Memphis Beats Tulane 96-89

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

The game is at 6 on ESPNews. Memphis was picked 11th. They brought in a 10 man class and 5 were JUCO's:

http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans/ ... 8e0c9.html
Last edited by winwave on Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
OUG
Riptide

We are 3 pt dogs, which feels about right considering a midweek road game against a team that is around 140 in RPI.

It should be close. An early lead would be nice.

Not to look ahead too much, but this would be a really big road win to get, seeing as we get UConn at home this weekend. A 4-1 start (without playing any of our 4 games vs ECU/USF yet) would be a big boost toward NIT chances (I think 6th place gives us a 50/50 shot).
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

This is not your daddy's Memphis Tigers basketball team. Though they're very tough at home, this team was picked to finish 9th in the preseason AAC media poll. Here's the official preview:

http://tulanegreenwave.com/news/2018/1/ ... night.aspx
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
GreenLantern
Riptide

Memphis trivia:
  • Memphis leads the Tulane series 50-11 and has won the last 3. Tulane has lost 18 of the last 19 when playing at Memphis. Memphis is 27-3 aginst Tulane since 1/1/2000.
  • Memphis coach Tubby Smith led the 1998 NCAA champ Kentucky team.
  • Tubby Smith is 4-0 against Tulane whereas Dunleavy is 0-2 against Memphis as a coach (with Tulane) and 0-1 as a player (with South Carolina)
  • South Carolina connection: Tubby Smith was an assistant coach at SC for three years (87-89). Dunleavy was a four-year player for the Gamecocks from 1973-76.
  • The Memphis team came from behind to defeat then-conference leader Tulsa on Jan 6
  • Jeremiah Martin, Memphis' red-hot leading scorer, is also 2nd in the AAC with steals. He trails only Melvin Frazier. The 6-3 guard scored 28 against Tulsa.
  • Prior to the Memphis win over Tulsa, they were on a three-game losing streak.
  • Not a lot of veterans on the Memphis team. They return only 2 basketball letter winners from last year compared to Tulane's 9.
  • Only 3 Memphis players from this team saw action last season. They added 11 new players, the most in the AAC. Five are jucos.
Memphis wants to be a perennial basketball powerhouse:
  • The school just made a $20 million investment in a state-of-the-art basketball facility. The Laurie-Walton Center opened on November 17th. Here's a link. According to Tubby Smith, “It’s sort of like Graceland.”
  • Memphis just signed a 7-4 center from Arkansas Baptist Prep who was ranked as the 25th center in the nation by 247sports.
Wave755
Tsunami

OUG wrote:We are 3 pt dogs, which feels about right considering a midweek road game against a team that is around 140 in RPI.

It should be close. An early lead would be nice.

Not to look ahead too much, but this would be a really big road win to get, seeing as we get UConn at home this weekend. A 4-1 start (without playing any of our 4 games vs ECU/USF yet) would be a big boost toward NIT chances (I think 6th place gives us a 50/50 shot).
Line holds Memphis 3 pts. > Wave (Rotation nos. 513-514 for Vegas Sheet).

O/U 141.5 pts.

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-bas ... las-vegas/
TURVS71
Swell

I will be at the Fed Ex Forum tonight supporting the Wave!
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
GreenLantern
Riptide

TURVS71 wrote:I will be at the Fed Ex Forum tonight supporting the Wave!
If you go to the campus, I would be interested in your impression of their new basketball center. Sounds like a palace.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

TURVS71 wrote:I will be at the Fed Ex Forum tonight supporting the Wave!
I know the building seats @16k, but it looks empty. What's your take having been at the game?
GreenLantern
Riptide

Must Tulane always start with ice cold shooting?
TURVS71
Swell

Beautiful arena, sparse crowd..terrible shooting and defense
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
Mandeville Wave
High Tide

Defense is nonexistent
GreenLantern
Riptide

This game is over
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

GreenLantern wrote:This game is over
It may be, but I'll watch at least into the second half. We couldn't hit much until Sehic got into the game, and our D was back to looking like the NBA. Maybe we can make a run, but this looks like one of those nights where our shots don't fall and our D stinks. Could be ugly if it continues after halftime.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Mandeville Wave wrote:Defense is nonexistent
About to post that. Uncontested layup after lapup for awhile.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
netshorty
Surge

So Memphis is one the the worst shooting teams from 3 pt range AND we have absolutely struggled to keep them from driving the basket on nearly every possession, yet we stick with this porous man defense instead of trying something different like packing in a zone? Head scratcher.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Too little too late. Memphis wins 96-89
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Okay, at least they played hard to the end. The Jordan Cornish show late in the game had us cut the lead to 5 with a chance to cut it to 3 or 2 before a turnover. An "L" either way, but glad to see the team fight through a 20 point deficit most of the second half to give them a shot in the last minute.
GreenLantern
Riptide

Spirited comeback attempt by the Wave, but you can't spot Memphis a 24 point lead
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

The T on Dunleavy was ridiculous. Two officials talking it over in front of him, and the guy across the court T's him up. Then they overturn the call that drew Dunleavy's ire! Just ludicrous, and it gave Memphis 2 points, and it was at the start of Tulane's furious comeback. About a minute later, Tubby Smith is on the court yelling at an official and they didn't T him up. It was an opportunity for the officials to even out a bad call that went against Tulane, but they let Smith go off while two or three steps onto the court.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DfromCT wrote:The T on Dunleavy was ridiculous. Two officials talking it over in front of him, and the guy across the court T's him up. Then they overturn the call that drew Dunleavy's ire! Just ludicrous, and it gave Memphis 2 points, and it was at the start of Tulane's furious comeback. About a minute later, Tubby Smith is on the court yelling at an official and they didn't T him up. It was an opportunity for the officials to even out a bad call that went against Tulane, but they let Smith go off while two or three steps onto the court.
but "Tubby" is a "name coach"
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
galvezwave
Swell

Heard the post game with graff. MD was furious with the team. Pretty much called em a bunch of p*****s
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

galvezwave wrote:Heard the post game with graff. MD was furious with the team. Pretty much called em a bunch of p*****s
I hate when a coach throws his players under the bus. Why weren't they ready to come out strong, Coach? I didn't hear a word of it, though, so I'm going on your report.
galvezwave
Swell

DfromCT wrote:
galvezwave wrote:Heard the post game with graff. MD was furious with the team. Pretty much called em a bunch of p*****s
I hate when a coach throws his players under the bus. Why weren't they ready to come out strong, Coach? I didn't hear a word of it, though, so I'm going on your report.
I would call it more like motivational tactics. He challenged them to be tougher. His exact words were "we got beasted " he repeated it a few times. He wants a tougher team.
RobertM320
Green Wave

And he's right. Graff mentioned numerous times in the first half how Memphis was getting every 50/50 ball. I've never played basketball at a competitive level but I've heard it said many times that rebounding is an attitude. It's why players like Russ Westbrook can get 8-10 rebounds a game and you'll find a lot of much taller players only getting 3-4 a game. They WANT to rebound. Our guys need to develop that "want to" attitude.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson