Honest question

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
rollinggreen
High Tide

Who still enjoys going to Tulane sporting events? I used to look forward to going to the games (Football, Basketball and Baseball), but hardly go anymore. It is not fun to watch your team constantly lose and give games away. The last winning record for the three sports mentioned was the 2016 baseball team. I refuse to purchase a ticket to any games and only go on a free ticket and that is more of hanging out with friends than watching the crap Tulane teams put out. Put me down as a long suffering fan that hit the end of his rope many years ago. Fire away!

Houma de Wave
Swell

I look forward to the Tulane-Purdue baseball game tomorrow night...period! Of course, I’m not happy with where we are. But, I’m not quitting and not looking for a free ticket.
Jaxwave
Swell

Hear you loud and clear Rolling. Looking at attendance figures for Tulane athletics, it appears that the question most Tulane fans would ask you is "What took you so long to come to your decision?"
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

This thread gets posted, by various soon to be dropping off the Tulane bandwagon posters about 3x per season. I hope the Administration takes note, as this is reflective of how on-field lack of success is killing our fan base.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
sader24
Tsunami

I am cautiously optimistic about football next season. I do have some level of anticipation for that. I currently have no excitement for the other two sports. Dunleavy took the job at 67, he will I believe be in his 3rd year at 70 yrs old next year. How many conference games does he need to win next season for his return to make sense and how many do we have hope of winning? It’s never a good sign when a team gets worse over the course of a season.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

sader24 wrote:I am cautiously optimistic about football next season. I do have some level of anticipation for that. I currently have no excitement for the other two sports. Dunleavy took the job at 67, he will I believe be in his 3rd year at 70 yrs old next year. How many conference games does he need to win next season for his return to make sense and how many do we have hope of winning? It’s never a good sign when a team gets worse over the course of a season.
Yep. In our last 13 games we won twice. ECU and USF two bottom dwellers.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Houma de Wave
Swell

sader24 wrote:I am cautiously optimistic about football next season. I do have some level of anticipation for that. I currently have no excitement for the other two sports. Dunleavy took the job at 67, he will I believe be in his 3rd year at 70 yrs old next year. How many conference games does he need to win next season for his return to make sense and how many do we have hope of winning? It’s never a good sign when a team gets worse over the course of a season.
Dunleavy is 63, will be 64 in 2 weeks. He won 6, then 14. He needs to win 18-19 next season. 20-+ would be nice.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

You're off on Dunleavy's age. He will be 64 on March 24th. I agree that we regressed as the season progressed. We also stole the 1st conference game of the season by hitting 19 of 20 free throws, a feat we never approached the rest of the year. But I credit Dunleavy for that free throw exhibition, and improving the team's shooting ability overall.
Wave755
Tsunami

Willie Fritz is the only good news, signing 20 three star recruits for football for 2018. We are ranked 67 overall, a very good ranking for a G5. https://247sports.com/Season/2018-Footb ... amRankings

Football is the engine that pulls the train for Div. 1 athletics (i.e. - Why Miami, Syracuse, Pittsburgh,Temple, Virginia Tech, and West Virginia all left the very excellent Big East Basketball Conference). While I love Tulane baseball, Cowen had everything ass-backwards for making baseball the predominate sport at Tulane for athletics.
galvezwave
Swell

Same. I’m not really sure if we got worse over the season or just didn’t play anybody early. We may have shot a little better. Conference play was bad. It’s a big boy basketball conference. We look like a sunbelt program trying to tread water in it. What bothers me the most is we played good basketball at the end of last season and nothing carried over. Weak schedule and hot 3 point shooting early was fools gold. I’m definitely looking forward to football, with the normal apprehension thrown in of course.
Wave755
Tsunami

rollinggreen wrote:Who still enjoys going to Tulane sporting events? I used to look forward to going to the games (Football, Basketball and Baseball), but hardly go anymore. It is not fun to watch your team constantly lose and give games away. The last winning record for the three sports mentioned was the 2016 baseball team. I refuse to purchase a ticket to any games and only go on a free ticket and that is more of hanging out with friends than watching the crap Tulane teams put out. Put me down as a long suffering fan that hit the end of his rope many years ago. Fire away!
Our 20-17 win over Houston @ Yulman last year was pure fun from start to finish. Hopefully Willie Fritz has more of that type of game in store for us in 2018. Another good recruiting year and we should be in the top echelon of the AAC for football.
Ruski
Swell

Wave755 wrote:
rollinggreen wrote:Who still enjoys going to Tulane sporting events? I used to look forward to going to the games (Football, Basketball and Baseball), but hardly go anymore. It is not fun to watch your team constantly lose and give games away. The last winning record for the three sports mentioned was the 2016 baseball team. I refuse to purchase a ticket to any games and only go on a free ticket and that is more of hanging out with friends than watching the crap Tulane teams put out. Put me down as a long suffering fan that hit the end of his rope many years ago. Fire away!
Our 20-17 win over Houston @ Yulman last year was pure fun from start to finish. Hopefully Willie Fritz has more of that type of game in store for us in 2018. Another good recruiting year and we should be in the top echelon of the AAC for football.
TOP ECHELON?!?!? What fantasy world are you living in?!?!

We didn't even make a bowl game last year! There are teams in this conference willing to fire coaches for getting 8 wins, we can't even get 6 in a good year.
Wave755
Tsunami

Ruski wrote:
Wave755 wrote:

We didn't even make a bowl game last year! There are teams in this conference willing to fire coaches for getting 8 wins, we can't even get 6 in a good year.
We would have had 8 wins but for the stupid safety in the Navy game, a missed field goal against Cincinnati and Banks not getting another inch against SMU. Apparently you werent paying attention last season. Willie Fritz is positioning us to dominate recruiting in Louisiana after LSU. Louisiana has more than enough talent for 2 top 25 teams; LSU top 10, Tulane top 25. After a 5 win season we just had one our best recruiting years since a Teevens class more than 20 years ago.
Ruski
Swell

Wave755 wrote:
Ruski wrote:
Wave755 wrote:

We would have had 8 wins but for the stupid safety in the Navy game, a missed field goal against Cincinnati and Banks not getting another inch against SMU. Apparently you werent paying attention last season. Willie Fritz is positioning us to dominate recruiting in Louisiana after LSU. Louisiana has more than enough talent for 2 top 25 teams; LSU top 10, Tulane top 25. After a 5 win season we just had one our best recruiting years since a Teevens class more than 20 years ago.
Every single division 1 football team has 5-6 woulda, coulda, shoulda games that are decided by 7 or less. The programs that matter find a way to win. Tulane always finds a way to lose.

You can say we were 9 points away from an 8 win season. But we were also 17 points away from a 2-10 season.

My point being that a top echelon team isn't grasping at straws to get to a bowl game, or even 8 wins. Top echelon teams in the AAC are ready to compete with the top p5 teams. UCF, Houston, Memphis, USF, we have a lot of work to get to that level.

That being said I do like the trajection of Fritz' program. But those teams are still a step or two above us.

And that's simply on the field. Talking fan support, facilities, exposure.....we got a ways to go.
Wave755
Tsunami

Ruski wrote:
Wave755 wrote:
Ruski wrote:
Wave755 wrote:

Every single division 1 football team has 5-6 woulda, coulda, shoulda games that are decided by 7 or less. The programs that matter find a way to win. Tulane always finds a way to lose.

You can say we were 9 points away from an 8 win season. But we were also 17 points away from a 2-10 season.

My point being that a top echelon team isn't grasping at straws to get to a bowl game, or even 8 wins. Top echelon teams in the AAC are ready to compete with the top p5 teams. UCF, Houston, Memphis, USF, we have a lot of work to get to that level.

That being said I do like the trajection of Fritz' program. But those teams are still a step or two above us.

And that's simply on the field. Talking fan support, facilities, exposure.....we got a ways to go.
This year we were ranked 3rd for AAC recruiting.
Next year will be every bit as good. It is all about recruiting, the local and state high school coaches are sold on Fritz. Louisiana is talent rich for football. We have more than enough in-state Louisiana talent after LSU for Tulane to have a top echelon AAC football program.

And, after all, we did sign 20 three star players this year! :megagrin:
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

galvezwave wrote: Same. I’m not really sure if we got worse over the season or just didn’t play anybody early. We may have shot a little better. Conference play was bad. It’s a big boy basketball conference. We look like a sunbelt program trying to tread water in it. What bothers me the most is we played good basketball at the end of last season and nothing carried over. Weak schedule and hot 3 point shooting early was fools gold. I’m definitely looking forward to football, with the normal apprehension thrown in of course.
Nothing carried over? Why did we start so hot? I think a lot carried over and the trip to Europe helped the team bond. Lack of depth caught up to the team. No excuses, but I do feel, like you, that ending the season like we did is a bigger disappointment than finishing stronger than we started, like we did last season.