Spring Practice

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 12817
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:18 pm



High School Stadium Gets You High School Football
JerseyWave
Riptide
Posts: 3837
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:09 pm
Location: New Jersey
Status: Offline

Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:58 pm

The spring prospectus is available on the official website. It's fortunate that the true freshman QB is available for spring practice. At some point Banks will take a shot that forces him out of a game. It always happens to Tulane QBs. Daniels has to be ready to play. He should get plenty of reps this spring. Also, two of the freshman D-Lineman are in school and they will have to contribute early. Keep making progress in the weight room.

I also noticed there's lots of scholarship seniors on the roster. I count 20. Plus, Knighton is back for a second year as a grad transfer should help cover for Diaz leaving. Fritz should be able to sign another large class after next season hopefully ranked as good or better than the incoming class. We have to keep building and improving the talent and depth.

Since Tulane's March madness ended right away and Baseball is a dumpster fire, all we have is Spring Football and the hope that in 2018 the program will finally turn the corner.
golfnut69
Green Wave
Posts: 8230
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Offline

Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:02 pm

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
User avatar
RobertM320
Tsunami
Posts: 6752
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:18 pm
Location: Destrehan, LA
Contact:
Status: Offline

Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:59 pm

Both these kids graduated HS in 2017. Where have they been the past year?
"ASK AND YE SHALL RECEIVE! HANG EM AND BANG EM! HANG EM AND BANG EM!"-- Todd Graffagnini
golfnut69
Green Wave
Posts: 8230
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Offline

Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:31 pm

RobertM320 wrote:
Both these kids graduated HS in 2017. Where have they been the past year?
not sure where they have been, maybe they were enrolled at Tulane for the fall semester...they just graduated last June, so it has not been a year yet
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
golfnut69
Green Wave
Posts: 8230
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Offline

Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:33 am

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 12817
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:02 pm

High School Stadium Gets You High School Football
DfromCT
Tsunami
Posts: 6536
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:35 am

golfnut69 wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:
Both these kids graduated HS in 2017. Where have they been the past year?
not sure where they have been, maybe they were enrolled at Tulane for the fall semester...they just graduated last June, so it has not been a year yet
The point is that they graduated in the class of 2017. They weren't announced as signing LOI's. One is a 6'4" 185 lb linebacker/DE. The other listed JV Football for all four years of HS, though he also listed Varsity football for his Junior and Senior year.

Are these kids walk ons?

What's the deal, 'nut?
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
TXWave88
Surge
Posts: 505
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:58 am
Status: Offline

Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:02 am

I would think these kids are walk-ons. Maybe were already enrolled at Tulane as students.
winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 12817
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:12 pm

High School Stadium Gets You High School Football
winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 12817
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:13 pm

High School Stadium Gets You High School Football
winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 12817
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:52 pm

High School Stadium Gets You High School Football
User avatar
wave97
Swell
Posts: 1349
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:08 pm
Status: Offline

Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:17 pm

winwave wrote:Johnson coming on strong:

http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans/ ... 42852.html
Thank God we were able to get a couple of the young interior guys here for the spring. They need to get as many live reps in as possible between now & Wake Forest. The transition is waaay more mental than physical.
We couldn't have picked a better time to play against our only flex-bone team (Navy), for the last game. However, it will be very difficult to replicate what Navy is going to throw at them with our RPO scout team. They'll have to experience it for the first time themselves during the game. Whatever the line is for that game you may want to consider choosing Navy.
BTW, how many days are they in full gear for spring? IIRC, we were in shorts & pads for a day or two & it was full gear for the rest of spring with every drill live. Maybe it is good they aren't beating the stuffing out of each other as we used to have large bruises across our foreheads, an aversion to bright light and swollen tounges in the spring.
DfromCT
Tsunami
Posts: 6536
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:04 am

So, even though it's early, were the season to start next Saturday (or Thursday night) our backup QB would be Ledford. That's a QB that someone who is never wrong (in his own mind) has preached to us is not a D1 QB. That's scary (on both counts.)
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 12817
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:36 am

DfromCT wrote:So, even though it's early, were the season to start next Saturday (or Thursday night) our backup QB would be Ledford. That's a QB that someone who is never wrong (in his own mind) has preached to us is not a D1 QB. That's scary (on both counts.)
Happy Sunday to you too. Everybody left. We both agreed that Daniels looked like he played against very low level competition in HS and that is the case. So that leaves Ledford who the staff had already moved to WR.The staff also continues to mention his issues with his throwing motion. So yes we better hope and pray Banks can be our first QB in a long time to stay healthy and play every meaningful rep. Now back to your misery.
High School Stadium Gets You High School Football
DfromCT
Tsunami
Posts: 6536
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:45 am

winwave wrote:
DfromCT wrote:So, even though it's early, were the season to start next Saturday (or Thursday night) our backup QB would be Ledford. That's a QB that someone who is never wrong (in his own mind) has preached to us is not a D1 QB. That's scary (on both counts.)
Happy Sunday to you too. Everybody left. We both agreed that Daniels looked like he played against very low level competition in HS and that is the case. So that leaves Ledford who the staff had already moved to WR.The staff also continues to mention his issues with his throwing motion. So yes we better hope and pray Banks can be our first QB in a long time to stay healthy and play every meaningful rep. Now back to your misery.
I'm having a great St. Pat's weekend, I don't know what misery you refer to? But it's funny how you recognize your being described as the guy that never admits he's wrong.
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 12817
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:26 am

DfromCT wrote:
winwave wrote:
DfromCT wrote:So, even though it's early, were the season to start next Saturday (or Thursday night) our backup QB would be Ledford. That's a QB that someone who is never wrong (in his own mind) has preached to us is not a D1 QB. That's scary (on both counts.)
Happy Sunday to you too. Everybody left. We both agreed that Daniels looked like he played against very low level competition in HS and that is the case. So that leaves Ledford who the staff had already moved to WR.The staff also continues to mention his issues with his throwing motion. So yes we better hope and pray Banks can be our first QB in a long time to stay healthy and play every meaningful rep. Now back to your misery.
I'm having a great St. Pat's weekend, I don't know what misery you refer to? But it's funny how you recognize your being described as the guy that never admits he's wrong.
LOL. Your obsession with me is obvious to everyone. It kills you that I know what I'm talking about and your clearly miserable b/c of it. You really need to learn to deal with it better.
High School Stadium Gets You High School Football
User avatar
wave97
Swell
Posts: 1349
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:08 pm
Status: Offline

Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:00 am

Hey D,
If you do not identify as non-binary, your comments sure do!
DfromCT
Tsunami
Posts: 6536
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:41 pm

wave97 wrote:Hey D,
If you do not identify as non-binary, your comments sure do!
Nice try, but you incorrectly used your SAT word! :lol: :roll: :lol:
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
kingcole
Low Tide
Posts: 121
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:21 pm
Status: Offline

Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:24 pm

Before we pull the plug on Daniels he still has a lot of spring and summer workout to improve. Looking at recruiting sites theirs a lot of highly ranks kids in low classifications
winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 12817
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:16 pm

Nobody's pulling the plug on him. Just stating that he faced questionable competition and so this is a big step up for him. It's not so much about what classification he played in it's about how small his opponents seemed to be.
High School Stadium Gets You High School Football
galvezwave
Surge
Posts: 728
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:34 am
Status: Offline

Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:10 am

If I recall, banks didn’t exactly set the world on fire last spring. The reports weren’t glowing. It’s sort of an unorthodox system. Not gonna worry about a kid that should still be in high school a couple more months.
winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 12817
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:12 pm

High School Stadium Gets You High School Football
Bicoastalwave
Ripple
Posts: 97
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:24 am
Status: Offline

Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:03 am

Coach Fritz talks spring football, next years schedule, and a few other topics. I’ll take any coverage at this point Starts at 6 minutes and 39 seconds

http://www.wwl.com/media/audio-channel/ ... ball-slate
winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 12817
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:10 pm

High School Stadium Gets You High School Football
Post Reply