Future OOC Games

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Aberzombie1892
Swell
Posts: 1663
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 8:16 pm
Location: Houston, TX
Status: Offline

Fri May 06, 2016 6:18 pm

jonathanjoseph wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote: You do understand that major tv money is a relatively new phenomenon? TV money didn't become a big deal until around the BCS, so any "but they were in the SWC!" arguments don't make sense since the TV money wasn't there back then like it is now.

But that's irrelevant to my point.

It doesn't matter that Baylor lost for those years. The point is, any team in a P5 can become relevant by consistently beating the highest profile teams in its conference, whether it's Baylor or Wake Forest. We don't have the luxury of having big name teams on our schedule consistently.

However, that has nothing to do with the points that either of us are trying to make.

My point is, there is no evidence that winning alone will cure what ails us, and I have provided substantial real world evidence to back up my point. Most counter points to my point are either wishful thinking theories with no evidence or examples of looking to the distant past for how things were and pretend as though the past is achievable in this modern college football climate (which it's not).

Also, why bring up Rick? That has nothing to do with what we are talking about.
I'll continue to bring up Dickson as people continue pushing his excuses as narratives. No, you cannot legitimately suggest that major TV money is a relatively new phenomenon. There is a reason that Lousiville and others were starting down this path 20 years ago, because the writing was on the wall. Only Cowen and Dickson let a 20 year trend sneak up on them and then tell everyone that no one could have seen it coming, when literally everyone else saw it coming.

Yes there is evidence that winning alone will cure what ails us. It's called common sense and economics. The idea that winning WON'T cure what ails us is stupid enough that it could only have originated with Cowen/Dickson.

Stop pushing Dickson's narratives. Dannen absolutely knows that winning cures everything, just as in business (as Mark Cuban always says) sales cures everything.
I'm going to itemize my response.

Real world - I've provided substantial real world evidence to support that winning by itself in the AAC won't magically cure everything for us. I have yet to see a response, including this particular reply, that includes real world evidence to the contrary. We just need to manage our expectations.

Mark Cuban/NFL - Citing Mark Cuban doesn't make logical sense. We aren't in the NBA (or the NFL for that matter) - the playing field is not equal. I actually made an earlier point about the NFL - NFL teams are relevant to the national picture (playoffs) even when they aren't good. Randomly beating a divisional opponent can knock it out of the playoffs, so even pathetic teams can affect the playoffs. In addition, because NFL teams have major regional followings and limited competition (32 teams), they continue to draw fans when they are bad anyway. This, the comparison doesn't make sense.

The past/Rick/Cowen - Why continue to bring up the past at this point - we all know what happened and who was generally responsible, so why waste the effort? We can't go back in time.


jonathanjoseph
Green Wave
Posts: 9299
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:54 pm
Status: Offline

Fri May 06, 2016 6:35 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote: You do understand that major tv money is a relatively new phenomenon? TV money didn't become a big deal until around the BCS, so any "but they were in the SWC!" arguments don't make sense since the TV money wasn't there back then like it is now.

But that's irrelevant to my point.

It doesn't matter that Baylor lost for those years. The point is, any team in a P5 can become relevant by consistently beating the highest profile teams in its conference, whether it's Baylor or Wake Forest. We don't have the luxury of having big name teams on our schedule consistently.

However, that has nothing to do with the points that either of us are trying to make.

My point is, there is no evidence that winning alone will cure what ails us, and I have provided substantial real world evidence to back up my point. Most counter points to my point are either wishful thinking theories with no evidence or examples of looking to the distant past for how things were and pretend as though the past is achievable in this modern college football climate (which it's not).

Also, why bring up Rick? That has nothing to do with what we are talking about.
I'll continue to bring up Dickson as people continue pushing his excuses as narratives. No, you cannot legitimately suggest that major TV money is a relatively new phenomenon. There is a reason that Lousiville and others were starting down this path 20 years ago, because the writing was on the wall. Only Cowen and Dickson let a 20 year trend sneak up on them and then tell everyone that no one could have seen it coming, when literally everyone else saw it coming.

Yes there is evidence that winning alone will cure what ails us. It's called common sense and economics. The idea that winning WON'T cure what ails us is stupid enough that it could only have originated with Cowen/Dickson.

Stop pushing Dickson's narratives. Dannen absolutely knows that winning cures everything, just as in business (as Mark Cuban always says) sales cures everything.
I'm going to itemize my response.

Real world - I've provided substantial real world evidence to support that winning by itself in the AAC won't magically cure everything for us. I have yet to see a response, including this particular reply, that includes real world evidence to the contrary. We just need to manage our expectations.

Mark Cuban/NFL - Citing Mark Cuban doesn't make logical sense. We aren't in the NBA (or the NFL for that matter) - the playing field is not equal. I actually made an earlier point about the NFL - NFL teams are relevant to the national picture (playoffs) even when they aren't good. Randomly beating a divisional opponent can knock it out of the playoffs, so even pathetic teams can affect the playoffs. In addition, because NFL teams have major regional followings and limited competition (32 teams), they continue to draw fans when they are bad anyway. This, the comparison doesn't make sense.

The past/Rick/Cowen - Why continue to bring up the past at this point - we all know what happened and who was generally responsible, so why waste the effort? We can't go back in time.
Dude literally every example in the world shows that attendance and winning are highly correlated. It's actually your argument that has no basis in reality and comes from our former failed leaders, hence why it's being brought up. You are confused by the lies they shoved down your throat for 15 years.

You completely misunderstood the Mark Cuban reference so I'll leave that one alone.

Your insistence on reminding us of the outdated thinking and loser mentality that Cowen/Dickson imprinted on the culture are a sad reminder, but allows me to be extra grateful that those currently in charge don't agree with you.
Aberzombie1892
Swell
Posts: 1663
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 8:16 pm
Location: Houston, TX
Status: Offline

Sat May 07, 2016 12:22 pm

It's fine if you disagree. The point still stands that the available evidence indicates that we wouldn't see a massive spike in average home game attendance just by winning in the American - attendance would increase, but not to the levels some posters indicate that it would.

Rick still has nothing to do with what we are talking about, and the Cuban response was appropriate.
winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 12008
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Sat May 07, 2016 1:05 pm

Let's just hope and pray that we reach the point to get the answer.
Find A Way!
User avatar
nawlinspete
Swell
Posts: 1628
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:43 pm
Status: Offline

Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:57 am

Almost daily posts on FBSchedules.com about other FBS teams scheduling begs the question: WHO ARE WE LINING UP TO PLAY IN THE FUTURE under Dannen other than the recently announced OSU game ?

Why the reticence to announce ?
Once and Again, With Smart Choices and a Bit Of Patience
User avatar
RobertM320
Tsunami
Posts: 6421
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:18 pm
Location: Destrehan, LA
Contact:
Status: Offline

Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:03 am

nawlinspete wrote:Almost daily posts on FBSchedules.com about other FBS teams scheduling begs the question: WHO ARE WE LINING UP TO PLAY IN THE FUTURE under Dannen other than the recently announced OSU game ?

Why the reticence to announce ?

Time to add a second person to ignore. Geesh.


Did you ever think that other programs have all their facilities and established coaches and everything in place, so the only thing for the AD to do is schedule? Dannen's had a ton of stuff on his plate since November and he's done great. Stop being an idiot.

--sets nawlinspete to ignore--
"ASK AND YE SHALL RECEIVE! HANG EM AND BANG EM! HANG EM AND BANG EM!"-- Todd Graffagnini
User avatar
nawlinspete
Swell
Posts: 1628
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:43 pm
Status: Offline

Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:12 am

RobertM320 wrote:
nawlinspete wrote:Almost daily posts on FBSchedules.com about other FBS teams scheduling begs the question: WHO ARE WE LINING UP TO PLAY IN THE FUTURE under Dannen other than the recently announced OSU game ?

Why the reticence to announce ?

Time to add a second person to ignore. Geesh.


Did you ever think that other programs have all their facilities and established coaches and everything in place, so the only thing for the AD to do is schedule? Dannen's had a ton of stuff on his plate since November and he's done great. Stop being an idiot.

--sets nawlinspete to ignore--
Did you ever think yhat Dannen heads a DEPARTMENT ? Are you suggesting that Dannen is another micro manager who either does not know how to or is afraid to delegate ? Geesh. Stop being an idiot.
Once and Again, With Smart Choices and a Bit Of Patience
User avatar
RobertM320
Tsunami
Posts: 6421
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:18 pm
Location: Destrehan, LA
Contact:
Status: Offline

Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:37 am

So what do you want him delegating? Coaching selections? Facility planning? Cleaning up Rick Dickson's mess? I'd prefer he be hands on with regards to these things. He can delegate lesser stuff later.
"ASK AND YE SHALL RECEIVE! HANG EM AND BANG EM! HANG EM AND BANG EM!"-- Todd Graffagnini
JerseyWave
Riptide
Posts: 3824
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:09 pm
Location: New Jersey
Status: Offline

Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:15 am

Dannen has already switched the location of the UMass game from Foxboro to their on campus Stadium for an extra $50,000 in pay for Tulane. He scheduled a game at The Ohio St which will pay Tulane in the $1.5 million ballpark. Not bad moves so far. The guy knows what he is doing!
User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 17661
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:06 pm

1 for 1 home and home with Northwestern from the Big 10, according to Brett McMurphy.

2020: Chicago
2025: New Orleans

https://mobile.twitter.com/GreenWaveFB/ ... 1055732742
Stadiums get old, winning never does.
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Tsunami
Posts: 6005
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:12 pm

tpstulane wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:06 pm
1 for 1 home and home with Northwestern from the Big 10, according to Brett McMurphy.

2020: Chicago
2025: New Orleans

https://mobile.twitter.com/GreenWaveFB/ ... 1055732742
Just as I question OU coming to New Orleans in 2021, I hope Northwestern makes it to the game at Yulman in 2025.
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
User avatar
ajcalhoun
Swell
Posts: 1858
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:42 pm
Status: Offline

Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:43 pm

DfromCT wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:12 pm
Just as I question OU coming to New Orleans in 2021, I hope Northwestern makes it to the game at Yulman in 2025.
Yeah, I'm with you, D. I'll believe it when I see it. Espesially OU.
Welcome to gotula.net, where it's never too late to mention Tanner Lee, Andy Cannizaro, Lindsey Scott Jr., Rich Rodriguez, David Pierce, or, of course, Scott Cowen. You see, no horse here is so dead that it cannot be beaten just a little bit more.
DfromCT
Tsunami
Posts: 6005
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:07 pm

ajcalhoun wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:43 pm
DfromCT wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:12 pm
Just as I question OU coming to New Orleans in 2021, I hope Northwestern makes it to the game at Yulman in 2025.
Yeah, I'm with you, D. I'll believe it when I see it. Espesially OU.
At the same time, hats off to RD for getting OU on our schedule, and TD for getting a 1 for 1 with Northwestern. I just wish we'd SOMETIMES get the first game at our place.
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
Ruski
Surge
Posts: 766
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:58 pm
Status: Offline

Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:12 pm

2023
09/09 - Ole Miss
09/16 - at Southern Miss
10/07 - Mississippi State

Add Alcorn/Jax St, run the table Tulane can fashion a "kings of Mississippi" trophy.

7 home games would be nice too :mrgreen:
Ruski
Surge
Posts: 766
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:58 pm
Status: Offline

Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:44 pm

I know Dannen got a nice payout from the Ohio St. game but as a fan I kind of wish we were still playing Georgia Tech in that slot this year. Having the chance to go into conference play undefeated over 2 p5s would catapault the program!

I do remember Dannen saying they tried to make it work with OSU, Wake, AND GT. Honestly I think a schedule that tough could've set the program back.
winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 12008
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:53 am

OSU has the elite players that could physically put a heavy toll on ours that could carry over. Wake and GT are just well coached teams that would not do the same. It'sthe type of schedule that we need. As much as we want to talk our conference up it still doesn't have teams that excite many fans. So our OOC needs to be against quality teams and ones our fans have an interest in. Ole Miss, Miss. St., Auburn and USM are good ones to have and if we win it will strike a chord with our fan base.
Find A Way!
Aberzombie1892
Swell
Posts: 1663
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 8:16 pm
Location: Houston, TX
Status: Offline

Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:15 am

winwave wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:53 am
OSU has the elite players that could physically put a heavy toll on ours that could carry over. Wake and GT are just well coached teams that would not do the same. It'sthe type of schedule that we need. As much as we want to talk our conference up it still doesn't have teams that excite many fans. So our OOC needs to be against quality teams and ones our fans have an interest in. Ole Miss, Miss. St., Auburn and USM are good ones to have and if we win it will strike a chord with our fan base.
Agreed. Honestly, Tulane should put serious effort in only scheduling P5s from Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Mississippi, Tennessee, Louisiana, Georgia, and Alabama if possible. That seems like a small group of states, but, in reality, that's 17 P5s to negotiate with right there.

Wake Forest and Northwestern are certainly neat, but casual fans would not really care about those games.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami
Posts: 5165
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:17 pm
Status: Offline

Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:18 am

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:15 am
winwave wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:53 am
OSU has the elite players that could physically put a heavy toll on ours that could carry over. Wake and GT are just well coached teams that would not do the same. It'sthe type of schedule that we need. As much as we want to talk our conference up it still doesn't have teams that excite many fans. So our OOC needs to be against quality teams and ones our fans have an interest in. Ole Miss, Miss. St., Auburn and USM are good ones to have and if we win it will strike a chord with our fan base.
Agreed. Honestly, Tulane should put serious effort in only scheduling P5s from Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Mississippi, Tennessee, Louisiana, Georgia, and Alabama if possible. That seems like a small group of states, but, in reality, that's 17 P5s to negotiate with right there.

Wake Forest and Northwestern are certainly neat, but casual fans would not really care about those games.
Right now, local P5's are going to want 2-1 or a min to play in the Dome on a 1-1.

If you look around, elite private schools are forming their own sort of scheduling alliance to deal with the bias from the giant P5 publics. This is good company to share from a branding standpoint, already have done Duke and Wake recently. . We need to work on Stanford, BC and Vandy next. Sure they may not be big draws at the box office but we can get 1-1 with the privates and show that we belong in the discussion with these elite national privater brands.
Ruski
Surge
Posts: 766
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:58 pm
Status: Offline

Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:34 am

mbawavefan12 wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:18 am
Aberzombie1892 wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:15 am
winwave wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:53 am
OSU has the elite players that could physically put a heavy toll on ours that could carry over. Wake and GT are just well coached teams that would not do the same. It'sthe type of schedule that we need. As much as we want to talk our conference up it still doesn't have teams that excite many fans. So our OOC needs to be against quality teams and ones our fans have an interest in. Ole Miss, Miss. St., Auburn and USM are good ones to have and if we win it will strike a chord with our fan base.
Agreed. Honestly, Tulane should put serious effort in only scheduling P5s from Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Mississippi, Tennessee, Louisiana, Georgia, and Alabama if possible. That seems like a small group of states, but, in reality, that's 17 P5s to negotiate with right there.

Wake Forest and Northwestern are certainly neat, but casual fans would not really care about those games.
Right now, local P5's are going to want 2-1 or a min to play in the Dome on a 1-1.

If you look around, elite private schools are forming their own sort of scheduling alliance to deal with the bias from the giant P5 publics. This is good company to share from a branding standpoint, already have done Duke and Wake recently. . We need to work on Stanford, BC and Vandy next. Sure they may not be big draws at the box office but we can get 1-1 with the privates and show that we belong in the discussion with these elite national privater brands.
Agree. A win over these lesser p5 will do much more to draw fans that getting blown out by SEC or Texas
Aberzombie1892
Swell
Posts: 1663
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 8:16 pm
Location: Houston, TX
Status: Offline

Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:50 am

mbawavefan12 wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:18 am
Aberzombie1892 wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:15 am
winwave wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:53 am
OSU has the elite players that could physically put a heavy toll on ours that could carry over. Wake and GT are just well coached teams that would not do the same. It'sthe type of schedule that we need. As much as we want to talk our conference up it still doesn't have teams that excite many fans. So our OOC needs to be against quality teams and ones our fans have an interest in. Ole Miss, Miss. St., Auburn and USM are good ones to have and if we win it will strike a chord with our fan base.
Agreed. Honestly, Tulane should put serious effort in only scheduling P5s from Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Mississippi, Tennessee, Louisiana, Georgia, and Alabama if possible. That seems like a small group of states, but, in reality, that's 17 P5s to negotiate with right there.

Wake Forest and Northwestern are certainly neat, but casual fans would not really care about those games.
Right now, local P5's are going to want 2-1 or a min to play in the Dome on a 1-1.

If you look around, elite private schools are forming their own sort of scheduling alliance to deal with the bias from the giant P5 publics. This is good company to share from a branding standpoint, already have done Duke and Wake recently. . We need to work on Stanford, BC and Vandy next. Sure they may not be big draws at the box office but we can get 1-1 with the privates and show that we belong in the discussion with these elite national privater brands.
That's great if it were for 1 for 1's, but Duke and Wake weren't 1 for 1s, as Duke was a 3 for 1 and Wake was a 2 for 1.

Northwestern's 1 for 1 is neat, but fans need to see more of that before considering that becoming a trend.
Ruski
Surge
Posts: 766
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:58 pm
Status: Offline

Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:05 pm

This makes the news a little less exciting....


Still averaging almost 2 p5s a year for the next decade is gooooood. Time to get some W's
DfromCT
Tsunami
Posts: 6005
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:07 pm

Ruski wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:05 pm
This makes the news a little less exciting....


Still averaging almost 2 p5s a year for the next decade is gooooood. Time to get some W's
Why does it take away from the agreement we worked out? What's less exciting?
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 12008
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:28 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:50 am
mbawavefan12 wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:18 am
Aberzombie1892 wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:15 am
winwave wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:53 am
OSU has the elite players that could physically put a heavy toll on ours that could carry over. Wake and GT are just well coached teams that would not do the same. It'sthe type of schedule that we need. As much as we want to talk our conference up it still doesn't have teams that excite many fans. So our OOC needs to be against quality teams and ones our fans have an interest in. Ole Miss, Miss. St., Auburn and USM are good ones to have and if we win it will strike a chord with our fan base.
Agreed. Honestly, Tulane should put serious effort in only scheduling P5s from Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Mississippi, Tennessee, Louisiana, Georgia, and Alabama if possible. That seems like a small group of states, but, in reality, that's 17 P5s to negotiate with right there.

Wake Forest and Northwestern are certainly neat, but casual fans would not really care about those games.
Right now, local P5's are going to want 2-1 or a min to play in the Dome on a 1-1.

If you look around, elite private schools are forming their own sort of scheduling alliance to deal with the bias from the giant P5 publics. This is good company to share from a branding standpoint, already have done Duke and Wake recently. . We need to work on Stanford, BC and Vandy next. Sure they may not be big draws at the box office but we can get 1-1 with the privates and show that we belong in the discussion with these elite national privater brands.
That's great if it were for 1 for 1's, but Duke and Wake weren't 1 for 1s, as Duke was a 3 for 1 and Wake was a 2 for 1.

Northwestern's 1 for 1 is neat, but fans need to see more of that before considering that becoming a trend.
Agree zombie.

As to getting 1for 1's that's nice but again it has to be against a team that draws our fans interest. sorry NW, Vandy and the such just don't. It won't get us involved in any meaningful discussions. Hell as pointed out Rice got the same deal.
Find A Way!
Aberzombie1892
Swell
Posts: 1663
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 8:16 pm
Location: Houston, TX
Status: Offline

Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:32 pm

DfromCT wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:07 pm
Ruski wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:05 pm
This makes the news a little less exciting....


Still averaging almost 2 p5s a year for the next decade is gooooood. Time to get some W's
Why does it take away from the agreement we worked out? What's less exciting?
I assume he means that Northwestern added a home and home with Rice.

At a high level, it looks like Northwestern scheduled home and homes with Tulane and Rice primarily for recruiting purposes (i.e. Louisiana and Texas) and not for some new scheduling philosophy concerning G5 private schools. It looks like Northwestern is interested in taking the next step given all of its recent 10 win seasons, but it realizes that it's never going to pull big time classes recruiting primarily in B1G territory (i.e. Northwestern's 2018 recruiting class had 3 players from Texas and 1 from Louisiana and its 2019 class currently has 3 from Texas).
Ruski
Surge
Posts: 766
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:58 pm
Status: Offline

Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:28 pm

DfromCT wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:07 pm
Ruski wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:05 pm
This makes the news a little less exciting....


Still averaging almost 2 p5s a year for the next decade is gooooood. Time to get some W's
Why does it take away from the agreement we worked out? What's less exciting?
I meant that Rice got NW to visit first. But that's almost entirely cancelled out by the fact they're playing in like 15 years! I'm guessing it's because Rice has so many traditional pairings in Texas, so they're full up.
Post Reply