Tulane gets measure of revenge over SMU 73-70

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Robert1969
Riptide

I am still not done being pumped about this victory. Great win!

tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Show Me wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
DfromCT wrote:Guerry Smith's take on the game:

http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans/ ... 1bdcb.html

Free throws have definitely won us the two conference games. That goes straight to coaching, and those that think Dunleavy is a "has been washed up former NBA coach" should take note. Coach Dunleavy is still learning the college game, but the team has learned a whole lot from him, and is MUCH improved. I'm damned happy he's our coach.
That’s the one thing that most frustrated me about the Conroy teams we couldn’t shoot basic FT’s. I suggested many times to coach to bring in Daryl Moreau to correct the flaws. Daryl is a friend of mine and was one of the greatest FT shooters in the country when he played.
He made over 100 straight while in HS. Thankfully it looks like Dunleavy has corrected any bad habits at the line and it’s paying off bigtime.
Maybe so. But look at the talent Conroy brought in. Hopefully Dunleavy can recruit. I like Daniels but the other players are non factors and are projects at best.
Dunleavy getting the most out of the talent. The players seem to be in sync with one another. The extra pass really gets us an open look more so than not. Conroy was more about defense that could lead to offense. We just didn’t look smooth running Conroy’s offense. Dunleavy has the offense humming just need to do a better job defending and rebounding.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
msdos
Swell

GreenLantern wrote:And for the SMU fans in attendance at Devlin, here's a little something else for you to consider after your loss tonight:
Except he wasn’t in? And there’s another angle that proves it...

Why bring up a failed football season while we are on a roll in hoops?
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

The "angle the proves it" was from about the 25-30 yard line and zoomed in. It proved NOTHING. It was nowhere near straight across the goal line. At the same time, the ruling may have been a blessing in disguise: I'm not sure we get nearly the quality recruiting class we signed in the early signing period had the coaches been splitting time between recruiting and preparing for the Tidy Bowl game.

MSDOS, are you actually supporting a Troy Dannen hire (Coach Dunleavy?)
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
msdos
Swell

DfromCT wrote: MSDOS, are you actually supporting a Troy Dannen hire (Coach Dunleavy?)
Shhhhhhh
winwave
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote:Really? Ona Embo, Sehic, Cornish? They're non-factors? These are Dunleavy players.
+1. Any quality player EC brought in transferred b/c they knew he couldn't coach .
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
greenie78
Riptide

Show Me wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
DfromCT wrote:Guerry Smith's take on the game:

http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans/ ... 1bdcb.html

Free throws have definitely won us the two conference games. That goes straight to coaching, and those that think Dunleavy is a "has been washed up former NBA coach" should take note. Coach Dunleavy is still learning the college game, but the team has learned a whole lot from him, and is MUCH improved. I'm damned happy he's our coach.
That’s the one thing that most frustrated me about the Conroy teams we couldn’t shoot basic FT’s. I suggested many times to coach to bring in Daryl Moreau to correct the flaws. Daryl is a friend of mine and was one of the greatest FT shooters in the country when he played.
He made over 100 straight while in HS. Thankfully it looks like Dunleavy has corrected any bad habits at the line and it’s paying off bigtime.
Maybe so. But look at the talent Conroy brought in. Hopefully Dunleavy can recruit. I like Daniels but the other players are non factors and are projects at best.
No surprise your ass would show up with a garbage post. At least the smart posters on this forum refuted your sorry claim showing how little you know. Go back to your parent's basement and suck your thumb while coming up with other dumb stuff.
Ruski
Swell

Best part is we'll have everyone back next year except Reynolds!

This team is starting to put together some impressive wins and set up something special for next year!

Apparently there was a 4 star recruit at yesterdays game too!
Eaglewave
Swell

greenie78 wrote:This makes up for the Tulsa loss. Second half shooting won this game. Great win!!
No it doesn't.
Ball Sumrall!
Eaglewave
Swell

The life of a Tulane. Sometimes we feel nuts, sometimes we don't.
Ball Sumrall!
galvezwave
Swell

Tulsa is 10-5 and 3-0 in AAC. I know they're not great but it's not like we lost to prairie view.
netshorty
Surge

Ruski wrote:Best part is we'll have everyone back next year except Reynolds!

This team is starting to put together some impressive wins and set up something special for next year!

As it relates to the importance of a player to team :

Reynolds:Tulane = Michael Jordan:Bulls.

IMO, Saying we only will be losing Reynolds doesn't really bolster an argument for how good next year's team will be.
netshorty
Surge

It is very evident from the individual improvements of Reynolds, Frazier, Paul, Ono Embo and even Ryan Smith last year that Mike Dunleavy is a really good fundamental shooting coach. No doubt that he's improved us in that regard and as a result it has improved us as a team this year.

However, while everyone is jumping on a few posters for highlighting some of concerns about what we've seen so far in other areas, I would agree with those that are somewhat disappointed in "his players" that he brought in. His current freshman class has one very good player. His two transfers are not at all living up to the billing. Paul has seen more minutes than Sehic. Some of that is because of some improvement of Paul but evenso, the hope was that we would see a big upgrade in the post. Cornish has not been good at all. He has nearly as many turnovers as made field goals. He continues to get a bulk of the minutes at the expense of Daniels.
JerseyWave
Riptide

netshorty wrote:It is very evident from the individual improvements of Reynolds, Frazier, Paul, Ono Embo and even Ryan Smith last year that Mike Dunleavy is a really good fundamental shooting coach. No doubt that he's improved us in that regard and as a result it has improved us as a team this year.

However, while everyone is jumping on a few posters for highlighting some of concerns about what we've seen so far in other areas, I would agree with those that are somewhat disappointed in "his players" that he brought in. His current freshman class has one very good player. His two transfers are not at all living up to the billing. Paul has seen more minutes than Sehic. Some of that is because of some improvement of Paul but evenso, the hope was that we would see a big upgrade in the post. Cornish has not been good at all. He has nearly as many turnovers as made field goals. He continues to get a bulk of the minutes at the expense of Daniels.
Cornish, like Malik Morgan before him, has not lived up to the hype. Frazier is vastly improved. Daniels is the real deal. The two Sudanese kids are projects. If they're still at Tulane by their junior year they could be legitimate college big men. Hopefully, the positive vibes in the program will translate to a higher level of recruiting.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

netshorty wrote:

IMO, Saying we only will be losing Reynolds doesn't really bolster an argument for how good next year's team will be.
I understand and agree somewhat with that take. However it took Reynolds 5 years to get to this point. Many went on about him from the get go simply because he looked the part. He didn’t show any real consistency till last year. He can still be off and when he is he’s not even close. So he’s not Jordan. Daniels is way ahead of where he was as a freshman. He’ll be rolling next year. We still don’t know what we have this year but the fall off, if any, won’t be much.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
netshorty
Surge

winwave wrote:
netshorty wrote:

I understand and agree somewhat with that take. However it took Reynolds 5 years to get to this point. Many went on about him from the get go simply because he looked the part. He didn’t show any real consistency till last year. He can still be off and when he is he’s not even close. So he’s not Jordan. Daniels is way ahead of where he was as a freshman. He’ll be rolling next year. We still don’t know what we have this year but the fall off, if any, won’t be much.
Not talking about the progress just where we are today. Today, he is the most important offensive weapon we have. Does that mean that someone can't pick up his production? No. I was only commenting that while only losing one player, he's the most significant one.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Something to note here on Cam. To be fair his first few years he had some bad luck with injuries. He’s finally in the grove after being fully healthy allowing him to reach his potential. His outside 3pt shooting will be missed for sure.
Tulane Class of 1981
GreenLantern
Riptide

winwave wrote:However it took Reynolds 5 years to get to this point. Many went on about him from the get go simply because he looked the part. He didn’t show any real consistency till last year.
Right. Year 1 Cam Reynolds=Kain Harris.

Wow! I'm agreeing with MsDos and WinWave on the same day. Who's next to influence my perspective? Donald Trump? :?
winwave
Top of the WAVE

netshorty wrote:
winwave wrote:
netshorty wrote:

Not talking about the progress just where we are today. Today, he is the most important offensive weapon we have. Does that mean that someone can't pick up his production? No. I was only commenting that while only losing one player, he's the most significant one.
My point is that Daniels is so much more advanced early that by next year he'll be picking up that production. Also while offense always sticks out to fans the argument can be made that Frazier is just as significant. He contributes so much in each area.
DrBox
Riptide

winwave wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:Really? Ona Embo, Sehic, Cornish? They're non-factors? These are Dunleavy players.
+1. Any quality player EC brought in transferred b/c they knew he couldn't coach .
Players would wait until the end of the season in hopes their cellphones would blow up. Osetkowski's did; thankfully, Frazier's did not.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote:Something to note here on Cam. To be fair his first few years he had some bad luck with injuries. He’s finally in the grove after being fully healthy allowing him to reach his potential. His outside 3pt shooting will be missed for sure.

I was being fair. He got injured early one season and got redshirted. He was relatively healthy for the other years. He just wasn't that good. Like I said people were enamored with him b/c he looked the part. He simply didn't really start playing the part consistently till last season.
Robert1969
Riptide

galvezwave wrote:Tulsa is 10-5 and 3-0 in AAC. I know they're not great but it's not like we lost to prairie view.
11-4 and 2-1.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:Something to note here on Cam. To be fair his first few years he had some bad luck with injuries. He’s finally in the grove after being fully healthy allowing him to reach his potential. His outside 3pt shooting will be missed for sure.

I was being fair. He got injured early one season and got redshirted. He was relatively healthy for the other years. He just wasn't that good. Like I said people were enamored with him b/c he looked the part. He simply didn't really start playing the part consistently till last season.
Relatively healthy and fully healthy are two different things especially for an athlete in basketball. He re-injured his same wrist he broke after his redshirt year. Like I said he’s finally fully healthy and it’s showing on the court.
Tulane Class of 1981
RobertM320
Green Wave

Robert1969 wrote:
galvezwave wrote:Tulsa is 10-5 and 3-0 in AAC. I know they're not great but it's not like we lost to prairie view.
11-4 and 2-1.
He was referring to Tulsa, Robert, not Tulane. Tulsa is 10-5 overall, 3-0 in AAC play.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Q for the board: What does this victory do to your expectations for the season? Clearly, most of us were at or around that "7-8 AAC wins" in the other thread before the season started, and most were still there until the Temple game. So what does everyone else expect our overall record to be at the end of the regular season? What are our chances of meaningful (NIT minimum) post-season play?
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V