Temple ends Tulane's season 82-77 in the AAC Tourney

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Show Me
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote:
Show Me wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
Where was Frazier a 4 star rated recruit? He was an under-recruited one-handed HS player. We only beat Temple to start the conference because we went 19-20 from the line, and shoved it down their throats when they tried to call timeouts and press us down a bucket or two at the end of the game.

You are VERY right about this team playing it's best well before the mid point of the season, and Frazier not looking anything like an NBA talent after his injury.
Frazier 4 star recruit
3rd best player in Louisiana.
Higgins High basketball star Melvin Frazier listed Arkansas, Oklahoma, LSU and Oklahoma State as his final four schools.
http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans/ ... 0f067.html
ESPN.com lists Frazier as a four-star recruit, ranking him as the third best prospect in Louisiana, with Rivals.com and 247Sports.com.
Thanks for "Showing me"!

Hard to believe, based upon what we saw his first two years, and the repeated comments that he couldn't go to his left, and shot the ball on the way down, that he was rated that high. But again, thanks for showing me! I still don't think he's NBA ready, or even close, though.
No problem. He had the skill set just needed to refine it. Same thing with the NBA. He’s not ready yet but must move forward to continue his development. He’s not going to gain anything hanging around a losing team for another year.

MicMan
Swell

The American is a tough conference and will send 3 teams to the NCAAs without UConn or Memphis doing anything.
anEngineer
Riptide

There has been a lot of assertion to the fact that we played better at mid season than at the end of the year. Somewhat true and it tends to coincide with Reynolds going stone cold and Frazier getting hurt. Is it fair to consider that as part of the reason? Dunleavy said before the season started that he hoped to win 15 games with the talent he had. He won 14. Is that a significantly wrong assessment.

For ANYBODY on this website to think they know more about basketball than Mike Dunleavy is absurdly laughable.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

The team gave the appearances of being a possible NIT team early on. Reynolds was playing well and Frazier had showed noticeable improvement. We then started conference play with a good win against Temple. We led from very early on and played well on both ends of the floor. Then teams started playing zone against us and it was our kryptonite. Yes Dunleavy had been away from college ball for a long time but his assistants certainly had experience with it. That was a major fail. Is MD so dominant he doesn't allow input from his assistants or are they that inept that they couldn't intercede? Either way it led to another losing season. We were able to play with most teams if they made the mistake of playing man against us. WSU made that mistake plus their best player was out ill.

We also lack talent across the board. Last year many were gushing over our new PG's but I was never sold on them. We need a major upgrade there. Cornish was ineffective as the SG. Supposedly we have a commit from a shooter. Have to hope that pans out.

Frazier may be gone at SF and there is no replacement on the team if he does leave. In the post Paul will give a good outing once in a great while and get hopes up that he's found himself but then he reverts to being completely lost out there. Sehic has some abilities but he he also has clear limitations athletically. Ajang and Koka are major projects. Ajang was completely exposed when we played Cincy. He's far away from being the answer down low.

We were lucky to get Daniels . He was a well regarded recruit who got hurt and fell between the cracks. I'm sure MD will put a laser focus on his development. Maybe he could be put at the point. Could be a candidate for our third straight Most Improved Player winner.

I hope he makes changes to his staff. He needs help with recruiting. I doubt it happens as it appears he thinks he can do it by himself. That doesn't bode well for the program. As noted by someone else above I refuse to compare this to last years 6 win debacle. That is the worst case of low bar syndrome. There was no excuse for it. Cornish , like Morgan, was reported to be the best player by far according to sources in the year he sat out. He wasn't even close. Same old same old. Unfortunately that appears like it will continue to be the programs story. Can only hope we get some openings and get some good recruits in here.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

anEngineer wrote:There has been a lot of assertion to the fact that we played better at mid season than at the end of the year. Somewhat true and it tends to coincide with Reynolds going stone cold and Frazier getting hurt. Is it fair to consider that as part of the reason? Dunleavy said before the season started that he hoped to win 15 games with the talent he had. He won 14. Is that a significantly wrong assessment.

For ANYBODY on this website to think they know more about basketball than Mike Dunleavy is absurdly laughable.
You know even when you make a good point it all gets wasted with your attacks on our fans. This is a fan forum. NO ONE HAS SAID THEY KNOW MORE THAN DUNLEAVY ABOUT BASKETBALL. NO ONE. Like I said it's a fan forum and people are going to give their well earned opinions on his performance. You've made it clear you can't handle that. That's your problem not ours.

I'll add this. All coaches know the game and can talk it till the cows come home. That doesn't mean they know how to coach a team and teach it how to take what they're told to the field or court. Yes MD won a coach of the year award. He also had a losing record in the NBA and now has one in college. He's got a lot to prove.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Pepper
Swell

I think Dunleavy maxed out the talent on the roster. Whether or not better talent can end up on campus remains to be seen. I will say the football program has improved each year WF has been here and Dunleavy got better in year 2. Baseball is heading in the opposite or at best stagnant position.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
Ruski
Swell

winwave wrote: I hope he makes changes to his staff. He needs help with recruiting. I doubt it happens as it appears he thinks he can do it by himself. That doesn't bode well for the program. As noted by someone else above I refuse to compare this to last years 6 win debacle. That is the worst case of low bar syndrome. Same old same old. Unfortunately that appears like it will continue to be the programs story. Can only hope we get some openings and get some good recruits in here.
+1

Desperately need some hunger young coaches to get after recruiting!

Ideal move would be to go find someone in D2 or minor conference and Tim Jankovich them. SMU paid Jank 700k to be head coach in waiting for 3 years, doubt we could afford that but something similar would fantastic.