Fritz Contract extension to 2023

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:
DfromCT wrote:If Tulane actually declined a bowl bid, that's the first I've heard of it. It would have been the first time to a Bowl since Mack Davis, If I'm not mistaken. But they were 7-4. Woody, Tim, can you guys confirm? I was not nearly as close to the team as I was working long hours on Wall St. at the time.

Win, I'm not doubting you, just surprised I'd never heard that.

BTW: SMU playing like crap in wake of coaching change. Turned it over 2 or 3 times already, down 14-0 early.
We turned down the Humanitarian Bowl in Boise and as I said the main reason was b/c Bowden wanted to spend the time on recruiting. Some love to talk about those 15 extra practices you get but those early minor Bowls like that don't provide the time for that. Money wise you lose money b/c you pay for the travel cost of all involved. I get that you might have missed it then but it's been discussed on all these sites and it was definitely brought up on this site in at least the last 6 months. That's why I said that the MAIN REASON was Bowden wanting to use the time to recruit. Many love to have their theories but I follow this closely without lapse and that was the biggie. Cincy took our place and played them in basketball. No reason we wouldn't have done the same as we played many low level OOC's in basketball back then .
Yep Tulane declined. But it also had to do with money. Tulane administration needed to pony up a bunch of guaranteed ticket sales and would have lost about $300,000 or so going to it. May have even been more. Going off of memory.

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:
DfromCT wrote:If Tulane actually declined a bowl bid, that's the first I've heard of it. It would have been the first time to a Bowl since Mack Davis, If I'm not mistaken. But they were 7-4. Woody, Tim, can you guys confirm? I was not nearly as close to the team as I was working long hours on Wall St. at the time.

BTW: SMU playing like crap in wake of coaching change. Turned it over 2 or 3 times already, down 14-0 early.
We turned down the Humanitarian Bowl in Boise and as I said the main reason was b/c Bowden wanted to spend the time on recruiting. Some love to talk about those 15 extra practices you get but those early minor Bowls like that don't provide the time for that. Money wise you lose money b/c you pay for the travel cost of all involved. I get that you might have missed it then but it's been discussed on all these sites and it was definitely brought up on this site in at least the last 6 months. That's why I said that the MAIN REASON was Bowden wanting to use the time to recruit. Many love to have their theories but I follow this closely without lapse and that was the biggie. Cincy took our place and played them in basketball. No reason we wouldn't have done the same as we played many low level OOC's in basketball back then .
Yep Tulane declined. But it also had to do with money. Tulane administration needed to pony up a bunch of guaranteed ticket sales and would have lost about $300,000 or so going to it. May have even been more. Going off of memory.
That was also a reason and I noted that as I said teams lose money on these type of games. But remember Sandy was the AD and she supported Bowden. If he said he wanted to go to the Bowl b/c it would be good for the program she would have supported that.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:

That was also a reason and I noted that as I said teams lose money on these type of games. But remember Sandy was the AD and she supported Bowden. If he said he wanted to go to the Bowl b/c it would be good for the program she would have supported that.
Yes. For sure.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
pansdad
Ripple

I always wondered why we did not go bowling in 1997. I don't think we (or anyone) should refuse an invite to a bowl game, even if it costs money. Things were definitely different then. If only, if only, if only we had hired RR?????
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Tulane declined a Rose Bowl invite in 1925 in order to keep their student athletes in class. That may have been Tulane's best team ever, as the only blemish was a tie to Missou, and shut outs in 6 of 10 games. They went undefeated again in 1929 and 1931, with a loss to Northwestern in 1930 preventing them from having a 3 year stretch of undefeated seasons. They did go to the Rose Bowl in 1932, and the money earned from that Rose Bowl financed Fogelman Arena's construction.

Sometime in the next 4 years maybe we'll go to a New Year's bowl game, and the paycheck can finance an upper deck on the West side of stadium, NIMBYs be damned!
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
netshorty
Surge

DfromCT wrote:Tulane declined a Rose Bowl invite in 1925 in order to keep their student athletes in class. That may have been Tulane's best team ever, as the only blemish was a tie to Missou, and shut outs in 6 of 10 games. They went undefeated again in 1929 and 1931, with a loss to Northwestern in 1930 preventing them from having a 3 year stretch of undefeated seasons. They did go to the Rose Bowl in 1932, and the money earned from that Rose Bowl financed Fogelman Arena's construction.

Sometime in the next 4 years maybe we'll go to a New Year's bowl game, and the paycheck can finance an upper deck on the West side of stadium, NIMBYs be damned!
Awesome piece of history D. Thanks for posting.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

netshorty wrote:
DfromCT wrote:Tulane declined a Rose Bowl invite in 1925 in order to keep their student athletes in class. That may have been Tulane's best team ever, as the only blemish was a tie to Missou, and shut outs in 6 of 10 games. They went undefeated again in 1929 and 1931, with a loss to Northwestern in 1930 preventing them from having a 3 year stretch of undefeated seasons. They did go to the Rose Bowl in 1932, and the money earned from that Rose Bowl financed Fogelman Arena's construction.

Awesome piece of history D. Thanks for posting.
just a note of Fogelman....as I understand, when it was constructed it was the first such building that was "heated" in the south...and one other FYI, when Tulane turned down the Rose Bowl invite, little sister Alabama was then invited, the invite was so important, it is now noted in their "Fight Song'
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... N__wQJbGAh
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
IM42lane
Swell

DfromCT wrote: Tulane declined a Rose Bowl invite in 1925 in order to keep their student athletes in class. That may have been Tulane's best team ever, as the only blemish was a tie to Missou, and shut outs in 6 of 10 games. They went undefeated again in 1929 and 1931, with a loss to Northwestern in 1930 preventing them from having a 3 year stretch of undefeated seasons. They did go to the Rose Bowl in 1932, and the money earned from that Rose Bowl financed Fogelman Arena's construction.

Sometime in the next 4 years maybe we'll go to a New Year's bowl game, and the paycheck can finance an upper deck on the WEST side of the stadium, NIMBYs be damned!
AGREE, but does Yulman have enough spare room on the WEST side to even consider such an expansion? NIMBY back yards are very close to that side of the stadium .
Regards,
"Pete" Madere
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

IM42lane wrote:
DfromCT wrote: Tulane declined a Rose Bowl invite in 1925 in order to keep their student athletes in class. That may have been Tulane's best team ever, as the only blemish was a tie to Missou, and shut outs in 6 of 10 games. They went undefeated again in 1929 and 1931, with a loss to Northwestern in 1930 preventing them from having a 3 year stretch of undefeated seasons. They did go to the Rose Bowl in 1932, and the money earned from that Rose Bowl financed Fogelman Arena's construction.

Sometime in the next 4 years maybe we'll go to a New Year's bowl game, and the paycheck can finance an upper deck on the WEST side of the stadium, NIMBYs be damned!
AGREE, but does Yulman have enough spare room on the WEST side to even consider such an expansion? NIMBY back yards are very close to that side of the stadium .
It would have to be mostly overhanging the low level, and not extend too much further away from the field. Something steep, that would make that side of the stadium (which I believe seats as many or close to as many as the other side) less of an eyesore.
Wavetime
Swell

DfromCT wrote:
IM42lane wrote:

It would have to be mostly overhanging the low level, and not extend too much further away from the field. Something steep, that would make that side of the stadium (which I believe seats as many or close to as many as the other side) less of an eyesore.
I'd be happy with just moving up the press box and turning that area back into the seats that it was designed for. That press box makes that really nice stadium look small time....just my opinion
Wavetrader
Low Tide

Wavetime wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
IM42lane wrote:

I'd be happy with just moving up the press box and turning that area back into the seats that it was designed for. That press box makes that really nice stadium look small time....just my opinion
Concur on the press box. It screams small time. Put it on top of the East Side.
"There is winning and there is misery". BP
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

A simple solution...Flood Audubon Place
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Wavetrader wrote:
Wavetime wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
IM42lane wrote:

Good luck with that. It would require an entire re-build of the middle sections as the press box was part of the steel framing early on in the building process. I don't disagree, I just think it's part of the basic structure of the West side of the stadium.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DfromCT wrote:
Wavetrader wrote:
Wavetime wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
IM42lane wrote:

Good luck with that. It would require an entire re-build of the middle sections as the press box was part of the steel framing early on in the building process. I don't disagree, I just think it's part of the basic structure of the West side of the stadium.
have I misunderstood...I thought that POS on the west side was for the coaching staffs...the "Press" is located on the east side
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

No, Woody, it's the James W. Wilson Jr. Press Center.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

The TV cameras were moved to the east side but the press is till on the west side.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DfromCT wrote:No, Woody, it's the James W. Wilson Jr. Press Center.
let's look on the bright side...they are close to the action and U don't have to be afraid of heights, just in case you have vertigo...plus, U get to be "one" with the fans
pansdad
Ripple

The few times I have attended YouKnowWho stadium I felt like I was about to tumble over, all the way to the bottom. With all of the additions they have done I can't imagine it being any better. No wonder that after a few imbibements things often got rough in the old days when there WAS a rivalry.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Sometimes the announcers aren't even in New Orleans.
Hippiecoog
Trickle

He should donate a percentage of that extension money to Applewhite. Can't wait til we buy out his contract at the end of next season.
GreenLantern
Riptide

Hippiecoog wrote:He should donate a percentage of that extension money to Applewhite. Can't wait til we buy out his contract at the end of next season.
Maybe it wasn't Applewhite. Maybe Tulane was just the better team. In any case, here's a Christmas card to you.
https://twitter.com/GreenWaveFB/status/ ... 3199042561
Hippiecoog
Trickle

GreenLantern wrote:
Hippiecoog wrote:He should donate a percentage of that extension money to Applewhite. Can't wait til we buy out his contract at the end of next season.
Maybe it wasn't Applewhite. Maybe Tulane was just the better team. In any case, here's a Christmas card to you.

Good coaches don't lose to Bottom 10 programs like Tulane. Anybody watching the game knows that Tulane was overmatched even with their gimmicky offense.
GreenLantern
Riptide

Hippiecoog wrote:
GreenLantern wrote:

Good coaches don't lose to Bottom 10 programs like Tulane. Anybody watching the game knows that Tulane was overmatched even with their gimmicky offense.
See you next year in Houston. Merry Christmas.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Hippiecoog wrote:
GreenLantern wrote:

Tulsa is bottom 10, Tulane isn’t even close and should have been bowling.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Kim Helton may be available....