Tulane escapes ECU 71-69

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I don't think we came out unprepared, which is what "not ready" really means. We just freak out against the zone, and for some reason our interior ball movement becomes sloppy and we don't hit our jumpers. It's a mystery why this team can't figure it out. But I again say Dunleavy knows more about the game than the group of us posting collectively. The team looked great for a 6-7 minute stretch in the first half. Other than that they looked very pedestrian. The style of play looks ugly when we're heaving up shots with 20-25 seconds on the shot clock and they're bricks. It looks great when they're knocking the bottom out of the nets.

" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Wave755
Tsunami

For the big picture:
Last year we were 3-15 in conference.

This year we are 4-5 in conference with 9 conference games left to go.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Wave755 wrote:For the big picture:

Thank you for a voice of sanity. If you told me before the season started that we had a shot at 9-9 or even 8-10 in conference, I would have signed on in a heartbeat. This is a much improved, though still flawed, team.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Aberzombie1892
Swell

DfromCT wrote:

Thank you for a voice of sanity. If you told me before the season started that we had a shot at 9-9 or even 8-10 in conference, I would have signed on in a heartbeat. This is a much improved, though still flawed, team.
I agree. The team is getting better, and, if it makes a similar jump between this season and next season that it did between last season and this season, it should actually be pretty good next season.
RobertM320
Green Wave

DfromCT wrote:

Which is what many of us said at the beginning of the season. Most of us predicted 7-8 conf wins this year and looking at roughly 16 wins. We're at 13-8 right now, with 9 games left. How can anyone look at the big picture and say we're not where they expected us to be? Anyone that thought we were going from 6-25 to 22-8 in one year is just plain delusional. Can it be done? Yes, IF you land that transcendant 5 star like an Anthony Davis or a Joel Embid. We didn't add a player like that this offseason.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Jaxwave wrote:I’m not sure in the history of man that there has been a worse zone offense played than this team plays night after night. They are a bad shooting team and just keep jacking up 3s. Obviously Dunleavy has no solution or we’d have seen this 10 games ago. Recruiting shooters is only answer.
Great point, Jax. We're not a good enough shooting team to beat a zone from outside. But Dunleavy doesn't seem to know how to attack a zone defense. You can attack a zone either with the pass or dribble, but we don't do either. I suppose all his years in the NBA didn't do anything for him when it comes to attacking zone defenses. When I used to coach basketball, I loved attacking zone defenses--always an intellectual challenge. I always preferred to attack them with the dribble.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Maybe I missed something but I didn't see anybody in this thread say we aren't going to wind up where we initially thought we would. Seems to me that people are just discussing the subpar performance in this game against a really bad team which is what should be talked about in the game thread. Those posters seem to be on point. Not sure where others are coming from. I also must have missed where people were expecting us to get to 22 wins this year.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

This W was as ugly as those damn Uni's...but a W, is a W...no matter how appearance impaired
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
IM42lane
Swell

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
Wave755 wrote: For the big picture:

This year we are 4-5 in conference with 9 conference games left to go .
Thank you for a voice of sanity. If you told me before the season started that we had a shot at 9-9 or even 8-10 in conference, I would have signed on in a heartbeat. This is a much improved, though still flawed, team .
I agree. The team is getting better, and, if it makes a similar jump between this season and next season that it did between last season and this season, it should actually be pretty good next season.
The W/L numbers prove that this team is better under Mike D. Tulane is not going to find a better hoops coach than him. I will take an 8-10 conference record right now, and wait to see how these guys do in the AAC tournament. There is still room for improvement, but hoops is definitely better around here.

Just PLEASE DO NOT say that the Mardi Gras Unis made the difference ! Execution of basketball fundamentals is what wins games, not the color of some alternative uniform.

Of course, please realize that if they continue to win in those duds, I will jump on the M/G uniform bandwagon in a heartbeat. I am just as superstitious as the rest of you clowns!
Regards,
"Pete" Madere
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

IM42lane wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
Wave755 wrote: For the big picture:

This year we are 4-5 in conference with 9 conference games left to go .
Thank you for a voice of sanity. If you told me before the season started that we had a shot at 9-9 or even 8-10 in conference, I would have signed on in a heartbeat. This is a much improved, though still flawed, team .
The W/L numbers prove that this team is better under Mike D. Tulane is not going to find a better hoops coach than him. I will take an 8-10 conference record right now, and wait to see how these guys do in the AAC tournament. There is still room for improvement, but hoops is definitely better around here.

Just PLEASE DO NOT say that the Mardi Gras Unis made the difference ! Execution of basketball fundamentals is what wins games, not the color of some alternative uniform.

Of course, please realize that if they continue to win in those duds, I will jump on the M/G uniform bandwagon in a heartbeat. I am just as superstitious as the rest of you clowns!
I think it was the "Old Perfesser", who once said " if you look like a clown, you'll play like one"
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Pepper
Swell

Any win is good with the lack of talent we have.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.