Houston Game Thread

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

That was fun. Led for most of the game. Maddeningly inconsistent but this will keep our fans coming.

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
galvezwave
Swell

GreenLantern wrote:
galvezwave wrote:Frazier having a horrible night.
Very disappointed that Frazier continued to run his mouth and suffered the ejection. That could have lost the game.

In any case, GREAT WIN and ROLL WAVE! Let's go beat SMU at their house!
Looked like a chicken s*** call . You're telling me players don't talk? It's not like they were near coming to blows.
galvezwave
Swell

I want to add that the rebounding effort in the 2nd half was outstanding. Complete turnaround
capwave
High Tide

Great win. Coach Dunleavy is doing a hell of a job. But the lack of ability to rebound is going to come back and haunt us in many games
capwave
High Tide

galvezwave wrote:I want to add that the rebounding effort in the 2nd half was outstanding. Complete turnaround
It was definitely better than the first half but that’s not saying much.
galvezwave
Swell

capwave wrote:
galvezwave wrote:I want to add that the rebounding effort in the 2nd half was outstanding. Complete turnaround

Houston had 2 offensive rebounds in the 2nd half.
Ruski
Swell

capwave wrote:Great win. Coach Dunleavy is doing a hell of a job. But the lack of ability to rebound is going to come back and haunt us in many games
Already has. Could easily have 3 less losses
Houma de Wave
Swell

We’re back to the middle of the pack in the AAC tied for 5th with UConn, SMU and UCF.
Ruski
Swell

Houma de Wave wrote:We’re back to the middle of the pack in the AAC tied for 5th with UConn, SMU and UCF.
Sure is a wild conference this year! Hopefully we can end our Jekyll and Hyde routine sooner rather than later.
Ruski
Swell

https://twitter.com/FearTheWaveBlog/sta ... 9278302208
swampnik
Surge

Bring on those Ponies! Saddle up boys!
nic, nic, nic, swamp!
-Jack N. (Easy Rider)
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

The adjustments from the first half to the second half were obvious: Tulane prevented Houston from dominating the offensive glass after getting schooled on the boards in the first half. Also, after an horrible first half at the line, Tulane was something like 12 of 15 in the second half. I was concerned that missed FTs was going to cost us the game.

Good to see us win a game without much from Frazier, whom was ejected on a bogus call.

Also, was pleasantly surprised by the crowd, in light of the weather. Can anyone argue that Dunleavy was a bad hire by Dannen? This team is sure a lot more fun to watch than the previous regime, and WAY more fun than expected coming off a 6 win 2016-17 season.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Pepper
Swell

galvezwave wrote:
GreenLantern wrote:
Very disappointed that Frazier continued to run his mouth and suffered the ejection. That could have lost the game.

Looked like a chicken s*** call . You're telling me players don't talk? It's not like they were near coming to blows.
It was. The ref wanted to become part of the game.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
GreenLantern
Riptide

Pepper wrote:
galvezwave wrote:
GreenLantern wrote:

It was. The ref wanted to become part of the game.
I could not attend the game due to road closures so I did not see the encounter. Listening to the radio, Graf said repeatedly "there's a lot of unnecessary talking going on", and finally "Frazier needs to quit talking". After the ejection, a very frustrated Graf remarked (I'm paraphrasing) that "our players need to contain their emotion" and "this unnecessary display could cost us the game."

The refs were obviously calling the game closely (5 fouls in 30 seconds?) but it sounded as if Frazier could have walked away and spared the team from what could have been a disaster.

Was anyone there who saw the exchange?
JerseyWave
Riptide

Watching the game on my ESPN app last night, the inside of Fogleman looked like it did in the early nineties. Great win against a quality opponent. Daniels is a special player. We're at 12-6, I think 19 wins is the magic number for an NIT bid.
sader24
Tsunami

In response to Frazier’s ejection, I’m pretty positive I saw Cornish walk over to Dunleavy and tell him to get Frazier out the game after the 1st technical. I thought the game was very well coached, but in high school and college you need to get a guy who gets a technical out the game for awhile if for no other reason than to protect him from himself.
galvezwave
Swell

sader24 wrote:In response to Frazier’s ejection, I’m pretty positive I saw Cornish walk over to Dunleavy and tell him to get Frazier out the game after the 1st technical. I thought the game was very well coached, but in high school and college you need to get a guy who gets a technical out the game for awhile if for no other reason than to protect him from himself.
If that is the case, no player wants to be forced out of a game in crunch time so hopefully he learns from it. Marvelous Melvin does have some maturity issues at times, but at the same time, he had the self decipline to realize his shots weren't falling and those 4 assists were huge and timely down the stretch. That can be a difficult thing for a teams leading scorer. A lot of things go down on the court unnoticed, maybe the Houston player was no angel either. Hopefully Frazier takes it as a learning experience.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Pepper
Swell

sader24 wrote:In response to Frazier’s ejection, I’m pretty positive I saw Cornish walk over to Dunleavy and tell him to get Frazier out the game after the 1st technical. I thought the game was very well coached, but in high school and college you need to get a guy who gets a technical out the game for awhile if for no other reason than to protect him from himself.
From my vantage point, there was shit-talking for most of the game by both squads. Why wait till that late in the game to want to start policing the action. And by the way neither player was physical with the other.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

JerseyWave wrote:Watching the game on my ESPN app last night, the inside of Fogleman looked like it did in the early nineties. Great win against a quality opponent. Daniels is a special player. We're at 12-6, I think 19 wins is the magic number for an NIT bid.
Watching on my TV, I saw plenty of good seats available. We haven't sold the place out and made it packed and a true home court advantage in a very long time. But it was a good crowd, especially given the weather. And they made some noise, too! Maybe the Tulane community is picking up on the fact that this is not a CowDick Tulane Basketball program any more.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

We have been getting good attendance the whole time the students have been gone. It was certainly understandable that many didn't show last night with all the road closures. We'll continue to have good crowds. Now if we start a winning streak we could see it filled before the season is over.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

capwave wrote:
We outrebounded them overall in the game. That means we were + 13 in the second half. And after getting 15 offensive rebounds in the first half (including 5 on one possession) they got 1 in the second half.
RobertM320
Green Wave

DfromCT wrote:
JerseyWave wrote:Watching the game on my ESPN app last night, the inside of Fogleman looked like it did in the early nineties. Great win against a quality opponent. Daniels is a special player. We're at 12-6, I think 19 wins is the magic number for an NIT bid.
Watching on my TV, I saw plenty of good seats available. We haven't sold the place out and made it packed and a true home court advantage in a very long time. But it was a good crowd, especially given the weather. And they made some noise, too! Maybe the Tulane community is picking up on the fact that this is not a CowDick Tulane Basketball program any more.
Dont forget, it was a black out, so it was hard to tell what was seats and what was people. The noise is a better indication I would think.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
Dont forget, it was a black out, so it was hard to tell what was seats and what was people. The noise is a better indication I would think.
I'm watching on the DVR as I did last night after refereeing two hockey games. There's plenty of empty seats, unless there's people dressed as chairbacks. The announced crowd was 2500, "official capacity" is 4100, though most of us know it's really about 3500. So the place was roughly 60-70% full, not bad on a night where the weather was a big part of the story.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Before RD started the lie of 4,000 capacity it was listed at 3,200 after the last renovation. The crowd was announced as 2,300. The announced numbers are getting more legit as we are getting more people there.