Tulane escapes ECU 71-69

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Looking for a solution:

http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans/ ... 6da14.html

The game is at 5:30 on Wednesday on ESPNews .ECU was picked 11th in the conference.
Last edited by winwave on Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Wave755
Tsunami

Line opens Wave 5.5 pts. > E. Carolina (Rotation nos. 717-718 for Vegas Sheet).

O/U 146

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-bas ... las-vegas/

How anybody goes about setting a line on this team confounds me?
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Wave755 wrote:Line opens Wave 5.5 pts. > E. Carolina (Rotation nos. 717-718 for Vegas Sheet).

O/U 146

Yea that line is crazy. I’d have it “pick it” especially being on the road.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Wave755
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote:
Wave755 wrote:Line opens Wave 5.5 pts. > E. Carolina (Rotation nos. 717-718 for Vegas Sheet).

O/U 146

And, since opening it has now only gone down one point to 4.5 pts.? How anybody can take us on the road and give ECU 4.5 pts. amazes me? But, let's hope the Tulane Dr. Jekyll rather than the Tulane Mr. "I cant hit the side of a Barn" Hyde shows up for this game. ;)
winwave
Top of the WAVE

ECU is just that bad. Their coach was already let go during the season. We are up and down but we've done better than them.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Up 39-28 at the half. Should be more if we could hit FT's. Was close and back and forth and we finally started asserting ourselves.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

An ugly first half until the Wave took over later in the first half. Frazier cannot be stopped. The shots aren't falling, but they're taking it to the rim and getting a lot of points that way. Tulane up 39-28 at the half.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
AugWave
Swell

I've never seen so many missed easy looks than with this team.
I don't yell. I don't scream. I don't argue. I just hit 'em over the head with a bottle.
Jaxwave
Swell

I’m not sure in the history of man that there has been a worse zone offense played than this team plays night after night. They are a bad shooting team and just keep jacking up 3s. Obviously Dunleavy has no solution or we’d have seen this 10 games ago. Recruiting shooters is only answer.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Wave755 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:

O/U 146

And, since opening it has now only gone down one point to 4.5 pts.? How anybody can take us on the road and give ECU 4.5 pts. amazes me? But, let's hope the Tulane Dr. Jekyll rather than the Tulane Mr. "I cant hit the side of a Barn" Hyde shows up for this game. ;)
Like I said “pick it”
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:Up 39-28 at the half. Should be more if we could hit FT's. Was close and back and forth and we finally started asserting ourselves.
They have missed more FT’s at the end ECU 7/14 TU 12/18 they are terrible. Hard to believe we had to win in OT with this opponent.
Tulane Class of 1981
Jaxwave
Swell

Ok coach explain having no bigs back to deflect ball and having a foul to give and not instructing guys to foul on the catch.
Of course the ECU player pushed off Cornish to give him the ability to catch the ball and get it up.
Somebody please point out to me where Dunleavy excels at coaching. Certainly not recruiting, not offensive basketball, not defending the rim.
oliveandblue
Surge

Dunleavy doesn't know how to motivate college players. He can coach, but this team has awful body language, effort levels, and just doesn't look interested in every game.
Jaxwave
Swell

I see a banked three for loss.
Jaxwave
Swell

Terrible playing and coaching by both teams.”
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Jaxwave wrote:Ok coach explain having no bigs back to deflect ball and having a foul to give and not instructing guys to foul on the catch.
Of course the ECU player pushed off Cornish to give him the ability to catch the ball and get it up.
Somebody please point out to me where Dunleavy excels at coaching. Certainly not recruiting, not offensive basketball, not defending the rim.
I was shocked they didn’t just grab someone in regulation we only had 5 fouls at that point.
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

I agree with most of the previous post...questionable coaching regarding the use of available fouls...questionable substitutions.......In college ball, it seems MD is learning on the job...that said, let's face it , there are only about 3 players that should be playing at this level of competition ...but a W is a W no matter how ugly
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Top of the WAVE

We tried hard to lose it but thank goodness they are so bad. Still clueless against the zone.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:Up 39-28 at the half. Should be more if we could hit FT's. Was close and back and forth and we finally started asserting ourselves.
They have missed more FT’s at the end ECU 7/14 TU 12/18 they are terrible. Hard to believe we had to win in OT with this opponent.
I made that post in reference to the first half. We kept missing the front end of one and one's that could have stretched the lead.

At the end of regulation we again missed the front end of a one and one which would have iced the game. Then we missed the front end in OT to give them a chance to win or tie but Frazier got the steal.

We agree that ECU is terrible I posted that early in the thread.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

but a road W is a road W....number 15 West Virginia went on the road tonite to play Iowa State, unranked and 11-9 on the season and got beat by 20....
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Houma de Wave
Swell

I’m glad ECU lost.
OUG
Riptide

This is always the part of the basketball season where weird things happen. The teams that stay consistent are the teams that will be good in March. This is truly the dog days of the conference season. Midweek road games are tough, and it’s hard to stay consistent week in and week out. Guys are getting tired. Not just for us, for everyone. Usually by around the second week of February you start to see more consistency in results.

We aren’t a great team, but I think we can still make a run to get in the top 100 of the RPI and use this season as a stepping stone.

Cincy has really impressed me with their consistency in this stretch. Their win on the road at Memphis in particular was impressive in what I thought would be a clear let down spot. They could be the real deal this year, a final four type team. Wichita appears to be playing better. I think Houston is probably a tournament team and SMU needs another big win or two. After that, nothing in this league makes sense. There is a big muddled middle of decent but not good teams. We play a lot of these coming down the stretch, and need to get up for these games.
anEngineer
Riptide

Jaxwave wrote:Ok coach explain having no bigs back to deflect ball and having a foul to give and not instructing guys to foul on the catch.
Ok, you think Dunleavy has no idea what he's doing. Can you please tell me who you think Tulane could get that is better than Dunleavy?
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Recruiting: Remains to be seen, don't discount the kid from Hargrave Military Academy, he'll be a 19 year old Freshman, ready to contribute.
Coaching: If you don't see improvement in individual players, wake up. And if you didn't notice, they couldn't foul because two Tulane players collided and were falling away from the guy that threw in the prayer.
Defending the rim: great point, I agree.

I get a chuckle out of fans that ask a question as if they know more about how the play should have been defended than the coach whose lived the game for 50 years and is CLEARLY improving this team. We all knew coming into the season when we make our shots we can compete with anyone in the league. When we're cold, and we're cold against the zone for some reason, we can be beat by any team.

A conference win I'll take, especially on the road. Remember, we've sucked in conference for so long getting to .500 in conference would be a big step up.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
winwave
Top of the WAVE

OUG wrote:This is always the part of the basketball season where weird things happen. The teams that stay consistent are the teams that will be good in March. This is truly the dog days of the conference season. Midweek road games are tough, and it’s hard to stay consistent week in and week out. Guys are getting tired. Not just for us, for everyone. Usually by around the second week of February you start to see more consistency in results.

We aren’t a great team, but I think we can still make a run to get in the top 100 of the RPI and use this season as a stepping stone.

Cincy has really impressed me with their consistency in this stretch. Their win on the road at Memphis in particular was impressive in what I thought would be a clear let down spot. They could be the real deal this year, a final four type team. Wichita appears to be playing better. I think Houston is probably a tournament team and SMU needs another big win or two. After that, nothing in this league makes sense. There is a big muddled middle of decent but not good teams. We play a lot of these coming down the stretch, and need to get up for these games.
There may be something to that but it doesn't really apply here. Since January 20th we have only played two games. We had 4 days off before the USF game and 5 days off before this game. We should have been ready for both.