Fritz Contract extension to 2023

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 1:48 pm It's official:

http://tulanegreenwave.com/news/2018/5/ ... -2023.aspx
WHEW !!!!...now Rich Rod can interview for the Kansas job...where allergies should not be an issue for his wife !!!

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Aberzombie1892
Swell

NOLABigSteve wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 1:48 pm Contract extended to 2023. :shock: Ridiculous considering 2 losing seasons. Sorry, not sorry.
All joking aside, Kansas firing its AD probably forced Tulane to do something, as the firing of their AD indicated that their coach will probably be fired by the end of next season.

That being said, the extension itself won't stop Kansas if it wants Fritz.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Aberzombie1892 wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 2:08 pm
NOLABigSteve wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 1:48 pm Contract extended to 2023. :shock: Ridiculous considering 2 losing seasons. Sorry, not sorry.
All joking aside, Kansas firing its AD probably forced Tulane to do something, as the firing of their AD indicated that their coach will probably be fired by the end of next season.

You're right. Reading that article just makes me want to puke though. Losers cite statistics. Winners let their record speak for itself. If Tulane and Fritz don't do anything this year, we should all be livid.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
Aberzombie1892
Swell

NOLABigSteve wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 2:10 pm

You're right. Reading that article just makes me want to puke though. Losers cite statistics. Winners let their record speak for itself. If Tulane and Fritz don't do anything this year, we should all be livid.
The statistics are fine, but they don't add up to much given Tulane hasn't quite reached 6 regular season wins yet, and Fritz has been at Tulane long enough to not have to go back to his previous coaching jobs to cite positive outcomes (i.e. all of the conference/national titles).
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Aberzombie1892 wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 2:21 pm

The statistics are fine, but they don't add up to much given Tulane hasn't quite reached 6 regular season wins yet, and Fritz has been at Tulane long enough to not have to go back to his previous coaching jobs to cite positive outcomes (i.e. all of the conference/national titles).
At the end of the day, the only stat that matters is Wins and Losses. And we better start winning.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
Show Me
Tsunami

I guess Dannen needs a history lesson. Bennie Ellender got a 10 year extension once and was fired two years later. Tulane was on the hook for 8 years. Funny thing was Tulane kept sending him a check for years after he was paid off. No one at Tulane thought to investigate.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Show Me wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 2:30 pm I guess Dannen needs a history lesson. Bennie Ellender got a 10 year extension once and was fired two years later. Tulane was on the hook for 8 years. Funny thing was Tulane kept sending him a check for years after he was paid off. No one at Tulane thought to investigate.
Sounds like Cowen. He's still living off the Tulane Teat.

But getting back on topic, now that it's official, let the bitching, moaning and whining begin!

The article has very few details. How about letting us know if the extension includes buyout penalties if he leaves, what the salary is, etc.
Last edited by DfromCT on Tue May 22, 2018 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Aberzombie1892
Swell

NOLABigSteve wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 2:29 pm
Aberzombie1892 wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 2:21 pm

At the end of the day, the only stat that matters is Wins and Losses. And we better start winning.
Agreed. If Fritz doesn't win at least 6 this year, his seat should be super hot on Tulane's end.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Need to know the buyout amount.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Show Me wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 2:30 pm I guess Dannen needs a history lesson. Bennie Ellender got a 10 year extension once and was fired two years later. Tulane was on the hook for 8 years. Funny thing was Tulane kept sending him a check for years after he was paid off. No one at Tulane thought to investigate.
True story. Only at Tulane.
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:47 pm
DfromCT wrote:If Tulane actually declined a bowl bid, that's the first I've heard of it. It would have been the first time to a Bowl since Mack Davis, If I'm not mistaken. But they were 7-4. Woody, Tim, can you guys confirm? I was not nearly as close to the team as I was working long hours on Wall St. at the time.

Win, I'm not doubting you, just surprised I'd never heard that.

BTW: SMU playing like crap in wake of coaching change. Turned it over 2 or 3 times already, down 14-0 early.
We turned down the Humanitarian Bowl in Boise and as I said the main reason was b/c Bowden wanted to spend the time on recruiting. Some love to talk about those 15 extra practices you get but those early minor Bowls like that don't provide the time for that. Money wise you lose money b/c you pay for the travel cost of all involved. I get that you might have missed it then but it's been discussed on all these sites and it was definitely brought up on this site in at least the last 6 months. That's why I said that the MAIN REASON was Bowden wanting to use the time to recruit. Many love to have their theories but I follow this closely without lapse and that was the biggie. Cincy took our place and played them in basketball. No reason we wouldn't have done the same as we played many low level OOC's in basketball back then .
DCT
Just read through this thread. To clarify, travel expenses are minor - you lose money on those minor bowls because you are obligated to buy 20000 tickets as an offset to the bowl payout - that is where the loss comes in, not because of travel. When a conference team accepts Hawaii bowl which has considerable travel expenses, the league subsidizes those travel costs.
Tulane Class of 1981
msdos
Swell

mistakes were made
Jaxwave
Swell

tpstulane wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 2:39 pm
My understanding is that Ellender chose to take the checks spread out years into the future rather than a lump sum and Tulane agreed to do so. Not sure he got any "extra" checks.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Jaxwave wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 4:11 pm
tpstulane wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 2:39 pm
My understanding is that Ellender chose to take the checks spread out years into the future rather than a lump sum and Tulane agreed to do so. Not sure he got any "extra" checks.
Yes. It was paid out over time as are most. Les Miles still getting paid etc.
Once Ellender reached his full payout the checks continued on until an audit caught it.
Rix Yard was replaced in 1976 by Hindman Wall and then Wall left over the point shaving scandal and somehow it slipped through the cracks with the athletic dept turnover during those years. Not sure how one would prove or disprove that but I had heard that years ago.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 3:43 pm
winwave wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:47 pm
DfromCT wrote:If Tulane actually declined a bowl bid, that's the first I've heard of it. It would have been the first time to a Bowl since Mack Davis, If I'm not mistaken. But they were 7-4. Woody, Tim, can you guys confirm? I was not nearly as close to the team as I was working long hours on Wall St. at the time.

Win, I'm not doubting you, just surprised I'd never heard that.

BTW: SMU playing like crap in wake of coaching change. Turned it over 2 or 3 times already, down 14-0 early.
We turned down the Humanitarian Bowl in Boise and as I said the main reason was b/c Bowden wanted to spend the time on recruiting. Some love to talk about those 15 extra practices you get but those early minor Bowls like that don't provide the time for that. Money wise you lose money b/c you pay for the travel cost of all involved. I get that you might have missed it then but it's been discussed on all these sites and it was definitely brought up on this site in at least the last 6 months. That's why I said that the MAIN REASON was Bowden wanting to use the time to recruit. Many love to have their theories but I follow this closely without lapse and that was the biggie. Cincy took our place and played them in basketball. No reason we wouldn't have done the same as we played many low level OOC's in basketball back then .
DCT
Just read through this thread. To clarify, travel expenses are minor - you lose money on those minor bowls because you are obligated to buy 20000 tickets as an offset to the bowl payout - that is where the loss comes in, not because of travel. When a conference team accepts Hawaii bowl which has considerable travel expenses, the league subsidizes those travel costs.
The ticket allotment is certainly a major cost too but teams in those very minor Bowls are not required to buy 20,000. Back then for that Bowl it was probably between 5,000 to 10,000.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Depending on how you read this article it appears they weren't even required to buy a certain allotment but did agree to get the invite or they had to buy only 5,000:

https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=E ... %2C3031883
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I could see us drawing very few spectators to Boise, Idaho in December.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Hard to believe Tommy Bowden never coached us in a bowl game. 18-4 record in two years.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 5:02 pm Hard to believe Tommy Bowden never coached us in a bowl game. 18-4 record in two years.
Oddly enough by his own choice . He didn't want to play in the Bowl in '97 and left for Clemson in '98.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 5:22 pm
tpstulane wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 5:02 pm Hard to believe Tommy Bowden never coached us in a bowl game. 18-4 record in two years.
Oddly enough by his own choice . He didn't want to play in the Bowl in '97 and left for Clemson in '98.
Yep
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 5:27 pm Fritz to Kansas makes sense:

https://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.c ... -2023/amp/
That's one reason we'd like to know the buyout. But at the same time, I think Fritz would need no less than 8 wins this season for the Jayhawk faithful to buy in. He'd go through a few losing seasons before turning it around there, and I'm not sure they're ready for that, coupled with a less than conventional offense.

I'd hate to lose him after an 8 win season, but he'd certainly have earned his shot.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I hope we have to find out. Unfortunately I could see him do it for the reasons the writer suggested. I also think that Kansas fans clearly know it's going to take some time. As to the offense I agree if he keeps running like he did until the middle of last season. If he runs it the way we did at the end then it wouldn't be a problem for them.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Like I posted before.
The big question is the buyout amount.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Kansas will have the money to buy him out if they want him. You can be sure he's aware of the possibilities and didn't get himself boxed in.