Tulane Sweeps Wright State Series

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
RollWaveRoll
Low Tide

great weekend sweep! always good to sweep someone. Now lets go take the series from Ole Miss!

Really going to need our pitching to step up this weekend at ole miss. We gave up 16 walks which is 5/game. 2 walks per game too many. Need to keep it down to around 3 walks/game maximum if we want to be the team we want to be. Still on pace to have over 300 walks this year. last year we led the country and had 318 for reference.

Also Pitching staff had only 16K, so we K'd same amount of people we walked...5/game. As everyone knows this ideally needs to be 9/game roughly to be "in the running" for conference champions, world series etc. We need 3-4 more K's per game.

The positive from all this is our WHIP was only 1.3 due to wright state not getting very many hits, so our walks didn't really effect us like they probably could have. Our series ERA was 4.18. Wright State only hit .208 on the weekend. All that being said, if we give that many free passes a game to a great hitting team its going to very hard to win.

I really liked our competitiveness, we really had to scratch and claw to sweep and that was awesome to see. We really got a great look at alot of new arms to see how they'd perform under the lights. Will pay dividends next weekend. Pitchers need to do better job at holding the runners. Walking the leadoff hitter was tough on us all weekend. A couple of these guys would be hard pressed to see the mound as slow as they are to the plate under pierce as that was his big peave. Walks turning into doubles and triples. Add in that walks are what cost rick jones his health, would have a heart attack and start warming someone up after 1. lol Just a few thoughts i had, take them for what they're worth!!

Great start to the weekend and definitely looking on the up and up!
Last edited by RollWaveRoll on Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Houma de Wave
Swell

What happened Sunday was what we all hoped - that we would get some decent pitching that could beat their 3rd day pitching and our hitting came giving us a big win (Rowland and Hoese came through).
Show Me
Tsunami

Wright St may turn out to be garbage. We’ll have to wait and see on them. The real RPI test will be this weekend on the road in Oxford. Pierce beat them up there in a Regional last time we went up there so let’s do it again. Jones also had a lot of success in Oxford. Hopefully Jewett can follow along.
ccap05
Surge

Show Me wrote:Wright St may turn out to be garbage. We’ll have to wait and see on them. The real RPI test will be this weekend on the road in Oxford. Pierce beat them up there in a Regional last time we went up there so let’s do it again. Jones also had a lot of success in Oxford. Hopefully Jewett can follow along.
Wearing my always complaining hat, I am a bit disappointed for the sake of RPI that, so far, no team we have played has won so much as a single game. Taking a more logical view, I am not so unhappy about this fact.
anEngineer
Riptide

ccap05 wrote:
Show Me wrote:Wright St may turn out to be garbage. We’ll have to wait and see on them. The real RPI test will be this weekend on the road in Oxford. Pierce beat them up there in a Regional last time we went up there so let’s do it again. Jones also had a lot of success in Oxford. Hopefully Jewett can follow along.
Wearing my always complaining hat, I am a bit disappointed for the sake of RPI that, so far, no team we have played has won so much as a single game. Taking a more logical view, I am not so unhappy about this fact.
What are you talking about? We played 1 team 3 times and swept them. Of course "no team we have played has won so much as a single game". That's what happens when you sweep someone.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

anEngineer wrote:
ccap05 wrote:
What are you talking about? We played 1 team 3 times and swept them. Of course "no team we have played has won so much as a single game". That's what happens when you sweep someone.
That's the problem with words on an Internet bulletin board. There's no context. When I read ccap's post, I thought he was being sarcastic. Obviously you didn't read the sarcasm into the post. Who knows if I'm right or if he was being serious? Same holds true for the much maligned quote from Dunleavy a week or so ago about telling his players he wasn't here to get them fired up to play a game. No context, we really don't know what the message was.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

A sweep is a sweep. It’s was a nice accomplishment. We only had one all last season.
Beating the Rebels will be a large task. I’m excited about the series.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote:
anEngineer wrote:
ccap05 wrote:
That's the problem with words on an Internet bulletin board. There's no context. When I read ccap's post, I thought he was being sarcastic. Obviously you didn't read the sarcasm into the post. Who knows if I'm right or if he was being serious? Same holds true for the much maligned quote from Dunleavy a week or so ago about telling his players he wasn't here to get them fired up to play a game. No context, we really don't know what the message was.
I took ccaps post the same way D. As for MD's quote it was pretty straightforward and disturbing. He said he told them it was his job to give them a plan to win and it wasn't his job to motivate them or make them tough. The context is pretty clear.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

No, MD's message could have been along the lines of "You men are grown up enough that I shouldn't have to motivate you." We don't know. There is no context when words are in type on a web page. That is not even arguable.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote:No, MD's message could have been along the lines of "You men are grown up enough that I shouldn't have to motivate you." We don't know. There is no context when words are in type on a web page. That is not even arguable.
I'm sure that was the context and that makes it disturbing. That is part of any coaches job description at any level. It's just that basic. If he doesn't get that that is very disturbing.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote:
DfromCT wrote:No, MD's message could have been along the lines of "You men are grown up enough that I shouldn't have to motivate you." We don't know. There is no context when words are in type on a web page. That is not even arguable.
I'm sure that was the context and that makes it disturbing. That is part of any coaches job description at any level. It's just that basic. If he doesn't get that that is very disturbing.
Again, that IN AND OF ITSELF may have been meant to motivate. No context.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one.
ccap05
Surge

DfromCT wrote:
anEngineer wrote:
ccap05 wrote:
I was trying to be sarcastic and funny. I should leave humor to the pros. Mea culpa. In my defense, however, is the fact that, as with most of my most amazing posts, I had a few cocktails before posting this jewel of an attempt at comedy.

To be very clear- I am thrilled that Wright State is currently winless.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

No need for apologies . It came through pretty well.
McWave
High Tide

Well Wright State is no longer winless. They beat ULL tonight 8-2.
Show Me
Tsunami

McWave wrote:Well Wright State is no longer winless. They beat ULL tonight 8-2.
ULL 1-4 now. Where’s our resident Cajun?
McWave
High Tide

Tulane RPI (Warren Nolan) up to 12. I know very early and not very relevant but nice to see none the less.
exflash
High Tide

Ahhhhhhhuu...we still have a 5k crowd .......lbut ahhhhhhhhh......hope some of you can come to the greenies' game against Louisiana.......I am swapping off a Tulane suite for a Cajun club room night!!!
pansdad
Ripple

And just how many Louisianas will that be? ULL, ULM, LSU, SWLa, NELa, etc. CAN the Louisiana and be happy to be the Rajin Cajuns, which is unique and implies a lot of pride. Trying to be Louisiana is silly and self defeating.
pansdad
Ripple

And I almost forgot The Tulane University of Louisiana.