1998 National Champs!

The board for former Green Wave players and coaches.
gbgreenie
Surge

I remember watching that team especially the offense. We did not have great players they were leftovers from Buddy Teevans. It takes two things in place to win like that team did. lst and foremost a coaching staff that could instill confidence in the teams skills and confidence in their coaching abilities. That was Bowden but I believe more Rich Rodriguez. Then you need athletes that could execute this sophistacated offense called the spread. They were an intelligent group. What I saw was an offense that had players in the right positions to win and players that executed exactly as drawn out. RR used the players strengths and spread the field to weaken the defenses athletic advantage. When Converse ran all, not some of the receivers could be seen making blocks down field. The same happened if Shaun King ran or passed to an open Juan Dawson. Everyone blocked down field, no one looked up and watched. This was a thing of beauty to watch and one that I have never seen duplicated. If we don't get Rich Rodriguez we are making a big mistake. Let Shaun King read what I have written and he will agree. Rich Rod is a master of an offense using deception to win, here at Tulane he will have the player with the smarts to execute and he will once again win and win big. Please don't let the man get away. Once is a mistake, two times is shame on you.

NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Answer: COACHING
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
Highwave
Low Tide

Any reason to believe Leach wouldn't accomplish the same?
TU23
High Tide

Highwave wrote:Any reason to believe Leach wouldn't accomplish the same?
Leach would do the same. He's a master at getting the most out of his players on offense especially. The 1998 team had a lot more talent than the one we'll have next year, though. Toledo left us in a lurch.
gbgreenie
Surge

I have watched Leach's teams and he is no Rich Rodriguez. Rich Rodriguez is the master of the spread like no other.
COChip
Low Tide

I would love to have either one. However, I must admit Leach is more interesting to me. Quirky, intelligent, and someone that New Orleans could appreciate....not to mention he wins and has a kick-ass offense. I think he also would take little BS from Cowen.
tnelly15
Riptide

gbgreenie wrote:I have watched Leach's teams and he is no Rich Rodriguez. Rich Rodriguez is the master of the spread like no other.
Well their records as head coaches say Leach is better than Rich Rod.
TU23
High Tide

The two offenses might both be considered "spread" but they are much different offenses. Rodriguez runs a ton of zone read and Leach doesn't run any at all. If we had to make chicken salad out of chicken @$%# next year, Leach's offense would probably be easier to run based on the skill set of our current roster.

They are both great coaches and both have exciting offenses, but they have very different styles. Rodriguez's offense has been predominantly a run dominated offense whereas Leach will chuck it 60 times a game. Really just depends on what style you prefer.
gbgreenie
Surge

Rodriguez sets up the run with the past. This keeps the defense honest and covers up personel weaknesses. If you throw crazy like leach you had better have good receivers and a pinpoint QB that Tulane does not have now. We need RR because he will get the most of what we currently have. They totally confused defenses in 98.
gbgreenie
Surge

Meant pass, sets up the run with the pass.
tnelly15
Riptide

gbgreenie wrote:Rodriguez sets up the run with the past. This keeps the defense honest and covers up personel weaknesses. If you throw crazy like leach you had better have good receivers and a pinpoint QB that Tulane does not have now. We need RR because he will get the most of what we currently have. They totally confused defenses in 98.
Not really, none of Leach's QB's were ever anything special. Obviously they put up big numbers in college, but it was all because of the system.
gbgreenie
Surge

The best offensive system is doing what the defense does not expect and executing it. Against a defense like LSU you better deceive them because if they know what you are doing they will stop you.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Robert1969
Riptide

It's funny that they considered that the story of the year for 1998 given that, even though LSU sucked that year, T-P gave them better coverage.
IM42lane
Swell

Join in if you can.

ROLL GREEN WAVE !!!
Regards,
"Pete" Madere
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Yes many former players chiming in.
Tulane Class of 1981
Dr. Rosenrosen
High Tide

Cowen thought that year was a fluke. :roll:

And we're still picking flowers with RD after 15 years!

I get upset now thinking about 1998. Sorry.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Dr. Rosenrosen wrote:Cowen thought that year was a fluke. :roll:

And we're still picking flowers with RD after 15 years!

I get upset now thinking about 1998. Sorry.
+1

A mistake that has cost Tulane hundreds of millions.
Robert1969
Riptide

tpstulane wrote:Yes many former players chiming in.
Where on facebook?
Jonathan
Riptide

Seriously under Rick Dickson we have one of the worst college athletic programs in the nation. I will give the new baseball coach a year or two but football,men's and women's basketball have no excuse. We should be in the NCAA tournament and Top 25 every year. In a major football bowl game every year. Rick Dickson needs to go now after15 years of fracturing Tulane athletics with his poor coaching hires and extensions for mega dollars. Fire him now! No one will renew their football season tickets or mega TAF donations next year because of a 3 win disastrous season under CJ. It will look like the Superdome attendance as old. We need to clean house and get Dickson gone!
tjtlja06
Low Tide

You are one miserable person.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Robert1969 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:Yes many former players chiming in.
Where on facebook?
It appeared on my news feed.
Tulane Class of 1981
T1B2TW
High Tide

tjtlja06 wrote:You are one miserable person.
This. You said a mouthful there sir.
Wavetime
Swell

Why not claim the title....

What a great looking shirt!!

http://www.wwltv.com/news/local/celebra ... /504956456
msdos
Swell

Because it’s bush league as fuck to do so