Early NSP

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote:Sorry, I'm at work and also dealing with some personal stuff and I missed the tongue in cheek part. As for reaching our potential in our lifetimes, I'm not absolutely sure that's completely within Tulane's control anymore.
No problem at all. Hope things clear up for you soon and you get to enjoy the holidays.

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Dupergreenie
Surge

RobertM320 wrote:Sorry, I'm at work and also dealing with some personal stuff and I missed the tongue in cheek part. As for reaching our potential in our lifetimes, I'm not absolutely sure that's completely within Tulane's control anymore.
Sorry that you are going through personal stuff during the holidays. Prayers sent.
Dupergreenie
Surge

Has the staff said what position they see Amare Jones at? RB/WR kinda of like what Devin Glenn ahould be? Wildcat?
Wave755
Tsunami

One thing is for sure, I wish Michael Fitts had been our president in 1998 rather than Cowen. 1998, at the dawn of the BCS era with an undefeated team ranked 7th in the nation for the final AP poll, was our chance to make a move but instead Cowen threw the program in reverse.

We live with the consequences of Cowen to this day.

Yet, today was a very good day for Tulane football and its fans. :D
RobertM320
Green Wave

anEngineer wrote:We only move up if our best can beat their best. That's why the UCF/Auburn game is SO important. The AAC has to start showing the ability to play defense. These 62-55 games are not really quality football. You get up to go to the bathroom and each team has already scored again. You can't beat good teams like that; that's why Chip Kelly always came up short at Oregon.
I agree with the UCF/Auburn game being important. But I do question just how much defense is needed. You don't have to be the SEC. Seems that the PAC-12 and Big12 were known for a long time as a 62-55 type of conferences. But we do need to be better, I agree. And it starts with the Peach Bowl. A win there would open a lot of people's eyes.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
RobertM320
Green Wave

Dupergreenie wrote:
Sorry that you are going through personal stuff during the holidays. Prayers sent.
Thanks, Duper and win.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Wave755 wrote: One thing is for sure, I wish Michael Fitts had been our president in 1998 rather than Cowen. 1998, at the dawn of the BCS era with an undefeated team ranked 7th in the nation for the final AP poll, was our chance to make a move but instead Cowen threw the program in reverse.

We live with the consequences of Cowen to this day.

Yet, today was a very good day for Tulane football and its fans. :D
AMEN!

Cowen blew our best chance at getting back into the big leagues. That's what his regime did best: blow hard.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
billow
High Tide

Remember Cowen’s Statement on realignment “it’s like changing deck chairs on the Titanic.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote:
anEngineer wrote:We only move up if our best can beat their best. That's why the UCF/Auburn game is SO important. The AAC has to start showing the ability to play defense. These 62-55 games are not really quality football. You get up to go to the bathroom and each team has already scored again. You can't beat good teams like that; that's why Chip Kelly always came up short at Oregon.
I agree with the UCF/Auburn game being important. But I do question just how much defense is needed. You don't have to be the SEC. Seems that the PAC-12 and Big12 were known for a long time as a 62-55 type of conferences. But we do need to be better, I agree. And it starts with the Peach Bowl. A win there would open a lot of people's eyes.
Chip Kelly did damned well at Oregon, and any AAC program would welcome him as HC with open arms. He "only" became the first coach in PAC 12 history to win the conference outright his first year as HC. He followed that with a last second loss by a score of 22-19 to Cam Newton lead Auburn in the mythical National Championship (BCS) game. In 2011, he "only" finished the year with his Ducks ranked #4 in the nation. He followed that "down year" with a #2 ranking in 2012. Yes, his teams didn't win the National Championship but last second field goals, not a lack of ability to play defense is what cost him. Sometimes it was his kickers missing sometimes it was his opponents making the last second field goals. Some of his biggest games were under 40 points total.

The Auburn-UCF game is HUGE. From what I've learned, Scott Frost is coaching UCF. (BTW: I'll admit I was wrong when I posted in another thread that he wasn't coaching the bowl game) And, my big surprise gift this Christmas is tickets for my daughter to go to the Peach Bowl. A big reward for her, as she's spent three weeks with Zach in the hospital in Boston. Let's hope the Knights can "March On".

320, I hope everything you're dealing with works out. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Dupergreenie wrote:Has the staff said what position they see Amare Jones at? RB/WR kinda of like what Devin Glenn ahould be? Wildcat?
The indications have been RB.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Ok, the early signing period has come and gone, and we did very well. We can add more HS recruits in February, or JC recruits whenever, but the three day early signing period is over. Is Scott still "on the market"?
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DfromCT wrote:Ok, the early signing period has come and gone, and we did very well. We can add more HS recruits in February, or JC recruits whenever, but the three day early signing period is over. Is Scott still "on the market"?
D.... Scott is on the market, only if the Mizzou QB comes back for another year...if he declares for the draft, Scott will end up in Columbia Mizzou..here in metro Austin the Westlake HS Coach, Todd dodge, had some harsh words for "commits" who did not sign during the "early signing period'...saying they are more interested in their ego's being stroked, than being members of a team....there was more to the interview, but that was the main message
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
galvezwave
Swell

golfnut69 wrote:
DfromCT wrote:Ok, the early signing period has come and gone, and we did very well. We can add more HS recruits in February, or JC recruits whenever, but the three day early signing period is over. Is Scott still "on the market"?
D.... Scott is on the market, only if the Mizzou QB comes back for another year...if he declares for the draft, Scott will end up in Columbia Mizzou..here in metro Austin the Westlake HS Coach, Todd dodge, had some harsh words for "commits" who did not sign during the "early signing period'...saying they are more interested in their ego's being stroked, than being members of a team....there was more to the interview, but that was the main message
In Scott's case, I think he's being prudent. Eliminating Kansas does show that the p5 thing is a thing, but maybe not as important as we're led to believe. Mizzou does check some boxes for him. Let him think it through. if the mizzou qb stays , he's a wave. If the mizzou qb leaves, his best chance of starting next year is there. banks has too much time in the system to lose the starting spot.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

galvezwave wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
In Scott's case, I think he's being prudent. Eliminating Kansas does show that the p5 thing is a thing, but maybe not as important as we're led to believe. Mizzou does check some boxes for him. Let him think it through. if the mizzou qb stays , he's a wave. If the mizzou qb leaves, his best chance of starting next year is there. banks has too much time in the system to lose the starting spot.
if he signs great...if he does not, great...QB is the least of my worries...JUCO's will be playing ball again next year
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
GreenLantern
Riptide

galvezwave wrote: In Scott's case, I think he's being prudent. Eliminating Kansas does show that the p5 thing is a thing, but maybe not as important as we're led to believe. Mizzou does check some boxes for him. Let him think it through. if the mizzou qb stays , he's a wave. If the mizzou qb leaves, his best chance of starting next year is there. banks has too much time in the system to lose the starting spot.
Agree with all except the part about "banks has too much time in the system to lose the starting spot".

I think you are underestimating Coach Fritz's committment to winning football games. IF Missouri QB Drew Lock left for the draft, and IF Scott chose Tulane over other options (and there will be more), and IF in the coach's estimation, Scott offers the best chance to win, he will be playing for Tulane against Wake Forest. That's a lot of IFs. I'm not planning on Scott wearing olive and blue, but if he does I'll be as happy as anyone.
JerseyWave
Riptide

I think we did great with the early signing period. I love the Defensive lineman in this class. Fritz and staff have really stepped it up in the recruiting game. After two years at Tulane they can sell New Orleans and Tulane much better and they understand what they need to win games in the AAC. By now his Georgia Southern prospect data base should be empty.

As for the QB situation...The Missouri QB leaving early would be a mistake. I've seen several 2018 mock drafts that have SIX QBs going in the first round and the Missouri QB isn't one of them. As for Scott, I could care less what he does. He clearly doesn't think highly of Tulane, he's had more than enough opportunity to commit. Banks steadily improved during the season and should be entrenched as the starter. Let McClain and Daniels battle it out for back up and heir apparent in 2019.
Wave755
Tsunami

JerseyWave wrote:I think we did great with the early signing period. I love the Defensive lineman in this class. Fritz and staff have really stepped it up in the recruiting game. After two years at Tulane they can sell New Orleans and Tulane much better and they understand what they need to win games in the AAC. By now his Georgia Southern prospect data base should be empty.

As for the QB situation...The Missouri QB leaving early would be a mistake. I've seen several 2018 mock drafts that have SIX QBs going in the first round and the Missouri QB isn't one of them. As for Scott, I could care less what he does. He clearly doesn't think highly of Tulane, he's had more than enough opportunity to commit. Banks steadily improved during the season and should be entrenched as the starter. Let McClain and Daniels battle it out for back up and heir apparent in 2019.
+1, on Scott. Time for Scott to "shit or get off the pot."
galvezwave
Swell

GreenLantern wrote:
galvezwave wrote: In Scott's case, I think he's being prudent. Eliminating Kansas does show that the p5 thing is a thing, but maybe not as important as we're led to believe. Mizzou does check some boxes for him. Let him think it through. if the mizzou qb stays , he's a wave. If the mizzou qb leaves, his best chance of starting next year is there. banks has too much time in the system to lose the starting spot.
Agree with all except the part about "banks has too much time in the system to lose the starting spot".

I think you are underestimating Coach Fritz's committment to winning football games. IF Missouri QB Drew Lock left for the draft, and IF Scott chose Tulane over other options (and there will be more), and IF in the coach's estimation, Scott offers the best chance to win, he will be playing for Tulane against Wake Forest. That's a lot of IFs. I'm not planning on Scott wearing olive and blue, but if he does I'll be as happy as anyone.
Of course. I should have started that sentence with an "IMO".
galvezwave
Swell

Wave755 wrote:
JerseyWave wrote:I think we did great with the early signing period. I love the Defensive lineman in this class. Fritz and staff have really stepped it up in the recruiting game. After two years at Tulane they can sell New Orleans and Tulane much better and they understand what they need to win games in the AAC. By now his Georgia Southern prospect data base should be empty.

+1, on Scott. Time for Scott to "sh*t or get off the pot."
A little harsh. It's a difficult decision. Scott needs to get this one right. I don't believe he's being given the best advice. WF not moving on tells me he really wants the kid.
GreenLantern
Riptide

Wave755 wrote:Time for Scott to "defecate or remove himself from the convenience."
FIFY. Keep in mind that there are LSUgh and ULaLa grads and fans that troll this site. They are easily influenced and we should do everything we can to set an appropriate example.
Wave755
Tsunami

GreenLantern wrote:
Wave755 wrote:Time for Scott to "defecate or remove himself from the convenience."
FIFY. Keep in mind that there are LSUgh and ULaLa grads and fans that troll this site. They are easily influenced and we should do everything we can to set an appropriate example.
Thank you GreenLantern, my frustration with Scott got the better of me. I will heed your counsel. And, I find quite noble your desire that through this forum we also help edify, elevate and instruct even the underprivileged and mentally challenged (LSWho & ULALA grads).:thumbup: :-D :wink:
Wavetrader
Low Tide

Wave755 wrote:
GreenLantern wrote:
Thank you GreenLantern, my frustration with Scott got the better of me. I will heed your counsel. And, I find quite noble your desire that through this forum we also help edify, elevate and instruct even the underprivileged and mentally challenged (LSWho & ULALA grads).:thumbup: :-D :wink:
And don't forget we need to keep up appearances for the Yogies too. Although they deny visiting this site, most are up to speed with all that is posted here.
"There is winning and there is misery". BP
Jaxwave
Swell

I don’t like the whole Jeremiah Johnson hasn’t been cleared to enroll. Does that mean just early enrollment or does he still have work to do in the classroom? Hopefully, this is not the reason he was available for us to sign.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Jaxwave wrote:I don’t like the whole Jeremiah Johnson hasn’t been cleared to enroll. Does that mean just early enrollment or does he still have work to do in the classroom? Hopefully, this is not the reason he was available for us to sign.

I do not think Fritz would have recruited the young man if he thought there would be an academic issue...