New Athletic Director

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:26 am
golfnut69 wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:41 pm
HoustonWave wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:37 pm
Aberzombie1892 wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:10 pm
HoustonWave wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:44 pm
DfromCT wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:01 pm I still think there's a real possibility of going to 4 conferences of 16 teams. Tulane would remain on the outside looking in. I also think the overall money is going to go down on a per school basis for the Power Conferences. And the "Power" conferences are very likely to form their own division, even if it means splitting off from the NCAA.

I think there's a better chance of the above scenarios playing out than Tulane getting a new AD in the next 3 years, regardless of on field performance. Leadership just doesn't get it.
Whether its four power conferences, or five, I still think 16 team conferences (4 team divisions) will eventually surface. Primarily because of the ability to significantly reduce travel costs, with geographically oriented four team divisions. Such an evolution will also require the power conferences to change their revenue sharing from equal shares for all, to allocations based on revenue and competitive success--this will hit the P5 parasites very hard, and will take away much of the resistance to expanding into 16 team conferences. 16 team conferences could also usher in mini-playoffs within each conference which would be a huge revenue generator. If any of this happens, it won't be til the TV contracts start to expire in the early 20's. The question is, "will Tulane be ready?"
No. The only major question in regard to the 16 team scenario would be whether the Big 12 merges with, or steals teams from, the PAC12 or ACC.
Both the PAC 12 and the ACC continue to get weaker, so I here what your saying. But if I was OU and UT, the two teams that will decide what happens to the Big XII, I would want large TV markets, with as little travel as possible. And why add a lot of tough competition? OU and UT could ensure that they are always at the top when it comes to allocating revenues based on performance, and one of the two will usually have a good shot at getting into the national playoff. If the Big XII expands, don't be surprised if Colorado and Nebraska come back into the Big XII. And if Arkansas and Mizzou are smart, they would try to do the same thing. If you cherry pick the PAC 12 or ACC, you invite a lot more competition, a lot more travel, and not that much more TV or gate revenue.
in my opinion, there ain't no way on God's green earth Arkansas, Mizzou., Nebraska or Colorado is coming back to the Big 12....that would economic suicide .....Arkansas, Mizzou and Nebraska all hate, or dislike very much, the University of Texas @ Austin and are happy as hell that UT is in what appears to be a 2nd rate P5 conference...they are all making more money and getting more exposure in their current conferences......
True, all those teams have big problems with UT, as did aTm. But those teams also are getting tired of getting their brains beat out. Nebraska and Colorado continue to lose in competitively weak conferences—in large part because of recruiting problems (ie no more access to high-end Texas recruits),. Granted they currently get more revenue, but it isn’t that much more than what the Big XII allocated last year (albeit only 10 teams). I still believe that greed will consume the P5 powerhouses, and revenue sharing will be driven by some combination of revenue generated and competitive success. If that happens everything will change, and the current P5 structure will blow up.
Nebraska will get it's brains beat out in the Big 12...the "county ride" schollie's are now counted against your yearly allotment, which means they have fewer "rides' to give to "skill' players from Chicago, Detroit and the east coast..at one time all of the linemen were on "country ride's' and graduated form Nebraska High schools and the vast majority of "skill players" were on "athletic grant in aide's". and were brought in from Chicago, Detroit, KC and the East Coast.. those day's are long gone, thanks to OU complaining to the NCAA...Nebraska brings zero TV market exposure, on a sold out Saturday, the football Stadium becomes the 3rd largest city in the State...nice people, but not enuff TV's to register a blimp on any screen

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Aberzombie1892
Swell

The Big 12 has always been, and will continue to be, a top 3 conference in terms of revenue distributed to its members when tier 3 revenue is included (tier 3 revenue is automatically included in payouts in the other 3 P5s, but, in the Big 12, each team is paid on its own separate contract so that amount isn't included in the conference payout), and, as a result, most of the teams that left the Big 12 truly aren't making more money than they would have made had they stayed. As an example, imagine Nebraska or Texas A&M each with their own tier 3 networks that they could keep all of the revenue from - they would almost certainly make more money from media rights in the Big 12 than they would anywhere else.

In contrast to the Big 12 deal, the PAC12 deal was terrible and continues to be terrible. It's actually going to get worse as time goes on given that PAC12 payouts aren't projected to reach $38M per team until 2023 and the Big 12 is projecting $40M per team in 2019 with the Big 12's number not including third tier rights and the PAC12 number including those rights.

The Big 12 may have perception issues from time to time, but the one thing that it does not have issues with is $$$.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Aberzombie1892 wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:46 am The Big 12 has always been, and will continue to be, a top 3 conference in terms of revenue distributed to its members when tier 3 revenue is included (tier 3 revenue is automatically included in payouts in the other 3 P5s, but, in the Big 12, each team is paid on its own separate contract so that amount isn't included in the conference payout), and, as a result, most of the teams that left the Big 12 truly aren't making more money than they would have made had they stayed. As an example, imagine Nebraska or Texas A&M each with their own tier 3 networks that they could keep all of the revenue from - they would almost certainly make more money from media rights in the Big 12 than they would anywhere else.

In contrast to the Big 12 deal, the PAC12 deal was terrible and continues to be terrible. It's actually going to get worse as time goes on given that PAC12 payouts aren't projected to reach $38M per team until 2023 and the Big 12 is projecting $40M per team in 2019 with the Big 12's number not including third tier rights and the PAC12 number including those rights.

The Big 12 may have perception issues from time to time, but the one thing that it does not have issues with is $$$.
let's go to the video evidence
https://247sports.com/college/oklahoma/ ... -54717203/

http://collegead.com/power-five-distribution/
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
HoustonWave
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:45 am
DfromCT wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:01 pm I still think there's a real possibility of going to 4 conferences of 16 teams. Tulane would remain on the outside looking in. I also think the overall money is going to go down on a per school basis for the Power Conferences. And the "Power" conferences are very likely to form their own division, even if it means splitting off from the NCAA.

I think there's a better chance of the above scenarios playing out than Tulane getting a new AD in the next 3 years, regardless of on field performance. Leadership just doesn't get it.
Whether its four power conferences, or five, I still think 16 team conferences (4 team divisions) will eventually surface. Primarily because of the ability to significantly reduce travel costs, with geographically oriented four team divisions. Such an evolution will also require the power conferences to change their revenue sharing from equal shares for all, to allocations based on revenue and competitive success--this will hit the P5 parasites very hard, and will take away much of the resistance to expanding into 16 team conferences. 16 team conferences could also usher in mini-playoffs within each conference which would be a huge revenue generator. If any of this happens, it won't be til the TV contracts start to expire in the early 20's. The question is, "will Tulane be ready?"
No. The only major question in regard to the 16 team scenario would be whether the Big 12 merges with, or steals teams from, the PAC12 or ACC.
Both the PAC 12 and the ACC continue to get weaker, so I here what your saying. But if I was OU and UT, the two teams that will decide what happens to the Big XII, I would want large TV markets, with as little travel as possible. And why add a lot of tough competition? OU and UT could ensure that they are always at the top when it comes to allocating revenues based on performance, and one of the two will usually have a good shot at getting into the national playoff. If the Big XII expands, don't be surprised if Colorado and Nebraska come back into the Big XII. And if Arkansas and Mizzou are smart, they would try to do the same thing. If you cherry pick the PAC 12 or ACC, you invite a lot more competition, a lot more travel, and not that much more TV or gate revenue.
in my opinion, there ain't no way on God's green earth Arkansas, Mizzou., Nebraska or Colorado is coming back to the Big 12....that would economic suicide .....Arkansas, Mizzou and Nebraska all hate, or dislike very much, the University of Texas @ Austin and are happy as hell that UT is in what appears to be a 2nd rate P5 conference...they are all making more money and getting more exposure in their current conferences......
True, all those teams have big problems with UT, as did aTm. But those teams also are getting tired of getting their brains beat out. Nebraska and Colorado continue to lose in competitively weak conferences—in large part because of recruiting problems (ie no more access to high-end Texas recruits),. Granted they currently get more revenue, but it isn’t that much more than what the Big XII allocated last year (albeit only 10 teams). I still believe that greed will consume the P5 powerhouses, and revenue sharing will be driven by some combination of revenue generated and competitive success. If that happens everything will change, and the current P5 structure will blow up.
Nebraska will get it's brains beat out in the Big 12...the "county ride" schollie's are now counted against your yearly allotment, which means they have fewer "rides' to give to "skill' players from Chicago, Detroit and the east coast..at one time all of the linemen were on "country ride's' and graduated form Nebraska High schools and the vast majority of "skill players" were on "athletic grant in aide's". and were brought in from Chicago, Detroit, KC and the East Coast.. those day's are long gone, thanks to OU complaining to the NCAA...Nebraska brings zero TV market exposure, on a sold out Saturday, the football Stadium becomes the 3rd largest city in the State...nice people, but not enuff TV's to register a blimp on any screen
That's an interesting history of Nebraska's recruiting strategies. I guess that's why they used to be able to brag about the 100+ players they could suit up for any given game. You're right--competitively, Colorado and Nebraska would suffer even more with a Big XII schedule--however, they would benefit from less travel, renewed rivalries, and better access to fertile recruiting territories.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Aberzombie1892
Swell

golfnut69 wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:34 am
Aberzombie1892 wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:46 am The Big 12 has always been, and will continue to be, a top 3 conference in terms of revenue distributed to its members when tier 3 revenue is included (tier 3 revenue is automatically included in payouts in the other 3 P5s, but, in the Big 12, each team is paid on its own separate contract so that amount isn't included in the conference payout), and, as a result, most of the teams that left the Big 12 truly aren't making more money than they would have made had they stayed. As an example, imagine Nebraska or Texas A&M each with their own tier 3 networks that they could keep all of the revenue from - they would almost certainly make more money from media rights in the Big 12 than they would anywhere else.

let's go to the video evidence
https://247sports.com/college/oklahoma/ ... -54717203/

http://collegead.com/power-five-distribution/
Pretty much this. According to this 2016 article, Kansas State - a team that is not necessarily a power of the Big 12 - produced $4M in 2015 in third tier rights from K-StateHD.TV. If a conservative approach is used and assesses a $1M annual increase in third tier rights, the 2017 overall payout to Kansas State would have been $40.5M based on the 2017 numbers in Golf's article, while, at the same time, the PAC12 average payout in 2017 was $24.7M.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... ior-league
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:36 am
golfnut69 wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:45 am

That's an interesting history of Nebraska's recruiting strategies. I guess that's why they used to be able to brag about the 100+ players they could suit up for any given game. You're right--competitively, Colorado and Nebraska would suffer even more with a Big XII schedule--however, they would benefit from less travel, renewed rivalries, and better access to fertile recruiting territories.
Now U know the "Rest of the Story' of Nebraska's famed 'walk on " program...just an fyi...there are 93 counties in the State....Nebraska is an easy drive to fellow Big 10 schools...Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, Northwestern, Illinois and Indiana as compared to UT, TxTech, Baylor, TCU, OU, OSU or WVU...the only "close schools" are Toto and KSU