers, all of it are pathetic. They barley even show football. It’s embarassing in fact. I asked the sports director at Tulane do they send in stories to the media and she said they did before and after every game but they won’t use them. The media just won’t do it. They are extremely lazy and just don’t show up.
Something has to change.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

localvb wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:25 pm As far as “historic” there are several things this team has done for the first time:
Best record since joining the AAC.
Longest win streak ever in AAC.
First time going undefeated in October in history.
Highest ranked defense ever at #7 in the nation.
Most all conference weekly picks ever.
And more.
This all done with 4 freshmen in the starting lineup which make it that much more special in my opinion.

As far as media you are 100% correct. The TV ( sports news),Papers, all of it are pathetic. They barley even show football. It’s embarassing in fact. I asked the sports director at Tulane do they send in stories to the media and she said they did before and after every game but they won’t use them. The media just won’t do it. They are extremely lazy and just don’t show up.
Something has to change.
What I mostly meant by asking what's historic is that nothing is out there to tell fans what's historic. I would add though that the things there are positives but using the term historic is overstating it and it causes credibility issues for you. Just as after the hot start to the season when the team wasn't doing so well not much of anything was heard and then when things start going well you're back. I'm not knocking you. I appreciate that this is your sport but just trying to give some constructive criticism. I pull for all of our programs. I've taken my daughter to some matches. I like the sport and coach it at the playground level.

As to how to increase attendance there's different things that can be tried. The players could self promote amongst their friends. The athletic department could spend some money running TV and radio ads. The AD could remind the sports editor at the Advocate that he works for a Tulane alum. The AD could meet with the owner and point out the issues face to face. I'm sure others will have more ideas. I doubt crowds will get much bigger this year but the team should obviously be even better next season so hopefully they come up with the right formula to promote it.