Does any conference use this tourney design?

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
BC Wave
Swell

My idle mind was wandering and just thought that with an eight team tournament, a conference could have 4 best of three series, maybe even worse seeds at better seeds, then have a single elimination format at a neutral site.

Possible advantages
Max number of games per team would be 5 instead of six.
Possibly less trave especially if quasi divisions were set and then seedlings set..

Disadvantage
Possibly fewer fans at the neutral site games.

winwave
Top of the WAVE

The only way the baseball tourney draws is to have it at one of the hot teams home site.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

BC Wave wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 11:01 pm My idle mind was wandering and just thought that with an eight team tournament, a conference could have 4 best of three series, maybe even worse seeds at better seeds, then have a single elimination format at a neutral site.

Possible advantages
Possibly less trave especially if quasi divisions were set and then seedlings set..

Disadvantage
This is going to take three weeks to play out, unless you play midweek series as well. And the maximum number of games is 9, as you're playing 3 best of 3 series.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
RobertM320
Green Wave

DfromCT wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 8:18 am
BC Wave wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 11:01 pm My idle mind was wandering and just thought that with an eight team tournament, a conference could have 4 best of three series, maybe even worse seeds at better seeds, then have a single elimination format at a neutral site.

Possible advantages

Disadvantage
This is going to take three weeks to play out, unless you play midweek series as well. And the maximum number of games is 9, as you're playing 3 best of 3 series.
D, I think you misunderstood. I think what he's saying is have a #8 at #1 three game series, a #7 at #2 three game series, etc, with the higher seed hosting (Think Super Regional concept). Then the 4 winners go to a neutral site for a single elimination finals (like CFP Playoffs). You could play all the series on a Tu-Th and then the neutral site would be Sat, Sun.. It would definitely work, and probably draw more attendance than the full tourney at a neutral site.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Either way, three game series for 8 teams means it's a possible 9 games for the conference title. Playing three game series to get to single elimination makes no sense.
Last edited by DfromCT on Sun May 27, 2018 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BC Wave
Swell

Robert , you summed up my thoughts precisely and concisely!
RobertM320
Green Wave

DfromCT wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 3:47 pm Either way, three game series for 8 teams means it's a possible 9 games for the conference title. Playing three game series to get to single elimination makes no sense.
How do you come up with 9 games? Take this season as an example. Tulane #8 plays at #1 Houston, three games. Wins the series 2-1. move to the single elimination final four tournament and plays #3 ECU, while # 2USF plays #5UConn. ONE GAME EACH. ECU and USF win, and they play a single game for the AAC title. That's only 5 games total for any team.

Its only a three game series for the initial round. Then its at most two games, a semifinal and a final.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I missed the single elimination in the finals. my bad, but I don't like it. Frankly, why would you play 2 of three only to play single elimination in the finals??
RobertM320
Green Wave

DfromCT wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 10:37 pm I missed the single elimination in the finals. my bad, but I don't like it. Frankly, why would you play 2 of three only to play single elimination in the finals??
Its kind of a mix of Super Regionals and CFP, but it surely would increase overall attendance, and overall revenue for the league I would think. You saw the empty seats in Clearwater. What do you think it would have been like if we'd played a 3 game series at Houston? It was just an idea he presented. It has some problems, but it has some merit as well. Better than watching games through a chain link fence.