Tulane Women Basketball

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
DrBox
Riptide
Posts: 3093
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:49 am
Status: Offline

Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:25 am

What, pray tell, is the relevance of her sexual orientation to the discussion?


User avatar
Show Me
Riptide
Posts: 2750
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:24 pm
Location: Saint Bernard
Status: Offline

Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:52 am

DrBox wrote:What, pray tell, is the relevance of her sexual orientation to the discussion?
You wondered why she left.
DrBox
Riptide
Posts: 3093
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:49 am
Status: Offline

Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:16 am

If anything, that makes it more hard to understand.
User avatar
GreenLantern
Swell
Posts: 1585
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:41 pm
Status: Offline

Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:50 am

I don't think it was sexual orientation that made any difference. Looking at Coach Stockton's players, past and present, confirms what I've heard for years: she is very by-the-book and keen on image. No visible tatoos. No piercings. She's somewhat Belichek-like in her philosophy of what is acceptable behavior for players: "Talk little when you lose. Talk even less when you win."

I don't disagree with these positions but it does seem to eliminate a number of players who might make a difference at Tulane. I think you can look at Ms. Emory and understand why she doesn't fit the Stockton profile. Ms. Emory is a talented young woman and I wish her the best. There may very well have been a number of factors that led to her decision to transfer. Clearly among these is her competitive spirit and the desire to play for a winning program on the national stage.
DrBox
Riptide
Posts: 3093
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:49 am
Status: Offline

Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:16 pm

GreenLantern wrote:I don't think it was sexual orientation that made any difference. Looking at Coach Stockton's players, past and present, confirms what I've heard for years: she is very by-the-book and keen on image. No visible tatoos. No piercings. She's somewhat Belichek-like in her philosophy of what is acceptable behavior for players: "Talk little when you lose. Talk even less when you win."

I don't disagree with these positions but it does seem to eliminate a number of players who might make a difference at Tulane. I think you can look at Ms. Emory and understand why she doesn't fit the Stockton profile. Ms. Emory is a talented young woman and I wish her the best. There may very well have been a number of factors that led to her decision to transfer. Clearly among these is her competitive spirit and the desire to play for a winning program on the national stage.
I have no knowledge of what's going on in women's basketball, but your explanation rings true.
You can add grades to that list -- they recruit SAT scores. Coaches don't seem to want to deal with any trouble. That's fine, as long as they are responsible for the wins too.
Another dismal performance tonight.
How is this team supposed to improve next season without Morgan?
anEngineer
High Tide
Posts: 308
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:26 pm
Status: Offline

Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:36 am

My feeling is that when we moved to the AAC, Coach Stockton was so focused on getting bigger, she neglected to make sure she had ball handlers. With Leslie Vorpahl in charge, it was probably easy to keep saying, "We'll get to that next year." This year is next year and there is no one currently capable of handling the point guard job. Breaking the press has become a nightmare and sloppy passes have become turnovers. It's pretty much the same script in every game. If Kolby Morgan doesn't score 25-30 (mostly on 3's), they are not going to win.

Getting a quality point guard is probably not too difficult within Coach Stockton's mold. I think it was just neglected; not that it is a valid excuse.
glennc
Low Tide
Posts: 132
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:03 am
Status: Offline

Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:26 pm

Watch game today. Next year unless we have some good players coming in it is going to be a long season. Morgan will be gone and the rest of the team can't even hit the rim on a layup.
Wavetime
Swell
Posts: 1122
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:11 am
Status: Offline

Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:23 pm

glennc wrote:Watch game today. Next year unless we have some good players coming in it is going to be a long season. Morgan will be gone and the rest of the team can't even hit the rim on a layup.

It did seem like the team did rush today. We were out rebounded almost 2-1, had a major cold streak in the 3rd qtr and yet still had a heck of a comeback in Q4 to pull back within 2pts. We should have lost this game by 20+ points to a better team. I find no fault with today's loss, they left it all out there to a better team.

I do agree with your comment about next year.
DrBox
Riptide
Posts: 3093
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:49 am
Status: Offline

Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:19 am

They played hard - that's wonderful, but they usually play hard. The coaching's usually good too. That's not a problem.
The problem is comfort-zone recruiting.
It's given them a NIT program for a decade, which both Stockton and the administration seem to have been satisfied with (we can tolerate NITs; but should never be satisfied with them).
But the bottom has dropped out this year, and it may be an absolute chasm next year.
DrBox
Riptide
Posts: 3093
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:49 am
Status: Offline

Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:39 pm

And we lose to Memphis by 13 today. That would be 8-18, 3-10 Memphis.
With this and women's golf, we'll find out a lot about TD. He hasn't had to make any real decisions....yet.
User avatar
Bigschtick
Swell
Posts: 2284
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:57 am
Location: Southern California
Status: Offline

Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:38 pm

Lisa needs to be replaced. Nice lady, has done a decent job, time to move on. Will it happen? Nope.
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick!
User avatar
Show Me
Riptide
Posts: 2750
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:24 pm
Location: Saint Bernard
Status: Offline

Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:53 pm

Just saw Nicholls St woman got in. Yes they will be one and done but so what. Get your act together Tulane.
Post Reply