Fall Camp 2017

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Depth at DB:

http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans/ ... f99ec.html

Still having issues on the O-Line.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

winwave
Top of the WAVE

winwave
Top of the WAVE

The passing game is alive:

http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans/ ... c05cb.html

After watching the film I'm surprised we aren't looking at him as a DT. We have some good O-Line commits and we definitely need to restock the D-Line.
alumniwave
Low Tide

Some recent nice recruits! See the team rising step by step.
greenphantom
Swell

winwave wrote:The passing game is alive:

http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans/ ... c05cb.html

After watching the film I'm surprised we aren't looking at him as a DT. We have some good O-Line commits and we definitely need to restock the D-Line.
Good news to hear that Banks is progressing. Interestingly, Tulane had some interest in De’Andre Johnson, the QB at Last Chance U abd FSU QB prior to that. I'm watching Season 2 and one of the EMCC coaches mentions how he was on the phone with the Tulane Coach about De'Andre. Wonder how far that went.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Top of the WAVE

GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

Ugh.. I hope we get some stability on our O-Line soon. At least we now have a QB that can take off on broken plays, but it's still disconcerting that our O-Line isn't progressing as fast as hoped. "Tulane’s pass blocking, nearly nonexistent in the spring game, has been inconsistent in the preseason. Aside from center Junior Diaz and left tackle John Leglue, the other three starters have not proved they can hold up in the American Athletic Conference."
galvezwave
Swell

GreenPuddleSplash wrote:
Ugh.. I hope we get some stability on our O-Line soon. At least we now have a QB that can take off on broken plays, but it's still disconcerting that our O-Line isn't progressing as fast as hoped. "Tulane’s pass blocking, nearly nonexistent in the spring game, has been inconsistent in the preseason. Aside from center Junior Diaz and left tackle John Leglue, the other three starters have not proved they can hold up in the American Athletic Conference."
Well, from "nonexistent" spring to "inconsistent " now is an improvement, right? That's my rationale. the line is not going to be good. hoping to step up from "worst in history " to just "plain bad to sometimes serviceable. "
winwave
Top of the WAVE

winwave
Top of the WAVE

winwave
Top of the WAVE

winwave
Top of the WAVE

winwave
Top of the WAVE

winwave
Top of the WAVE

winwave
Top of the WAVE

winwave
Top of the WAVE

winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote:
NOLABigSteve wrote:
DfromCT wrote:Very interesting that so many true freshman are pushing their way into playing time roles and into the 2 deep depth charts. This class that was panned by the ranking services (and many here) may turn out to be one that's long on addressing needs, if short on adding ratings services stars and high grades.
Forever a "young" team...
I hear you, Steve. I'm a big proponent of looking at the two deep depth chart and seeing how many upperclassmen are on it to predict how a season will go. See my posts from last summer when I was panned for saying we would only win 4 games. Yes, we COULD have won more, but factors such as inexperience, inexperience in a brand new system, and players recruited for an entirely different offense held us back.

How often did we hear Fritz say "We need more football players that can compete at the D1 level"? We have found a few more. We'll be young, and it may be that we're improved but with no better record this year than last. But we're building. It is going to take a couple of upsets, but I don't think 6 wins is out of the question, as I did a year ago (despite a much tougher schedule in 2017.)
D- 6 wins is not hard to imagine at all. We start w/Grambling. We then get Navy who took a big step back when Worth went down and they went to the kid that will be QB'ing them this season. Their D will get exposed as it will be on the field longer. After Oklahoma we get Army. So start 3-1. Of the 8 games left you have FIU,ECU,SMU and Cincy. At least 3 wins there if not all 4. So the thing to dream about is getting 8 wins with one of those being an upset and we start getting some attention.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
NOLABigSteve wrote:
DfromCT wrote:Very interesting that so many true freshman are pushing their way into playing time roles and into the 2 deep depth charts. This class that was panned by the ranking services (and many here) may turn out to be one that's long on addressing needs, if short on adding ratings services stars and high grades.
Forever a "young" team...
I hear you, Steve. I'm a big proponent of looking at the two deep depth chart and seeing how many upperclassmen are on it to predict how a season will go. See my posts from last summer when I was panned for saying we would only win 4 games. Yes, we COULD have won more, but factors such as inexperience, inexperience in a brand new system, and players recruited for an entirely different offense held us back.

How often did we hear Fritz say "We need more football players that can compete at the D1 level"? We have found a few more. We'll be young, and it may be that we're improved but with no better record this year than last. But we're building. It is going to take a couple of upsets, but I don't think 6 wins is out of the question, as I did a year ago (despite a much tougher schedule in 2017.)
D- 6 wins is not hard to imagine at all. We start w/Grambling. We then get Navy who took a big step back when Worth went down and they went to the kid that will be QB'ing them this season. Their D will get exposed as it will be on the field longer. After Oklahoma we get Army. So start 3-1. Of the 8 games left you have FIU,ECU,SMU and Cincy. At least 3 wins there if not all 4. So the thing to dream about is getting 8 wins with one of those being an upset and we start getting some attention.
We could just as easily start 1-3 as 3-1. Army is much improved, and Navy may have the best coach in the AAC. We play Navy on the road, where wins are tough to come by against well coached teams. I'm not saying 3-1 is out of the question, but it's far from a given. Remember, there's a reason why all 30 voters picked us DFL in the AAC West. We will be underdogs vs. Cincy and SMU. Yes, 8 wins would raise an eyebrow or two, but getting 6 out of this schedule given we are in year 2 of a 180 degree transformation is still going to require an upset or two.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
winwave
Top of the WAVE

We could well start 1-3.We certainly agree on that. I was just addressing the road to the 6 wins which you have mentioned hoping for a few times. As to wins over Cincy and SMU being viewed as upsets we'll have to agree to disagree. They may be favored but beating them is certainly realistic and thus I don't view it as an upset and most football fans wouldn't notice. When I refer to an upset that would be Oklahoma, USF and Memphis on this schedule.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

I'm inclined to agree with D to the extent that 6 is extremely unlikely. Tulane would need to win at least 3 of its first 6 (Grambling, @Navy, @Oklahoma, Army, Tulsa, and @FIU) to have a chance at 6 wins overall, since winning more than 3 of the back 6 (USF, @Memphis, Cincinnati, @ECU, Houston, and @SMU) would be virtually impossible for most G5s that are not expected to compete for the G5 access bowl spot (i.e. Boise/SDSU/half the AAC West/USF/etc.) and Tulane is not in that position. It's currently unclear if Tulane has the offense (QB+OL+WR+TE+RB) to be competitive enough to win even the projected easier 6 of those 12 games (Grambling, Army, @FIU, Cincinnati, @ECU, and @SMU).
Last edited by Aberzombie1892 on Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:32 am, edited 2 times in total.