Fritz Contract extension to 2023

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Last edited by winwave on Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I hope the buy out is Tulane friendly in both directions. Ideally, I'd like to see Coach Fritz spend the last 10-20 years of his career here.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
winwave
Top of the WAVE

6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Done deal. Willie and Tulane agree.
Advocate Print edition headline
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote:Done deal. Willie and Tulane agree.
Any details?
IM42lane
Swell

DfromCT wrote:

Any details?
I hope that they did not give him 10-year deal similar to what Benny Ellender got in the 1970's.

After all, Fritz has NOT put a winner on the field yet.
Regards,
"Pete" Madere
RobertM320
Green Wave

IM42lane wrote:
DfromCT wrote:

Any details?
I hope that they did not give him 10-year deal similar to what Benny Ellender got in the 1970's.

After all, Fritz has NOT put a winner on the field yet.
Dont forget, he still had 4 more years left on his original contract. You have to think there's at least two years added to this, so that's at least 6 years we've committed to him.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote:
Any details?
Details to follow
Tulane Class of 1981
GreenLantern
Riptide

tpstulane wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
Any details?
Details to follow
My fervent wish is that he asked for new naming rights to Cowen Circle.
wave97
Swell

GreenLantern wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
Any details?
Details to follow
My fervent wish is that he asked for new naming rights to Cowen Circle.
Whenever I pass by "Cowen Circle" I want to bang my head on the steering wheel while throwing up. "He" has not earned the right as an executive to re-name Gibson Circle in his honor. After all, it was all about "HIM".
Thank you, President Fitts!
msdos
Swell

why tho
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Not so fast my friend. The headline blurb at the top of the front page did say that. However in the sports section the title of the article and the content was the same as I posted above saying it's close. So I'm sure it will get done but it's not done yet.
galvezwave
Swell

Dos
Ya know. I posted some things early in the season I'd like to have back regarding WF. We all know you're not a fan of the guy and that's cool. God knows we all want the same results. Upon reflection, we come off one of the worst seasons ever and he changes the attitude and culture in year 1 without a QB. Year 2 was bumpy too, but at the end of it all, there was a bowl still alive as the clock expired and a few minutes after. As a whole, we got better even though there were baby steps backwards along the way. Now he's following up with what appears one of the highest rated classes ever at Tulane. In hindsight, to me, this was indeed not a quick fix. I truly believe we are going to pass 2 or 3 more aac programs next season and will be nipping at the heels of the top. Extend the man. It only helps his cause here.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:
Not so fast my friend. The headline blurb at the top of the front page did say that. However in the sports section the title of the article and the content was the same as I posted above saying it's close. So I'm sure it will get done but it's not done yet.
Yep Fake News. :lol:
Tulane Class of 1981
msdos
Swell

galvezwave wrote:Dos
Ya know. I posted some things early in the season I'd like to have back regarding WF. We all know you're not a fan of the guy and that's cool. God knows we all want the same results. Upon reflection, we come off one of the worst seasons ever and he changes the attitude and culture in year 1 without a QB. Year 2 was bumpy too, but at the end of it all, there was a bowl still alive as the clock expired and a few minutes after. As a whole, we got better even though there were baby steps backwards along the way. Now he's following up with what appears one of the highest rated classes ever at Tulane. In hindsight, to me, this was indeed not a quick fix. I truly believe we are going to pass 2 or 3 more aac programs next season and will be nipping at the heels of the top. Extend the man. It only helps his cause here.
I get ya, but he hasn’t had a winning season yet. No one is calling to take him away. He’s under contract for like 3-4 more years already. What is gained by extending now? This will just make it more expensive to get rid of him when he doesn’t pan out
RobertM320
Green Wave

msdos wrote:
galvezwave wrote:Dos
I get ya, but he hasn’t had a winning season yet. No one is calling to take him away. He’s under contract for like 3-4 more years already. What is gained by extending now? This will just make it more expensive to get rid of him when he doesn’t pan out
What is gained is that next season, when he DOES have a winning season and the P5s ARE calling, it becomes that much more difficult for them to pry him away. And GTFO with that "when he doesn't pan out" BS.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Aberzombie1892
Swell

Fritz has earned cautious optimism at this point, as there are signs of significant progress (5 wins this season/2018 recruiting class) but there are still occasional signs regression (losses to FIU and Cincinnati/2017 recruiting class). However, all he needs to do is put together a complete season by consistently beating bad teams along with beating a few good ones and there will be no need to qualify any positive comments about him.
DrBox
Riptide

msdos wrote: I get ya, but he hasn’t had a winning season yet. No one is calling to take him away. He’s under contract for like 3-4 more years already. What is gained by extending now?
It enhances the chances of keeping him if/when teams do come after him. And imo, those that will come after him are of the level that we could fend off, if we are prepared.

He's done an excellent job improving Tulane football in a number of ways.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

The key is the amount of guaranteed money involved. Usually these extensions are for recruiting purposes and years are added on with promised raises if the coach sticks around. How much of that future money is guaranteed is what you worry about IF for some reason things don't keep improving like we hope they will.
glennc
Low Tide

I like Fritz but a contract extension is ridiculous. He hasn't had a wining season yet. What's the rush. this is almost like rick dickson is still around.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

glennc wrote:I like Fritz but a contract extension is ridiculous. He hasn't had a wining season yet. What's the rush. this is almost like rick dickson is still around.
The idea of an extension is to help recruiting. Maybe Dannen floated the rumor and Fritz kept it going to help the recruiting today. This rumor started about the same time that the rumor of him interviewing for the SMU job was dying down. If this was a media play, WELL DONE. If we ARE extending Fritz, make it tough for him to leave, with buyouts generous to Tulane on both sides. WELL DONE either way.

I've been in a sour mood w/r/t Tulane football since the replay ruling at SMU. But as the Frisco Bowl is about to start, I thought that NOT being in a bowl game might have been a recruiting blessing in disguise. Certainly the coaches logged a whole lot more road time in the past 3 weeks than if they were prepping for the XYZ Bowl game.
Last edited by DfromCT on Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote:
glennc wrote:I like Fritz but a contract extension is ridiculous. He hasn't had a wining season yet. What's the rush. this is almost like rick dickson is still around.
Typical post of yours.

The idea of an extension is to help recruiting. Maybe Dannen floated the rumor and Fritz kept it going to help the recruiting today. This rumor started about the same time that the rumor of him interviewing for the SMU job was dying down. If this was a media play, WELL DONE. If we ARE extending Fritz, make it tough for him to leave, with buyouts generous to Tulane on both sides. WELL DONE either way.

I've been in a sour mood w/r/t Tulane football since the replay ruling at SMU. But as the Frisco Bowl is about to start, I thought that NOT being in a bowl game might have been a recruiting blessing in disguise. Certainly the coaches logged a whole lot more road time in the past 3 weeks than if they were prepping for the XYZ Bowl game.
As to the Bowl Game and how not being in it helped recruiting you are very much on point. One of the main reasons we didn't take the Bowl invite after TB/RR's first season was b/c they wanted to be out recruiting.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

If Tulane actually declined a bowl bid, that's the first I've heard of it. It would have been the first time to a Bowl since Mack Davis, If I'm not mistaken. But they were 7-4. Woody, Tim, can you guys confirm? I was not nearly as close to the team as I was working long hours on Wall St. at the time.

Win, I'm not doubting you, just surprised I'd never heard that.

BTW: SMU playing like crap in wake of coaching change. Turned it over 2 or 3 times already, down 14-0 early.
nawlinspete
Riptide

We turned down the invitation to the 1997 Famous Idaho Potatoes Bowl because the contract mandated that we return to Boise during the 1998/1999 Mens Basketball season to play Boise State....
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote:If Tulane actually declined a bowl bid, that's the first I've heard of it. It would have been the first time to a Bowl since Mack Davis, If I'm not mistaken. But they were 7-4. Woody, Tim, can you guys confirm? I was not nearly as close to the team as I was working long hours on Wall St. at the time.

Win, I'm not doubting you, just surprised I'd never heard that.

BTW: SMU playing like crap in wake of coaching change. Turned it over 2 or 3 times already, down 14-0 early.
We turned down the Humanitarian Bowl in Boise and as I said the main reason was b/c Bowden wanted to spend the time on recruiting. Some love to talk about those 15 extra practices you get but those early minor Bowls like that don't provide the time for that. Money wise you lose money b/c you pay for the travel cost of all involved. I get that you might have missed it then but it's been discussed on all these sites and it was definitely brought up on this site in at least the last 6 months. That's why I said that the MAIN REASON was Bowden wanting to use the time to recruit. Many love to have their theories but I follow this closely without lapse and that was the biggie. Cincy took our place and played them in basketball. No reason we wouldn't have done the same as we played many low level OOC's in basketball back then .