Tulane gets measure of revenge over SMU 73-70

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Robert1969
Riptide
Posts: 2676
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:45 pm
Status: Offline

Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:10 pm

I am still not done being pumped about this victory. Great win!


User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 17583
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:33 pm

Show Me wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
DfromCT wrote:Guerry Smith's take on the game:

http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans/ ... 1bdcb.html

Free throws have definitely won us the two conference games. That goes straight to coaching, and those that think Dunleavy is a "has been washed up former NBA coach" should take note. Coach Dunleavy is still learning the college game, but the team has learned a whole lot from him, and is MUCH improved. I'm damned happy he's our coach.
That’s the one thing that most frustrated me about the Conroy teams we couldn’t shoot basic FT’s. I suggested many times to coach to bring in Daryl Moreau to correct the flaws. Daryl is a friend of mine and was one of the greatest FT shooters in the country when he played.
He made over 100 straight while in HS. Thankfully it looks like Dunleavy has corrected any bad habits at the line and it’s paying off bigtime.
Maybe so. But look at the talent Conroy brought in. Hopefully Dunleavy can recruit. I like Daniels but the other players are non factors and are projects at best.
Dunleavy getting the most out of the talent. The players seem to be in sync with one another. The extra pass really gets us an open look more so than not. Conroy was more about defense that could lead to offense. We just didn’t look smooth running Conroy’s offense. Dunleavy has the offense humming just need to do a better job defending and rebounding.
Stadiums get old, winning never does.
Tulane Class of 1981
User avatar
msdos
Swell
Posts: 1225
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:25 pm
Status: Offline

Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:10 pm

GreenLantern wrote:And for the SMU fans in attendance at Devlin, here's a little something else for you to consider after your loss tonight:
Image
Except he wasn’t in? And there’s another angle that proves it...

Why bring up a failed football season while we are on a roll in hoops?
DfromCT
Tsunami
Posts: 5956
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Online

Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:39 pm

The "angle the proves it" was from about the 25-30 yard line and zoomed in. It proved NOTHING. It was nowhere near straight across the goal line. At the same time, the ruling may have been a blessing in disguise: I'm not sure we get nearly the quality recruiting class we signed in the early signing period had the coaches been splitting time between recruiting and preparing for the Tidy Bowl game.

MSDOS, are you actually supporting a Troy Dannen hire (Coach Dunleavy?)
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
User avatar
msdos
Swell
Posts: 1225
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:25 pm
Status: Offline

Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:14 pm

DfromCT wrote: MSDOS, are you actually supporting a Troy Dannen hire (Coach Dunleavy?)
Shhhhhhh
winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 11936
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:49 pm

RobertM320 wrote:Really? Ona Embo, Sehic, Cornish? They're non-factors? These are Dunleavy players.
+1. Any quality player EC brought in transferred b/c they knew he couldn't coach .
Find A Way!
greenie78
High Tide
Posts: 423
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:35 am
Status: Offline

Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:54 pm

Show Me wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
DfromCT wrote:Guerry Smith's take on the game:

http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans/ ... 1bdcb.html

Free throws have definitely won us the two conference games. That goes straight to coaching, and those that think Dunleavy is a "has been washed up former NBA coach" should take note. Coach Dunleavy is still learning the college game, but the team has learned a whole lot from him, and is MUCH improved. I'm damned happy he's our coach.
That’s the one thing that most frustrated me about the Conroy teams we couldn’t shoot basic FT’s. I suggested many times to coach to bring in Daryl Moreau to correct the flaws. Daryl is a friend of mine and was one of the greatest FT shooters in the country when he played.
He made over 100 straight while in HS. Thankfully it looks like Dunleavy has corrected any bad habits at the line and it’s paying off bigtime.
Maybe so. But look at the talent Conroy brought in. Hopefully Dunleavy can recruit. I like Daniels but the other players are non factors and are projects at best.
No surprise your ass would show up with a garbage post. At least the smart posters on this forum refuted your sorry claim showing how little you know. Go back to your parent's basement and suck your thumb while coming up with other dumb stuff.
Ruski
Surge
Posts: 766
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:58 pm
Status: Offline

Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:15 pm

Best part is we'll have everyone back next year except Reynolds!

This team is starting to put together some impressive wins and set up something special for next year!

Apparently there was a 4 star recruit at yesterdays game too!
User avatar
Eaglewave
Swell
Posts: 1904
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:36 am
Status: Offline

Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:20 pm

greenie78 wrote:This makes up for the Tulsa loss. Second half shooting won this game. Great win!!
No it doesn't.
" Lee looked good today, Montana looked good, Powell did some good things, Jordy looked great! Having all of these QB's who can all make plays is a great problem to have!" ( Former Head Coach Curtis Johnson)
User avatar
Eaglewave
Swell
Posts: 1904
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:36 am
Status: Offline

Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:33 pm

The life of a Tulane. Sometimes we feel nuts, sometimes we don't.
" Lee looked good today, Montana looked good, Powell did some good things, Jordy looked great! Having all of these QB's who can all make plays is a great problem to have!" ( Former Head Coach Curtis Johnson)
galvezwave
Surge
Posts: 648
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:34 am
Status: Offline

Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:52 am

Tulsa is 10-5 and 3-0 in AAC. I know they're not great but it's not like we lost to prairie view.
netshorty
High Tide
Posts: 372
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:41 am
Status: Offline

Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:10 am

Ruski wrote:Best part is we'll have everyone back next year except Reynolds!

This team is starting to put together some impressive wins and set up something special for next year!

Apparently there was a 4 star recruit at yesterdays game too!
As it relates to the importance of a player to team :

Reynolds:Tulane = Michael Jordan:Bulls.

IMO, Saying we only will be losing Reynolds doesn't really bolster an argument for how good next year's team will be.
netshorty
High Tide
Posts: 372
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:41 am
Status: Offline

Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:30 am

It is very evident from the individual improvements of Reynolds, Frazier, Paul, Ono Embo and even Ryan Smith last year that Mike Dunleavy is a really good fundamental shooting coach. No doubt that he's improved us in that regard and as a result it has improved us as a team this year.

However, while everyone is jumping on a few posters for highlighting some of concerns about what we've seen so far in other areas, I would agree with those that are somewhat disappointed in "his players" that he brought in. His current freshman class has one very good player. His two transfers are not at all living up to the billing. Paul has seen more minutes than Sehic. Some of that is because of some improvement of Paul but evenso, the hope was that we would see a big upgrade in the post. Cornish has not been good at all. He has nearly as many turnovers as made field goals. He continues to get a bulk of the minutes at the expense of Daniels.
JerseyWave
Riptide
Posts: 3823
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:09 pm
Location: New Jersey
Status: Offline

Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:15 am

netshorty wrote:It is very evident from the individual improvements of Reynolds, Frazier, Paul, Ono Embo and even Ryan Smith last year that Mike Dunleavy is a really good fundamental shooting coach. No doubt that he's improved us in that regard and as a result it has improved us as a team this year.

However, while everyone is jumping on a few posters for highlighting some of concerns about what we've seen so far in other areas, I would agree with those that are somewhat disappointed in "his players" that he brought in. His current freshman class has one very good player. His two transfers are not at all living up to the billing. Paul has seen more minutes than Sehic. Some of that is because of some improvement of Paul but evenso, the hope was that we would see a big upgrade in the post. Cornish has not been good at all. He has nearly as many turnovers as made field goals. He continues to get a bulk of the minutes at the expense of Daniels.
Cornish, like Malik Morgan before him, has not lived up to the hype. Frazier is vastly improved. Daniels is the real deal. The two Sudanese kids are projects. If they're still at Tulane by their junior year they could be legitimate college big men. Hopefully, the positive vibes in the program will translate to a higher level of recruiting.
winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 11936
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:20 am

netshorty wrote:
Ruski wrote:Best part is we'll have everyone back next year except Reynolds!

This team is starting to put together some impressive wins and set up something special for next year!

Apparently there was a 4 star recruit at yesterdays game too!
As it relates to the importance of a player to team :

Reynolds:Tulane = Michael Jordan:Bulls.

IMO, Saying we only will be losing Reynolds doesn't really bolster an argument for how good next year's team will be.
I understand and agree somewhat with that take. However it took Reynolds 5 years to get to this point. Many went on about him from the get go simply because he looked the part. He didn’t show any real consistency till last year. He can still be off and when he is he’s not even close. So he’s not Jordan. Daniels is way ahead of where he was as a freshman. He’ll be rolling next year. We still don’t know what we have this year but the fall off, if any, won’t be much.
Find A Way!
netshorty
High Tide
Posts: 372
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:41 am
Status: Offline

Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:39 am

winwave wrote:
netshorty wrote:
Ruski wrote:Best part is we'll have everyone back next year except Reynolds!

This team is starting to put together some impressive wins and set up something special for next year!

Apparently there was a 4 star recruit at yesterdays game too!
As it relates to the importance of a player to team :

Reynolds:Tulane = Michael Jordan:Bulls.

IMO, Saying we only will be losing Reynolds doesn't really bolster an argument for how good next year's team will be.
I understand and agree somewhat with that take. However it took Reynolds 5 years to get to this point. Many went on about him from the get go simply because he looked the part. He didn’t show any real consistency till last year. He can still be off and when he is he’s not even close. So he’s not Jordan. Daniels is way ahead of where he was as a freshman. He’ll be rolling next year. We still don’t know what we have this year but the fall off, if any, won’t be much.
Not talking about the progress just where we are today. Today, he is the most important offensive weapon we have. Does that mean that someone can't pick up his production? No. I was only commenting that while only losing one player, he's the most significant one.
User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 17583
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:18 pm

Something to note here on Cam. To be fair his first few years he had some bad luck with injuries. He’s finally in the grove after being fully healthy allowing him to reach his potential. His outside 3pt shooting will be missed for sure.
Stadiums get old, winning never does.
Tulane Class of 1981
User avatar
GreenLantern
Swell
Posts: 1585
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:41 pm
Status: Offline

Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:42 pm

winwave wrote:However it took Reynolds 5 years to get to this point. Many went on about him from the get go simply because he looked the part. He didn’t show any real consistency till last year.
Right. Year 1 Cam Reynolds=Kain Harris.

Wow! I'm agreeing with MsDos and WinWave on the same day. Who's next to influence my perspective? Donald Trump? :?
winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 11936
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:22 pm

netshorty wrote:
winwave wrote:
netshorty wrote:
Ruski wrote:Best part is we'll have everyone back next year except Reynolds!

This team is starting to put together some impressive wins and set up something special for next year!

Apparently there was a 4 star recruit at yesterdays game too!
As it relates to the importance of a player to team :

Reynolds:Tulane = Michael Jordan:Bulls.

IMO, Saying we only will be losing Reynolds doesn't really bolster an argument for how good next year's team will be.
I understand and agree somewhat with that take. However it took Reynolds 5 years to get to this point. Many went on about him from the get go simply because he looked the part. He didn’t show any real consistency till last year. He can still be off and when he is he’s not even close. So he’s not Jordan. Daniels is way ahead of where he was as a freshman. He’ll be rolling next year. We still don’t know what we have this year but the fall off, if any, won’t be much.
Not talking about the progress just where we are today. Today, he is the most important offensive weapon we have. Does that mean that someone can't pick up his production? No. I was only commenting that while only losing one player, he's the most significant one.
My point is that Daniels is so much more advanced early that by next year he'll be picking up that production. Also while offense always sticks out to fans the argument can be made that Frazier is just as significant. He contributes so much in each area.
Find A Way!
DrBox
Riptide
Posts: 3093
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:49 am
Status: Offline

Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:24 pm

winwave wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:Really? Ona Embo, Sehic, Cornish? They're non-factors? These are Dunleavy players.
+1. Any quality player EC brought in transferred b/c they knew he couldn't coach .
Players would wait until the end of the season in hopes their cellphones would blow up. Osetkowski's did; thankfully, Frazier's did not.
winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 11936
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:26 pm

tpstulane wrote:Something to note here on Cam. To be fair his first few years he had some bad luck with injuries. He’s finally in the grove after being fully healthy allowing him to reach his potential. His outside 3pt shooting will be missed for sure.

I was being fair. He got injured early one season and got redshirted. He was relatively healthy for the other years. He just wasn't that good. Like I said people were enamored with him b/c he looked the part. He simply didn't really start playing the part consistently till last season.
Find A Way!
Robert1969
Riptide
Posts: 2676
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:45 pm
Status: Offline

Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:36 pm

galvezwave wrote:Tulsa is 10-5 and 3-0 in AAC. I know they're not great but it's not like we lost to prairie view.
11-4 and 2-1.
User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 17583
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:56 pm

winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:Something to note here on Cam. To be fair his first few years he had some bad luck with injuries. He’s finally in the grove after being fully healthy allowing him to reach his potential. His outside 3pt shooting will be missed for sure.

I was being fair. He got injured early one season and got redshirted. He was relatively healthy for the other years. He just wasn't that good. Like I said people were enamored with him b/c he looked the part. He simply didn't really start playing the part consistently till last season.
Relatively healthy and fully healthy are two different things especially for an athlete in basketball. He re-injured his same wrist he broke after his redshirt year. Like I said he’s finally fully healthy and it’s showing on the court.
Stadiums get old, winning never does.
Tulane Class of 1981
User avatar
RobertM320
Tsunami
Posts: 6417
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:18 pm
Location: Destrehan, LA
Contact:
Status: Offline

Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:24 pm

Robert1969 wrote:
galvezwave wrote:Tulsa is 10-5 and 3-0 in AAC. I know they're not great but it's not like we lost to prairie view.
11-4 and 2-1.
He was referring to Tulsa, Robert, not Tulane. Tulsa is 10-5 overall, 3-0 in AAC play.
"ASK AND YE SHALL RECEIVE! HANG EM AND BANG EM! HANG EM AND BANG EM!"-- Todd Graffagnini
DfromCT
Tsunami
Posts: 5956
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Online

Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:30 pm

Q for the board: What does this victory do to your expectations for the season? Clearly, most of us were at or around that "7-8 AAC wins" in the other thread before the season started, and most were still there until the Temple game. So what does everyone else expect our overall record to be at the end of the regular season? What are our chances of meaningful (NIT minimum) post-season play?
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
Post Reply