SMU Game Thread

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

DrBox wrote:Fritz botched the end of the Navy and Cincy games. But that has nothing to do with him not being experienced at this level of football..the things he botched are the things you face at any level of football. HIs offense may not be sophisticated enough for this level. We'll see if changes are made.
Yes, most people are diehards hereon...but Tulane still has too many fans who insist that you do it their way,do it with their favorite coach or who are more interested in personal access than in winning. Let's face it - die hards gave us 15 years of Dickson....so let's not act like die-hards should be, per se, above critique.
BS flag on this post. The diehards that post here, myself included, couldn't get Rick Dickson out soon enough, and all complained about Cowen. As a matter of fact, most of us referred to the two as "CowDick."

So don't even think about telling us diehards how we should or shouldn't react to the outcome of the game Saturday. We've suffered long enough that we're entitled to our opinions without worrying about the likes of you judging whether or not we're true to Tulane. Let's face it: Tulane has more apathetic alumni by a HUGE margin than it does diehard fans. The apathy is what got us 15 years of CowDick, and lead to Cowen being "honored" by the University. The few hundred diehards should be above critique.

" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
winwave
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote:
winwave wrote:Hope she's ok.
winwave...thanks...3 broken ribs... a broken wrist and deflated lung...and they released her 4 weeks before her her rehab...so I am back in Metry a few weeks early...and my Mom is 91 years old !!!
Sorry to hear that. Good luck with her recovery.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DrBox wrote:Fritz botched the end of the Navy and Cincy games. But that has nothing to do with him not being experienced at this level of football..the things he botched are the things you face at any level of football. HIs offense may not be sophisticated enough for this level. We'll see if changes are made.
Yes, most people are diehards hereon...but Tulane still has too many fans who insist that you do it their way,do it with their favorite coach or who are more interested in personal access than in winning. Let's face it - die hards gave us 15 years of Dickson....so let's not act like die-hards should be, per se, above critique.
Those comments belong on the other board that fully supported that regime and tried to cut out anybody that wanted to speak the truth. They aren't die-hards. They are wavetraders.

As for WF no he hasn't coached at this level. Everyone wants to say that the AAC is so much better than the Sunbelt. So no he hasn't been here. He had a tried and true formula at the lower levels and thought he could pull it off the same way here. He liked to espouse how winning the turnover battle would almost always lead to wins. Well we usually have won those but the W's didn't come with that. He was much too conservative which almost led to him losing the team. To his credit he's come around and strived for balance. Now we are getting some W's. Hopefully he stays with that. We have seen failed coaches briefly make changes but then just couldn't resist doing it their way. I think he's smart enough to stick with it going forward. Saturday will be a big test of that. I'm looking forward to that.

To be clear I wasn't talking about people being above critique. My post was about the fact that we finally have some positive things happening and we should all be enjoying it and be focused on it yet we have some childish people trying to play gotcha. What makes it worse is they are off the mark with their attempts.
Last edited by winwave on Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

greenphantom
Swell

We really need to win this game and make a Bowl. I don’t feel very good about next year as being a break through year with the losses we are going to suffer on defense. Plus we lose Hilliard on offense. Now or never. Roll Wave
RobertM320
Green Wave

greenphantom wrote:We really need to win this game and make a Bowl. I don’t feel very good about next year as being a break through year with the losses we are going to suffer on defense. Plus we lose Hilliard on offense. Now or never. Roll Wave
I think we'll be fine at RB next year. I've been pleased with Bradwell, and Corey Dauphine will be eligible next season.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
DrBox
Riptide

DfromCT wrote:
BS flag on this post. The diehards that post here, myself included, couldn't get Rick Dickson out soon enough, and all complained about Cowen. As a matter of fact, most of us referred to the two as "CowDick."

So don't even think about telling us diehards how we should or shouldn't react to the outcome of the game Saturday. We've suffered long enough that we're entitled to our opinions without worrying about the likes of you judging whether or not we're true to Tulane. Let's face it: Tulane has more apathetic alumni by a HUGE margin than it does diehard fans. The apathy is what got us 15 years of CowDick, and lead to Cowen being "honored" by the University. The few hundred diehards should be above critique.
I didn't say die hards on here gave us Dickson...I said the people who gave us Dickson for 10 years were die hards, which they were.
Where did I tell you how to react if Tulane lost? Where did I say that fans on here weren't die hard? Where did you get the idea that all die hard fans agree with you and post on this board?
The reality is that some die hard fans (the ones with $$$) perpetuated Dickson; some die hard fans took 10 years to get over Scelfo's dismissal and never will get over Jones. Some die hard fans judge a coach by their personal access. It goes on and on.
greenphantom
Swell

RobertM320 wrote:
greenphantom wrote:We really need to win this game and make a Bowl. I don’t feel very good about next year as being a break through year with the losses we are going to suffer on defense. Plus we lose Hilliard on offense. Now or never. Roll Wave
I think we'll be fine at RB next year. I've been pleased with Bradwell, and Corey Dauphine will be eligible next season.
For sure we have some other good RBs but I doubt Bradwell or Dauphine will be as good next year as Hilliard is this year. Our passing game should be better but the defense will likely take a major step back.
waveclem
Surge

DrBox wrote:I didn't say die hards on here gave us Dickson...I said the people who gave us Dickson for 10 years were die hards, which they were.
Where did I tell you how to react if Tulane lost? Where did I say that fans on here weren't die hard? Where did you get the idea that all die hard fans agree with you and post on this board?
The reality is that some die hard fans (the ones with $$$) perpetuated Dickson; some die hard fans took 10 years to get over Scelfo's dismissal and never will get over Jones. Some die hard fans judge a coach by their personal access. It goes on and on.
Thanks for clearing that up. I looked back on your post and didn't see where you were critical of the fans on this board. I completely agree with your comment on "personal access over winning." I seen it first hand.
anEngineer
Riptide

greenphantom wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:
For sure we have some other good RBs but I doubt Bradwell or Dauphine will be as good next year as Hilliard is this year. Our passing game should be better but the defense will likely take a major step back.
So we are officially complaining about next year already? We don't even have a recruiting class signed yet. We don't know what players may come from juco sources. We don't know what current players may be ready to step up and play better next year. We don't know what scheme changes may be made to fit next year's personnel. Given all of that, it would seem that complaining at this point would be just making stuff up.
Wave QB
Swell

winwave wrote:
Those comments belong on the other board that fully supported that regime and tried to cut out anybody that wanted to speak the truth. They aren't die-hards. They are wavetraders.

As for WF no he hasn't coached at this level. Everyone wants to say that the AAC is so much better than the Sunbelt. So no he hasn't been here. He had a tried and true formula at the lower levels and thought he could pull it off the same way here. He liked to espouse how winning the turnover battle would almost always lead to wins. Well we usually have won those but the W's didn't come with that. He was much too conservative which almost led to him losing the team. To his credit he's come around and strived for balance. Now we are getting some W's. Hopefully he stays with that. We have seen failed coaches briefly make changes but then just couldn't resist doing it their way. I think he's smart enough to stick with it going forward. Saturday will be a big test of that. I'm looking forward to that.

To be clear I wasn't talking about people being above critique. My post was about the fact that we finally have some positive things happening and we should all be enjoying it and be focused on it yet we have some childish people trying to play gotcha. What makes it worse is they are off I the mark with their attempts.
You are being way to tough on the Sun Belt and overrating the American. This isn't the SEC compared to C-USA, so to say we are "so much better" than the Sun Belt wouldn't be accurate. I watched Memphis recover an on-side kick to hold on the a victory vs ULM. I didn't see "so much better" in that game as far a talent and coaching. ULM could have beat them. Let's not forget that it took us overtime to beat ULL last year. If we were "so much better", we would have showed it on the field. Speaking of last year, Arkansas State blew Central Florida away in the Cure Bowl. I also remember us flopping against Tulsa in our American Conference debut, but Sun Belt newcomer Texas State blowing them out a later.

I do agree that the American is better, but let's not overrate our conference. I am just happy that we won more than 1 American game this year and are in line for a Bowl trip.
Wave QB
Swell

Yeah. We really need to win. However, we really don't know how things are going to be like next. We have to see what this freshman class and transfer list looks like.
greenphantom
Swell

anEngineer wrote:
greenphantom wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:
So we are officially complaining about next year already? We don't even have a recruiting class signed yet. We don't know what players may come from juco sources. We don't know what current players may be ready to step up and play better next year. We don't know what scheme changes may be made to fit next year's personnel. Given all of that, it would seem that complaining at this point would be just making stuff up.
Oh lord. Did you even read my post? I didn’t even say anything about recruiting, much less complain about it. I said we need to win today to get into a bowl because I’m not sold next year will be better with the losses on D. Sure, we could have a good recruiting class but it’s unlikely we aren’t going to take a step back losing Nickerson, Aruna, Wilson, Marbley, Harris.
Wave QB
Swell

greenphantom wrote:
anEngineer wrote:
greenphantom wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:
Oh lord. Did you even read my post? I didn’t even say anything about recruiting, much less complain about it. I said we need to win today to get into a bowl because I’m not sold next year will be better with the losses on D. Sure, we could have a good recruiting class but it’s unlikely we aren’t going to take a step back losing Nickerson, Aruna, Wilson, Marbley, Harris.
Good points.
Wavetrader
Low Tide

Can we stop with the narrative that Willie almost lost the team? Who originated this? Someone saw Banks yelling on the sideline? I'm betting he was pissed he misread his RPO read again. I'm connected as well as most with the players and coaches and not once has anyone with the program mentioned losing faith this year. After the Cincy loss, teams under CJ, Toledo, and Scelfo would've folded for the season like a cheap plastic chair.

And let's wait until Spring Ball before we start panicking for next year. I'm most concerned about Wilson and Nickerson on D. We'll be fine in other spots including LBs and DE.
"There is winning and there is misery". BP
galvezwave
Swell

Wavetrader wrote:Can we stop with the narrative that Willie almost lost the team? Who originated this? Someone saw Banks yelling on the sideline? I'm betting he was pissed he misread his RPO read again. I'm connected as well as most with the players and coaches and not once has anyone with the program mentioned losing faith this year. After the Cincy loss, teams under CJ, Toledo, and Scelfo would've folded for the season like a cheap plastic chair.

And let's wait until Spring Ball before we start panicking for next year. I'm most concerned about Wilson and Nickerson on D. We'll be fine in other spots including LBs and DE.

There are several playmakers coming back on defense. Tulane has successfully replaced every running back since Jamaican dartez!

Not to say the d will be the steel curtain, but it also could possibly not step back much
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Wave QB wrote:
winwave wrote:

To be clear I wasn't talking about people being above critique. My post was about the fact that we finally have some positive things happening and we should all be enjoying it and be focused on it yet we have some childish people trying to play gotcha. What makes it worse is they are off I the mark with their attempts.
You are being way to tough on the Sun Belt and overrating the American. This isn't the SEC compared to C-USA, so to say we are "so much better" than the Sun Belt wouldn't be accurate. I watched Memphis recover an on-side kick to hold on the a victory vs ULM. I didn't see "so much better" in that game as far a talent and coaching. ULM could have beat them. Let's not forget that it took us overtime to beat ULL last year. If we were "so much better", we would have showed it on the field. Speaking of last year, Arkansas State blew Central Florida away in the Cure Bowl. I also remember us flopping against Tulsa in our American Conference debut, but Sun Belt newcomer Texas State blowing them out a later.

I do agree that the American is better, but let's not overrate our conference. I am just happy that we won more than 1 American game this year and are in line for a Bowl trip.
Go back and read my post. I was saying that others like to say it's so much better so then they can't come and say he has coached at this level then. As to the difference in the two no doubt AAC is better. How much better can always be debated. You cherry picked some games which proves nothing.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

greenphantom wrote:
anEngineer wrote:
greenphantom wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:
We don't lose Harris. We do lose Franklin and Carroll too. The loss of Eldrick Washington hurt this year too and he's graduating also. So it is a legitimate concern. There hasn't been any indication that we are looking at JC's or grad transfers up till now. Hopefullu we do get some at key positions especially along the D-line.
DrBox
Riptide

winwave wrote: To be clear I wasn't talking about people being above critique. My post was about the fact that we finally have some positive things happening and we should all be enjoying it and be focused on it yet we have some childish people trying to play gotcha. What makes it worse is they are off the mark with their attempts.
Fair enough.
greenphantom
Swell

winwave wrote:
greenphantom wrote:
anEngineer wrote:
greenphantom wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:
We don't lose Harris. We do lose Franklin and Carroll too. The loss of Eldrick Washington hurt this year too and he's graduating also. So it is a legitimate concern. There hasn't been any indication that we are looking at JC's or grad transfers up till now. Hopefullu we do get some at key positions especially along the D-line.
Thanks. I meant to say Franklin, not Harris. Overall my point was that I really hope we can take of business tomorrow and get to a bowl now cause I don’t think it’s a slam dunk that we’ll continue to trend upward next year like some people seem to think. I do think Banks could have a big year but we could still have another 4-6 win season.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I agree 100% galvez. You are not out in the wilderness in your thinking. Most fans see it your way. Don't let the yoggie types keep you from calling it like it is.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Need Some Help...the game will be on CBS Sports Network...does Cox Cable in Metairie carry this feed ?
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Yes. Channel 1315.It is on an extra tier. I think it adds $5 a month along with other channels.
greenphantom
Swell

winwave wrote:I agree 100% galvez. You are not out in the wilderness in your thinking. Most fans see it your way. Don't let the yoggie types keep you from calling it like it is.
Pretty sure Galvez drinks the green yoggie Kool Aid based on his above comment that we return several playmakers on defense. That’s a stretch and harkens to the days when the YOGWF oracles predicted Scelfo coached teams were maybe 1 Player away from busting the BCS
galvezwave
Swell

greenphantom wrote:
winwave wrote:I agree 100% galvez. You are not out in the wilderness in your thinking. Most fans see it your way. Don't let the yoggie types keep you from calling it like it is.
Pretty sure Galvez drinks the green yoggie Kool Aid based on his above comment that we return several playmakers on defense. That’s a stretch and harkens to the days when the YOGWF oracles predicted Scelfo coached teams were maybe 1 Player away from busting the BCS
Hahaha. That's Choice. Teamer, Sample, Kennedy and Harris are capable guys that make plays. At the end of the day, the defense is serviceable for the aac if the offense functions like it should. Lewis has had his moments as well. defense has been good enough to win the entire month of November. If they keep smu below 30 maybe good enough for another w. I didn't say they were good, but enough to have a chance to win.