Final: UCONN 67, Tulane 57

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
GreenLantern
Riptide

At courtside today was UCONN alum and very distinguished guest, Scott Cowen. Guess that was enough to jinx things.

netshorty
Surge

NOLABigSteve wrote:First basketball game I've made since Dunleavy has been the coach.

1. We have no inside game. We don't even want to try and draw the foul.
2. Defense 99% NEVER uses their hands. Get in the opponents face, make yourself taller, move them around, something. We just stare at the opponent.

Both of these are BASKETBALL 101. Disturbing.
Hands up on D is a great observation. Here's what I find disturbing from the coaching side:

1. Dunleavy's use of his current roster. Cornish is a liability while Daniels appears to be the future. The fact that Cornish continues to receive 2x+ the minutes of Daniels is inexcusable. Cornish is an equal liability on offense, defense and his inability to help out on the boards.

2. Dunleavy continues to fail, IMO, in game time decisions and use of timeouts. He didn't even use his 1st half timeout today. He had 3 timeouts at end of SMU game that I was begging him to use at critical times during the last min - luckily our turnover and shot clock violation didn't kill us. His unwillingness to inject Sehic or Daniels as a change before the 2nd media timeout when we continue to struggle to start games is frustrating.

3. Dunleavy has no answer for zone defenses. None. His own defensive philosophy is not working. We're terrible at man D. We look lost on switches. We give up the lane so easily. We don't hit the boards to eliminate 2nd chance points. Just terrible.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

netshorty wrote:
NOLABigSteve wrote:First basketball game I've made since Dunleavy has been the coach.

1. We have no inside game. We don't even want to try and draw the foul.
2. Defense 99% NEVER uses their hands. Get in the opponents face, make yourself taller, move them around, something. We just stare at the opponent.

Both of these are BASKETBALL 101. Disturbing.
Hands up on D is a great observation. Here's what I find disturbing from the coaching side:

1. Dunleavy's use of his current roster. Cornish is a liability while Daniels appears to be the future. The fact that Cornish continues to receive 2x+ the minutes of Daniels is inexcusable. Cornish is an equal liability on offense, defense and his inability to help out on the boards.

2. Dunleavy continues to fail, IMO, in game time decisions and use of timeouts. He didn't even use his 1st half timeout today. He had 3 timeouts at end of SMU game that I was begging him to use at critical times during the last min - luckily our turnover and shot clock violation didn't kill us. His unwillingness to inject Sehic or Daniels as a change before the 2nd media timeout when we continue to struggle to start games is frustrating.

3. Dunleavy has no answer for zone defenses. None. His own defensive philosophy is not working. We're terrible at man D. We look lost on switches. We give up the lane so easily. We don't hit the boards to eliminate 2nd chance points. Just terrible.
Yep
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

It gets down to this. When we’re not shooting well we struggle with anyone. (See Nicholls St). Our inside game and penetration besides Frazier is not good enough to win in the AAC if our outside shooting is off. Teams have figured this weakness out and how to exploit it. The solution is to recruit better shooters including a point guard that can penetrate. The kicking the ball out and around the perimeter is great strategy when you have NBA-like 3 point shooters. When we’re shooting well we can beat anyone. However if not we will struggle with most.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
netshorty
Surge

tpstulane wrote:It gets down to this. When we’re not shooting well we struggle with anyone. (See Nicholls St). Our inside game and penetration besides Frazier is not good enough to win in the AAC if our outside shooting is off. Teams have figured this weakness out and how to exploit it. The solution is to recruit better shooters including a point guard that can penetrate. The kicking the ball out and around the perimeter is great strategy when you have NBA-like 3 point shooters. When we’re shooting well we can beat anyone. However if not we will struggle with most.
Yep, stud recruits can solve a lot of problems. That hasn't happened so far. But I wish it was as simple as just shooting. But sadly defense, rebounding, offensive scheme, and still some game management decisions contribute in a big way to our struggles.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I cannot believe netshorty knows more about basketball than Mike Dunleavy, Sr.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
netshorty
Surge

DfromCT wrote:I cannot believe netshorty knows more about basketball than Mike Dunleavy, Sr.
Scary huh?
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

netshorty wrote:
DfromCT wrote:I cannot believe netshorty knows more about basketball than Mike Dunleavy, Sr.
Scary huh?
Yeah, especially since you're an anonymous internet poster and he's been around the game at the highest levels for 50+ years. I'm sure the hour or so you spend a week evaluating our talent is far superior to the 50-60 hours a week Coach and his staff spend. And what he sees at practice doesn't matter; you know it all from 60 minutes a week of game time observation.

Sometimes we believe our own BS, which is really scary.
netshorty
Surge

Same could be said for anyone posting any opinion here.

So maybe you're on to part of the problem, some guys practice well but don't perform well in games. You're right I don't see practices and my opinions are based on repeated issues I see in games. I have praised MD for improving players individually. I praised him for doing a better job, IMO, of some game decisions in the Temple game that I thought helped get a win. You can agree or disagree with my takes. I'd be interested to know what you disagree with.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I think the coaches have a much better feel of the players abilities and who should get minutes and when they should get minutes. I don't try to think I know more than guys that have made a living in the game that I'm simply a fan of. Yes, we all have opinions, but sometimes when they come across as being Gospel, and better informed than coaches that see these kids 50+ hours a week it's just tough to read.

Maybe Daniels doesn't know the plays, and that's why he's on the bench. Maybe the coaches see things we don't. The point is we don't know what we don't know. (That's a tough concept for some.) I'm not saying there's no place to second guess the coaching staff of any sport at any level. But when you keep preaching the same thing over and over you have to wonder what the coaches KNOW that we don't see. Cornish is clearly a streak shooter; his hot streak almost single handedly got us within striking distance of Memphis.

I'll give another example, getting away from basketball. Did Coach Fritz turn into a better coach at the end of the year when we made a desperate run for a bowl invite, or was he just as good a coach at 3-6 as he was at 5 and 7? I think that his decades of experience trump any week to week play calling decisions he made. I think the same is true with Dunleavy, though it can easily be argued that he's still learning the college game. But his talent evaluation and coaching abilities aren't subject second guessing by those of us that have never played or coached at this level.
netshorty
Surge

DfromCT wrote:I think the coaches have a much better feel of the players abilities and who should get minutes and when they should get minutes. I don't try to think I know more than guys that have made a living in the game that I'm simply a fan of. Yes, we all have opinions, but sometimes when they come across as being Gospel, and better informed than coaches that see these kids 50+ hours a week it's just tough to read.

Maybe Daniels doesn't know the plays, and that's why he's on the bench. Maybe the coaches see things we don't. The point is we don't know what we don't know. (That's a tough concept for some.) I'm not saying there's no place to second guess the coaching staff of any sport at any level. But when you keep preaching the same thing over and over you have to wonder what the coaches KNOW that we don't see. Cornish is clearly a streak shooter; his hot streak almost single handedly got us within striking distance of Memphis.

I'll give another example, getting away from basketball. Did Coach Fritz turn into a better coach at the end of the year when we made a desperate run for a bowl invite, or was he just as good a coach at 3-6 as he was at 5 and 7? I think that his decades of experience trump any week to week play calling decisions he made. I think the same is true with Dunleavy, though it can easily be argued that he's still learning the college game. But his talent evaluation and coaching abilities aren't subject second guessing by those of us that have never played or coached at this level.
D, your argument tbat the coach knows better would /could be applied to every aspect from play calling to recruiting to everything else. I guess second guessing and questioning anything s off limits?
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

netshorty wrote:
DfromCT wrote:I think the coaches have a much better feel of the players abilities and who should get minutes and when they should get minutes. I don't try to think I know more than guys that have made a living in the game that I'm simply a fan of. Yes, we all have opinions, but sometimes when they come across as being Gospel, and better informed than coaches that see these kids 50+ hours a week it's just tough to read.

D, your argument that the coach knows better would /could be applied to every aspect from play calling to recruiting to everything else. I guess second guessing and questioning anything s off limits?
It cannot be off limits, that's what makes the board tick.

I just think there are times when we have to remember how much experience the coaches have, and how little in comparison we know.