1998 National Champs!

The board for former Green Wave players and coaches.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I hear ya 320. I'd note though that King broke his left wrist and dealt with it the rest of the season.

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
RobertM320
Green Wave

winwave wrote:I hear ya 320. I'd note though that King broke his left wrist and dealt with it the rest of the season.
True. I clearly remember the Southern Miss game which was the first game after he broke it. We just weren't the same offensively. I assume after he got comfortable with the cast, he was able to be more productive. Those two games were the only ones we scored less than 30, and the defense stepped up and shut USM down because they knew we weren't going to score a ton of points.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
wave97
Swell

DfromCT wrote:
wave97 wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:Who do you consider our peer schools? My guess is, there isn't another school in the AAC other than UCF that's had a football NC, ever. So they're not really in a position to laugh, are they? Maybe Navy has.
I think SMU went undefeated, but they were on "probation'...

They list as having 3 national championships: 1935, 1981, 1982. I think the last two were during the time when they were cheating heavily.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_S ... ll_seasons
The 1982 SMU team was the best in the country. A one loss media darling & holier-than-thou Penn State team was ranked ahead of a no loss SMU team to play Georgia in the Suger Bowl. SMU would have curb stomped Georgia.
Last time I checked Ron Meyer & Bobby Collins weren't covering for a systemic child buggerer.
Look at this fluff-piece of the era: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9UF-PxsA60
SMU was getting snubbed because everyone on the planet knew their payroll rivaled an NFL team. As a matter of fact, when Dickerson demanded to get traded from the Rams, the word was he made more at SMU.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:
msdos wrote:
GreenLantern wrote:
msdos wrote:Because it’s bush league as f**k to do so
I kind of agree with drunk MsDos. Claiming a national title seems a little like claiming this was a bowl-game year. Our peer schools would probably be amused by this. I can imagine the quotes on their forums: "That's the only championship Tulane will win is an imaginary one."
This is how I feel but I also don’t want to discredit how great of an accomplishment it was
Well that and UCF was undefeated -and- defeated four opponents ranked in the final AP Poll. If I recall correctly, Tulane defeated none.
Of course, we didn't just win our games. We won dominantly. Only twice did we score less than 31, and those were the two games when King was dealing with his injury. After those two, we never scored less than 41 the rest of the season. The Louisville game (one of those two games when King was playing hurt) was the only one that ended up a one score game (28-22), even though our defense gave up lots of points late in games due to large leads. We won two by 10, and two by 14, and the rest were blowouts. Average margin of victory for the year was over 20 points. So maybe we played lesser opponents, but we did what an elite team should do to lesser opponents.

Yeah, but some posters on this board would say that scoring all those points branded us as a G5 team. P5's don't play like that, they enjoy punting and keeping the score low, according to some.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
wave97
Swell

DfromCT wrote:
wave97 wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:Who do you consider our peer schools? My guess is, there isn't another school in the AAC other than UCF that's had a football NC, ever. So they're not really in a position to laugh, are they? Maybe Navy has.
I think SMU went undefeated, but they were on "probation'...

They list as having 3 national championships: 1935, 1981, 1982. I think the last two were during the time when they were cheating heavily.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_S ... ll_seasons
The 1982 SMU team was the best in the country. A one loss media darling & holier-than-thou Penn State team was ranked ahead of a no loss SMU team to play Georgia in the Suger Bowl. SMU would have curb stomped Georgia.
Last time I checked Ron Meyer & Bobby Collins weren't covering for a systemic child buggerer.
Look at this fluff-piece of the era: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9UF-PxsA60
SMU was getting snubbed because everyone on the planet knew their payroll rivaled an NFL team. As a matter of fact, when Dickerson demanded to get traded from the Rams, the word was he made more at SMU.
What's wrong with spreading the love? My friend & high school teammate signed a LOI with Jackie Sherrill & Pitt. The weekend before the signing day he was flown to Dallas on a private jet with Ron Meyer, the Mayor of Dallas and a handful of current and former Cowboys. My friend discreetly signed with SMU. A month later he drove to school in a brand new gold 280ZX. He wound up being a first-round draft pick and played many years in the NFL - no worse for the wear.
ajcalhoun
Swell

wave97 wrote:What's wrong with spreading the love? My friend & high school teammate signed a LOI with Jackie Sherrill & Pitt. The weekend before the signing day he was flown to Dallas on a private jet with Ron Meyer, the Mayor of Dallas and a handful of current and former Cowboys. My friend discreetly signed with SMU. A month later he drove to school in a brand new gold 280ZX. He wound up being a first-round draft pick and played many years in the NFL - no worse for the wear.
Reggie Dupard?
God Bless Everyone!
wave97
Swell

ajcalhoun wrote:
wave97 wrote:What's wrong with spreading the love? My friend & high school teammate signed a LOI with Jackie Sherrill & Pitt. The weekend before the signing day he was flown to Dallas on a private jet with Ron Meyer, the Mayor of Dallas and a handful of current and former Cowboys. My friend discreetly signed with SMU. A month later he drove to school in a brand new gold 280ZX. He wound up being a first-round draft pick and played many years in the NFL - no worse for the wear.
Reggie Dupard?
No, not Reggie Dupard.
Much to the credit of Jackie Sherrill not a word was said in protest. Unlike his rival in State College who in testimony to Congress warned about leaving college football to ' the Barry Switzer's of the world'. I'll take the Barry Switzer's of the world over a naive fool who was hoisted by his own petard.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

wave97 wrote:
ajcalhoun wrote:
Reggie Dupard?
No, not Reggie Dupard.
Much to the credit of Jackie Sherrill not a word was said in protest. Unlike his rival in State College who in testimony to Congress warned about leaving college football to ' the Barry Switzer's of the world'. I'll take the Barry Switzer's of the world over a naive fool who was hoisted by his own petard.
This sounds like Eric Dickerson, but I am told Texas A&M bough his "ride"
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:
msdos wrote:
GreenLantern wrote:
msdos wrote:Because it’s bush league as f**k to do so
I kind of agree with drunk MsDos. Claiming a national title seems a little like claiming this was a bowl-game year. Our peer schools would probably be amused by this. I can imagine the quotes on their forums: "That's the only championship Tulane will win is an imaginary one."
This is how I feel but I also don’t want to discredit how great of an accomplishment it was
Well that and UCF was undefeated -and- defeated four opponents ranked in the final AP Poll. If I recall correctly, Tulane defeated none.
Of course, we didn't just win our games. We won dominantly. Only twice did we score less than 31, and those were the two games when King was dealing with his injury. After those two, we never scored less than 41 the rest of the season. The Louisville game (one of those two games when King was playing hurt) was the only one that ended up a one score game (28-22), even though our defense gave up lots of points late in games due to large leads. We won two by 10, and two by 14, and the rest were blowouts. Average margin of victory for the year was over 20 points. So maybe we played lesser opponents, but we did what an elite team should do to lesser opponents.
I was at the Army game in Mid November that year. It was far from a blowout win. Both teams were trading TD's in the third and fourth quarters, Tulane got a defensive TD late in the game to make the final margin of victory 2 touchdowns after Army had been tying the game with scores that answered our scores.
RobertM320
Green Wave

D, if you notice, I specifically did NOT call that game a blowout win. I said, "we won two by 10, and two by 14", one of which was the Army game. I remember that game as well. But if we had played that game for 10 quarters, we still would have won, because Army was never going to stop us.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote:D, if you notice, I specifically did NOT call that game a blowout win. I said, "we won two by 10, and two by 14", one of which was the Army game. I remember that game as well. But if we had played that game for 10 quarters, we still would have won, because Army was never going to stop us.
Actually, we had a near disaster fairly late in that Army game. With the game tied, King threw an out pattern that an Army DB had an easy pick 6 on but he dropped it in full stride headed the other way. That would have given Army the lead! We ended up scoring and getting our own pick 6 (or turnover that lead to 6, not sure which) on Army's next possession.

You are right, though, you didn't call that game a blowout win. But Army wasn't particularly good that year, and gave us a scare. My heart stopped on the play described above and it was right in front of me.
RobertM320
Green Wave

OK, so to be fair, we only had 7 blowouts in an 11 game season.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote:OK, so to be fair, we only had 7 blowouts in an 11 game season.
It was a hell of a fun season. I remember after the Rutgers game one of the O-Linemen was being interviewed on the radio up in the metro NYC area about the offense. He said "we know we have the other team beat when they have their hands on their hips sucking wind between plays. Usually it happens by the 3rd quarter, but today those Rutgers guys were sucking wind at the start of the second quarter."
winwave
Top of the WAVE

It will be the weekend of the Nicholls St. game:

http://www.nola.com/tulane/index.ssf/20 ... iver_index
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
torbida
Surge

A great team it was wished Ole Miss or LSU was on schedule that year, esp. LSU would've been fun shredding them
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
torbida
Surge

:ugeek:
torbida wrote:A great team. I wished Ole Miss or LSU was on schedule that year, esp. LSU would've been fun shredding them
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Tulane Class of 1981
netshorty
Surge

Really good piece and recap of the season. thanks for sharing.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

netshorty wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:54 am
Really good piece and recap of the season. thanks for sharing.
Yes. Very good stuff.
Tulane Class of 1981
RobertM320
Green Wave

Its always hard to explain to fans of P5 schools in general, and SEC schools in particular, as to why the system doesn't work. They have a valid point in saying P5s are more talented (read "better") than G5 schools. What you can't get them to understand is, it wasn't always that way and the system itself is creating the disparity.

Suppose over the next ten years, the NFL was to do something similar?

STEP 1: Do away with the draft, fix player salaries by position for the first four seasons, and let players choose their own teams. Sure, that would cause some issues. For instance, you'd see offensive players wanting to play for the Saints, Rams and Chiefs, rather than the Dolphins or Bucs, but over the years, as coaches changed, that would vary, because the money was the same and the NFL distributes revenue the same to all 32 teams.

STEP 2: Let the media start promoting that the NFC East is the best division, because they want to get the viewers in the major markets; Wash, NY, Philly, Dallas. They start giving all the best TV slots to those teams, and give them twice as many prime time games as the rest of the league. After a few years, most players coming from college would look to go to those teams first, because they want to be seen. This would give those teams a choice of the best players. As the years passed, those teams would become better and better, and would eventually dominate the league.

STEP 3: The league does away with playoff autobids for division winners and picks who they feel are the best teams to participate in the playoffs. Of course, the 4 NFC East teams would always be involved because they've been promoted for years as the "best" teams.

Now tell me, how many of these same fans of P5s that look down on the G5s as inferior would sit by and not complain about their favorite team having the game stacked against them? And yet, at that point, the truth would probably be that the NFC East teams WERE the best teams in the league, but its a created situation, not a natural one.
netshorty
Surge

RobertM320 wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:19 pm Its always hard to explain to fans of P5 schools in general, and SEC schools in particular, as to why the system doesn't work. They have a valid point in saying P5s are more talented (read "better") than G5 schools. What you can't get them to understand is, it wasn't always that way and the system itself is creating the disparity.

Suppose over the next ten years, the NFL was to do something similar?

STEP 1: Do away with the draft, fix player salaries by position for the first four seasons, and let players choose their own teams. Sure, that would cause some issues. For instance, you'd see offensive players wanting to play for the Saints, Rams and Chiefs, rather than the Dolphins or Bucs, but over the years, as coaches changed, that would vary, because the money was the same and the NFL distributes revenue the same to all 32 teams.

STEP 2: Let the media start promoting that the NFC East is the best division, because they want to get the viewers in the major markets; Wash, NY, Philly, Dallas. They start giving all the best TV slots to those teams, and give them twice as many prime time games as the rest of the league. After a few years, most players coming from college would look to go to those teams first, because they want to be seen. This would give those teams a choice of the best players. As the years passed, those teams would become better and better, and would eventually dominate the league.

STEP 3: The league does away with playoff autobids for division winners and picks who they feel are the best teams to participate in the playoffs. Of course, the 4 NFC East teams would always be involved because they've been promoted for years as the "best" teams.

Now tell me, how many of these same fans of P5s that look down on the G5s as inferior would sit by and not complain about their favorite team having the game stacked against them? And yet, at that point, the truth would probably be that the NFC East teams WERE the best teams in the league, but its a created situation, not a natural one.
great analogy...