New O-Line Coach

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

As per Footballscoop:

Tulane: Source tells FootballScoop Willie Fritz is expected to hire University of Georgia grad assistant Cody Kennedy as his offensive line coach at Tulane. Prior to joining the staff at Georgia, Kennedy had coached offensive line at West Georgia and had been at West Alabama with new Tulane offensive coordinator Will Hall. Kennedy played his college ball nearby at Southeastern Louisiana.
Last edited by winwave on Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:04 pm As per Footballscoop:

Tulane: Source tells FootballScoop Willie Fritz is expected to hire University of Georgia grad assistant Cody Kennedy as his offensive line coach at Tulane. Prior to joining the staff at Georgia, Kennedy had coached offensive line at West Georgia and had been at West Alabama with new Tulane offensive coordinator Will Hall. Kennedy played his college ball nearby at Southeastern Louisiana.
Let's hope that Hall knows this guy well enough to know he can coach em up and recruit. Hopefully we make progress in-state recruiting.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

I wish the young man well.....but, after our last hire with previous Georgia ties.....
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Bigschtick
Riptide

golfnut69 wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:40 am I wish the young man well.....but, after our last hire with previous Georgia ties.....
As do I but does it make sense to hire a grad assistant? We shall see.
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Bigschtick wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:37 am
golfnut69 wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:40 am I wish the young man well.....but, after our last hire with previous Georgia ties.....
it is within "budget constraints"
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

golfnut69 wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:07 am
Bigschtick wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:37 am
it is within "budget constraints"
I'm pretty sure I've read that our pool for paying assistant coaches went up significantly with the new regimes on Willow St and Gibson Hall. I don't think this was a hire on the cheap, but, rather, bringing in a coach that Fritz and Hall feel deserves a promotion. Just my take.
nawlinspete
Riptide

Definitely not Fritz like , no experience as a full time coach. ANYWHERE . Definitely a hire on the cheap . These being said we probably considering the time between Atkins leaving and today , were UNABLE to hire an experienced coach . All this does not mean Kennedy is not competent . Let us hope he is much more than competent .
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
wave97
Swell

If only some of the Sam Pittman magic dust was absorbed by this guy we should be ok. I think there is little doubt that Cody Kennedy understands the zone blocking schemes from his prior coaching experience. But for him to be exposed to the pro scheme at Georgia by a legendary O-line coach is icing on the cake. You can't always scheme your way up and down the field (like we did in '98), There is something to be said for having the strength, explosiveness, and technique to road grade when necessary.

[tweet]<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-cards="hidden" data-lang="en"><p lang="und" dir="ltr"><a href="https://t.co/awbwBR5QvK">pic.twitter.co ... </p>&mdash; Coach Sam Pittman (@CoachSamPittman) <a href=" 10, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
[/tweet]
winwave
Top of the WAVE

nawlinspete wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:27 am Definitely not Fritz like , no experience as a full time coach. ANYWHERE . Definitely a hire on the cheap . These being said we probably considering the time between Atkins leaving and today , were UNABLE to hire an experienced coach . All this does not mean Kennedy is not competent . Let us hope he is much more than competent .

He has been a full time O-Line coach at previous stops.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Cody Kennedy certainly has been a full time O-Line Coach in the past, and was very well respected as such. That's what landed him the job at UGa, and what got him the job at Tulane.

https://twitter.com/CoachCKennedy/statu ... 8211981314

He has worked with Hall before. Hall was a HC at D2 Western Georgia. Here's what their media guide said about Coach Kennedy:
If championships are, indeed, won up front, the UWG Wolves have one of the best young offensive line coaches in the country to oversee that part of the 2017 team. Veteran Cody Kennedy is back for the second straight season, and his third overall, as a member of the Wolves’ staff.
I don't expect Pete to know that Kennedy worked with Hall as a full time O-Line coach in the past. It's hard to read under the rock.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

He has worked as a head O line coach at multiple stops previously.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:17 pm It's official:

https://tulanegreenwave.com/news/2019/1 ... coach.aspx

Welcome aboard.
Cool, thanks for posting this.

Welcome Coach Kennedy. Teach our linemen how to become road graders!