Junior Diaz Gone

The board for former Green Wave players and coaches.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Biggest loss of the offseason. This creates a big hole in the middle of the O-Line. Diaz was instrumental in calling out the blocking assignments. We better coach someone up quickly to replace him. I wonder where he'll go for his PG year?
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

DfromCT wrote:Biggest loss of the offseason. This creates a big hole in the middle of the O-Line. Diaz was instrumental in calling out the blocking assignments. We better coach someone up quickly to replace him. I wonder where he'll go for his PG year?
Dain... Huge loss. He has been the most consistent linemen on a turnstile o-line.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

The young man earned two degrees in his 4 years.. Congrats, and the best of everything Life has to offer !!...time to go looking for a "Grad Transfer"
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Top of the WAVE

No doubt it's a loss at a critical position. As we all know the two most important linemen are the center and LT. Leglue started there two seasons ago when Diaz got hurt early in the year. This is a critical year for the program. It seems you'd move him there again. Tyler Johnson and McCleod have been battling it out at LT. Pick the best one and let him stay there and move the other to RT. The staff has been disappointed in Briggs.Hopefully Granier can win that spot. Let Briggs be the backup at center and guard. We'll need Claypool to step it up and provide depth at tackle.

Besides the personnel loss here it is also concerning that he would leave now when we all think next year is the year we break through. If Atkins had left maybe I could understand but he stayed. Does he not believe in the staff? Did he have a falling out with the staff? Just doesn't make sense b/c by all accounts he was very much a team guy. seems like he'd want to be here for the payoff if he believed it was going to happen.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
greenphantom
Swell

Dang. Tough Loss. Maybe we can go without a center and have Lindsey Scott just snap the ball to himself next year.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Again, unless we know the real inside story, it's hard to not make something up and think that's the reason for the young man's decision to leave after 4 years and two degrees. It could be that he wants to experience something else from a football standpoint, or it could be that he wants a graduate degree in a program Tulane doesn't offer. Or he could have had a falling out with the coaches. Or he could want to play close to home/further from home/anywhere different.

He gave us four solid years, and played through injuries. I wish Junior the best.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Duh. Again, that's why these fan forums exist.We want to know. We'll never know the real story and are left to speculate.
Ruski
Swell

This stinks. Very rare for underclassmen o-line to play at a high level. I generally rate the older a line, the better.

Who all will be coming back now with any experience?
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Leglue,Johnson,McCleod,Briggs,Dublin ,Brown and Knighton all have experience.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote:Leglue,Johnson,McCleod,Briggs,Dublin ,Brown and Knighton all have experience.
I didn't know Knighton has another year left, but he does. A rare grad student that didn't have to sit out and had two years eligibility when he got here. We'll need some of these guys to step up, but we already knew that. Keeping Banks healthy will be extremely important for our chances of a successful season. The O Line has to improve to do so.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I can't think of the name of the QB but there's one that actually graduated and had 3 years of eligibility left. I think next season is his last one. Talk about rare.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
wave97
Swell

If he's considering the NFL as an option, transferring to a pro scheme offense for his 5th year is a very smart move.
Good luck Junior. I wish you nothing but the best!
nawlinspete
Riptide

wave97 wrote:If he's considering the NFL as an option, transferring to a pro scheme offense for his 5th year is a very smart move.
Perhaps our FB program needs to acknowledge that we will be much more likely to attract better QB talent with a switch to a pro scheme....
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
galvezwave
Swell

nawlinspete wrote:
wave97 wrote:If he's considering the NFL as an option, transferring to a pro scheme offense for his 5th year is a very smart move.
Perhaps our FB program needs to acknowledge that we will be much more likely to attract better QB talent with a switch to a pro scheme....
Our last 2 coaches ran pro schemes. Tulane can't get the linemen. Need More read option, less triple. I think that's where we're headed.
RobertM320
Green Wave

galvezwave wrote:Our last 2 coaches ran pro schemes. Tulane can't get the linemen. Need More read option, less triple. I think that's where we're headed.
I think so as well, based on the QBs we're offering.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Aberzombie1892
Swell

RobertM320 wrote:
galvezwave wrote:Our last 2 coaches ran pro schemes. Tulane can't get the linemen. Need More read option, less triple. I think that's where we're headed.
I think so as well, based on the QBs we're offering.
Exactly. If Tulane ran a pro-style scheme, it could get solid QB players, but Tulane probably would not win enough games since it could not compete without the linemen. Plus, even if Tulane had a spread scheme, unless the QB is an elite passer like Mason Rudolph, Tulane would still lose games unless its QB could run, and that's just not something pro-style QBs generally do well.
anEngineer
Riptide

Since 11:10 AM CST, the top three threads on this site are referencing players who are not part of Tulane Athletics (1 recently, 1 for a long time and 1 never). Isn't there something better to discuss?
Aberzombie1892
Swell

anEngineer wrote:Since 11:10 AM CST, the top three threads on this site are referencing players who are not part of Tulane Athletics (1 recently, 1 for a long time and 1 never). Isn't there something better to discuss?
To be fair, 2/3 are either directly or indirectly related to how good Tulane will be in 2013. Diaz directly, since he was the starting Center, and Scott indirectly, as Tulane will need an experienced backup QB due to both the defections due to the pursuit of Scott and Scott's shunning of Tulane.

QB Daniels may be good, and he will have spring practice to get better, but it's unlikely that he would be ready to compete in the AAC West in the fall if his name is called, especially if he has to do so behind a Center other than Diaz.
ajcalhoun
Swell

anEngineer wrote:Since 11:10 AM CST, the top three threads on this site are referencing players who are not part of Tulane Athletics (1 recently, 1 for a long time and 1 never). Isn't there something better to discuss?
Still better than talking about volleyball, IMO.
God Bless Everyone!
nawlinspete
Riptide

Let us not forget that we can 'thank' three clowns that never should have been here: Cow, Dick , and CJ....
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
wave97
Swell

Aberzombie1892 wrote:

To be fair, 2/3 are either directly or indirectly related to how good Tulane will be in 2013. Diaz directly, since he was the starting Center, and Scott indirectly, as Tulane will need an experienced backup QB due to both the defections due to the pursuit of Scott and Scott's shunning of Tulane.

QB Daniels may be good, and he will have spring practice to get better, but it's unlikely that he would be ready to compete in the AAC West in the fall if his name is called, especially if he has to do so behind a Center other than Diaz.[/quote]
Pursuing Scott was enough to scare away qb's? Let the little flowers blossom elsewhere .
There are many o-linemen who are cut from NFL for the only reason of having played in an RPO scheme. If there are enough cheap o-lineman from pro-schemes to serve as backup, it is a no brainer.