Fritz Contract extension to 2023

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 6:04 pm Kansas will have the money to buy him out if they want him. You can be sure he's aware of the possibilities and didn't get himself boxed in.
Still like to know. We knew David Pierce had a $1 million buyout for which Tulane is still getting paid on.
https://www.burntorangenation.com/platf ... an-Heefner

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

No, but if he bolts one year after signing the extension, the buyout should be close to the value of the remaining years. Kansas (or any P5) can still afford it, but they might link buying out his contract to him agreeing to staying a certain number of years for that to "vest".

Who knows? Let's see him win 8 against this pretty tough schedule, and be happy to have the problem. Right now I still think it's preliminary to talk about him getting hired away.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Now does Mike Fitts or the Board give Dannen an extension to keep him from going to Kansas? :mrgreen:
Tulane Class of 1981
JerseyWave
Riptide

Again, at this point, how could Kansas sell Fritz to their boosters? He’s 9-15 at Tulane, and at age 58, has never been affiliated with any P5 school. Only connection is he’s from Kansas. Now if Tulane goes 10-2 this year it’s a different story, but Kansas is more likely to hire a Coach affiliated with an elite P5 school.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

winwave wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 6:04 pm Kansas will have the money to buy him out if they want him. You can be sure he's aware of the possibilities and didn't get himself boxed in.
This. His salary was $1.5M or less and Tulane hasn’t been successful enough to make the demands that Houston did for its coach, so it won’t be anywhere near high enough to scare away Kansas if it wants him.

As a side note, even if the Kansas fanbase didn’t want him, they have to know by now that the number of seemingly worthwhile coaches that would be interested in taking that job would be small.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

JerseyWave wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 7:44 pm Again, at this point, how could Kansas sell Fritz to their boosters? He’s 9-15 at Tulane, and at age 58, has never been affiliated with any P5 school. Only connection is he’s from Kansas. Now if Tulane goes 10-2 this year it’s a different story, but Kansas is more likely to hire a Coach affiliated with an elite P5 school.
Depends also on who they hire as AD. To add a friend pointed out to me today that only 7 wins came against FBS schools.
Tulane Class of 1981
msdos
Swell

tpstulane wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 6:32 pm Now does Mike Fitts or the Board give Dannen an extension to keep him from going to Kansas? :mrgreen:
Why would they? Dannen’s the moron who gave a 5 year extension to a coach with 2 losing seasons.
If Kansas is stupid enough to take him, good fucking riddance.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

msdos wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 8:40 pm
tpstulane wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 6:32 pm Now does Mike Fitts or the Board give Dannen an extension to keep him from going to Kansas? :mrgreen:
Why would they? Dannen’s the moron who gave a 5 year extension to a coach with 2 losing seasons.
If Kansas is stupid enough to take him, good f**cking riddance.
It was meant in jest. I should have did the wink ;)
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 6:11 pm
Still like to know. We knew David Pierce had a $1 million buyout for which Tulane is still getting paid on.
https://www.burntorangenation.com/platf ... an-Heefner
Of course. We all want to know. But that was written by someone outside of Tulane. He probably got that from someone involved in the negotiations. With Tulane being a private though that's probably not going to happen unless WF gets involved in negotiations with someone and one side or the other leaks it. But as you agreed above Kansas will be able to afford it. Hell they can't not pay to get who they want.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 6:26 pm No, but if he bolts one year after signing the extension, the buyout should be close to the value of the remaining years. Kansas (or any P5) can still afford it, but they might link buying out his contract to him agreeing to staying a certain number of years for that to "vest".

Who knows? Let's see him win 8 against this pretty tough schedule, and be happy to have the problem. Right now I still think it's preliminary to talk about him getting hired away.
Doesn't really work that way anymore. As someone posted here we don't have that much leverage. You can bet his camp made sure the number won't hinder his possible movement. If they didn't he needs to get new people. This schedule isn't all that tough. That's why many are hopeful we will in fact win at least 8 this year.
Last edited by winwave on Tue May 22, 2018 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

JerseyWave wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 7:44 pm Again, at this point, how could Kansas sell Fritz to their boosters? He’s 9-15 at Tulane, and at age 58, has never been affiliated with any P5 school. Only connection is he’s from Kansas. Now if Tulane goes 10-2 this year it’s a different story, but Kansas is more likely to hire a Coach affiliated with an elite P5 school.
That's what the whole conversation is about. If he wins 8 or more here he'd be an easy sell with the poor rep our program has.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

It's a two year extension. He signed a 6 year contract to start with, and was extended two years. Unless the new contract has a significant buyout, there was no reason to sign him to an extension. None.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Aberzombie1892
Swell

DfromCT wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 7:24 am
It's a two year extension. He signed a 6 year contract to start with, and was extended two years. Unless the new contract has a significant buyout, there was no reason to sign him to an extension. None.
Not necessarily. It's customary at the FBS level for coaches to always have 4 years remaining on their contract so that they can sell to prospective recruits that they will still be the coach for all of the recruits time at that program if they commit to that program. Also, Fritz probably received some sort of raise and the buyout was likely increased some, however, neither the raise nor the buyout increase are likely significant enough to make a difference.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 4:14 pm
Jaxwave wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 4:11 pm
tpstulane wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 2:39 pm
Show Me wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 2:30 pm I guess Dannen needs a history lesson. Bennie Ellender got a 10 year extension once and was fired two years later. Tulane was on the hook for 8 years. Funny thing was Tulane kept sending him a check for years after he was paid off. No one at Tulane thought to investigate.
True story. Only at Tulane.
My understanding is that Ellender chose to take the checks spread out years into the future rather than a lump sum and Tulane agreed to do so. Not sure he got any "extra" checks.
Yes. It was paid out over time as are most. Les Miles still getting paid etc.
Once Ellender reached his full payout the checks continued on until an audit caught it.
Rix Yard was replaced in 1976 by Hindman Wall and then Wall left over the point shaving scandal and somehow it slipped through the cracks with the athletic dept turnover during those years. Not sure how one would prove or disprove that but I had heard that years ago.
Typical of the past Tulane Brain Trusts. How long did the checks keep going? til Bennie expired?
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
HoustonWave
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 2:38 pm Need to know the buyout amount.
We need to know both buy out amounts. Perhaps this extension will give us a big pay day if Willie does get hijacked. I'm still confident that Fritz can and will turn our football program around--this is all feeling like a repeat of the Larry Smith era. I think our longer term risk is that he is hired away--more so than the risk that he lays an egg here at Tulane. Fritz and his staff are vastly more competent that the three ring circuses that Cow/Dick gave us--no point worrying about another Toledo or CJ repeat.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

HoustonWave wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 3:44 pm
tpstulane wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 4:14 pm
Jaxwave wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 4:11 pm
tpstulane wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 2:39 pm
Show Me wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 2:30 pm I guess Dannen needs a history lesson. Bennie Ellender got a 10 year extension once and was fired two years later. Tulane was on the hook for 8 years. Funny thing was Tulane kept sending him a check for years after he was paid off. No one at Tulane thought to investigate.
True story. Only at Tulane.
My understanding is that Ellender chose to take the checks spread out years into the future rather than a lump sum and Tulane agreed to do so. Not sure he got any "extra" checks.
Yes. It was paid out over time as are most. Les Miles still getting paid etc.
Once Ellender reached his full payout the checks continued on until an audit caught it.
Rix Yard was replaced in 1976 by Hindman Wall and then Wall left over the point shaving scandal and somehow it slipped through the cracks with the athletic dept turnover during those years. Not sure how one would prove or disprove that but I had heard that years ago.
Typical of the past Tulane Brain Trusts. How long did the checks keep going? til Bennie expired?
I can’t remember. But it was some time after he reached his full settlement.
Tulane Class of 1981
HoustonWave
Tsunami

I don't think even Fritz can turn the Kansas football program around, in today's world. That said, Fritz might be a good fit for Kansas, because whoever they hire probably won't ever be a head coach again. In Willie's case, if he can get a fat 5 to 7 year guaranteed contract from Kansas, that might fit just right for his timeline to retirement. He just has to make sure any such contract is guaranteed--no matter what happens on the field.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

HoustonWave wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 4:05 pm I don't think even Fritz can turn the Kansas football program around, in today's world. That said, Fritz might be a good fit for Kansas, because whoever they hire probably won't ever be a head coach again. In Willie's case, if he can get a fat 5 to 7 year guaranteed contract from Kansas, that might fit just right for his timeline to retirement. He just has to make sure any such contract is guaranteed--no matter what happens on the field.
Probably at least double his salary from here.
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 4:10 pm
HoustonWave wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 4:05 pm I don't think even Fritz can turn the Kansas football program around, in today's world. That said, Fritz might be a good fit for Kansas, because whoever they hire probably won't ever be a head coach again. In Willie's case, if he can get a fat 5 to 7 year guaranteed contract from Kansas, that might fit just right for his timeline to retirement. He just has to make sure any such contract is guaranteed--no matter what happens on the field.
Lawrence, KS was burned to the ground years ago, and they are still trying to recover !!
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
HoustonWave
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 5:04 pm
Lawrence, KS was burned to the ground years ago, and they are still trying to recover !!
I don't disagree with that. The environment of living in New Orleans vs Lawrence couldn't be more different. I would think it would be very hard to go from N.O. to Kansas. I know Fritz's daughter is a reporter with a Houston TV station, and his son works on the Tulane staff. Does he still have any family back in Kansas? I've always felt that whether we can keep Fritz may come down to what he and his wife think of New Orleans--do they like living in N.O.?
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

HoustonWave wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 6:12 pm
golfnut69 wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 5:04 pm
I don't disagree with that. The environment of living in New Orleans vs Lawrence couldn't be more different. I would think it would be very hard to go from N.O. to Kansas. I know Fritz's daughter is a reporter with a Houston TV station, and his son works on the Tulane staff. Does he still have any family back in Kansas? I've always felt that whether we can keep Fritz may come down to what he and his wife think of New Orleans--do they like living in N.O.?
Probably come down to P5 and money. Not so much location.
Tulane Class of 1981
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Good point made in the comments on the NOLA.com article.

http://www.nola.com/tulane/index.ssf/20 ... iver_index
Fritz, 9-15 after 1st 2 years and gets contract extended. Curtis Johnson after 2 years, 9 -16. "Since he was named head coach, Fritz has had three student-athletes selected in the NFL Draft, including two last month." These players were recruited by the previous staff. The previous staff did not leave the cupboard bare.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
Aberzombie1892
Swell

NOLABigSteve wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 8:47 am Good point made in the comments on the NOLA.com article.

Fritz, 9-15 after 1st 2 years and gets contract extended. Curtis Johnson after 2 years, 9 -16. "Since he was named head coach, Fritz has had three student-athletes selected in the NFL Draft, including two last month." These players were recruited by the previous staff. The previous staff did not leave the cupboard bare.
This! I understand the criticism of the former staff, but we clearly have a double standard in terms of the extension.

Nevertheless, let's see what happens in 2018, but, if Tulane doesn't make a bowl, we probably should just let Kansas have him.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Aberzombie1892 wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 11:33 am
NOLABigSteve wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 8:47 am Good point made in the comments on the NOLA.com article.

This! I understand the criticism of the former staff, but we clearly have a double standard in terms of the extension.

Nevertheless, let's see what happens in 2018, but, if Tulane doesn't make a bowl, we probably should just let Kansas have him.
double standard ?!...Bull Shit....at least this staff had the team competitive in just about every damn game...can U say that much for the previous nightmare of a staff.....CJ could not coach a bowel movement, even if he took a box of ex-lax....so whoever posted that in the comment section is a f^@%ing moron, or CJ's cousin
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Ruski
Swell

golfnut69 wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 11:54 am
Aberzombie1892 wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 11:33 am

double standard ?!...Bull sh*t....at least this staff had the team competitive in just about every damn game...can U say that much for the previous nightmare of a staff.....CJ could not coach a bowel movement, even if he took a box of ex-lax....so whoever posted that in the comment section is a f^@%ing moron, or CJ's cousin
Totally agree. While the pure win totals seem like there's a double standard let's acknowledge that CJ was in years 3 and 4, not 1 and 2. Also look at these point totals (someone (please check my arithmetic)

CJ
Points For Points Against
2014: 192 341
2015: 236 435

WF
2016: 289 332
2017: 330 350

The gut feeling that our games are closer is statistically true.